• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

jachewning

SPNer
Jul 8, 2012
Massachusetts
I'm Josh, 24 years old and from the US. Been reading about various religions for almost 10 years but it wasn't until recently I came across Sikhi. What I have read so far just seemed to click. I want to know more and possibly take this path as my own but have little or no idea where to start. Aspects of converting that seem difficult for some like waking up early, saying prayers, wearing special articles of clothing are things I don't fear because I have done such things at one time or another. Looking forward to meeting good people and learning everything I can.

illykitty

SPNer
Jul 3, 2012
Hello, I'm new here! I've only been interested in Sikhism for a few months. I grew up without religion so I've been in the last years searching for something that feels right and true to me. I've posted on some religious forums and also took a belief o matic test. Sikhism has been my 100% for some time now as my beliefs have setteled.

So ive been reading more about it, visited my local Gurdwara in Leamington Spa, England and I'm hoping to learn some more by coming here. I'm not sure yet if I want to be a Sikh but it seems to be the most fitting path for me. Looking forward to talk to you all some more!

See you around! :sippingcoffee:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
welcomekaur
A very warm welcome to all newcomers. It is wonderful to see so many new voices here and will help to diversify the discussions. I hope you all find what you are looking for.

A note to Francessca ji, I am incredibly sorry for the way you have been treated. It was wrong and I hope your partner realises this. I wish you lots of luck through this difficult time kaurhug

mariposazul

SPNer
Mar 9, 2011
Sat Sri Akal Josh,

Welcome.

What helped me initially, was reading up on the history. I recommend "The Sikhs" by Patwant Singh. He is a respected historian and author among Sikhs and it is a very thorough and easy to follow read. This book helped me understand where our 10 first Guru's were coming from and about the cultural aspects then and that even remain now that influenced them in making the decisions they did and forming the path. You can get this book perhaps at your library, local Sikh bookstore or even online on Amazon.

As well I began just doing Simran (naam jap) Wahe Guru in the morning as I woke up and then before bed, 1 minute, then 5 minute, now it can go 20 or 30 or just all day in my mind, slowly slowly I added then a bani and the next and so forth. Read it with attention and focus and then the rest will unfold. Language should not be a barrier, because there are good translations now a days along with transliteration and Gurmukhi script along side.

The rest in all due honesty, will unfold when it is time to do so.

Inderjot Kaur

:whatzpointkudi:

mariposazul

SPNer
Mar 9, 2011
Sat Sri Akal Francesa,

One thing is true, is that many of the Sikh women in the times of our Gurus were very brave, just like you who are braving through this situation, they faced amazing odds and came out stronger, not to sound cliche-ish, but it is true, based on history and action.

You can find strength and know that in the end of it all, even with Sikhs, it is Wahe Guru ji, the Creator that accepts us and your baby into the fold, whether it will be Sikhi or some other path, the end result of a true Sikh, baptized or not, born into a Sikh family or stumbled across it by destiny is an eternal student that seeks to evolve in mind and character to serve humanity and at the end of this life go back to the source.

You may encounter some rejection, but remember this is purely cultural, not a hukam (mandate/order) by the True Guru or any of our Enlightened Masters or Eternal Master Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

Remember Chardi Kala, to be always in high spirits.

Inderjot Kaur
:whatzpointkudi:

kaku

SPNer
Jul 18, 2012
Sat Shri Akal. I am a hindu but have faith in the Gurus and i do not differenciate between the Revered Gurus and the Hindu Gods. For me they are the same .They all tell us the right path for eternal peace.The path of bliss. I may be wrong but this is all i can say .

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Sat Shri Akal. I am a hindu but have faith in the Gurus and i do not differenciate between the Revered Gurus and the Hindu Gods. For me they are the same .They all tell us the right path for eternal peace.The path of bliss. I may be wrong but this is all i can say .

welcomekaur welcomemunda welcomemunda welcomekaur

People of all faiths are welcome here. We are happy to have you join us. Of course, our belief is very different from yours, but, as you say, we all strive for the same goal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: