• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General New Kara

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I need help. I know I've asked before but I always get different answers. What are karas made of? I got one that I think is steel from a friend and I planned on wearing it all the time, only it irritates my skin. I have sensitive skin, always have. Anyway I juggle between wearing it and not. I wear it for 3-10 days before a get a couple itchy bumps on my wrist and then I take it off until it goes away, then repeat the process. I probably shouldn't do this...:unsure:

Anyway I need a new one. Maybe it's just my kara because it isn't pure material. Where can I get a new one?

Hello,

Steel is:

Iron 98%
Chromium
Nickel
Manganese
Sometimes small traces of copper for hardened steel variants.

Stainless steel is usually coated with a dry lube substance (Gilcote or Detrex).

there is another coating with Ferrocote.
THe finnished steel is Hydrotreated with naphthenic mineral oil or petroleum hydrocarbon based lubricating oils containing pretroleum sulphonates and other anti-oxidants.

My guess is that this coating is what is causing the problem or maybe the chromium mixture in the metal.

Solution:
Prolonged skin contact with coated steel may cause skin irritation in sensitive individuals.

Get a Kara which is not coated (ei: not stainless steel) (might not work either)

Or go with Silver/Gold variants

Or get one thats made of plastic coated with a shiny surface :)

Or dont where one. God will still love you ..... blah blah blah

The choice is entirely yours!

Cheers​

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sinister

Thanks for the analysis of the alloy. This is a problem for many people. Some cannot even wear the more inactive metals, such as sliver or gold. You are right-- the chromium might be the problem. Or maybe the nidkel.

The thing to do is to paint the inside of the kara with a few coats of clear nail polish. Every so often remember to put a new coat on because it will wear off.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Generally, if you go to the local gurudwara, they will give you kara free. However, I am unsure of gurudwaras in USA... you may like to give it a try.

Regards.

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, Ji
I understand your difficulty. Sometimes even different grades of Stainless Steel can be a problem with the sensitive skin. The Food Grade 316 is one of the best to wear. One thing you can do, if nothing else works out, is to find a machine shop in your area, one that will work with stainless steel items, and have a kara made to your specifications. Technically we are to wear it all the time, 24/7, so you will want it to fit rather closely, so that it will not fall off your wrist when you go swimming, or play sports. If you wish, please email me at lakeview@khalsa.com and I can help you further- I might be able, if you give me an idea of how big your hands are, to have one made for you here where I am, and send it to your doorstep! It would be my pleasure of a seva! You see, I am most fortunate- I know a nice man who owns a machine shop near where I am, and he has done this sort of custom work before, so he is familiar with the process. (He did such a nice job, his wife requested one, too! After that, I made sure they knew they are invited to Gurdwara anytime, and happily, they have been coming to Gurdwara about once a month now, and they are of the Christian faith! Isn't Guru great?)

SikHannah

SPNer
Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Sat Nam, Ji
I understand your difficulty. Sometimes even different grades of Stainless Steel can be a problem with the sensitive skin. The Food Grade 316 is one of the best to wear. One thing you can do, if nothing else works out, is to find a machine shop in your area, one that will work with stainless steel items, and have a kara made to your specifications. Technically we are to wear it all the time, 24/7, so you will want it to fit rather closely, so that it will not fall off your wrist when you go swimming, or play sports. If you wish, please email me at lakeview@khalsa.com and I can help you further- I might be able, if you give me an idea of how big your hands are, to have one made for you here where I am, and send it to your doorstep! It would be my pleasure of a seva! You see, I am most fortunate- I know a nice man who owns a machine shop near where I am, and he has done this sort of custom work before, so he is familiar with the process. (He did such a nice job, his wife requested one, too! After that, I made sure they knew they are invited to Gurdwara anytime, and happily, they have been coming to Gurdwara about once a month now, and they are of the Christian faith! Isn't Guru great?)

Thanks for the offer, but you don't have to go through the trouble. I have actually been wearing it anyway, and I think somehow my skin is immune to it now, as I have been wearing it for months and had no allergic reactions. Yes, Guru is great! :}{}{}: Thanks again.

Apr 4, 2007
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I need help. I know I've asked before but I always get different answers. What are karas made of? I got one that I think is steel from a friend and I planned on wearing it all the time, only it irritates my skin. I have sensitive skin, always have. Anyway I juggle between wearing it and not. I wear it for 3-10 days before a get a couple itchy bumps on my wrist and then I take it off until it goes away, then repeat the process. I probably shouldn't do this...:unsure:

Anyway I need a new one. Maybe it's just my kara because it isn't pure material. Where can I get a new one?

so technically, i think the kara should be made of iron, which does not contain nickel or chromium.

i used to wear a steel kara (actually i went through three of them) and they all irritated my skin. as soon as i got one made from sarbloh (iron), i stopped having that problem.

you should be able to get sarbloh at a gurdwara. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM