• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Muslim-Sikh Unmarried Relationship In The UK

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Dear KdS ji,

Lol!

I do remember a sikh girl [Navjot ,disowned by parents and family and a blemish on sikhism] married to a Muslim and do you know who is her Husband....The Terrorist, Known as Guru, who attacked the Indian Parliament and is waiting for his time or may be he had his last laugh, I am not sure.

I fully subscribe the views expressed by you.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
i have dozens of friends who are married to people of different religion. All have been accepted by other familiies, and yes, a couple of them are Sikh boys( one is turbaned if you may like to know the details), one with a christian wife and another with a muslim wife. He has a hearty time at his in laws place. and yes, she is still a practising muslim !!!

Amar ji,

I really find this difficult to belive. I had a turbanned Sikh friend married to a Muslim woman (now divorced). What seemed on the outside to be a great marriage was covering up the biggotry and contempt both families had for each other. Might I add the Muslims in this instance were particularly biggoted. I have many many Muslim friends and to a man none of them would approve of a Muslim girls marrying a non-Muslim (even the most liberal of them). Wheras my Sikh friends are the opposite and have no calms (maybe a run off of the Universal beliefs of Sikhi?).

I think what seems to be fine and dandy on the outside is often something totally diffrent once one scratches below the surface.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
hey dis is to he guy whos writing about the muslim girl and boy well starting of it sounds so interesting umm but on the family side off things it neva guna wrk unless one or both families are understnding which usually isnt the case. my story is the opposite i was a sikh im female andmy husband is muslim im a convert of 7 years and not regretted a second im not here to spread h8 im jus helpin the guy out in my case i havent had any contact with my family over a 7 year period n my husbands family r happy im takin it because i am a muslim it doesnt always work out you can neva well i think neway have 2 religons live under the same roof n im not sayin giv 1 up, leave that person then, u no wat i mean i changed my faith becoz i wanted 2 no mater if i shout it 4rm the roof tops no one will eva believe me its jus da way ppl r. muslim familiyes will neva accept a sikh man unless he converts n not only by converting he needs 2 change everthin about him the way he dresses givin up alchol if he drinksits relli hard. however a sikh family may accept im not sure the muslim girl maybe becoz hes the son n all which is unfair if you reversed the situation what would it be?

Please write proper English and do not write like a gangster.

The choice to change your religion is yours but please do not put down Sikhism because you simply did not even understand its basic teachings which have nothing to do with Alcohol.

Thanks

humanrace

SPNer
Jan 18, 2011
Actually, I am currently going through a love relationship as a muslim woman with a Sikh man. We are in love and the complexities are too much. It is not faiths I believe (we all believe in one God), it is more the taboo and cultural restrictions which cause issues. Is it not sad that when you find your soul mate....you can not marry him or her?? It is outrageous to me. I am a practicing muslim and he is a practicing sikh...we fell for each others conviction in both of our faiths and for our personalities. Ironic really if you think about it...it was our committment to each of our faiths which attracted each one of us towards each other. Having a spiritual relationship with God is beautiful....we both wonder why religions separate us when in fact the whole point is to unite.

anyways, currently we are trying to figure out a way, and it seems it comes down to choosing between family and one another. Both of us do not want to hurt our familes so we are working on letting each other go.....

Jul 13, 2004
UK
I don´t know if it is of any interest as I have only limited information.
Some time ago I was told that at the Gurdwara I use to go a sikh girl married a muslim boy, they even did it in anand karaj. He was also attending the service sometimes. I don´t know if he converted (if you mean by that taking amrit, he obviously didn´t) and I don´t know anything about how serious he is or what his parents think of it. The girl didn´t convert either to islam.
Anyway, all the best for them.

it happens and i think some muslims are naive to the fact. i know a pakistani girl who was born there, fell in love with a sikh guy in uk and now she has become sikh.
i have come across many muslims in my life of different nationalities that have left the religion.

perhaps this person could write a story about a muslim leaving islam for love and the family coming to terms with it?

canadian

SPNer
Jan 18, 2011
I dont think its right to convert from one religion to another. Even if it's someone converting to my own religion (Sikhism), I wouldn't be ok with it. I think that a person's religion is a part of their identity and upbringing. It doesn't seem appropriate to throw all that away. I mean if people of two different religions love each other, they shouldn't have to convert at all! Instead they should just learn to appreciate their differences. But I am aware of the fact that real life isn't as "sugar coated" as my post. There are some narrow minded people out there who can't appreciate other religions!! So, all I want to say is to learn to accept your own religion and try to find someone within your religion!! This can save ALOT of drama!! Not to put down any muslims, but I was dating a muslim a few years ago and he asked me if I would be willing to convert perhaps in the future. And I told him "NO WAY". I can't give up something that has been a part of my life for over 18 years. Plus, I can't hurt my family in such a way. So just some advice, before you convert (from any religion to another) think about the effect it'll have on your family. How can you possibly hurt the people who brought you into this world?

Jul 13, 2004
UK
I dont think its right to convert from one religion to another. Even if it's someone converting to my own religion (Sikhism), I wouldn't be ok with it. I think that a person's religion is a part of their identity and upbringing. It doesn't seem appropriate to throw all that away. I mean if people of two different religions love each other, they shouldn't have to convert at all! Instead they should just learn to appreciate their differences. But I am aware of the fact that real life isn't as "sugar coated" as my post. There are some narrow minded people out there who can't appreciate other religions!! So, all I want to say is to learn to accept your own religion and try to find someone within your religion!! This can save ALOT of drama!! Not to put down any muslims, but I was dating a muslim a few years ago and he asked me if I would be willing to convert perhaps in the future. And I told him "NO WAY". I can't give up something that has been a part of my life for over 18 years. Plus, I can't hurt my family in such a way. So just some advice, before you convert (from any religion to another) think about the effect it'll have on your family. How can you possibly hurt the people who brought you into this world?

Conversion to any religion for anything other than faith is wrong, I can agree on that.
But conversion in general being wrong, I think you are very wrong here. It is about conviction and principle. Sikhism would not exist today if the Gurus simply stuck with their birth religions, and you would not even be here today telling people NOT to change their religion.
In fact, if everyone followed this rule, Christianity and Judaism, Buddhism and Jainism, and Hinduism as we know it today would not even exist!
Sikhism teaches us to seek God, a God that is beyond religion. The Gurus taught us to question popular social and religious practices and not to waste time on meaningless customs & rituals.
I think your response is far removed from what Sikhi and Guru Granth Sahib Ji teaches.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM