• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

soon2bkaur

SPNer
Jun 23, 2011
Hi, everyone.

My name is Annie, I live in the United States. I grew up Christian, but it didn't feel right for me. I have been studying other religions off and on since I was a teenager, being particularly drawn to Judaism and Hinduism.

Now the time seems right for me to begin learning about Sikhi. The few turbaned Sikhs I have met were very kind, so I was curious to learn more about the kind Sikh people. I especially like how they believe in gender equality, discourage superstition, and try to protect the weak. Those values come very naturally to me.

My main goals in this life are to search for truth (or what rings true to me), and learn as much as I can in the time I have here.

Very Nice to meet you Annie! I also grew up in a Christian (Catholic) home, but never feeling at home. My husband is very supportive of me, and my religion is a very big part of my life... he may not like that I don't shave, but, oh well, lol....Yes, I have so many questions to ask, but there is a bit of a launguage barrier at the Gurdwara that I go to ... but hopefully my shyness will go away and I can ask more questions... If you like, you can e-mail me and maybe we can learn together! Good luck, may we find the true way of Waheguru!
~Erinwelcomekaur

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
soon2bkaur ji

Welcome to SPN welcomekaur We had a bit of a downtime here last week. I think you may be one of the first new members to inaugurate life on a new server. Something to celebrate.

You will get answers to your questions. They are so very interesting. Over time they will make for interesting discussion.

Enjoy your hours here.

Let me tackle some of your questions

1. Prayer, what prayers do you do daily? Is it just the Jahji Sahib? Or others? There are required prayers, or Nitnem, for different times of the day. These are required of only amritdhari or baptized Sikhs. However most Sikhs do recite all of them. The best suggestion I can make on this point is to go to http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net and click on Gurbani, then you will see links that take you to these prayers. You can pray along with video/audio or just read using the scroll down option. http://www.rajkaregakhalsa.net/sikhprayers.htm However Japji is a great start. Don't rush.

2. How do you learn Gurbani? Are there common songs? Where can you learn to sing them or play them?

There are many dozens of "gurbani kirtan". Closest thing you can get to common hymns of Christian Churches, and sung at those Christian services. However, there are many more of these "gurbani kirtan." And it takes a ragi or performer of kirtan years to develop a repertoire of only a fraction of the total. The entire collection are shabads from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. You should visit our thread Gurmat Gian Group for access to some exquisitely beautiful kirtan with Punjabi and English subtitles. These are produced by the wife and daughter of one of the SPN members, Dr. Manbir Singh. You will not regret time spent there http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurmat-sangeet/23629-gurmat-gian-group.html

3. My hair is very VERY short right now (growing it out), am I allowed to wear a turban, or is a chunni better, and is it for everyday or only at prayer? Yes you may wear a turban, or a chunni. There is no required headwear for women, except in gurdwara. There are some sects of Sikhi that require a woman to keep her hair covered at all times, for example, female members of AKJ consider turbans a kakkar or article of faith (like a 6th k) and wear them all the time. You may wear a turban all day and all night if you wish. A chunni all day and all night might be impractical though.

4. The 5 k's... do you start wearing them when you are new or just when you take amrit? At any time, but always remember these are more than symbols. When you wear them you are declaring your commitment to what they symbolize.

5. My husband is not Sikh, is that a problem? No. "A Sikh may only marry a Sikh (Sikh Rehat Maryada). If you are already married, certainly no Sikh would encourage divorce. It goes against the grain. Sometimes however the difference in religioius belief can put strain on a marriage.

6. Is there a home version of the Guru Granth Sahib?"]Not exactly. We have one or two links on this subject already posted. It might take a while to find those threads. It is possible to acquire your own copy of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, but it must be cared for as it is in gurdwara. More on that perhaps in another discussion. You can download from the Internet Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. You can do it here.

and 7....
If there is a Sikh in South Florida that can tutor me in such things as Gurbani, Punjabi, prayer or anything, please let me know!!!

I do not know if you will find a tutor. However, in Tampa there is a very active sangat and gurdwara. Perhaps someone there ca help you find a tutor.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Dear Soon2bkaur Ji

Firstly Welcome ,I'm new to here too by the way!

In context to Isna Ji's ship another comment only (not a debate):Religion is kind of like a cruise ship ,we are all on it together .But we are all going to the same destination ,just don't jump overboard!

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dear Isna and Newbie Ji's
Religion is kind of like a cruise ship ,we are all on it doing each there own thing .But we are all going to the same destination ,and no matter what cruise line you use,the brand and route may differ, but the destination is the same.

Introducing Myself is not the place to conduct a debate on the similarities and differences between religions on specific and core matters of belief. Therefore I will not do that. However, one should note that some Sikhs may subscribe to the above; others may not. I personally do not. The point made by forum member Prakash S. Baggu, however, is, without argument, consistent with SGGS and should be taken as a starting point for understanding Sikhi. Thank you.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
A warm welcome soon2bkaur ji welcomekaur

Spnadmin ji has done a great job with your questions. Here's an extra little perspective from me too :whatzpointkudi:
1. Prayer, what prayers do you do daily? Is it just the Jahji Sahib? Or others?
Whatever you have time for! Ideally nitnem consists of 5 banis as per SRM. In Panjabbi familes we are taught Japji from a young age.

2. How do you learn Gurbani? Are there common songs? Where can you learn to sing them or play them?
One of my friends learnt to play kirtan on her guitar from watching videos on youtube. Depends how much musical talent you have! :tablakudi:

3. My hair is very VERY short right now (growing it out), am I allowed to wear a turban, or is a chunni better, and is it for everyday or only at prayer?
A turban is more practical than a chunni. Depends on what you are most comfortable with.

4. The 5 k's... do you start wearing them when you are new or just when you take amrit?
When you are comfortable. It is a commitment not to be taken lightly.

5. My husband is not Sikh, is that a problem?
Not at all

6. Is there a home version of the Guru Granth Sahib?
I personally use a copy on my computer.

All the best icecreamkaur

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
hi i am new here..
can anybody translate this for me in english?

Je Sukh Deh Tan Tujeh Araadhi, Dukh Wi Tujeh Dheaayi|| Je Bhukh Deh Tan It Hi Raajan Dukh Wich Sukh Manaahi ||

Thank YoU (=
MsKaur09 ji welcome to spn.

Can you do a bit of favor and see and reference the full shabad that you got it out of. The following may be of help,

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?S=y

Sat Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome MsKaur ji

I hope that SPN is helpful to you in your search for knowledge, wisdom and information. Glad to have you join us !:)

Guru Raam Daas Ji
Raag Soohee
jae sukh dhaehi th thujhehi araadhhee dhukh bhee thujhai dhhiaaee ||2||
If You will bless me with happiness, then I will worship and adore You. Even in pain, I will meditate on You. ||2||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Some recent conversations have been copied as a new thread in the SPN forum Gurmat Vichaar, title ]e sukẖ ḏėh ṯa ṯujẖėh arāḏẖī ḏukẖ bẖī ṯujẖai ḏẖi▫ā▫ī.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Hi my name is Steve and I am not a Sikhi but have been reading about Eastern religions lately including Sikhism. I find it pleasant that many things in Sikism are agreeable to my own traditon (which is Jewish). I live in the Los Angeles area where we do have a number of Sikhs in our city.

Welcome to SPN, Steve ji, welcomekaur

When I was a teenager, one of my Dad's very good friends was a Conservative rabbi. I learned more than I can tell you listening to those two discuss/argue/ hair-split. I don't think any issues were ever settled, but they had a lot of fondness for each other and gobs of mutual respect. (By a lot of fondness, I mean either would have stood in front of a speeding train to save the other.) I have actually written a couple blogposts about the two of them. :noticekudi:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: