• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Judaism Judaism & Sikhi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
TroVeCatBui ji

Once I read a very interesting article about the compilation of the Hebrew Bible (aka Old Testament). This was not an easy task because of the history of Judaism.

Over centuries, the captivity of the Jewish people, culminating with the destruction of the Temple of David, "temple Judaism ended" and "rabbincal Judaism" began. Teachers from among the people replaced the priests. This is a complicated story, not one to breeze over. Eventually scriptures were compiled as the current Hebrew Bible or Tahnak.

The Torah as a scripture consists of the first 5 books of the Tahnak. It has other meanings as well. Again not a subject to breeze over... however one other meaning of Torah includes the commentaries of Jewish scholars who wrote the Talmud. Perhaps akiva ji will help us with this part of the discussion. And you should do some Google searches too.

One last thought. I like to avoid the use of "Old Testament." There can only be an Old Testament if there is a "New Testament." The New Testament is a Christian scripture; making the term "Old Testament" a concept for Christians alone, and shows a kind of arrogance when one thinks about it. Common use of "Old Testament" shows how Christian thought and culture dominates our thinking, and erases other religious realities. For Jews there is only one testament. So I like to use the title Hebrew Bible.

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
Posting parts of Christian texts without full context misrepresents the similarities and differences between and among religions at best. At worst it interprets other religions through the filter of Christianity. There are those who have had suffered this patiently over centuries.

Full disclosure: I have a strong Perrenialist background, so the study/comparison of Religion, especially the Core similarities and differences, is something I've seen a lot of. I also have a lengthy experiential practice/exposure to Catholicism, Islam and Judaism.

And I agree, there is a tendency in interfaith dialogs to focus on the "similarities", quite often ignoring their context, at which point the "similarities" become anything but that.

One has to look at the teachings "in context", both theological and cultural, before deciding if there's a commonality.

Likewise (and the previous two pages have many examples of this) before bringing examples of perceived "differences" or "problems" one has to understand the situation/quote IN CONTEXT -- that includes knowing the source, what biases that source brings to the question, etc.

As such, it's probably never valid to bring a newspaper article as support/attack in a dialog (since there's always a bias there) - and youtube videos (as nothing more than extended "sound bites") usually lack the necessary context to understand the biases or misrepresenting going on.

And lastly -- Dialog and Debate are not the same thing (IMO Dialog is productive Debate usually not). Once the posters are trying to "prove" their points it's become a debate.

Last edited:

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
Dear SPN,

The only contention I was ever implying was that: religions are different in doctrine, institutional structure and even practice, however there is in my opinion a common basic need in human nature which religion, in whatever form, fulfils and at this most basic level one can find unity.

This sums up the Perrenialist position very nicely.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
It is interesting to notice that the hue & cry for unity and so called dialogue is coming from those who consider themselves:

1. The chosen people.
2. The only way is through Jesus otherwise you are going to rot in Hell as a non-believer.
3. Allah is the only way and if you do not believe in that then you are a K-A-F-I-R and should be killed.

They are the ones who should look for common ground within and come out of their self created cocoons. Harmony is found in acceptance, not in tolerance because the latter breeds hatred, not love.

Disagreements are part and parcel of any dialogue and there is nothing wrong with debates as long as they do not become abusive in an accusatory manner. Debate is a kind of dialogue which start with disagreements in order to find some common ground.

It is rather naive to say that one should not post facts or opinions from other sources like newspaper articles or videos. It is funny because one is trying to have a dialogue on the internet, in a forum where all are faceless. The only medium they have is this one and others mentioned above. It seems like a borderline hypocricy to say the least. If one disagrees with the posted stuff, then one should present his/her arguments. This is the only way a dialogue is created. The rest is nothing but empty rhetoric.

Come to think of it, Guru Nanak was Perennialist long before this term became popular.

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
akiva ji

Maybe then you can periodically provide those contexts we need to understand whether commonalities are really commonalities, and the contexts we need to understand whether differences really make a difference. Otherwise all we have are opinions for better or worse, YouTube videos and newspaper articles. Don't stand on the sidelines. Especially because there are sincere members here who lack information and sincerely seek it.

p/s Then maybe to you can explain as a perrenialist why a core argument such as this "The only contention I was ever implying was that: religions are different in doctrine, institutional structure and even practice, however there is in my opinion a common basic need in human nature which religion, in whatever form, fulfils and at this most basic level one can find unity," has to be illustrated in discussion through the use of textual examples, sans context, that place key differences under erasure.

Last edited:

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
GurFateh

Disagreements are part and parcel of any dialogue and there is nothing wrong with debates as long as they do not become abusive in an accusatory manner. Debate is a kind of dialogue which start with disagreements in order to find some common ground.

A debate is when one side wants to PROVE their point (i.e. win) or disprove the opponents.

A dialog is the search for common ground.

It is rather naive to say that one should not post facts or opinions from other sources like newspaper articles or videos. It is funny because one is trying to have a dialogue on the internet, in a forum where all are faceless. The only medium they have is this one and others mentioned above. It seems like a borderline hypocricy to say the least. If one disagrees with the posted stuff, then one should present his/her arguments. This is the only way a dialogue is created. The rest is nothing but empty rhetoric.
Tejwant Singh

One can bring primary sources. Secondary sources with references.
newspaper articles are fine IF all parties involved understand the biases (and what's NOT being reported)

Respectfully: I could disprove or invalidate most of your attack on vouthon -- but a) this isn't the forum to do so; b) it's non-productive; c) I'd have to bring way too much background information and historical/social context in order to make my point.

For example -- the newspaper you quoted has a strong historical anti-religious bias -- so any report there has to be assumed to be biased AGAINST the religious. (Which it is -- it leaves out a lot of the background, as well as the other side's position) But that's just my word -- so why would you believe me? I'd have to first show you the historical and social origin of that bias -- in context -- which would require exploring the clash between the secular and religious communities. I'd ALSO have to explore the religious views towards gender separation and gender roles. And the role the Western Wall has in Religious thought. And the role of ritual items (prayer shawls) which would require and introduction to the idea of four-cornered fringed garments, etc.

So we can either a) take my word for it; b) spend a LOT of time giving you a lot of background information that you need to intelligently discuss the issue (time I don't have, BTW -- sorry); or c) not attack the other

Personally I chose c

Akiva

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
So we can either a) take my
word for it; b) spend a LOT of
time giving you a lot of
background information that
you need to intelligently
discuss the issue (time I don't have, BTW -- sorry); or c) not
attack the other Personally I chose c
Calling Tejwant Singh Ji's valid debating as an 'attack' on Vouthon Ji would not be justified. Since when I had joined SPN there has always been healthy interfaith debating, and this thread is very well a part of that exercise. If anyone has a hard time answering Tejwant Ji's or any SPN member's questions he/she can very well choose to ignore them rather than obsessing over the intentions of the post author. Creating a virtual battlefield out of a forum thread is not healthy at all.
(P.S.-Akiva Ji, simply coz I quoted your post does not mean I am categorically pointing you out, no offence meant)

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
akiva ji

p/s Then maybe to you can explain as a perrenialist why a core argument such as this "The only contention I was ever implying was that: religions are different in doctrine, institutional structure and even practice, however there is in my opinion a common basic need in human nature which religion, in whatever form, fulfils and at this most basic level one can find unity," has to be illustrated in discussion through the use of textual examples, sans context, that place key differences under erasure.

Personally speaking -- context is everything. Any textual/ritual/social example must be examined in context (which can't really be done from outside - it requires an experiential world-view unique to that system)

And while I have a strong perrenialist background, I think most interfaith dialog is "dishonest" because the people claiming commonality are doing so on superficial, out of context terminology and concepts. "Sound/text bites", as it were. Popular/New Age literature is full of that. At the same time they ignore the differences -- which, again, places everything out of context.

Having said that, I find the blue-quoted text self-evident. To rephrase it - "Humans have spiritual needs. We have that in common"

Akiva

Last edited by a moderator:

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
Calling Tejwant Singh Ji's valid debating as an 'attack' on Vouthon Ji would not be justified. Since when I had joined SPN there has always been healthy interfaith debating, and this thread is very well a part of that exercise. If anyone has a hard time answering Tejwant Ji's or any SPN member's questions he/she can very well choose to ignore them rather than obsessing over the intentions of the post author. Creating a virtual battlefield out of a forum thread is not healthy at all.
(P.S.-Akiva Ji, simply coz I quoted your post does not mean I am categorically pointing you out, no offence meant)

No offense taken.

The only reason I read it as an attack (and if I was wrong I humbly apologise to Tejwant Ji) was that (IMO) he was talking PAST Vouthon Ji instead of trying to understand the point Vouthon Ji was making.

(hence my distinction between dialog and debate)

Akiva

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Akiva ji,

Guru fateh.

A debate is when one side wants to PROVE their point (i.e. win) or disprove the opponents.

A dialog is the search for common ground.

I beg to differ with you. As I mentioned in my post that disagreements are part and parcel of learning processes and it is OK to debate. For you it may be to prove/ win a point but for me it is to further the dialogue by presenting a counter point in order to find a common ground, otherwise it is also OK to disagree because we are all individual beings.Disagreements commonly happen in one's own family. No harm no foul.

One can bring primary sources. Secondary sources with references.
newspaper articles are fine IF all parties involved understand the biases (and what's NOT being reported)

Thanks for agreeing with me what I said before and also above.

Respectfully: I could disprove or invalidate most of your attack on vouthon -- but a) this isn't the forum to do so; b) it's non-productive; c) I'd have to bring way too much background information and historical/social context in order to make my point.

First, you are not being honest.It is a shame that you call my disagreements as attacks towards Vouthon and in the same breath you are looking for a dialogue. This is nothing but sheer hypocricy on your part and uncalled for, or is this a challenge or a cop out? Before you start preaching more, read my first post which made Vouthon all heated up which was surprising to me because he seemed such a gentle and sweet person. As repeated several times before, it is OK to disagree. There is no harm in it. Be fair for your own common ground and a dialogue that you are preaching about. If you were then you would not call my post as attack.

Please do not sit on the fence. It is tough to find any ground much less the common one when one is sitting on the fence.

For example -- the newspaper you quoted has a strong historical anti-religious bias -- so any report there has to be assumed to be biased AGAINST the religious. (Which it is -- it leaves out a lot of the background, as well as the other side's position) But that's just my word -- so why would you believe me?

Again, you do not seem to practice what you preach. This news is in all different Israeli newspaper and TV. Present your side. It is OK with me.

I'd have to first show you the historical and social origin of that bias -- in context -- which would require exploring the clash between the secular and religious communities.

Nothing stops in time as many people wish it would. The case in point is for the Orthodox Jews to join the defence forces because they are burden on other tax payers is one example out of many. Once again present your points so we can all learn and dialogue and debate. You may win which will be fine. Atleast we will all learn from it which is the basic idea.

I'd ALSO have to explore the religious views towards gender separation and gender roles. And the role the Western Wall has in Religious thought. And the role of ritual items (prayer shawls) which would require and introduction to the idea of four-cornered fringed garments, etc.

I would prefer gender equality as Sikhi teaches me.

So we can either a) take my word for it; b) spend a LOT of time giving you a lot of background information that you need to intelligently discuss the issue (time I don't have, BTW -- sorry); or c) not attack the other

Personally I chose c

You can choose all three and present your case. This is the beauty of the learning process. Let's make knowledge our best friend rather than our worst enemy.

Lastly, before you start anything, honesty is the best way. No one attacked anyone as your accusations imply. Read my first post and see if it is an attack and then follow it from there.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
GurFateh

Tejwant Ji

As a preamble: If forced (and so that my position is clear) I would describe myself as sehajdari, more or less. But I'd rather not; I also consider being a Sikh a proactive decision, so for clarity I'll use Sikh (capital S) to describe one who is proactively choosing/living a Sikh lifestyle, as opposed to sikh (small s) to describe a cultural/social sikh (usually one born into a sikh family, possibly going through the motions of being a sikh to one degree or another, but doing it for social/cultural reasons instead of doing it proactively)

Akiva ji,

I beg to differ with you. As I mentioned in my post that disagreements are part and parcel of learning processes and it is OK to debate. For you it may be to prove/ win a point but for me it is to further the dialogue by presenting a counter point in order to find a common ground, otherwise it is also OK to disagree because we are all individual beings.Disagreements commonly happen in one's own family. No harm no foul.

I actually agree with you here -- I think our "disagreement" was one of terminology. I'm using dialog in the classic greek sense.

For me a dialog is a search for the Truth (capital letter intentional)

First, you are not being honest.It is a shame that you call my disagreements as attacks towards Vouthon and in the same breath you are looking for a dialogue. This is nothing but sheer hypocricy on your part and uncalled for, or is this a challenge or a cop out? Before you start preaching more, read my first post which made Vouthon all heated up which was surprising to me because he seemed such a gentle and sweet person. As repeated several times before, it is OK to disagree. There is no harm in it. Be fair for your own common ground and a dialogue that you are preaching about. If you were then you would not call my post as attack.

Addressed in a prior post - it felt to me more a debate and less a dialog. Again I apologize for misunderstanding your intention.

Again, you do not seem to practice what you preach. This news is in all different Israeli newspaper and TV. Present your side. It is OK with me.

Nothing stops in time as many people wish it would. The case in point is for the Orthodox Jews to join the defence forces because they are burden on other tax payers is one example out of many. Once again present your points so we can all learn and dialogue and debate. You may win which will be fine. Atleast we will all learn from it which is the basic idea.

I'm not interested in "winning" -- but in factual dialog.

I would prefer gender equality as Sikhi teaches me.

Agreed. But to understand the Orthodox position one has to accept (temporarily, for the sake of the dialog) their position as valid FOR THEM. Then one can understand why they say and do what they do. Understanding the Other's position is crucial in a dialog (but not in a debate).

Newspaper articles rarely if ever do that. Not is Israel and especially not in the West. (Especially in the West -- where I rarely if ever see an honest, balanced examination of the situation here.)

You can choose all three and present your case. This is the beauty of the learning process. Let's make knowledge our best friend rather than our worst enemy.

Lastly, before you start anything, honesty is the best way. No one attacked anyone as your accusations imply. Read my first post and see if it is an attack and then follow it from there.

respectfully, your original post came across TO ME as antagonistic. Anytime one brings a brief list of items to either support one's positions or to challenge the other's position -- without supplying context or exposition - it's usually an attack. (I accept that wasn't your intention -- but it could be taken that way since it was tangential to the original post's intention)

To briefly explore one issue you brought:

For the last 150 years or so there has been a strong cultural conflict between "secular Jews" - Jews who identify as being born Jews, part of Jewish culture, the importance of Jewish Nationalism/Identity, but NOT religiously observant - and the Orthodox Jews - those who define Jewishness in religious terms (being born a Jew or one who converted - but also one who keeps the traditional Jewish practices and believes the traditional Jewish teachings).

There is a strong antagonism between the two camps.

Newspapers (not counting the religious newspapers published within the religious community) here are exclusively secular and antagonistic against the Religious community. As a given they hold that Orthodox religion is outdated - any article discussing religious/secular conflicts start from that position.

For the Orthodox, gender separation both socially and in religious practice is a given. It has strong cultural roots in the middle east (obviously). This includes seeing women (especially in what they consider non-modest dress) and/or hearing women singing (something prohibited to men under Jewish Law)

The western wall is a religious site. (As the last remnant of, and the location closest to, the second temple, it is considered holy). As such it follows the traditional gender separation.

The conflict here is that a group of "feminist" motivated women -- striving for gender-equality - want equal access to the wall, and consider the Orthodox position out-dated with no place in the modern world.

POINT ADDED FOR CLARITY: Women have access to the wall now -- there is a men's and women's section. the issue here is that these women want the right to observe practices that until now were solely practiced by men (i.e. wearing prayer shawls, singing out loud). THAT is what is being restricted.

This of course offends the Orthodox - for whom gender separation is a given (which does not mean women are seen as "lower" -- just "different", with different roles to play in Jewish life. Theoretically, at least. In practice people are people, and many misunderstand the intentions of the traditional teachings.)

To put it in Sikh terms:

From what I've seen over the last few years, "Who is a Sikh" is a volatile subject today -- in the same way that "Who is a Jew" is.

Imagine a group of punjabi sikhs deciding to enter the Golden Temple without covering their heads because they consider that an "old-fashioned" concept with no place in today's modern world. After all, most sikhs drink, don't cover their heads, keep their kesh, etc - so observant Sikhs should be tolerant/accept the fact that times have changed and that covering kesh etc. should no longer apply.

What would the reaction be?

The Sikh community should (IMO) look to the history/experiences of the Jewish people over the last 150 years as a learning source/warning/example of where things can/will go in the Sikh community if people act from ignorance/emotion.

Respectfully,
Akiva

Last edited:

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
One other explanation:

"Chosen People", as ORIGINALLY intended, referred to being chosen to spread the teachings on monotheism to the entire world (the Jews were meant to be priests to the entire world)

Over time (due to social/cultural changes/opression) it became more exclusive and in many cases elitist -- but that's the fault of people and their weaknesses, NOT the original intention.

In exploring Religion one MUST separate and examine the Teachings and the Practice - practice, in most cases, always falls short if the intention of the Teachings.

Akiva

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
The festival is called Lag B'Omer.

There is a 49 day period between Passover (one of the three major festivals, which was celebrated 3 weeks ago) and Shavuot (the celebration of the receiving of the Torah) called the Omer -- the Omer period deals with the preparation of the grain harvest used in temple offerings.

Tradition is that, during the Roman occupation, there was a plague (literally taken as a disease) that killed a large number of the students of the Religious teachers at the time (teaching religion was forbidden by the romans -- so the "disease" might be allegorical). The plague ended after 33 days.

Lag (in hebrew - L G) is 33 (L=30, G=3) -- so it's a celebration of that event.

It's also the time (for various kabbalistic reasons) when 3 year old boys receive their first haircut. (as seen in the video -- the young boys have long uncut hair)

Traditionally people also build bonfires -- almost definitely an agricultural practice (clearing the fields) that has taken on a mystical meaning over time.

The white head covering is worn by a certain hassidic group (breslov) -- so the person in the video at 3:10 is not a muslim but a breslover hassid.

The picture at the bottom is obviously an observant muslim (the shaved mustache is a giveaway even if the woman in hijab wasn't present in the picture)

UPDATE: The picture (now at the top of the post) is the muslim; the Breslover hassid is the the video at the 3:10 mark

Last edited:

TroVeCatBui

SPNer
Apr 10, 2013
Last edited by a moderator:

akiva

SPNer
Apr 20, 2011
Jerusalem
It's hard to offend me -- your questions certainly don't.

The group in question is Breslov -- a branch of hassidim. They emphasise being happy at all times -- one way of doing so is to dance and sing.

They are also active in outreach to the non-observant public -- which is why they are in the streets.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: