• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwardeep singh ji,
about my parents agreeing to it, they would never have any problem in it, because almost all relatives from my father's side are sikh,i mean my dadi's family was a sikh family,but as she got married into a mona family all of us are mona's..wen i was young my father never wanted me to go for a haircut but obviously at that time i was too stupid to understand the importance of my hairs...n today wen i know how much our Gurus have struggled to keep their hairs for the sake the religion i feel that i have been unjust,so my parents would not have any problem....
and for your second qstn i dont really know what i am going to become and what not but i will go as far as i can...

Thanks swati for information .After reading it all I can say that you don't need much help to become sikh as you already are from hindu-sikh family.You already have basic knowledge about sikhism and lifestyle of sikhs.Now it is upto you to decide how much forward you want to move ahead in sikhism.
If you want You can add name kaur to your previous name like swati kaur or you can change your name if you want to.It now totally upto you decide what to do.

swati

SPNer
May 21, 2010
INDIA
Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh,
Thanku so much to all of you for your guidance and support you are making me more stronger and confident thanx a lot....

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwardeep singh ji,
I would love to change my name is there any procedure for that or u change it jst like that??

There is procedure
Sikhism - The Sikh Ceremonies
The Naming Ceremony

The Sikh naming or christening ceremony is well established and it takes place in a Gurdwara8 in the presence of relatives and friends. The family offers donations, Karah Parshad and a Rumala which is a covering for Guru Granth Sahib, made of high quality silk, cotton or embroidered cloth. Prayers are offered asking for a special blessing of good health, long life and the Sikh way of life, Gursikhi for the child.

After reciting Ardas, Guru Granth Sahib is opened at random. The first letter of the first word of the hymn on the page is selected as the first letter of the child's name. The given name is common for either sex. The word Kaur meaning 'princess' is added after a girl's name, and the name Singh meaning 'lion' after a boy's. For example, if the first letter is "P", the male child may be given a name like Partap Singh, Pritam Singh or Puran Singh or any other such name beginning with the letter "P". If the newly-born is a girl the name would like wise be, Partap Kaur, Pritam Kaur or Puran Kaur.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kanwardeep Singh ji

Many thanks for finding this reference. The issue has come up from time to time and a solid Internet source is important to have.:happykaur: I can never find it when I want it. :blushhh:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
There is procedure
Sikhism - The Sikh Ceremonies
The Naming Ceremony

The Sikh naming or christening ceremony is well established and it takes place in a Gurdwara8 in the presence of relatives and friends. The family offers donations, Karah Parshad and a Rumala which is a covering for Guru Granth Sahib, made of high quality silk, cotton or embroidered cloth. Prayers are offered asking for a special blessing of good health, long life and the Sikh way of life, Gursikhi for the child.

After reciting Ardas, Guru Granth Sahib is opened at random. The first letter of the first word of the hymn on the page is selected as the first letter of the child's name. The given name is common for either sex. The word Kaur meaning 'princess' is added after a girl's name, and the name Singh meaning 'lion' after a boy's. For example, if the first letter is "P", the male child may be given a name like Partap Singh, Pritam Singh or Puran Singh or any other such name beginning with the letter "P". If the newly-born is a girl the name would like wise be, Partap Kaur, Pritam Kaur or Puran Kaur.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
:shockedmunda: May I please be an old fogy stickler and vehemently protest against the use of the word "christening"? Christians are christened, not Sikhs. That website ought to be corrected as well. :shockedkudi:

I looked up the definition of christening and it is indeed "The Christian sacrament of baptizing and naming an infant." Oops! I have also written a message to the site asking them to correct this.

Last edited:

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Ss akal ji.
Inexhale ji.

Welcome to sikh philosophy and hope you will have lots to share with us.

"truth is the highest virtue and higher is truthful living" baba nanak dev ji.

Jaspi

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Greetings,
I am no one special. I am a husband and father, and am here to learn about Sikhism - of which I learned of first through Yogi Bhajan.

Inxhale ji,

welcomekaurwelcomemundawelcomekaurwelcomemundawelcomekaurwelcomemunda

Not knowing you, I have no idea how you define "someone special." Whatever else you are, you are unique. You will change the world in some way that no one else could. That's special enough for me.

I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

Chardi kala!

Last edited:

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL Ji

Inexhale Ji.

By sending you my message I am feelings that by grace of God as if I have stepped on
fountains of kindness and knowledge to sublime . I realized from your few words in reply of welcoming Das how much truth you have in your heart.

May sat Guru Nanak Dev Ji bless you to share your blessed wisdom and experiences with all human beings and all Sikhs to retrace their fundamental facts on which Guru Sahib left us to preach and adopt to our lives

For me Guru Nanak Dev Ji 's teaching is extremely transparent which leads to realization to intimate supreme being.

Jaspiwahkaur

polpol

SPNer
Jun 14, 2010
Greetings honorable administrators and members. I am very happy to be here. I am curious of different cultures and religions. I hope to contribute positively to this site and I am sure I will learn a lot.:shy:

issondhi

SPNer
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the welcome. I am an very ordinary person enjoying a very healthy retired
life.God Vaheguruji has blessed me with every thing in life which I desired.Iam thankful
to vaheguruji and pray for enshrinig His Name to help me to lead a remaining Gursikh life.

I wish to be a part of Sikh Philosophy to spread Guru Nanak Devjis message of universal brotherhood,"No body is Hindu or Musalman. One light/soul prevails in all living beings."Guru Gobind Singhji put a seal and declared,'Maanas ki Jaat sabeh ekeh pehchanbo.'' (Human race is one)

God Bless
Iqbal Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
issondhi ji

I truly appreciate your happy and upbeat message. There is so much to be saddened by in this world. You have brought a cheerful note! Many thanks to you. Please participate as much as possible. I will be looking to read your comments. welcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaur

RupinderB

SPNer
Jul 7, 2010
London
Hi people, my name's Rupinder and i've basically joined to get a greater understanding of sikhism as i've already got a basic grasp of it but it's for re-evaluating my own beliefs and what's best for me :)

Hope SPN can help me on my path!!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome RupinderB ji welcomekaurwelcomekaurwelcomekaur As you become more familiar with the workings of the forum and the resources we have here at SPN - I certainly hope that you will participate in our many dialogues and start your own threads. This has been a place of lively debate for some time. If you don't like debate -- that works too. We have quiet places where a member can read, reflect, and listen to gurbani. I hope you take advantage of this site in a way that meets your needs.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: