• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Judaism Judaism & Sikhi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
\

The Sikh community should (IMO) look to the history/experiences of the Jewish people over the last 150 years as a learning source/warning/example of where things can/will go in the Sikh community if people act from ignorance/emotion.

Respectfully,
Akiva

akiva ji

From where I stand you are striking a bell with a clear note. An example comes directly from this thread. One of our members posted a picture and a question regarding a "Muslim" with a white head-covering. You replied it is a Jew from the Breslov group, not a Muslim. Any time of day prior to this exchange I would have thought him a Muslim. This is brand new information for me. I have to take stock of my own deficiencies on this point. And the connection... here in the US, Sikhs have died at the hands of extremists who thought "those turbaned men?" they are Muslims, and therefore hot targets. Is the lack of knowledge a strange fertilizer for narrow-mindedness which reaps rotten thoughts, emotions and behavior?

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

This is definitely a Muslim picture not a Jewish one. It seems more like a Pakistani or Indian family. One can see that from their vestments which are Salwar Kameeze which the Jewish women do not wear and the gold bangles which look Indian/Pakistani.

Tejwant Singh

PS: Now, when I clicked on this Url because I copied the post, it gives a video which is totally different. Perhaps that is the one that Akiva ji is trying to explain. It is a bit confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
We are investigating a problem of missing/deleted videos. Please stay tuned. Akiva ji has already reported a similar problem. And yes you are correct, these are entirely different videos. The conversation now on this thread and another thread make no sense because of these deletions.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Akiva ji,

Guru Fateh.

First and foremost, thanks for the interesting post. I just wanted to share with you, I am very well aware of the 3 Abrahamical and other religions, their cultures and practices. I am a Sikh, which you know means a student. Sikhi is based on investigation not on any revelation. This is one of its many beauties.

I am glad we are starting on the right foot with the same intention, which is to broaden our horizons of learning.

Before I attempt to respond to your interesting post, I would like you to explain this a bit further. Are you talking about yourself below? Are you from the Sikh heritage? As your religion is undisclosed which is your right, it baffles me why would one do that? What is there to hide?

As a preamble: If forced (and so that my position is clear) I would describe myself as sehajdari, more or less. But I'd rather not; I also consider being a Sikh a proactive decision, so for clarity I'll use Sikh (capital S) to describe one who is proactively choosing/living a Sikh lifestyle, as opposed to sikh (small s) to describe a cultural/social sikh (usually one born into a sikh family, possibly going through the motions of being a sikh to one degree or another, but doing it for social/cultural reasons instead of doing it proactively)

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
Tejwant ji
GurFateh

I thought it was clear that I was talking about myself.

My background is not a sikh/punjabi heritage.

I first encountered Sikhi in college (I was studying comparative Religion) where it was presented, as is the norm in academic/orientalist circles, as a branch of Hinduism influenced by Islam.

My second exposure was about 6 years ago, when a group of Sikhs from the UK visited Israel (and a Sufi Sheikh I was studying with suggested that Sikhi was probably a better path for me). I've been slowly studying Sikhi since then.

I haven't stated a religion in my profile because, while according to the Rehat I meet the definition of a Sikh, I personally feel it presumptuous to describe myself that way at this time.

(I'm working towards the Guru's definition of a Sikh)

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Akiva

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Akiva ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for the clarification. Allow me to point out one thing that is totally false in the following which is totally wrong representation of Sikhi.

I first encountered Sikhi in college (I was studying comparative Religion) where it was presented, as is the norm in academic/orientalist circles, as a branch of Hinduism influenced by Islam.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

PS: We all work towards the Guru's definition of Sikhi. That is why Sikhi is a journey where one never ceases to learn.

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
Tejwant Ji

GurFateh

Allow me to point out one thing that is totally false in the following which is totally wrong representation of Sikhi.

I'm aware (now) that it's totally wrong. (Most Orientalist presentation is wrong)

I mentioned it only to highlight why I didn't start studying Sikhi 35 years ago -- because it was misrepresented to me.

It was only when I actually met Sikhs that I discovered the uniqueness of Sikhi.

PS: We all work towards the Guru's definition of Sikhi. That is why Sikhi is a journey where one never ceases to learn.

I understand that -- intellectually. It's feeling it emotionally that I need to develop.

Akiva

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Akiva ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for the clarification. Allow me to point out one thing that is totally false in the following which is totally wrong representation of Sikhi.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Here I am the busy-body intercepting your conversation in a very rude way. I need to say that I too stopped for a minute when I read that. But here is the rub... "branch of Hindism influenced by Islam" is a very common description in academic departments because of the influence of McLeod. There are many scholars of Sikhism who do and have disputed that view but a significant contemporary opinion is much as akiva ji has stated. Academics are more likely to be convinced by other academics, even if contrary opinions are well-researched.

For example, Dr. Baldev Singh's methods are unimpeachable, but he held his doctorate in pharmacology, not in eastern religions. Conversely, Dr. Pashura Singh, who was also a student of McLeod, has academic credentials in an academic field that scholars of eastern religion and philosophy recognize. That's the way academia works. Dr. Sahib Singh fits the bill both ways: he was an academic and a student of linguistics and eastern religions. He is dead. It takes fluency in Punjabi and back-breaking effort to locate the earlier 19th and 20th Century scholarship by academics, like Dr. Sahib Singh, who contradict McLeod.

However, My own reaction to that was that akiva ji was beginning with that information and then proceeding with further research.

Nov 23, 2010
I'm aware (now) that it's totally wrong. (Most Orientalist presentation is wrong)
I mentioned it only to highlight why I didn't start studying Sikhi 35 years ago -- because it was misrepresented to me.
It was only when I actually met Sikhs that I discovered the uniqueness of Sikhi.
Reference:: Sikh Philosophy Network http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/judaism/39569-judaism-and-sikhi-8.html

Good to hear, I was going to say "round here thems fightin words":grinningkaur:
It's amazing how much misunderstanding there is.
I'm currently working to get the Official Mexican census to stop listing Sikhi as a branch of Islam.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Akiva Ji,

Guru Fateh.

I actually agree with you here -- I think our "disagreement" was one of terminology. I'm using dialog in the classic greek sense.

There is a very thin line between the two which too is subjective. In Sikhi we call it conversation especially here on SPN.

For me a dialog is a search for the Truth (capital letter intentional).

Please elaborate what you mean by Truth. Is it the subjective kind like the 10 commandments written by God, Hell, Heaven, Minorah lit for 7 days when it only had enough oil for one day or the Objective Truth as the Sun, the Mars and all the rest of awe and wow factors we are surrounded by?

You did mention below :[ I'm not interested in "winning" -- but in factual dialog]. From which I gather that it is not the subjective Truth based on beliefs but simple facts because that is what factual is, sans belief. Please share if you think differently.

Addressed in a prior post - it felt to me more a debate and less a dialog. Again I apologize for misunderstanding your intention.

As mentioned above, there is a very thin line and it is subjective. No harm no foul.

Originally Posted by Tejwant Singh
I would prefer gender equality as Sikhi teaches me.

Agreed. But to understand the Orthodox position one has to accept (temporarily, for the sake of the dialog) their position as valid FOR THEM. Then one can understand why they say and do what they do. Understanding the Other's position is crucial in a dialog (but not in a debate).

I do understand the Orthodox position which you and I know needs to be changed because everything changes with time. Refusing to change for the sake of some old traditions in the changing world is not VALID for anybody; no matter how hard it is, especially when the tug of war is in the same faith, in this case Judaism. Even the debate about them joining the IDF is happening while we speak as mentioned earlier.

Newspaper articles rarely if ever do that. Not is Israel and especially not in the West. (Especially in the West -- where I rarely if ever see an honest, balanced examination of the situation here.)

Newspaper articles are there for us to decipher the information. In this particular case the news is factual. The facts about this particular news are well known. I have no idea what your gripe is in here. Yes, one interprets them according to one’s own self interests from either side. This is a different debate/dialogue all together. But let’s get the facts right first before we delve into that.

respectfully, your original post came across TO ME as antagonistic. Anytime one brings a brief list of items to either support one's positions or to challenge the other's position -- without supplying context or exposition - it's usually an attack. (I accept that wasn't your intention -- but it could be taken that way since it was tangential to the original post's intention)

It is a matter of opinion. I just voiced how I perceive the three Abrahamical religions and also gave the reasons about them. You and others have every right to disagree which is fine with me. To claim my post is 'antagonistic'- your word -throws cold water on the term dialogue that you use so often. It is prejudgmental on your part to say the least. You have every right to express your disagreement with my perception by giving your reasons. Isn't this the way you would like to have a dialogue rather than on the offset calling it antagonistic? I did supply the context which may not be enough for your understanding. Let’s be honest here.

To briefly explore one issue you brought:

For the last 150 years or so there has been a strong cultural conflict between "secular Jews" - Jews who identify as being born Jews, part of Jewish culture, the importance of Jewish Nationalism/Identity, but NOT religiously observant - and the Orthodox Jews - those who define Jewishness in religious terms (being born a Jew or one who converted - but also one who keeps the traditional Jewish practices and believes the traditional Jewish teachings).
There is a strong antagonism between the two camps.

Yes, but this antagonism is in the same religion and not only in two camps but in many, factually speaking.

I am also aware of that and how some Jewish scholars are also scouting the Eastern part of India where they have found the same Jewish practices by some and bringing those people to Israel and at the same time deporting many blacks who claim to be Jewish to their countries of origin. The crisis is all about the true Jewish identity. Many Middle Eastern Jews who are darker in colour are antagonist (using your word) against the 'white' Europeans and so is the rest of the Midddle East. It seems like a passive 'apartheid' in the minds of many.

Newspapers (not counting the religious newspapers published within the religious community) here are exclusively secular and antagonistic against the Religious community. As a given they hold that Orthodox religion is outdated - any article discussing religious/secular conflicts start from that position.

As mentioned earlier, newspapers are just means of information as is the internet. It depends on the individual how to decipher it.

For the Orthodox, gender separation both socially and in religious practice is a given. It has strong cultural roots in the middle east (obviously). This includes seeing women (especially in what they consider non-modest dress) and/or hearing women singing (something prohibited to men under Jewish Law)

Yes, but the times there are changing. That is the reason there is so much hue and cry by the women who have been treated in such a manner and they are acting rightfully in my opinion. Women could not vote in the US not too long ago. The above shows how some live in their biased boxes. What good is the religion/faith if it cannot help a person to move forward, to breed goodness within, to see God in all irrespective of the gender,hue,creed or faith? A religion should not become the place of shackles, repression and suppression but of self-liberation.

Hence, no practice which discriminates others can be considered as ‘is a given’. It is not good for any party involved.

The western wall is a religious site. (As the last remnant of, and the location closest to, the second temple, it is considered holy). As such it follows the traditional gender separation.

In a monotheistic religion where One God is for ALL there is, gender separation is nothing but open discrimination against the gender. If a wall is holy, then it becomes an idol which it has. One should not be afraid to admit that fact.

The conflict here is that a group of "feminist" motivated women -- striving for gender-equality - want equal access to the wall, and consider the Orthodox position out-dated with no place in the modern world.

Please elaborate what you mean by ‘a group of "feminist" motivated women’. It has a tinge of bias and loathing. We all come from a woman as Guru Nanak says it beautifully and we shall not denigrate them. They are our mothers, sisters and daughters.

Is gender equality to perform the same ritual a bad thing? You make it sound like that. Do you think they have the equal right to the access of the idol Wall? If not, then please give reasons. I happen to agree with them on the latter part. Things get outdated and many cling to them stubbornly. It is more like a power grab laced with ego than a quest to be a better being in the eyes of God in my opinion.

This of course offends the Orthodox - for whom gender separation is a given (which does not mean women are seen as "lower" -- just "different", with different roles to play in Jewish life. Theoretically, at least. In practice people are people, and many misunderstand the intentions of the traditional teachings.)

I understand it offends the orthodoxy of the Orthodox because sadly, they consider them superior to women. Of course it does mean women are lower. To put it bluntly, door mats and it is a shame that the so called men of God treat them like that.

Your justification,” (which does not mean women are seen as "lower" -- just "different", with different roles to play in Jewish life. Theoretically, at least”), does not hold water. It is an open discrimination against the opposite sex by ‘the sexist men of God’.

To put it in Sikh terms:

From what I've seen over the last few years, "Who is a Sikh" is a volatile subject today -- in the same way that "Who is a Jew" is.

I totally disagree. "Who is a Sikh" is NOT a volatile subject today or any day. One is not born a Sikh but becomes one.I have no idea what gave you that notion. Have you been reading the same newspapers you loathe?:)

Imagine a group of punjabi sikhs deciding to enter the Golden Temple without covering their heads because they consider that an "old-fashioned" concept with no place in today's modern world.

This hypothetical from a person who claims to be Perennialist makes little sense.

Actually, you should read the article ‘ Bogey Men’ posted here. You may have the better picture of the ladies with the shawls at the Idol Wall with the Sikh women against the orthodox power grabbing Sikhs. That would make a good comparison

After all, most sikhs drink, don't cover their heads, keep their kesh, etc - so observant Sikhs should be tolerant/accept the fact that times have changed and that covering kesh etc. should no longer apply.

Once again, it is a shame to notice that you started very well and degraded with your post. Let me use your own term. Factual proofs please.

What would the reaction be?

My reaction about what? As I said in the other post, one is not born a Sikh like a Jewish would claim but becomes one.

The Sikh community should (IMO) look to the history/experiences of the Jewish people over the last 150 years as a learning source/warning/example of where things can/will go in the Sikh community if people act from ignorance/emotion.

Who are you talking about? “if people act from ignorance/emotion”.

FYI, Sikhi never stopped in time and it never will. Many Sikhs will keep kesh many will not. Nothing wrong with that.

Sikhs are always ready to change, hence the name. Change to be better in every aspect is the only constant for a Sikh.

Thanks for an educating dialogue. Hope to have many more like that.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Here I am the busy-body intercepting your conversation in a very rude way. I need to say that I too stopped for a minute when I read that. But here is the rub... "branch of Hindism influenced by Islam" is a very common description in academic departments because of the influence of McLeod. There are many scholars of Sikhism who do and have disputed that view but a significant contemporary opinion is much as akiva ji has stated. Academics are more likely to be convinced by other academics, even if contrary opinions are well-researched.

For example, Dr. Baldev Singh's methods are unimpeachable, but he held his doctorate in pharmacology, not in eastern religions. Conversely, Dr. Pashura Singh, who was also a student of McLeod, has academic credentials in an academic field that scholars of eastern religion and philosophy recognize. That's the way academia works. Dr. Sahib Singh fits the bill both ways: he was an academic and a student of linguistics and eastern religions. He is dead. It takes fluency in Punjabi and back-breaking effort to locate the earlier 19th and 20th Century scholarship by academics, like Dr. Sahib Singh, who contradict McLeod.

However, My own reaction to that was that akiva ji was beginning with that information and then proceeding with further research.

Spnadmin ji,

Guru Fateh.

I totally agree with you and partly it is also the fault of the Brits. I met Pashura Singh last week. In fact he got the job after my brother mediated between him and those who did not want him at UC Riverside. In fact, my brother was one of the first protesting groups.

Pashura Singh is slowly cutting the shackles of Mcleod which is tough especially for the people in Indian culture for whom Ustad/Master is like a demi god.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

PS: We need more people like Dr. Baldev Singh. The absence of clergy in Sikhi makes everyone at level playing fields, hence demands that. One needs an open-mindedness and the thirst for Sikhi that can never be quenched. The case in point: Dr. I. J. Singh.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Any religion can be a branch of a preceding religion just because everyone is 'talking' about God. Let's just stop the talk and walk the walk :D

PS: Someone banish me if am being too funny!

That's the WHOLE problem !!
You can't just 'WALK the WALK' because you know how to walk.

You have to learn to crawl before you can walk and I'm still crawling down here. What's it like up there ??

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
admin note: This thread will need repair in the near future. Videos that disappeared will be restored in due time. I do not have time to go back and do that now.

I am entering url's of the last several videos, and the very first 2 videos posted in the thread, in the event that are deleted. That way we will have them on record for future discussions, even if they are mysteriously deleted again from other comments/messages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B11F0eeQOTo#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kk_-8GKEhWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RkeHGQVYGOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aglgcKj4W0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMcRq-rB6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2Pvjrfk7AOE

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM