• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Is There A God?

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Narayanjot ji,

This is not directed to me, but I feel the need to respond.

Quote:
Indeed I am often too intimidated by learned people to say just that. Guru Nanak was clearing the soul's marg of impediments. Our journey does not have to be complicated. Yes - engage our soul's energy rather than study it. You are right.[/QUOTE]

Allow me to make the point by way of an example of my own personal experience and from discussions with mainstream Buddhists. By now some readers here would have had accumulated some aversion to my postings, so much so that they won’t bother to even read, while others may read, but can’t help doing so with preconceived ideas. I wish that the quality of attention would be somewhat different towards that what I write below....

A few years ago, just before I came upon the understandings I’ve now come to adopt, I was on an internet forum discussing the nature of mind and religion in general. This must have been due to my own inability to hold complex ideas in my mind and a general aversion to reading materials in which I’d have to consult the dictionary after every few words. ;-) But I made a comment about how the members there were far too involved in intellectualizing and the response I got was that I was expressing aversion due my own inability to think in the way they do. This came across as a smack on the face to me. To be sure, I still judge all that as being lost in intellectualizing, except that now I have good reason for coming to the conclusion.

In contrast is my experience with ‘Buddhists’ later on, both face to face and on internet lists, after I was introduced to what I consider the correct interpretation of the Buddha’s teachings.

In reaction to the interest in study and discussing and of not being involved in any kind of ‘meditation’ practice, I and my friends would be accused of being attached to intellectualizing and failing to see value in such practice. When told that most of us were previously involved like them, in similar practices and had the same ideas as they do, they’d say such things as that we were not patient enough etc. They’d also refer to the Buddha’s own activity of sitting under the bodhi tree and doing what he did and would ignore it when we point out the necessarily huge difference between what the Buddha- to- be knew *before* he became enlightened and what he taught *after* he became the Buddha. They’d also cite descriptions in the texts about monks doing the practice of ‘calm meditation’ which is what many people before and during the time were involved in, completely ignoring the part in which the Buddha encouraged these people to develop ‘insight’ when doing what they did.

They’d completely ignore it when we underscore the fact that he was always talking in terms of insight development whether the audience were monks or they were laypeople, reflected in talks about the need to understand the experiences through the five senses and the mind, no matter what conventional activity anyone happens to be presently involved in, such as when putting on clothes, eating, or going to the toilet. Besides, the records point to the fact that indeed most of the Buddha’s audiences became enlightened while listening to his discourses and many of them when going about living their lives in the normal way while doing mundane things. There’d also be a lack of response to the fact that the Buddha talked about the need for much listening, considering and questioning over many lifetimes extending aeons over.

One reason for this is that they have no clue as to the extent of their own ignorance. And due to attachment to the practice and ‘illusion of result’ invariably got; some would even feel that they could become enlightened in this very life if practice hard enough. And the funny part is that they’d end up talking to each other about such things as the hours of their sitting time or the ‘visions’ they experienced etc.! No clue indeed as to the distinction between concepts (their visions being an obvious example) and reality, which is the most basic of distinctions got as a result of any level of correct understanding of the Buddha’s teachings. Sometimes you’d also have some of them talk about such things as being now without anger unlike before they started to meditate, yet they’d be known to get easily upset if someone came over and knocked the door to the room in which they happen to be meditating on ‘loving kindness’!!

The truth is that all this constitutes “wrong practice” and is result of wrong understanding. This points to the fact of the need for continued exposure to the teachings such that the process of ‘correction’ or ‘straightening of view’ can happen. It is with this that some of us dismiss right off, all those ideas out there from 99+ % of the Buddhist world, associated with ‘meditation’ and practice. And here again, when the original pali is cited as to the meaning of ‘practice’, which is wisdom knowing directly a characteristic of the present moment object, this is never discussed by any of those meditators. They stick and are happy with their own ideas associated with the image of a person who is seriously doing the right things in spite of all obstacles.

Indeed attachment to rites and rituals can be such great motivating force that people easily bear so much unnecessary hardships. Of course if it was patience then I’d not want to discourage, but it isn’t since patience cannot be associated with wrong understanding. It would seem to those people that they are developing all these good qualities as mindfulness, right effort and right concentration and from their perspective, those of us who go on living their lives ‘naturally’ are giving in to attachment.

Obviously all of us who think that we are treading the Middle Way; we’d perceive other understandings as being either on the left or the right. So from the perspective of these meditators, we are on one extreme side of this middle way. But this is because they interpret our ‘natural’ to be an excuse to give in to attachments even though they’d come across no other group of people pointing out subtle forms of attachments otherwise unnoticeable , including that which is associated with the very need to do something in order to understand. The fact is *it is hard to not want results and be tempted thereby to ‘do’ something about it*. The grasping by the majority of the people at the idea of meditation is evidence of this fact. Going on living our lives according to tendencies accumulated from lifetimes over and seeing the value of having patience with all this and not being tempted by promise of result whether self conceived or through suggestions by others, requires some level of right understanding, mindfulness and right effort indeed.

What am I getting at?

This understanding about the need to be ‘natural’ comes from repeatedly considering the fact of all there is at any given moment, as being just one of the experiences through the five senses and the mind. That’s it. Simple, only extremely hard to see, due to the accumulated ignorance and craving. It took me quite some time to arrive at this conclusion with such conviction, since there obviously was the tendency to complicate things and thus continue being blind to what goes on from moment to moment and the realization that in fact all that the Buddha taught, this was what he was pointing to. This is the message I now try to get across to any Buddhist I’m involved in discussions with. I say that the Dhamma is not in the books but the reality now through any one of the six doorways, and that all what is written in those texts is an encouragement towards this particular understanding.

In all this, no one is expected to have direct understanding immediately or anytime soon. The path involves though not linearly, intellectual understanding  direct understanding  realization; however the common denominator is the fact of the attention being drawn to the present moment with some level of understanding. In this regard, I realized although relatively late, that the Buddha’s teachings is never about analysing situations, let alone creating a scenario in our minds and attempting then to apply knowledge. It is about “now” because this is all there is. Thoughts about past and future in this regard, are symptomatic of delusion and craving which again, is what meditators are necessarily involved in.

Narayanjot ji, as I suggested in my last post, that you should take into account that my expressions here must necessarily be different from how I’d talk about these things with friends. The thoughts associated when writing here is encouraging of so much attachments and ignorance that a great deal of proliferation must follow. But as I’ve pointed out above, the Dhamma is really very simple since the object of study is just these five senses and the mind. The difficulty is due the ignorance and craving which hides the truth. In this regard it is not that one ends up complicating things by being caught up in lots of concepts, but there is also the tendency to oversimplify which is equally if not more dangerous. And this may have been an influence in my judgments towards the internet discussion list I mentioned in the beginning.

While those people were involved in concepts pointing towards and encouraging of more complicated concepts rather than the experience of the present moment, the concepts pointing to ‘reality’ now indeed is the greatest of gifts anyone can receive. One distinguishing mark between the right and wrong ‘pointing to’ is that the former necessarily encourages detachment whereas the latter does the exact opposite, namely attachment. Therefore when we judge someone’s writing as being complicated, this may be because it does nothing for us in terms of detachment. But then again only we can know this for ourselves, but surely we’d have to be aware of any attachments accompanying what could in fact be an instance of oversimplification. And whether he admits it or not, such a person is involved in concepts of his own and likely with as much adherence to them as those he is critical of. And when someone says do this and this will happen and from there that will be the result, isn’t he involved in concepts pointing away from this moment? And isn’t this akin to the blind leading the blind?

The Truth may be simple and not complicated, but surely it is profound and hard to see. But it is from seeing this truth to any extent that we can actually judge what is right and what is not.

I hope some good comes out from all this in spite of the obvious attachment and other unwholesome realities on my part. ;-)

Sukinder

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
curious ji

Funny when I see a new post and the name attached to it prompts me to say "Thank God!" No, I was not referring to you in my exchange with harbhansj ji above, but rather to many accumulations of experience over a period of 5 years.

if I may say some things that may be contradictory. There is a pull within Sikhism toward a pole that often seems anti-intellectual. Don't think, don't analyze, don't express doubt or ask questions, for that is the sure road to ignorance, avidya. The more you do it, the more importance "mind" will give to mind itself, and to its attachments and entanglements in Maya. All intellectuality will accomplish in life is a kind of egotistical investment in the importance, or perhaps value, of one's own evaluations and judgments of the world and material experience. .

But Guru Nanak never said mind or intellect were bad, but more something like this,

ਮਨ ਕਰਹਲਾ ਮੇਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਤੂੰ ਮੈਲੁ ਪਾਖੰਡੁ ਭਰਮੁ ਗਵਾਇ ॥
man karehalaa maerae praan thoon mail paakhandd bharam gavaae ||
O camel-like mind, you are my breath of life; rid yourself of the pollution of hypocrisy and doubt. (Ang 234)

"Breath of life" -- that sounds as if mind has some positive value. I am not sure where the idea that mind is negative. Guru Nanak often said of his mind "Oh my beautiful mind!" and then he reined in and compared mind to a camel that wanders from one oasis to another seeking to slake its thirst, but never finding its satisfaction.

ਕਰਹਲੇ ਮਨ ਪਰਦੇਸੀਆ ਕਿਉ ਮਿਲੀਐ ਹਰਿ ਮਾਇ ॥
karehalae man paradhaeseeaa kio mileeai har maae ||
O my wandering mind, you are like a camel - how will you meet the Lord, your Mother? (Ang 234)

The problem of mind or intellect it turns out is arrogance.

ਮਨ ਕਰਹਲਾ ਤੂੰ ਚੰਚਲਾ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਛਡਿ ਵਿਕਰਾਲਿ ॥
man karehalaa thoon chanchalaa chathuraaee shhadd vikaraal ||
O camel-like mind, you are so fickle; give up your cleverness and corruption. (Ang 235)

These tuks are reminders of the limitations of the mind. Mind can take us from oasis to oasis, but it cannot find its own destination, because it can be so smart that it can even fool itself. In humility, Guru Nanak says that mind's intellect and understanding are shaped -- mind becomes conscious of itself.

ਤਿਥੈ ਘੜੀਐ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਮਤਿ ਮਨਿ ਬੁਧਿ ॥
thithhai gharreeai surath math man budhh ||
The intuitive consciousness, intellect and understanding of the mind are shaped there. (Shaped in humility, Ang 8)

Guru Nanak tells mind to contemplate and look carefully (Ang 234). And he says, Through singing, through listening, Mind receives the treasure of God consciousness:

ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ ॥
gaaveeai suneeai man rakheeai bhaao ||
Sing, and listen and let your mind be filled with love. (Ang 8)

Singing, listening, Mind is able to recognize its own meandering, and for those blessed with the glance of God's grace. Ultimately it is the mind that is blessed by its own effort.

ਨਾ ਓਹਿ ਮਰਹਿ ਨ ਠਾਗੇ ਜਾਹਿ ॥
naa ouhi marehi n thaagae jaahi ||
Neither death nor deception comes to those,

ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
jin kai raam vasai man maahi ||
within whose minds the Lord abides. (Ang 8)

My understanding is that Guru Nanak sees mind or intellect as a work in progress. Because he speaks so intimately to "mind," my own suspicion is that he understands the value of being in a kind of relationship with it.

ਮਨ ਕਰਹਲਾ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਾਜਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਖਰਚੁ ਲੀਆ ਪਤਿ ਪਾਇ ॥
man karehalaa maerae saajanaa har kharach leeaa path paae ||
O camel-like mind, my good friend, take the supplies of the Lord's Name, and obtain honor. (Ang 234)

This is a really quick summing up. There is really nothing in Sikhism quite like the exacting teaching one finds in Buddhism, particularly in Theravedic Buddhism, in which a concept like "thought" or "sensation" is meticulously and studiously explored. Forgive me if I over-simplify. Guru Nanak follows a far more intuitive path and that can also be very difficult. One has to discover direction from many places in Guru Granth, and what one finds are poetic images, that may or may not make sense.

It is a "headless" process in the sense that one must soak one's brains in Gurbani. Sikhism does not have anything like the deeply planted Buddhist tradition of teaching. And sometimes - I am not deliberately misunderstanding your point - it is helpful to read a Buddhist's explanation, from the middle way (as you put it), for why anger is always unhelpful, or why our "soul" does not belong to us as individuals, to get some insight, some vichaar of the Shabad Guru, and then of course go back to soaking.

The thing that intimidates me comes from my own limited capacity to follow rigorous vichaar. It eludes me. Someone will always try to sharpen my understanding, and I won't get it. harbhansji was noting that it is unnecessary, because consciousness comes from living the Shabad not analyzing it.

I think there is a connection in here with scientific knowing and theism. I do not see them at this time as incompatible. A scientist who has a comfortable relationship with his/her mind should be able to take the intuitive leaps toward giving up cleverness and "lovingly tune into the Lord (har liv laae, Ang 234)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.
I'm having fun with this topic. I can't help imagining God laughing at atheist arguments. No offence but I see atheists like children that cannot yet grasp the subtilities of life. I see them like a child who goes to see a movie and spends all the time saying "she is not really dead, she's just an actress...that's not real blood, it's just paint...he didn't really fall off the cliff, etc...we just feel like telling him to shut up and try to follow the story! It's not that his reasoning is false, it's just out of context.
I'm sure God likes atheists like a father cherishes a child that is not very bright; I'm sure they amuse him with their excessive and rigid rationality.
For one thing, science and religion are not opposite, exclusive to one another, otherwise how can we explain that great scientists are often also beleavers. There is no proof that Einstein did not beleave in a personal God, (we know he beleaved in "God")... who say's he didn't keep his most personal beleafs to himself; granted he did not like institutionalised religions.
For some atheists, science is their religion. They blame religion for everything but we see now that it is not religion but our blind faith in science and especially thechnology that
has caused the mess we are all in, economically and ecologically. And we still here the same mantra "science will solve the problems it creates"...yeah, right!
As for myself, I can't help but to beleave in God because He showed me time and time again that he beleaves in me.
I often say to atheists that it is easy to not beleave in God, we don't see him, we don't touch him, we don't hear him, but the most difficult is to not beleave all the other stuff...the media, the latest "scientific" discovery (remember the 2000 bug? scientists made complete fools of themselves).
For sure atheism brought some progress to humanity because of too much oppression from the clergy of most religions, particularly the Catholic Church and the Vatican. But now people have the freedom to seek spiritual elevation for real.

The comparison of God to the tooth fairy or to Santa Claus is reduntant among some atheists that just "don't get it". It vexes me because I don't see why atheists concentrate on God's non-existance, they don't go around telling kids the tooth fairy
does not exist, so why focus so much on God if he doesn't exist? This shows that some atheists have an unsolved existential problem or else they would just let go like anything else as ridiculous as beleaving in Santa Claus. This idea comes from a christian saint and philosopher who said that for someone who doesn't exist, God surely gets a hell of a lot of attention!
I think, though I have no scientific proof, that atheists generally have a problematic relation with their father. God being the father "par excellence" they cannot accept that, probably because they have not succeed to symblolically "kill the father" in order to become a man.

It pleases me to have God in my life. I sometimes need to say
"Thank You" to someone grater than myself.

Atheists beware: when you don't beleave in God you tend to think you are God and since you're not, than trouble starts with your loved ones.:blinkingkaur:
Wah,Wah,
polpolji.
A very good example of what blind faith in religion can do to ones logical reasoning and thought process:veryhappymunda::veryhappymunda::veryhappymunda:.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Dear JasbirKaleka Ji

There are still very significant gaps in theoretical physics

As Science does not have all the answers, it isn't without an element of "blind faith" either

So I am very happy to accept both Scientific and Religious based views of the Creation
Both looking at same thing from different perspectives

:blueturban:

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
I never question the God. I question the way people believe in God. I am against the rituals. I believe in formless the problem start when people are making God same as man.
I have been jap naam for over 40 years.
If I tell what I know people will not believe and it is not my intention to make any one to believe in me. I just want them to know them self. Never mind the God. The almighty can look after him/her self with out our self.

At last...something we can agree on!! Not sure about the last bit though...
:)

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI.

Appreciate all the comments made that we have to understand ourselves first before understanding the GOD. Gurbani is the only source by which one can understand himself and then the God.Right again.

Science has been always discovering their new inventions because of blessing by God to a creat a unique human brain capable for searching many unknown wonders to human beings for constructive and destructive inventions.

Centuries old constant searches for new inventions or because of necessities of human beings through all kinds of evolutions resulted in constructive or destructive fields.

That is science to search more and more to know further understanding by manipulating different methods to bring new conclusions to improve our lives or to destroy our lives without any contributions to spiritual arena.

Spiritually bankrupt society is much more destructive than scientific destructive inventions.

As human brain is eternally wired in with faith and empathetic attitude before even birth.

Gurbani will take you to the level of self understanding which further leads one to understanding of our creator

Faith is the KEY all others are just theories.To wake up faith is to understand oneself and to understand one self need to understand Gurbani.

Jaspi

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Wah,Wah,
polpolji.
A very good example of what blind faith in religion can do to ones logical reasoning and thought process:veryhappymunda::veryhappymunda::veryhappymunda:.

I missed this forum during my brief absence. The word that expresses this can only be found in Portuguese. It is called SAUDADES!

Jasbir Singh ji,

Guru Fateh,

As they say," Blind faith makes people blind".

Tejwant Singh

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL Ji.

Tejwant Singh Ji.

Literally if you can become blind by having a blind faith I can say listen to Bhai Kabir Ji when he begged every one not to become a BANWARA when they call him many names like Pagal or banwars diped in DEEP DHUN of Almighty to be realized.

To me that will be final lap of one's journey to be realized by the Almighty.

JUNU (Pagal Puna) is the key to achieve any goal in this life journey. Human being is perfectly capable of that.

Jaspai

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Jaspi ji,
Spiritually bankrupt society is much more destructive than scientific destructive inventions.

As human brain is eternally wired in with faith and empathetic attitude before even birth.
You are confusing the terms spirituality, empathy and religion.
The fact that its possible to go through those things separately shows that they are not always the same thing.
Spirituality is the process of discovering your inner essence of being.
Empathy is understanding how the other feels.
Religion is a set of beliefs about the world, some of which must be practiced in order to obtain well being of the community.
Faith is belief without evidence.
EDIT:
So my question is:
If empathy is already wired in and when spiritual experiences can be obtained by the "non-believers", what need is there for religion?

Faith is actually wired into the brain of a baby and it has evolutionary reasons. Believing blindly is very important for a child as it could mean the difference between life and death. But is it important for an adult? How? (keeping in mind its different from empathy, religion and spirituality)

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Narayanjot ji,

Quote N:
curious ji

S: This was a mistake, and I was almost going to skip reading the post. ;-)

---------------
N: Funny when I see a new post and the name attached to it prompts me to say "Thank God!" No, I was not referring to you in my exchange with harbhansj ji above, but rather to many accumulations of experience over a period of 5 years.

S: Although I did think that you had my post in mind, I knew that it was an accumulated thing.

--------------
N: if I may say some things that may be contradictory. There is a pull within Sikhism toward a pole that often seems anti-intellectual. Don't think, don't analyze, don't express doubt or ask questions, for that is the sure road to ignorance, avidya. The more you do it, the more importance "mind" will give to mind itself, and to its attachments and entanglements in Maya. All intellectuality will accomplish in life is a kind of egotistical investment in the importance, or perhaps value, of one's own evaluations and judgments of the world and material experience. .

But Guru Nanak never said mind or intellect were bad, but more something like this,

O camel-like mind, you are my breath of life; rid yourself of the pollution of hypocrisy and doubt. (Ang 234)

S: If I may add some details based on my understandings:

Consciousness is sometimes described as ‘that which thinks’. It is not that this is the function of consciousness proper, but rather that in the natural order which is consciousness, after the experience through any sense door, at the mind door, the thinking process follow.

A rough example, there is the experience of seeing, this is followed by the thinking process which makes sense of what is seen as people and things, likewise through the other doorways. This is how we are able to function as we do, recognizing objects, manoeuvring around them, reaching out to grasp at things and communicating with other people. So indeed, it is wrong to think that we can and must try not to think. And such an idea is a problem not only amongst Sikhs but also Buddhists, and I’m sure other religions as well. It’s just that without understanding people come to their own conclusions and finding the kind of idea attractive. And this is one cause for them to then be engaged in all kinds of wrong practices which give rise to the illusion of calm, judged as such because they simply compare with times involved with day to day activities ‘off the cushion’.

And it is not even a case of still water runs deep, but rather the failure at understanding what real agitation of mind is. Anger is just about the only agitation most people recognize, but ignorance and attachment are actually worse, and this they don’t know. It is one manifestation of the latter, particularly those accompanied by pleasant feelings, which is what people sitting to still their minds are involved in and which they take for calm. However be this temporarily or permanently, true calm is actually the absence of attachment, aversion and ignorance. And this is what those people need to come to realize. In other words they need to understand that the problem is not in the ‘thinking’, but rather the unwholesome roots.

----------------
N:
<snip>.....
O camel-like mind, my good friend, take the supplies of the Lord's Name, and obtain honor. (Ang 234)

This is a really quick summing up. There is really nothing in Sikhism quite like the exacting teaching one finds in Buddhism, particularly in Theravedic Buddhism, in which a concept like "thought" or "sensation" is meticulously and studiously explored. Forgive me if I over-simplify.

S: The kind of precision I’d encourage is not the knowing of details, but understanding better and better one’s own mind. The details are there not as a result of analysis by scholar monks, but of insight by the Buddha. So we read what we do conditioned by respect and interest and each person’s accumulated tendencies, but no one should feel obliged to study all or any of the details. One person who has read one paragraph and got a better glimpse of his own mind would have gained much more than another person who has read full books and able to recite them but has never applied any of what he has read to the experience of the moment. Indeed, the study of the Dhamma is so very different from anything else.

When for example, one is reading about what goes on at the sense doors, what is expected is not that one *remembers* those descriptions, but rather a sense of the fleeting, conditioned and impersonal nature of these experiences, such that the attention might be drawn to his present moment experience which could be anything but that which he is presently reading about, for example, the feeling, attachment or thinking which happens to arise then. This is the kind of precision needed; this is how the understanding faculty is sharpened. And this happens not by deliberately directing the mind to a given object, but could indeed be said to take place, in spite of such kind of thought.

----------------
N: Guru Nanak follows a far more intuitive path and that can also be very difficult. One has to discover direction from many places in Guru Granth, and what one finds are poetic images, that may or may not make sense.

S: :) Believe it or not, it was in the context of Guru Nanak’s teachings that initially caused me to talk about the danger of over-simplification in my last post. I didn’t want to say it out and I still feel it is somewhat foolish to think this way, after all I know so very little about what he said and taught. But when you said in another response that you finally came to understand what sikh scholars were pointing to with regard to Guru Nanak’s understandings about the material world, I couldn’t help feeling doubtful about it. I do not have any high opinion about Buddhist scholars, being what they are their approach towards the texts are unhelpful when it comes to the individual who wishes to develop understanding. Indeed if anything, the opinions of these scholars are encouraging of doubt, which is in fact a fetter. Perhaps it is not the same in Sikhism, I don’t know. But there is also that some people talk about ‘things to do’ which sound to me like an encouragement of a form of rite and ritual the wrongness of which I know Guru Nanak to have had some insight into. But then again, Sikhism involves the teachings of nine other Gurus, and some of those things may have originated from there.....

---------------
N: It is a "headless" process in the sense that one must soak one's brains in Gurbani. Sikhism does not have anything like the deeply planted Buddhist tradition of teaching. And sometimes - I am not deliberately misunderstanding your point - it is helpful to read a Buddhist's explanation, from the middle way (as you put it), for why anger is always unhelpful, or why our "soul" does not belong to us as individuals, to get some insight, some vichaar of the Shabad Guru, and then of course go back to soaking.

S: “Or why our "soul" does not belong to us as individuals”, here I must put a break.

This is a misunderstanding that should be addressed. According to the Dhamma, there is no ‘soul’, period. And the appeal is not to any idea of oneness etc., as I think you are alluding to.

The difficulty here is not so much the grasping of the idea but of accepting it truly. There is for example a well known monk whose English translation of the texts is what most if not all, Buddhists websites make reference to. In one of his articles however, he makes it quite clear that the teachings on Anatta or non self is for the purpose of dis-identification, something to be kept in mind serving to facilitate the practice of meditation. This has lead to all sorts of other ideas which again, are contrary to what the Buddha really taught. And for a well known and respected monk to give such impression indeed is a great wrong.

I can understand a new-comer of Buddhism to entertain such thoughts, since he’d likely never considered in terms of one experience through one doorway at a time and is still caught up in taking ideas about persons in particular situations very seriously. He’d likely then to have the tendency to reduce the Buddha’s teachings as being more or less one psychological technique aimed at loosening self-identification. But for a monk who is supposed to be representing the Buddha in a way, for him to talk as if the Buddha’s sacrifice in aspiring to become one and which resulted in prolonging his stay in the cycle of birth and death for incalculable lifetimes, that he would end up teaching what amounts to a psychological technique, this is very foolish indeed. It reflects the shallowness of the thought, but worse is the arrogance.

-----------------
N: The thing that intimidates me comes from my own limited capacity to follow rigorous vichaar. It eludes me. Someone will always try to sharpen my understanding, and I won't get it.

S: :) I used to feel similarly and in my case would often lead to a feeling of lack. But not now, as I think the goal for any individual is not progress towards any set ideal, but understanding oneself *as one is*.

-----------------
N: harbhansji was noting that it is unnecessary, because consciousness comes from living the Shabad not analyzing it.

S: Thanks for clarifying.

-----------------
N: I think there is a connection in here with scientific knowing and theism. I do not see them at this time as incompatible. A scientist who has a comfortable relationship with his/her mind should be able to take the intuitive leaps toward giving up cleverness and "lovingly tune into the Lord (har liv laae, Ang 234)."

S: My interest from the beginning has been the encouragement towards the understanding of cause and effect which is Karma and results. My fear has been that since science puts forward its own ideas in this regard and which does not coincide with that of karma, this would cause those fascinated by science to not think correctly about their experiences especially when it comes to the question of morality. Indeed the correct attitude is one which acknowledges one’s own ignorance and hence seeking to better understand, but with the following of other ideas including that of science, not only this does not happen, but in fact one moves towards ever greater wrong understanding.

Sorry for another long post. But I’ll end now.

Sukinder

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
curious ji

Funny when I see a new post and the name attached to it prompts me to say "Thank God!" No, I was not referring to you in my exchange with harbhansj ji above, but rather to many accumulations of experience over a period of 5 years.

if I may say some things that may be contradictory. There is a pull within Sikhism toward a pole that often seems anti-intellectual. Don't think, don't analyze, don't express doubt or ask questions, for that is the sure road to ignorance, avidya. The more you do it, the more importance "mind" will give to mind itself, and to its attachments and entanglements in Maya. All intellectuality will accomplish in life is a kind of egotistical investment in the importance, or perhaps value, of one's own evaluations and judgments of the world and material experience. .

"Breath of life" -- that sounds as if mind has some positive value. I am not sure where the idea that mind is negative. Guru Nanak often said of his mind "Oh my beautiful mind!" and then he reined in and compared mind to a camel that wanders from one oasis to another seeking to slake its thirst, but never finding its satisfaction.

ਕਰਹਲੇ ਮਨ ਪਰਦੇਸੀਆ ਕਿਉ ਮਿਲੀਐ ਹਰਿ ਮਾਇ ॥
karehalae man paradhaeseeaa kio mileeai har maae ||
O my wandering mind, you are like a camel - how will you meet the Lord, your Mother? (Ang 234)

The problem of mind or intellect it turns out is arrogance.

ਮਨ ਕਰਹਲਾ ਤੂੰ ਚੰਚਲਾ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਛਡਿ ਵਿਕਰਾਲਿ ॥
man karehalaa thoon chanchalaa chathuraaee shhadd vikaraal ||
O camel-like mind, you are so fickle; give up your cleverness and corruption. (Ang 235)

These tuks are reminders of the limitations of the mind. Mind can take us from oasis to oasis, but it cannot find its own destination, because it can be so smart that it can even fool itself. In humility, Guru Nanak says that mind's intellect and understanding are shaped -- mind becomes conscious of itself.

ਤਿਥੈ ਘੜੀਐ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਮਤਿ ਮਨਿ ਬੁਧਿ ॥
thithhai gharreeai surath math man budhh ||
The intuitive consciousness, intellect and understanding of the mind are shaped there. (Shaped in humility, Ang 8)

Guru Nanak tells mind to contemplate and look carefully (Ang 234). And he says, Through singing, through listening, Mind receives the treasure of God consciousness:

ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ ॥
gaaveeai suneeai man rakheeai bhaao ||
Sing, and listen and let your mind be filled with love. (Ang 8)

Singing, listening, Mind is able to recognize its own meandering, and for those blessed with the glance of God's grace. Ultimately it is the mind that is blessed by its own effort.

ਨਾ ਓਹਿ ਮਰਹਿ ਨ ਠਾਗੇ ਜਾਹਿ ॥
naa ouhi marehi n thaagae jaahi ||
Neither death nor deception comes to those,

ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
jin kai raam vasai man maahi ||
within whose minds the Lord abides. (Ang 8)

My understanding is that Guru Nanak sees mind or intellect as a work in progress. Because he speaks so intimately to "mind," my own suspicion is that he understands the value of being in a kind of relationship with it.

ਮਨ ਕਰਹਲਾ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਾਜਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਖਰਚੁ ਲੀਆ ਪਤਿ ਪਾਇ ॥
man karehalaa maerae saajanaa har kharach leeaa path paae ||

This is a really quick summing up. There is really nothing in Sikhism quite like the exacting teaching one finds in Buddhism, particularly in Theravedic Buddhism, in which a concept like "thought" or "sensation" is meticulously and studiously explored. Forgive me if I over-simplify. Guru Nanak follows a far more intuitive path and that can also be very difficult. One has to discover direction from many places in Guru Granth, and what one finds are poetic images, that may or may not make sense.

It is a "headless" process in the sense that one must soak one's brains in Gurbani. Sikhism does not have anything like the deeply planted Buddhist tradition of teaching. And sometimes - I am not deliberately misunderstanding your point - it is helpful to read a Buddhist's explanation, from the middle way (as you put it), for why anger is always unhelpful, or why our "soul" does not belong to us as individuals, to get some insight, some vichaar of the Shabad Guru, and then of course go back to soaking.

The thing that intimidates me comes from my own limited capacity to follow rigorous vichaar. It eludes me. Someone will always try to sharpen my understanding, and I won't get it. harbhansji was noting that it is unnecessary, because consciousness comes from living the Shabad not analyzing it.

I think there is a connection in here with scientific knowing and theism. I do not see them at this time as incompatible. A scientist who has a comfortable relationship with his/her mind should be able to take the intuitive leaps toward giving up cleverness and "lovingly tune into the Lord (har liv laae, Ang 234)."

Thanks Narayanjot ji, for evolving such clarity and then expressing it so beautifully!

May Guru ji give more power to your intellect so that you bring in more and more clarity to basic Sikh philosophy.

Gurufateh and Chardiankalan

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
harbhans ji

wahkaur What happened? Well I probably felt the need at that moment to spend time thinking about "the mind" "my mind" and "mind" and so worked it out best I could. I don't think I have finished working it out. You words serve to give me the encouragement to keep working out.

Confused ji

You are right. It is a long post. I need more than a few minutes to consider what you have said. I am curious why there would be no soul in Buddhism. There may be either doctrinal disagreements on that point, or perhaps differences in definitions, as there are in Sikhism over the nature of jeevatma and paramatma., and the relationship between them.

Don't want to dash off any more response until I really have one. Thank you for creating a context for thinking about things.

As a rule on Saturday nights I leave a few hours either to study other religions or to listen to Flamenco music. Last night I watched videos of H.E. Tsem Thulku Rimpoche. He said a lot, but what sticks this morning is his comment, When you find yourself living outside of the Dharma, stop!

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Jaspi ji,
You are confusing the terms spirituality, empathy and religion.
The fact that its possible to go through those things separately shows that they are not always the same thing.
Spirituality is the process of discovering your inner essence of being.
Empathy is understanding how the other feels.
Religion is a set of beliefs about the world, some of which must be practiced in order to obtain well being of the community.
Faith is belief without evidence.
EDIT:
So my question is:
If empathy is already wired in and when spiritual experiences can be obtained by the "non-believers", what need is there for religion?

Faith is actually wired into the brain of a baby and it has evolutionary reasons. Believing blindly is very important for a child as it could mean the difference between life and death. But is it important for an adult? How? (keeping in mind its different from empathy, religion and spirituality)

Dear Bhagatsingh ji,

Thanks for the post. When we point one finger to ward other. The three fingers are pointed back to us.The thum is pointed upward to……
Most of the religions claim they are the only true religion that have spirituality. Then there should be only one religion. But there is a religion under each stone. From the beginning of the man kind many religions have come and gone.
As I understand the religion are forms by men after the good man preached the good values? We get caught up in the rituals not what was preached.
There is only one law of spirituality that is DO NO HARM TO OTHERS. That is living code. If we look at all the countries they all have the similar constitution that say do no harm. If we follow the laws of the most democratic countries we will not be doing any harm.
Any decision we will make emotionally is always wrong. Most religious people are emotional. We are mostly selfish and want it for ourselves,

It is the living that count not the rituals.

But if the ritual make one happy so be it.

Blind faith is wired in the baby before the baby was born. I can understand that, Is it mean wired for the religion faith? What about the people who were born in USSR they never heard the name of God or religion. Yet they lived a spiritually. I have meat meny who had no concept of God till they came to Canada or USA.

When one claim that his religion is the only true religion I think he is talking from his EGO. That preaches hatred.

Seeker3k

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
SS AKAL Ji.

Tejwant Singh Ji.

Literally if you can become blind by having a blind faith I can say listen to Bhai Kabir Ji when he begged every one not to become a BANWARA when they call him many names like Pagal or banwars diped in DEEP DHUN of Almighty to be realized.

To me that will be final lap of one's journey to be realized by the Almighty.

JUNU (Pagal Puna) is the key to achieve any goal in this life journey. Human being is perfectly capable of that.

Jaspai

Jaspi ji,

Guru Fateh.

I never meant my post to be taken in a literal sense. It was used as a metaphor. We all become blind when we ignore things that need our attention.

Blind faiths are based on dogmas and claim exclusivity that their "magic potion" is the only way to THE ONE SOURCE OF ALL whom Guru Nanak called IK ONG KAAR. In case one does not take their exclusive " magic potion" the god that they have imagined will punish them for eternity and throw them into hell.

Guru Nanak debunked all this with his great vision which he passed on to our other Gurus. He also incorporated the ideas of others with the same thought process which complimented his vision.

Talking about Bhagat Kabir ji's saloks, one should remind oneself as often as possible that not all his ideas passed the benchmark of Guru Nanak's vision- Gurmat ideals- and hence many were rejected.

Would you be kind enough to post the whole salok that you have mentioned in your post and share your own thinking/interpretation/message that you have received from it and how you think it is related to the blind faith?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Narayanjot ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

Guru Nanak follows a far more intuitive path and that can also be very difficult. One has to discover direction from many places in Guru Granth, and what one finds are poetic images, that may or may not make sense.

I want to thank you for what you have mentioned above. Guru Nanak gave us the tools through our only Guru- SGGS, so that we can learn how to make our own GPS's based on Gurmat ideals.

What a vision and the encouragement to be free from our own self made shackles!

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Interesting...this thread started off questioning whether God exists at all but recent posts are focussing on aspects of organised religion in terms of ritual and dogma (incidentally all of which I agree with wholeheartedly as well and it is indeed refreshing that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not burdened by such things)

But returning to the original question then, what do folks think? Does God exist? Simple Yes or No would be fine....

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks Seeker9 ji

A return to the original question is a maybe. Usually I am strict about staying on topic. Sometimes it is necessary for writers to spend some time clarifying an idea that is central to the original question, e.g., scientific skepticism v, blind faith, religion v. spirituality, doctrine v. dogma, and that is why that has happened. Some of us are trying to retrieve more details about one or another aspect of the thread. And sometimes a lot of learning happens along the way. If things go too far afield and there is little to no connection, then a new thread is needed.

But indeed we will come back to the point.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM