• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Yhochanan

SPNer
Oct 10, 2012
I hope I am posting 'about myself' in the correct place and, if not, I apologize but I almost never used forums.
I am Jonathan Ben Yhochanan (ch = r like in rat) Reich Abohab Da Fonseca, borne sixty one years ago in a country that was and is not mine and, this, is a nostalgic proud of mine: I have no mother land. But I am living in a fantastic country: Sweden.
I borne inside of the Hebrew language and culture but soon I did decide to surpass some doubts: being the doubt the worst sin over the planet :swordfight-kudiyan:as we use to be teach, I did decide to go forth with the meta of solving one by one.
Our studies are very, very extensive but I did need do not accumulate and walking in my search after search, I did my studies, I reach my graduations... always finishing to begin.
Taoism has been the one that better did consolidate what I am today: a searcher. But has been the same Taoism that made me discover/read the Siri Guru Granth Sahib: a fantastic laud to the Supreme, the One Name that is truth.
And here I am, ignorant again icecreammundadecided to go deep in knowing and, above all, in the practice.
But I am not alone in this: with me is my dear wife and my dearest young daughter.
I know several languages where Sanskrit is included, if one can say that knows Sanskrit :) but at least the Devanagari is a way for me to write since more than fifty years ago. Well, this will help easily in the Gurmurkhi. Of course, being Hebrew my mother language, the Arabic is my hunt (at least) and, of course, that Arabic and some more Aramaic forms with the Sanskrit helps a lot in the Urdu understanding.
But because I went to Portugal at my three years old and I did learn this language that is, for sure, my step mother language, immediately languages like Spanish, French and Italian become common in my mouth and understanding and more because in the school, in Portugal, Latin and Classical Greek was obligatory as a seven years study.
This is why I know there is a God that is deep interested in me, keeping me humble: I know many languages but I am very bad in speaking them.
So and for now
Here I am for you
and hoping you have patience with me.
Be all deep Blessed
Jonathan Reich Da Fonseca:redturban:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Welcome, Jonathan ji,

welcomemunda

Guru certainly does call interesting people, really.

Since you have such an aptitude for language, perhaps you will be able to learn some of the languages that Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji is written in. I know there are at least 6.

One of my favorite quotes

"When you doubt, find out why.
When you do not doubt, find out why."

I see we are near contemporaries, so welcome again! Share a nice cuppa, relax, and enjoy.

gingerteakaur :singhsippingcoffee:​

Oct 29, 2010
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Jonathan Ben Yhochanan Reich Abohab Da Fonseca Ji,
I am intrigued – you do not have a motherland although your name, if I guess correctly has Jewish, German, Arabic and Portuguese or Goan elements in it.
May be you can enlighten us on your historical background – I am sure people would be interested.
<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Yhochanan

SPNer
Oct 10, 2012
I born Jewish in Israel, East side Jerusalem at that time Palestinian. My name Is full Hebrew and, of course, being Hebrew one of the several Aramaic forms, some are quite like Quranic Arabic, also Syriac Aramaic. Fonseca is a Jewish Ladino and Galaico-Portuguese name but comes from the Jewish community in Austria Fon Sakas, that is my real name but I rather prefare to keep the Ladino Sefaradic form at least, because, Fon, Von or Ben means the same 'son of' and I am already Ben or 'son of someone, at the beginning of my name and son of one is already enough :grinningsingh:
Now, Saka comes directly from India and more properly from the Pali (more than the Sanskrit) and this because in one generation we use to live in several different countries.
I hope this clarify and I will have all pleasure in clarify all I can
Sincerely
Jonathan:mundaviolin:

Yhochanan

SPNer
Oct 10, 2012
Six languages... Please can you enlighten me telling the name of the six, because can happen I had been near by.
Gurmurkhi sillabary it is not difficult to me once that I use systematically the Devanagari; now, Kanda, Tamil and other too much round characters are difficult to draw, to melol .... Khmer is terrible hahahahahaha seems to be that one need to has parkinson for to be able to draw that letters :grinningsingh:
But I know Mandarin Chinese for a lot of years and yet I have a teacher.
I don't know if I will have free time to go further because I did let pass to much life time puting appart or... delaying my Sikh studies... But, please, tell me what six are the languages. Anyway, I hope that the Siri Guru Granth Sahib is only in Gurmurkhi...
I deep thank you
Thank you for to be able to learn from all You
Sincerely
Jonatahn

I like this symbos animatedkhanda1

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Six languages... Please can you enlighten me telling the name of the six, because can happen I had been near by.
Gurmurkhi sillabary it is not difficult to me once that I use systematically the Devanagari; now, Kanda, Tamil and other too much round characters are difficult to draw, to melol .... Khmer is terrible hahahahahaha seems to be that one need to has parkinson for to be able to draw that letters :grinningsingh:
But I know Mandarin Chinese for a lot of years and yet I have a teacher.
I don't know if I will have free time to go further because I did let pass to much life time puting appart or... delaying my Sikh studies... But, please, tell me what six are the languages. Anyway, I hope that the Siri Guru Granth Sahib is only in Gurmurkhi...
I deep thank you
Thank you for to be able to learn from all You
Sincerely
Jonatahn

I like this symbos animatedkhanda1

SGGS ji is all written in Gurmukhi script which fortunately is phonetic. Gurmukhi is not a language. Some of the languages are Punjabi, Hindi, Sanskrit, Sehskrit, Braj, and Persian. I got that information from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_language_is_the_Guru_Granth_Sahib_written_in

:) Yeah, I like that symbol, too. animatedkhanda1

Yhochanan

SPNer
Oct 10, 2012
Yes, I am aware of all this languages, many of them dialects more than languages like, for instance, Pali was very near Sanskrit and Hindi and the same way the Sanskrit: more or less like Portuguese and Spanish that are two languages only for to keep well differentiate the frontiers but, in fact, in many aspects are dialects... well, some of them will be offended with this I am telling_()_
Now, Sehskrit... Hmmm this I am not seeing what and where is/was placed.
Braj, Marathi, this I am aware - only aware:happymunda: but not Sehskrit...
Yes, the other reality that sometimes I forget is that the Indian Continent contains a lot of sillabaries/phonetics that one could choose in function of the material where one would write. Also ad many times, for to keep traditions under secrecy this different alphabets was created, like did happen also in Europe where Runic, having many forms, is only one of the many. The same with the Aramaic that joins together with India by Persia and expands across all middle and minor East going down across all Africa. I can understand them but they have many alphabets and I can not read them mundahug
So and this I did forgot, Gurmurkhi is a phonetic alphabet that is to near the Devanagari and that, several years ago, I use to read it as an exercise for to fix well the Devanagari.
Well, I knew about Punjabi but I did not associate to/with Gurmurkhi...
It is great
I am remembering and learning a lot
and I deep thank you_()_
A Deep Bless
Jonathan

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Welcome to recenenly joined members as in love and peace ji, sukhdev singh grewal ji, Parmjeet ji, Yhochanan ji and Elijah sebothoma ji. May your stay be long and fulfillment deep.

Please don't be shy to start new threads in appropriate sections as to what you want to interact upon. We all learn as we participate.

Welcome again. peacesign :interestedmunda: :sippingcoffeemunda: mundahug

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

Welcome Yhochanan. welcomekaurwelcomemunda

I am Swedish on my mom's side. :)

Love and Light,
Nam Jiwan

Yes, I am aware of all this languages, many of them dialects more than languages like, for instance, Pali was very near Sanskrit and Hindi and the same way the Sanskrit: more or less like Portuguese and Spanish that are two languages only for to keep well differentiate the frontiers but, in fact, in many aspects are dialects... well, some of them will be offended with this I am telling_()_
Now, Sehskrit... Hmmm this I am not seeing what and where is/was placed.
Braj, Marathi, this I am aware - only aware:happymunda: but not Sehskrit...
Yes, the other reality that sometimes I forget is that the Indian Continent contains a lot of sillabaries/phonetics that one could choose in function of the material where one would write. Also ad many times, for to keep traditions under secrecy this different alphabets was created, like did happen also in Europe where Runic, having many forms, is only one of the many. The same with the Aramaic that joins together with India by Persia and expands across all middle and minor East going down across all Africa. I can understand them but they have many alphabets and I can not read them mundahug
So and this I did forgot, Gurmurkhi is a phonetic alphabet that is to near the Devanagari and that, several years ago, I use to read it as an exercise for to fix well the Devanagari.
Well, I knew about Punjabi but I did not associate to/with Gurmurkhi...
It is great
I am remembering and learning a lot
and I deep thank you_()_
A Deep Bless
Jonathan

johnlionking

SPNer
Oct 15, 2012
Austin, TX
Hello everyone I'm John, I'm a European-American from Austin, Texas.

I'm here to learn about Sikhism because I have felt an urge to convert and to change my lifestyle, and would like to know more about what that would entail.

About my path: I was brought up in a non-religious household (Christmas-Easter-Funeral Christians) and spent most of my life up until about a year or two ago fluctuating between agnosticism and atheism. I've recently felt a calling toward God from my spiritual side and have been searching for the right path. I experimented with Buddhist meditation which I found beneficial in reducing stress and increasing perspective, but still wanted to learn how to worship God, something that Buddhism does not discuss. I then explored Christianity and then Islam, but abandoned both due to some of the off-putting passages in scripture (calls to violence) and both religions' godlike elevation of their "final messengers". I was also turned off by the rigid approach to worship which seemed to shun the spiritual aspects of having a relationship with God. No disrespect meant to any of the religions I have mentioned. One thing is for sure and that is that I believe in one and only one God. Okay, sorry for the rant.

Please feel free to PM me for any reason and especially if you can share any resources that could educate me on what my daily practices would be once becoming a Khalsa, should I choose that path. I have seen many great guides concerning Sikhi philosophy (which I have found very enlightening) but few resources regarding the practical aspects of Sikh life and application of philosophy (other than basics such as the five K's, etc.). Although I have white skin, I would like to stay away from 3HO or Sikhnet because from what I can already tell, they seem to have taken quite a bit of liberty in their interpretation of Sikhism.

Thanks everyone, have a nice day.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Welcome Johnlionking ji.

I suggest that you let Sikhism grow from inside out. At your own pace search this forum, ask questions, start thread(s). Many a times most simple and direct questions unfold into great learning for all.

I suggest you pay attention to some the following sub-forums and at your own pace to start,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/new-to-sikhism/
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sukhmani-sahib/
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/bani-sheikh-farid/
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sidh-gosht/
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/jap-ji-sahib/

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: