• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Naam Japna

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
mwDau hir hir hir muiK khIAY ]
O Lord, I chant Your Name, Har, Har, Har.

hm qy kCU n hovY suAwmI ijau rwKhu iqau rhIAY ]1] rhwau ]
I cannot do anything by myself, O Lord and Master. As You keep me, so I remain. ||1||Pause||

ikAw ikCu krY ik krxYhwrw ikAw iesu hwiQ ibcwry ]What can the mere mortal do? What is in the hands of this poor creature?

ijqu qum lwvhu iqq hI lwgw pUrn Ksm hmwry ]1]
As You attach us, so we are attached, O my Perfect Lord and Master. ||1||

krhu ik®pw srb ky dwqy eyk rUp ilv lwvhu ]
Take pity on me, O Great Giver of all, that I may enshrine love for Your Form alone.

nwnk kI bynµqI hir pih Apunw nwmu jpwvhu ]2]7]165]

Nanak offers this prayer to the Lord, that he may chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord. ||2||7||165||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Quotes

"Simran to me means remembrance. I know I can recall to memory only those entities whom I know well viz. individuals, events, things, places etc. When I do not know about 'The Sat' (my way of referring to 'The Ultimate') how can I recall "The Sat' in my mind. The stage of evolution I am, contemplating on 'The Sat' is Simran for me. I exercise my mind to coneptualise the 'Nirakaar' i.e. 'The Sat; I think how can I merge with 'The Sat' etc, etc. this is Simran for me.
Repetition of the word by which one refers to 'The Sat' is 'Jaap' for me. If 'Jaap' and 'Simran' were to mean the same, then there was no need for two separate words. These two wards exist because they convey different way of application of mind.
'Simran' and 'Jaap' are two separate practices for mind." by Amarpal Singh

Simran - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Thus, according to the concept of Naam and the hymns quoted earlier in this regard, God created the world and in His immanent aspect, as Naam, is informing and working it. Only one entity, namely, God, is envisaged and the world, in time and space, is His creation, the same being supported and directed by Naam. Let us see if this cosmological view is also supported by other verses in Guru Granth Sahib.

In the very opening verse of Guru Granth Sahib, God is described as the Sole-One, His Naam as Real, Creator-Lord, ...... Timeless Person, One that is not born, Self-existent. [1. p. 1]. The Gurus have stated at a number of places that there was a stage when the Transcendent God was by Himself; and it is later that He started His Creative Activity. In Sidh Gosht, in answer to a question as to where was the Transcendent God before the stage of creation, Guru Nanak replied, "To think of the Transcendent Lord in that state is to enter the realm of wonder. Even at that stage of sunn (void), He permeated all that void." [1. p. 940].

Note BY Author: One can see wide references made at ang 940. The ang contains very useful references..Some of these are as follows:
ਨਾਮੇ ਰਾਤੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਇ
नामे राते हउमै जाइ ॥
Nāmė rāṯė ha*umai jā*ė.
Attuned to the Naam, the Name of the Lord, egotism is dispelled.

ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਸਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਸਮਾਇ
नामि रते सचि रहे समाइ ॥
Nām raṯė sacẖ rahė samā*ė.
Attuned to the Naam, they remain absorbed in the True Lord.

ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ
नामि रते जोग जुगति बीचारु ॥
Nām raṯė jog jugaṯ bīcẖār.
Attuned to the Naam, they contemplate the Way of Yoga.

ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰੁ
नामि रते पावहि मोख दुआरु ॥
Nām raṯė pāvahi mokẖ ḏu*ār.
Attuned to the Naam, they find the door of liberation.

ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਸੋਝੀ ਹੋਇ
नामि रते त्रिभवण सोझी होइ ॥
Nām raṯė ṯaribẖavaṇ sojẖī ho*ė.
Attuned to the Naam, they understand the three worlds.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੩੨॥
नानक नामि रते सदा सुखु होइ ॥३२॥
Nānak nām raṯė saḏā sukẖ ho*ė. ||32||
O Nanak, attuned to the Naam, eternal peace is found. ||32||

ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਸਿਧ ਗੋਸਟਿ ਹੋਇ
नामि रते सिध गोसटि होइ ॥
Nām raṯė siḏẖ gosat ho*ė.
Attuned to the Naam, they attain Sidh Gosht - conversation with the Siddhas.

ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਸਦਾ ਤਪੁ ਹੋਇ
नामि रते सदा तपु होइ ॥
Nām raṯė saḏā ṯap ho*ė.
Attuned to the Naam, they practice intense meditation forever.

ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਸਚੁ ਕਰਣੀ ਸਾਰੁ
नामि रते सचु करणी सारु ॥
Nām raṯė sacẖ karṇī sār.
Attuned to the Naam, they live the true and excellent lifestyle.

ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਿਆਨ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ
नामि रते गुण गिआन बीचारु ॥
Nām raṯė guṇ gi*ān bīcẖār.
Attuned to the Naam, they contemplate the Lord's virtues and spiritual wisdom.

ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਬੋਲੈ ਸਭੁ ਵੇਕਾਰੁ
बिनु नावै बोलै सभु वेकारु ॥
Bin nāvai bolai sabẖ vėkār.
Without the Name, all that is spoken is useless.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤੇ ਤਿਨ ਕਉ ਜੈਕਾਰੁ ॥੩੩॥
नानक नामि रते तिन कउ जैकारु ॥३३॥
Nānak nām raṯė ṯin ka*o jaikār. ||33||
O Nanak, attuned to the Naam, their victory is celebrated. ||33||

ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ
पूरे गुर ते नामु पाइआ जाइ ॥
Pūrė gur ṯė nām pā*i*ā jā*ė.
Through the Perfect Guru, one obtains the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

The above has specially been taken from srigranth.org and one can refer to the ang 940 directly and find out the meanings of the words,in case of doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
With due respect to Sikh 80, I wonder after hundreds of articles/books written on simran or Naam Jap, why still people have failed to understand it and practice it? People write lengthy articles without mentioning a few words Satguru used in various Shabad to make it clear what is the true meaning of simran and jap and how it is to put in practice. What we do, when we face a question, we start defending ourselves about what we wrote or thought. NaamJap jee has a point. In a short way let me qoute Satguru here in this context of simran and jap. Sri Raag Mehla 1... Naam slahi rang sio, Gur kai Shabad santokh 11 .... gurmatt tu slahna, hor keemt kehn n jaye 11 ... Gurmatt SACHA mann vassai Naam bhoolo patt saakh 11 ... in another context .. Jin ke chole rattre KANT tina ke paas.." All these words used by Satguru ji indicate for true love for WAHEGURU, in simple words to fall in love with WAHEGURU. Why have we fallen victims to the kinds of ritualisms Satguru advocated to abandon absolutely. Most of the words that convey major message of Gurmatt, Satguru Sahiban explained them in various shabad literally giving them a meaning. People study Gurbani and stat translating in English especially by word by word or sentence by sentence which trigger imbiguity and misinterpretations. Translation by Dr. Darshan Singh ji is another example of it. Yesterday.s Sardara 123 ji's Shabad translation of a shabad in Dhanasri Mehla 1 is very good example how meanings of Gurbani are taken odd to Gurmatt( Sardara 123 ji might have got it from some where , no offense, forgive me, the meanings are crippled) Same case is here, Naam Simran, many people are not able to utilize simran and jap beyond a ritual. Why? Because we, when interpret do not take Gurbani in its totality. I recommend Dr Sahib Singh's interpretation, it does match very well with Gurumatt if not perfect. Do you want to enjoy jap? Do you want to enjoy simran? Fall in love with ALMIGHTY without any duality at all because between situation will mitigate the effect. In HIS Rabg ratte are in jaap/simran state of mind always.
Again sorry if I contradict!

HAR bisrat sda khuari

Source:
http://www.sikhlionz.com/naam.htm[/quote]

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
pk70 said:
Yesterday.s Sardara 123 ji's Shabad translation of a shabad in Dhanasri Mehla 1 is very good example how meanings of Gurbani are taken odd to Gurmatt( Sardara 123 ji might have got it from some where , no offense, forgive me, the meanings are crippled)

pk70 Ji,

Can you provide 'TO THE POINT TRANSLATIONS IN ENGLISH' Please.

I only know a few sources, and that was the closest I could find.

Waheguru knows, my intention is to share 'GURU SHABD', not the translations or by any means -my intellect.

Very sorry for causing any trouble, it happens many times, but there are many members who can't read Gurmukhi at all, so one has to depend on English Translations, what ever available. I always check for the things like- statements not in line with Gurbani etc. But I know that a translation is not Guru's Words, on top of that it is a totaly different language, so the syntax cant match. But if you can find one more closer, that will be the best thing for those who only read the translations.

I will really appreciate, if you can provide correct or at least the closest Enlgish Tarjma.

Thanks.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
With due respect to Sikh 80, I wonder after hundreds of articles/books written on simran or Naam Jap, why still people have failed to understand it and practice it? People write lengthy articles without mentioning a few words Satguru used in various Shabad to make it clear what is the true meaning of simran and jap and how it is to put in practice. What we do, when we face a question, we start defending ourselves about what we wrote or thought. http://www.sikhlionz.com/naam.htm
[/quote]

Yes, Sir, you may be cent-percent correct in your observations. It is our good luck that you have pointed out something that is lacking. I am just posting that is already authored and widely accepted. A small write up on that you have suggested would be welcome.We all do as per our intellect.

But we all appreciate the contribution of seniors who can guide us. It would be our previlege to pause for a moment and wait for a instructive post from you.

With Regards to all.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
pk70 Ji,

Can you provide 'TO THE POINT TRANSLATIONS IN ENGLISH' Please.

I only know a few sources, and that was the closest I could find.

Waheguru knows, my intention is to share 'GURU SHABD', not the translations or by any means -my intellect.

Very sorry for causing any trouble, it happens many times, but there are many members who can't read Gurmukhi at all, so one has to depend on English Translations, what ever available. I always check for the things like- statements not in line with Gurbani etc. But I know that a translation is not Guru's Words, on top of that it is a totaly different language, so the syntax cant match. But if you can find one more closer, that will be the best thing for those who only read the translations.

I will really appreciate, if you can provide correct or at least the closest Enlgish Tarjma.

Thanks.

Sat Sree AKAAL Sardara 123 Ji

First of all let me thank you from the bottom of my heart for your all efforts you do to share Guru message with other fellows; doubtless it is praiseworthy because you are sharing NAAM Gyaan just for the sake of love for NAAM unlike others who write and sell NAAM to make money, there is a long list of such people. Here is what Satguru says who sell Naam instead of enlightening people" dhrig tinah ka jeev jo likh likh veche NAON 11 Kheti jina kee ujjre, khalvare kia thaon ( SGGS 1245)

I strongly believe that no one can translate Gurbani as per the message Sathuru conveyed through it, so I suggest people to keep total message of Gurmatt in mind while translating . Beautifully it was kept through Guru Granth Sahib by Guru Sahibaan.
If we want to share with people who can hardly understand Panjabi/Gurmukhi, read the complete Shabad, find out the message and avoid translating word by word or sentence by sentence. Here is a few examples from Dr Darshan Singh's translation of SGGS whom I have a lot of respect but bluders are regretfull. On first page, waak of Satguru" soche soch n hovaee je soche lakh vaar11" Here is his translation" worrying brings no result even if one worries lacs of times"
"soch" word has nothing to do with the worry in this context.
next In Sree Rag Mehla 1 Ghar 4 ..... ek suaan duye suaani naal 11 bhalke bhonke sda beeaal 11 koorh shura mutha murdaa11
Here is the translation " There is one dog two bitches with it. Tomorrow ever they bark in the direction of wind. False food is a dagger that robs the ill getting" What is Dr Darshan Singh is trying here to translate these Guru waak, translating words? But words Satguru used are sybolic stating mental convictions of the minds which are subject of Satguru's message. A foreigner will learn what from this translation? This translation is infested with such blunders. That is the other reason I humbly request people that if you just want to make money look for another field, leave Gurbani to devotees, they can handle it but do not cripple the message of Gurmatt. I applaud you for your sincere efforts and recommend you to study SGGS ibterpretted by Dr Sahib Singh completely, I call it very well match with the message Satguru if not perfect. Also I praise you for a big heart to learn more instead of defending yourself. We all learn from each others, as you do, I do, we are defined by Gurmatt as learners( SIKHS).
As you asked here is a close translation of that Shabad by me. I suggest you to read translation by Principal Teja Singh, Talib sahib in english, they are better than the rest.

PK 70
HAR BISRAT SDA KHUAARI

Dhansri Mehalla 1 Ghar 1 Chuopde

There is only one God, His existence is a reality. He is the only Creator without fear or animosity. He is beyond death or birth. By himself He is luminous. Can be realized through blessings of Guru
I am scarred being in this world filled with miseries from in who I should take refuge. When The Immortal giver of all is forgotten, misery follows.(1) My Master, I know, is always there to help me and while helping he acts as if I had prayed for his help first time,( in other words He never gets tired of this good deed.)(1 Pause) Everyday the Master should be in mind because He is the only one who can liberate all. O my friend, by listening to the praise of my Master leads to the successful liberation.(2)O Kind One, with your love I will pass through the world of miseries I always sacrifice to you(1 Pause).
Belonging to all only He is the one, none other, but only those get tuned to Him who He blesses (3). My dear, how can I live without you? No, I can’t. Please bless me with that kind of honour that can keep me in love with you. I am certain there’s no one other equal to you that I should go and pray.(1 Pause) I shall serve my Master only and shall not ask any thing from any other one. Satguru says (Nanak says) I am His low servant and sacrifice myself to him all the time. My Master!I sacrifice to you all the time.
PS Forgive me if something is overlooked

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70

Now I have read two comments you have written. Both stopped me dead because you have gone to the heart of this matter of translations. The translator has to look at the whole of the Guru to capture the meaning of His shabad at its heart.

Not just matching one word to another, but capturing the big message. It cannot be easy because languages don't co-operate in advance. Guruji has been speaking for centuries and only in a blink of time has there been a desire by English speakers to hear Guruji's message, a message which is much more than the sum total of His vocabulary. Please tell us how we can find translations by Principal Teja Singh.

I agree with what you said in another post about Sant Khalsa Singh. Flaws are not flaws when one is traveling to the center of the heart.

And so you did notice Sardara123's big heart :star:-- all of his people have big hearts. So must you have a big heart too as you could see this in someone else.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Calmness of mind or Sahej comes by continuous recitation on the Divine Name.
"Dum Dum Sada Samalda Dum Na Birtha Jae" (556)

It is not proper to control one's desires by force. As a snake when shut up in a casket spites suddenly on the opening of the lid, similar are the desires of man. One should recite the Name continuously to achieve calmness of mind.​

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Sat Sree AKAAL Sardara 123 Ji

First of all let me thank you from the bottom of my heart for your all efforts you do to share Guru message with other fellows; doubtless it is praiseworthy because you are sharing NAAM Gyaan just for the sake of love for NAAM unlike others who write and sell NAAM to make money, there is a long list of such people. Here is what Satguru says who sell Naam instead of enlightening people" dhrig tinah ka jeev jo likh likh veche NAON 11 Kheti jina kee ujjre, khalvare kia thaon ( SGGS 1245)

I strongly believe that no one can translate Gurbani as per the message Sathuru conveyed through it, so I suggest people to keep total message of Gurmatt in mind while translating . Beautifully it was kept through Guru Granth Sahib by Guru Sahibaan.
If we want to share with people who can hardly understand Panjabi/Gurmukhi, read the complete Shabad, find out the message and avoid translating word by word or sentence by sentence. Here is a few examples from Dr Darshan Singh's translation of SGGS whom I have a lot of respect but bluders are regretfull. On first page, waak of Satguru" soche soch n hovaee je soche lakh vaar11" Here is his translation" worrying brings no result even if one worries lacs of times"
"soch" word has nothing to do with the worry in this context.
next In Sree Rag Mehla 1 Ghar 4 ..... ek suaan duye suaani naal 11 bhalke bhonke sda beeaal 11 koorh shura mutha murdaa11
Here is the translation " There is one dog two bitches with it. Tomorrow ever they bark in the direction of wind. False food is a dagger that robs the ill getting" What is Dr Darshan Singh is trying here to translate these Guru waak, translating words? But words Satguru used are sybolic stating mental convictions of the minds which are subject of Satguru's message. A foreigner will learn what from this translation? This translation is infested with such blunders. That is the other reason I humbly request people that if you just want to make money look for another field, leave Gurbani to devotees, they can handle it but do not cripple the message of Gurmatt. I applaud you for your sincere efforts and recommend you to study SGGS ibterpretted by Dr Sahib Singh completely, I call it very well match with the message Satguru if not perfect. Also I praise you for a big heart to learn more instead of defending yourself. We all learn from each others, as you do, I do, we are defined by Gurmatt as learners( SIKHS).
As you asked here is a close translation of that Shabad by me. I suggest you to read translation by Principal Teja Singh, Talib sahib in english, they are better than the rest.

PK 70
HAR BISRAT SDA KHUAARI

PK 70 Ji,

Thanks for replying. Thanks to Waheguru Ji for all, It is all Guru Ji's Bessing, I am doing nothing.
I have read Prof Sahib Singh Ji as well as Bhai Veer Singh Ji, and still go back to them sometimes, even post Bhai Sahib Singh Ji's Translations sometimes. I am surely searching for a more detailed English Translation, which can provide a good explanation of the 'Word'.

As you advised, please guide, Where can I find Principal Teja Singh Ji's or Talib Ji's English Translations? I will look into it.

I totally understand what you saying, it happens many many times. If it is in my hands, I will make every body sit and learn Gurmukhi, whoever want to read Gurbani :). Let us be positive, We need to keep on working on this and do the best possible with Guru Ji's Grace.

Thanks again PK 70 Ji.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
PK 70 Ji,

Thanks for replying. Thanks to Waheguru Ji for all, It is all Guru Ji's Bessing, I am doing nothing.
I have read Prof Sahib Singh Ji as well as Bhai Veer Singh Ji, and still go back to them sometimes, even post Bhai Sahib Singh Ji's Translations sometimes. I am surely searching for a more detailed English Translation, which can provide a good explanation of the 'Word'.

As you advised, please guide, Where can I find Principal Teja Singh Ji's or Talib Ji's English Translations? I will look into it.

I totally understand what you saying, it happens many many times. If it is in my hands, I will make every body sit and learn Gurmukhi, whoever want to read Gurbani :). Let us be positive, We need to keep on working on this and do the best possible with Guru Ji's Grace.

Thanks again PK 70 Ji.

Sat Sree AKAAL Sardara 123 jio

I am glad I could be of any service, my mission is just to aware my Gursikh fellows who are devoted to Sikh-cause( like S Aman Singh millions thanks for opening up this site where all we can share and learn from each other) that a lot of distortion of Gurbani and Sikhism is being donewhile so called schoolars write or do a search on Gurbani. Persons like you, Sikh 80. naamjap, ambardhara and especially aad002 who emmensely showed interest in my postings,deserve to be appluaded for devotion towards it. Go to Library, (Gurdawara 34 my have)
Look for Japji Sahib by Pr. Teja Singh and Translation of Guru Granth Sahib ji by Gurbachan Singh ji Talib. Not perfect but they tried to keep Guru message in translation . Avoid non Sikh writers or those who just write to make money. People who use pompous language are just there to put their own show. People whose work must be avoided to give importance are many but I can mention a few, like Osho(fabricates story to avoid the point), Khushwant Singh( does his work on hearsay) or a group settled outside India( under enfluence of missioneries). Go to Sikhspectrum.com, read Dr Baldev Singh who truely advocates Gurmat and takes any one who try to distort. Sorry to say, I may disagree with Him on some points too with due respect but I cannot help applauding his approach towards Gurbani (the best one), Doctor Sahib has no ax to grind either.
Thanks again

Pk70
HAR bisrat sda khuari

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Sat Sree Akaal aad002
Thanks for paying paying attension towards some of my critism of distortion done by some and agreeing to it, we Sikhs need people like you to continue speaking against these things. My mission is that all good persons like you should stand against it and contribute(as you are doing) positively.Here on this site, Yes ,all have good hearts including you. Principal Teja Singh translated not very much but like Japji translation is available, go to library, like University, if you are in Mohali, may be Library of Gurdwara 34 have. Gurbachan Singh Talib did translate Guru Granth Sahib ji He will be available too in the library. If you comprehend Gurbani properly, you can find distortion and go with your own attempt of coorecting it. It will be my pleasure to discuss any thing with you and other Sikh fellows.
Forgive me II missed any answer.
Waheguru bless you with more knowledge in this context.

Pk70
Har bisrat sda khuaari

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
In view of the above, we should define Naam as the Dynamic Immanence of God or the Reality sustaining and working the manifest world of force and form. It is on the basis of these fundamentals that we should like to trace and understand some important concepts and conclusions, ideas and institutions, trends and traditions in Sikhism and its socio-religious way of life.

3. Naam and Cosmology

The Guru writes, "the self-existent God manifested Himself into Naam. Second came the Creation of the universe. He permeates it and revels in His creation." "God created the world of life, He planted Naam in it and made it the place for righteous activity." [1. p. 463].

Contd..

Sat Sree AKAAL Sikh 80 ji

THanks for your respectful inquiry, here is a kind reply. I have tried to just say what Guru Sahiban want from us in context of NaamJapna

Sat Sree AKAAL Sikh 80
Please accept my thanks for showing positive response to my critical look at your posting; it is a testimony of your being open which is very much important for spiritual growth.

I do not believe in accepted authors since message of Satguru is more important to me than any ones own ideology, where it is distorted, like Dr Baldev Singh of USA, I shall point out to regardless the status built in any circle of any author. I recommend you to stay strict to what Satguru tries to say. While translating Gurbani in English, Persons like Pr. Teja Singh and Gurbachan Singh Talib did their best to stay close to the Guru message though their translation is not perfect because it is completely impossible to do it by keeping Guru’s message intact. So study Gurbani with satisfied interpretation, and translate the echoed idea in shabad in its totality
Coming to Naam Japna, numerous scholars tried to interpret the word” Naam Japna” most close meaning is given by Dr Sahib Singh ji, it is” to bear in mind” that doesn’t need any help from tongue. Remember reading, you read with eyes and quit saying what you read. The purpose is solved both ways. This very purpose was explained by Satguru Sahiban in various Shabads, a few quotes are given below.
“ Naam slahi rang sion , Gur ke shabad santokh” Maajh M-5( Naam slahi rang sion , note it down) Means, Being contented with Guru advice get involve with Waheguru while praising HIM.
“ tin ka khadha paidha Maya sabh pavitt jo Naam HAR rate ( Naam Har rate, note it down) Only their worldly living and having materialistic things are pure who are in love with The Almighty
“ uth deyaan behndyean suttyan sda sda HAR NAam dhyeeai Page594( note down dhyeaeeai) Means BE IN LOVE WITH HIM ALL THE TIME
Har Har Naam jpo Ras meetha, Gurmukh Har Ras unttr deetha( note down unttr deetha)
Ahnis raho Rag rate, eh jap tap sanjam sara he ( Maru Mehla 1 ( note ehnis raho rang rate, note it down)
Means Have Him in your heart, who got tuned to Guru,found this sweet experience within( ras word is used to give importance to joy of having HIS experience to all worldly ras). Be advised being involved with Waheguru all the time because it is an essence of knowledge people long to get it through other rituals like jap tap sanjam
All these words or phrases indicating what was a main instruction in the beginning of Japji, if jap is taken to saying only then why here it is rejected, note it down please
“gavan haari gavai geet 11 te udhre basse je cheet 11 kehn kahavan sagl janjaal 11 Nanak daas SACH KARNI saar 11 Kanra Mehla 5(1030) Means people sing praises of HIM but merely singing can bring no fruits unless one falls in love with HIM or let HIM occupy the heart. Such singing/ saying are all just ritual bindings. Satguru says that truthful living while being in love with HIM is vital.
So Jap is defined again here” Ghar rahu mann mugadh eeaane 11 Ram japo unttrgat dhyaane 11 Maru Mehla 1 Means, come back from outside frustration you naïve , praise HIM by being in love with HIM The very word “ japo” is interpreted here. Ritual has no place in Gurmatt, any action sounds or appears like a ritual should be considered disrespect to our adorable Satguru. About five hundred years ago Satguru set Indians free from traditional bindings loaded with superstitious rituals, first time a logic was introduced to a religion, even Budhism and other religions were marred with illogical traditions. It is lucky to be a Sikh of Satguru Nanak Gobind Singh in this regard.
Please forgive me for questioning established writers, ignore any mistake if occurred while writing/typing it.
Pk70
HAR bisrat sda khuaari M-5

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Dear Pk70 Ji,

SPN moderators are happy to see that Gurmat Vichaar section has attracted healthy discussions esp from individuals like you, Sardara, Ambar, Pyramid and many others.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
PK70 ji,

People tried to distort Gurbani right from the begining. They were against Gurbani from many centuries. They tortured Guru Ji for adding Bhagat bani. My grandparents used to tell me a story about how people used to invade Sikh's houses and used to cut off their heads and take it with them to show the hakumat of their time to get a big monetary gain out of it. They have done all sorts of things, sometimes by directly opposing it, simetimes by using other decieving means like mistranslating Gurbani and providing mismatch statements on Gurmat. Sikhs are still alive and are all over the world, within only 500+ year time period. Nobody can ever kill the Truth, It remains.

I am not concerned who does what, they can do whatever, they couldn't stop Guru Ji, they cant stop Sikhs. They kill one, many others sprout up:).

My humble mission is just to share Guru Shabad, remind my brothers and sisters about Guru Ji's words again and again. For those who dont know Gurmukhi, When those people read English translation, they get attracted, and they want to know more. A true seeker does end up learning Gurmukhi and Gurbani in its original text, and we must not forget- GURU JI IS ALWAYS THERE, HE CREATES THE MEANS FOR HIS SEVAKS. So I am not worried at all.

It is not me you or other, Waheguru is doing it all, there is nobody else, Right.

As Guru Ji tells us:

Tudh Bin Avar Na Koi Kartey Mai Dhar Out Tumahri Jeeoo.

So let us keep walking the path Guru Ji has shown us, take guidance from Guru Ji at every step, and be CONTENT- Living in Hukam.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Manmukh's fascination for poison makes him/her do business in Poison. All are under His Hukam. He has assigned them this kind of task- poor manmukh.

Nanak Bani Nirankaar Paarbrahm Parmesar
Waho Waho Bani Nirankaar Hai Tis Jevad Avar Na Koi
SGGS JI
ANG 85
SATGURU PRASAAD

ਪਉੜੀ ॥
pourree ||
Pauree:

ਸਿਸਟਿ ਉਪਾਈ ਸਭ ਤੁਧੁ ਆਪੇ ਰਿਜਕੁ ਸੰਬਾਹਿਆ ॥
sisatt oupaaee sabh thudhh aapae rijak sanbaahiaa ||
You created the entire universe, and You Yourself bring sustenance to it.

ਇਕਿ ਵਲੁ ਛਲੁ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਖਾਵਦੇ ਮੁਹਹੁ ਕੂੜੁ ਕੁਸਤੁ ਤਿਨੀ ਢਾਹਿਆ ॥
eik val shhal kar kai khaavadhae muhahu koorr kusath thinee dtaahiaa ||
Some eat and survive by practicing fraud and deceit; from their mouths they drop falsehood and lies.

ਤੁਧੁ ਆਪੇ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਕਰਹਿ ਤੁਧੁ ਓਤੈ ਕੰਮਿ ਓਇ ਲਾਇਆ ॥
thudhh aapae bhaavai so karehi thudhh outhai kanm oue laaeiaa ||
As it pleases You, You assign them their tasks.

ਇਕਨਾ ਸਚੁ ਬੁਝਾਇਓਨੁ ਤਿਨਾ ਅਤੁਟ ਭੰਡਾਰ ਦੇਵਾਇਆ ॥
eikanaa sach bujhaaeioun thinaa athutt bhanddaar dhaevaaeiaa ||
Some understand Truthfulness; they are given the inexhaustible treasure.

ਹਰਿ ਚੇਤਿ ਖਾਹਿ ਤਿਨਾ ਸਫਲੁ ਹੈ ਅਚੇਤਾ ਹਥ ਤਡਾਇਆ ॥੮॥
har chaeth khaahi thinaa safal hai achaethaa hathh thaddaaeiaa ||8||
Those who eat by remembering the Lord are prosperous, while those who do not remember Him stretch out their hands in need. ||8||
source: http://www.searchgurbani.com/main.php?word=lie&book=sri_guru_granth_sahib&action=pagebypage&page=85

Nanak Bani Nirankaar Paarbrahm Parmesar
Waho Waho Bani Nirankaar Hai Tis Jevad Avar Na Koi
SGGS JI
ANG 123
SATGURU PRASAAD

ਆਪੇ ਕਰਤਾ ਕਾਰਣੁ ਕਰਾਏ ॥
aapae karathaa kaaran karaaeae ||
The Creator Lord Himself is the Doer of deeds.

ਜਿਤੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਿਤੁ ਕਾਰੈ ਲਾਏ ॥
jith bhaavai thith kaarai laaeae ||
As He pleases, He applies us to our tasks.

ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਤੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੨॥
poorai bhaag gur saevaa hovai gur saevaa thae sukh paavaniaa ||2||
Through perfect destiny, we serve the Guru; serving the Guru, peace is found. ||2||

source: http://www.searchgurbani.com/main.php?word=lie&book=sri_guru_granth_sahib&action=pagebypage&page=123

Gurbani eis jag meh chaanan
Gurbani alakh lakhiayaa
Gurbani Gavo Bhaee
charan kamal parabh kay nit Dhi-aava-o

Let us pray for Sarbat Da Bhala

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
~SSA~ Pk70 ji,

Thanks for your observations and comments and the pains that you might have taken in quoting from the Granth sahib ji.

You have highlighted extracts of some previous post.It looks that you have not liked something in particular in that post.

Kindly let us have the benefit as to that you have not liked.

Yes, the entire thread is based on the previous established writings. My contribution is almost nil in all the threads.

One tend to deviate from the previous literature if it is found defective in some way and that is prejudicial to the interest to the sikhism or the set of belief contained in are not acceptable.In the present case the article is authored by Mr. Daljeet singh, the writings of whom are well respected and relied upon. In this thread there is no interpretation of any line. Yes, there are some valuable contribution of some members.

Coming To 'Naam', it is my belief that no one can state anything about Naam for the reasons that it is not well explained and even if it is explained it would be as per individual's understanding only.It is not a term of science that it has a precise meaning. If God is limitless so should be the Naam that is almost HE Himself. One can form a broad idea as to what it is. You may also like to opine on this.

A healthy discussion is always welcome

I shall request you to kindly let me know as that has bothered you. It shall help me in preparing the small write ups that I do prepare while reading and learning.

Warm Regards

Last edited:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਗਉੜੀ ਗੁਆਰੇਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ
गउड़ी गुआरेरी महला ४ ॥
Ga­oṛī gu­ārėrī mehlā 4.
Gauree Bairaagan, Fourth Mehl:

ਕਿਰਸਾਣੀ ਕਿਰਸਾਣੁ ਕਰੇ ਲੋਚੈ ਜੀਉ ਲਾਇ
किरसाणी किरसाणु करे लोचै जीउ लाइ ॥
Kirsāṇī kirsāṇ karė locẖai jī­o lā­ė.
The farmers love to work their farms;

ਹਲੁ ਜੋਤੈ ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਮੇਰਾ ਪੁਤੁ ਧੀ ਖਾਇ
हलु जोतै उदमु करे मेरा पुतु धी खाइ ॥
Hal joṯai uḏam karė mėrā puṯ ḏẖī kẖā­ė.
they plow and work the fields, so that their sons and daughters may eat.

ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਜਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਕਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਛਡਾਇ ॥੧॥
तिउ हरि जनु हरि हरि जपु करे हरि अंति छडाइ ॥१॥
Ŧi­o har jan har har jap karė har anṯ cẖẖadā­ė. ||1||
In just the same way, the Lord's humble servants chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, and in the end, the Lord shall save them. ||1||

ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਕੀਜੈ ਮੇਰੇ ਰਾਮ
मै मूरख की गति कीजै मेरे राम ॥
Mai mūrakẖ kī gaṯ kījai mėrė rām.
I am foolish - save me, O my Lord!

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵਾ ਹਰਿ ਲਾਇ ਹਮ ਕਾਮ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
गुर सतिगुर सेवा हरि लाइ हम काम ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Gur saṯgur sėvā har lā­ė ham kām. ||1|| rahā­o.
O Lord, enjoin me to work and serve the Guru, the True Guru. ||1||Pause||

ਲੈ ਤੁਰੇ ਸਉਦਾਗਰੀ ਸਉਦਾਗਰੁ ਧਾਵੈ
लै तुरे सउदागरी सउदागरु धावै ॥
Lai ṯurė sa­uḏāgrī sa­uḏāgar ḏẖāvai.
The traders buy horses, planning to trade them.

ਧਨੁ ਖਟੈ ਆਸਾ ਕਰੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਵਧਾਵੈ
धनु खटै आसा करै माइआ मोहु वधावै ॥
Ḏẖan kẖatai āsā karai mā­i­ā moh vaḏẖāvai.
They hope to earn wealth; their attachment to Maya increases.

ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਜਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਬੋਲਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਬੋਲਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
तिउ हरि जनु हरि हरि बोलता हरि बोलि सुखु पावै ॥२॥
Ŧi­o har jan har har bolṯā har bol sukẖ pāvai. ||2||
In just the same way, the Lord's humble servants chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har; chanting the Lord's Name, they find peace. ||2||

ਬਿਖੁ ਸੰਚੈ ਹਟਵਾਣੀਆ ਬਹਿ ਹਾਟਿ ਕਮਾਇ
बिखु संचै हटवाणीआ बहि हाटि कमाइ ॥
Bikẖ sancẖai hatvāṇī­ā bahi hāt kamā­ė.
The shop-keepers collect poison, sitting in their shops, carrying on their business.

ਮੋਹ ਝੂਠੁ ਪਸਾਰਾ ਝੂਠ ਕਾ ਝੂਠੇ ਲਪਟਾਇ
मोह झूठु पसारा झूठ का झूठे लपटाइ ॥
Moh jẖūṯẖ pasārā jẖūṯẖ kā jẖūṯẖė laptā­ė.
Their love is false, their displays are false, and they are engrossed in falsehood.

ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਜਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਸੰਚਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਖਰਚੁ ਲੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੩॥
तिउ हरि जनि हरि धनु संचिआ हरि खरचु लै जाइ ॥३॥
Ŧi­o har jan har ḏẖan sancẖi­ā har kẖaracẖ lai jā­ė. ||3||
In just the same way, the Lord's humble servants gather the wealth of the Lord's Name; they take the Lord's Name as their supplies. ||3||

ਇਹੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹ ਕੁਟੰਬੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਇ ਦੂਜੈ ਫਾਸ
इहु माइआ मोह कुट्मबु है भाइ दूजै फास ॥
Ih mā­i­ā moh kutamb hai bẖā­ė ḏūjai fās.
This emotional attachment to Maya and family, and the love of duality, is a noose around the neck.

ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਸੋ ਜਨੁ ਤਰੈ ਜੋ ਦਾਸਨਿ ਦਾਸ
गुरमती सो जनु तरै जो दासनि दास ॥
Gurmaṯī so jan ṯarai jo ḏāsan ḏās.
Following the Guru's Teachings, the humble servants are carried across; they become the slaves of the Lord's slaves.

ਜਨਿ ਨਾਨਕਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਗਾਸ ॥੪॥੩॥੯॥੪੭॥
जनि नानकि नामु धिआइआ गुरमुखि परगास ॥४॥३॥९॥४७॥
Jan Nānak nām ḏẖi­ā­i­ā gurmukẖ pargās. ||4||3||9||47||
Servant Nanak meditates on the Naam; the Gurmukh is enlightened. ||4||3||9||47||

Last edited by a moderator:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
~SSA~ Pk70 ji,

Thanks for your observations and comments and the pains that you might have taken in quoting from the Granth sahib ji.

You have highlighted extracts of some previous post.It looks that you have not liked something in particular in that post.

Kindly let us have the benefit as to that you have not liked.

Yes, the entire thread is based on the previous established writings. My contribution is almost nil in all the threads.

One tend to deviate from the previous literature if it is found defective in some way and that is prejudicial to the interest to the sikhism or the set of belief contained in are not acceptable.In the present case the article is authored by Mr. Daljeet singh, the writings of whom are well respected and relied upon. In this thread there is no interpretation of any line. Yes, there are some valuable contribution of some members.

Coming To 'Naam', it is my belief that no one can state anything about Naam for the reasons that it is not well explained and even if it is explained it would be as per individual's understanding only.It is not a term of science that it has a precise meaning. If God is limitless so should be the Naam that is almost HE Himself. One can form a broad idea as to what it is. You may also like to opine on this.

A healthy discussion is always welcome

I shall request you to kindly let me know as that has bothered you. It shall help me in preparing the small write ups that I do prepare while reading and learning.

Warm Regards

Sat Sree AKAAL ! Sikh 80 ji

Not at all,I didnt question any thing this time but just was replying about what you asked for.I know the problem? I just replied to one of your thread. I am not good at computer thing;I usually read and write. If you can find the Sikh Review of January 2008, I wrote an article though disappointed as they edited its core message. its heading is" Creator premeates all creation. While writing it is easy but typing on a thread is a little hard for me since I started recently. What I did, I just found a posting by you and clicked " Quate" I didnt high light any thing, so there is nothing to be pointed out. It is sheer misunderstanding because of my being naive in thread discussion. Still feel difficulty to copy and paste. I shall learn it. I feel good to share ideas related with Sikh cause and learn from others.
Thanks. Keep going on your path.
pk70
HAR bisrat sda khuaari

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: