• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Meat Eating By Sikhs Acceptable In Sikhism Or Not?

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
It is so sad... Just so SAD... where our "Community" the Sangat has gone.... Nowadays there is no backing in our Community... Where have we gone?!?!? Look at all this "hypocrisy" - We don´t believe(try to understand) in Guru Granth Sahib and in what is written in it - We rather TALK and ARGUE about NONSENSE topics like meat/flesh and stuff. There are much more IMPORTANT things we should focus on - But we are wasting time and breath on this senseless debates our Guru Ji already cleared up.... In Gurudwaras I everytime see people arguing and stabbing each other in the back.. There is NO understanding for the opposite view - There is just the EGO that wants to prove the "I am right" follow me thing.... People who aren´t (for example Vegetarians) are excluded - behind their back everyone slanders .. and much much more..

Look were our Sikhi has gone!
Most things I can see are Rituals and following of groups /sects / Deras /Swamis and all that stuff..

There is no understanding or trying to understand Gurbani....

Tell your baba at local gurudwara that you are suffering and he will replay : Do 5x Sukmani Sahib a day - everything will get better.
BUT HOW? Just recieting some words you don´t understand wouldn´t take your further.. nor it will ease your sufferings...

I DONT get IT! Why , is this so??

I mean watch what is happening ...
Almost every week I hear about Beadbi of Guru Granth Sahib...
I hear that Gurudwaras are demolished to build Deras
Why we can´t get together and fix the current situation?
So WTH? Why don´t focus on such things? Rather that all that other stuff?

Apologies my offending and raging writing.... I just wwanted to tell that someone..

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
It is so sad... Just so SAD... where our "Community" the Sangat has gone.... Nowadays there is no backing in our Community... Where have we gone?!?!? Look at all this "hypocrisy" - We don´t believe(try to understand) in Guru Granth Sahib and in what is written in it - We rather TALK and ARGUE about NONSENSE topics like meat/flesh and stuff. There are much more IMPORTANT things we should focus on - But we are wasting time and breath on this senseless debates our Guru Ji already cleared up.... In Gurudwaras I everytime see people arguing and stabbing each other in the back.. There is NO understanding for the opposite view - There is just the EGO that wants to prove the "I am right" follow me thing.... People who aren´t (for example Vegetarians) are excluded - behind their back everyone slanders .. and much much more..

Look were our Sikhi has gone!
Most things I can see are Rituals and following of groups /sects / Deras /Swamis and all that stuff..

There is no understanding or trying to understand Gurbani....

Tell your baba at local gurudwara that you are suffering and he will replay : Do 5x Sukmani Sahib a day - everything will get better.
BUT HOW? Just recieting some words you don´t understand wouldn´t take your further.. nor it will ease your sufferings...

I DONT get IT! Why , is this so??

I mean watch what is happening ...
Almost every week I hear about Beadbi of Guru Granth Sahib...
I hear that Gurudwaras are demolished to build Deras
Why we can´t get together and fix the current situation?
So WTH? Why don´t focus on such things? Rather that all that other stuff?

Apologies my offending and raging writing.... I just wwanted to tell that someone..

Reply:-
It is not about arguing nonsense topics. Those Sikhs who do not eat meat regard other Sikhs who do as fallen Sikhs. They believe they are not killing any living thing for their food.
These Sikhs with shallow intellects do not know the vegetables they consume have life and feelings. If you sing happy songs or play good music they grow very well but if there is argument or sad things happening around the plants they wither very soon. The curd they eat is composed of millions and millions of living microbes.
They should stop eating vegetarian food including wheat, rice,lentils and vegetables as also curd.
If you have hot topic/s to discuss please come forward and the needful for betterment of our religion.

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011

Veer Ji, I feel your hurt. I understand what you are saying.

What is so hard about staying from these different sects, baabe etc and just be a Sikh of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. What are people scared of? Why go through the middle man when you have direct access to the Guru?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Veer Ji, I feel your hurt. I understand what you are saying.

What is so hard about staying from these different sects, baabe etc and just be a Sikh of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. What are people scared of? Why go through the middle man when you have direct access to the Guru?

its hard to hone your own understanding, its easy to pay someone to share theirs

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
The ultimate purpose of Sikhism is to merge in Waheguru in the lifetime we have got as humans. For this one pointed mind is must. Without mind being one pointed concentration cannot be established. Concentration is also of course concerned with the food we take. Like Guru Gobind Singh Ji says - "Alap Aahar Sulap Si Nindhra ...." so my point of food is for sure connected with the concentration levels. Or in other words food habits also affect the concentration/thinking of humans.

Now the point is how much impact flesh or vegetable have on the thinking of a human? Or which food is better in digestion without stressing much the digestion system coz. digestion is the root cause of most diseases.

i personally feel that vegetables are better for digestion compared to flesh so it's keeps concentration at a better level. ...

what you say ??

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The ultimate purpose of Sikhism is to merge in Waheguru in the lifetime we have got as humans. For this one pointed mind is must. Without mind being one pointed concentration cannot be established. Concentration is also of course concerned with the food we take. Like Guru Gobind Singh Ji says - "Alap Aahar Sulap Si Nindhra ...." so my point of food is for sure connected with the concentration levels. Or in other words food habits also affect the concentration/thinking of humans.

Now the point is how much impact flesh or vegetable have on the thinking of a human? Or which food is better in digestion without stressing much the digestion system coz. digestion is the root cause of most diseases.

i personally feel that vegetables are better for digestion compared to flesh so it's keeps concentration at a better level. ...

what you say ??

best ACCORDING TO gurbani IS ....contentment...SEHAJ...RAJJ...EAT TO LIVE AND NOT VICE VERSA...THORRA SAUNDA..THORRAH KHANDA...IS BEST.

TOO MUCH MAHAN DEE DAAL ( even the amritsaree variety) is bad bad bad...too much chholleh..bad bad bad..too much poorian..bad bad bad..too much jalebis..laddoos,..barfee..khoyah..dahi...lassee...saag..makkee dee roti..all BAD BAD BAD...so dont depend too much on "vegetarian"...it all DEPENDS on "neet"..rajjj...sehaj...contentment...Thats is why Farid Ji declares..RUKHI SUKI KHHAke Thandah panne peeo..THAT is THE BEST.PERIOD. WE FORGET the BASIC PRINCIPLES of GURBANI..and go nit picking on utterly worthless things...is the saag green enough ?? is the meat chicken or beef..jhatka or halaal..free range or farm fed..etc etc..what matters is the PRINCIPLE..the FOUNDATION OF the HEALTHY BODY MIND...contented sehaj..THERAAH VICH mann...

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

what you say ??

well science tells us otherwise. If we hadn't eaten meat we'd still be swinging in the trees. Perhaps Brahmins are trying to de-evolve us so they can rule over all humans. lol
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/prehistoric_life/human/human_evolution/food_for_thought1.shtml

http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/6-14-1999a.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/499111-red-meat-brain-development/

We are Sant and Siphahi, we can eat what we like.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Reply:-
It is not about arguing nonsense topics. Those Sikhs who do not eat meat regard other Sikhs who do as fallen Sikhs. They believe they are not killing any living thing for their food.
These Sikhs with shallow intellects do not know the vegetables they consume have life and feelings. If you sing happy songs or play good music they grow very well but if there is argument or sad things happening around the plants they wither very soon. The curd they eat is composed of millions and millions of living microbes.
They should stop eating vegetarian food including wheat, rice,lentils and vegetables as also curd.
If you have hot topic/s to discuss please come forward and the needful for betterment of our religion.

Paji, this is exactly what I mean... ! We just see the frame... not the picture.. I know we all have our faults, and we shouldnt judge but there is a point , where there is no way around judging... I know some so called " Sikhs " degrade meat eaters.. and that is wrong way.. and that is way I said... that I can only see backstabbing and stuff.. I myself am learning.. and everyday , every minute, every second I learn something.. be it , out of my thinking or due to things I read respectievly hear...

I mean I am missing the brotherhood... Example: like it was in the Jang medan (battlefield).. each sikh cared about the back of the other, there was backing up..

I so wish , I could change anything... but I am a worm... a trouble maker.. I don´t have the "it" , but I keep trying everyday to get that "it" ... I mean in several dicussion with other Sikhs.. they ALWAYS attacked me, rather then even TRYING to understand my viewpoint or what I am saying... they just don´t... I Know it is easy to blame others .. it is easy to someone fault... but were do we draw the line?

"
<table cellspacing="5" height="282" width="503"><tbody><tr><td> ਕੂਪੁ ਭਰਿਓ ਜੈਸੇ ਦਾਦਿਰਾ ਕਛੁ ਦੇਸੁ ਬਿਦੇਸੁ ਬੂਝ
कूपु भरिओ जैसे दादिरा कछु देसु बिदेसु न बूझ ॥
Kūp bẖari▫o jaise ḏāḏirā kacẖẖ ḏes biḏes na būjẖ.
The frog in the deep well knows nothing of its own country or other lands;

</td></tr> <tr><td>
ਐਸੇ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਬਿਮੋਹਿਆ ਕਛੁ ਆਰਾ ਪਾਰੁ ਸੂਝ ॥੧॥

ऐसे मेरा मनु बिखिआ बिमोहिआ कछु आरा पारु न सूझ ॥१॥

Aise merā man bikẖi▫ā bimohi▫ā kacẖẖ ārā pār na sūjẖ. ||1||

just so, my mind, infatuated with corruption, understands
nothing about this world or the next. ||1||

</td></tr> <tr><td></td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>..............."
</td></tr></tbody></table>

:confusedmunda:

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I so wish , I could change anything... but I am a worm... a trouble maker.. I don´t have the "it" , but I keep trying everyday to get that "it" ... I mean in several dicussion with other Sikhs.. they ALWAYS attacked me, rather then even TRYING to understand my viewpoint or what I am saying... they just don´t... I Know it is easy to blame others .. it is easy to someone fault... but were do we draw the line?

Welcome to the International association of Worms! I would rather be a worm than a lemming

May 24, 2008
Sikhs are wasting energy on Meat , Hemkunt , manikaran etc . But a large section of Sikhs is unaware of basics of Sikhi , even cannot translate Moolmantar , contents of Sikh Rehat Maryada , name of Ten Gurus . We should try to propagate these among Sikhs , it is my firm belief that even if each human is told about Sikhi for even five minutes then whole of the Universe( 7 billion people) shall be attracted towards it . whether they follow it or not does not matter at least they will be highly respectful of Sikhs & Sikhi . We should try to devote energy towards that .

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
WE DONT NEED any Gurdwara attendances, Kirtans, Katha etc etc..to REMEMBER our Father, Mother, Wife Kids, relatives etc etc.....WHY DO WE NEED to be at the Gurdwara, hear Kirtan Katha etc TO "REMEMBER" WAHRGURU ?? Actually 99.9^% of People attend GURDWARA NOT to "remember" HIM BUT TO ASK..ask..ask..ask..ask..ask !!! OUR whole LIFE revolves around ASKING BEGGING..When Gurbani says..Deneea deh laindeh thhak payeh...BUT we Never THAAK asking for more and more...Its true that our MANN is NOT interested in remembering HIM...only in asking for MORE...

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
WE DONT NEED any Gurdwara attendances, Kirtans, Katha etc etc..to REMEMBER our Father, Mother, Wife Kids, relatives etc etc.....WHY DO WE NEED to be at the Gurdwara, hear Kirtan Katha etc TO "REMEMBER" WAHRGURU ?? Actually 99.9^% of People attend GURDWARA NOT to "remember" HIM BUT TO ASK..ask..ask..ask..ask..ask !!! OUR whole LIFE revolves around ASKING BEGGING..When Gurbani says..Deneea deh laindeh thhak payeh...BUT we Never THAAK asking for more and more...Its true that our MANN is NOT interested in remembering HIM...only in asking for MORE...

My comments:-
Gyaniji, I agree with you that one should not go to Gurdwaras just for begging for bounties and for more and more. When we go to Gurdwaras we listen to the discourses of Kirtan, Katha etc. by means of which we learn about our religion. Though I am not a regular to Gurdwaras I appreciate people going regularly to Gurdwaras, listening Kirtan, Katha etc and doing Sewa. When we are sick or have any problems in life we should not hesitate for asking God to give us relief from our plight.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Palingtha Ji,

My comment is NOT about "NOT GOING" to GURDWARAS....
My POINT is...WHY do we NEED all this VAST ADMBAR...Karam kaand various actions, activities, etc etc just so we can "remember" HIM !! WE SHOULD be CONSTANTLY REMEMBERING HIM !!
BY all means GO to Gurdwara..in fact we MUST and SHOULD go because SANGAT is Vital part of our Way of LIFE !! GURMATT is incomplete without sangat.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Sikhs are wasting energy on Meat , Hemkunt , manikaran etc . But a large section of Sikhs is unaware of basics of Sikhi , even cannot translate Moolmantar , contents of Sikh Rehat Maryada , name of Ten Gurus . We should try to propagate these among Sikhs , it is my firm belief that even if each human is told about Sikhi for even five minutes then whole of the Universe( 7 billion people) shall be attracted towards it . whether they follow it or not does not matter at least they will be highly respectful of Sikhs & Sikhi . We should try to devote energy towards that .

but I want to know whether they would sit on the floor or on chairs to learn these things? :angryyoungkaur:

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
I'm vegetarian. Have been for about 25 years. I don't do it because a religion says its good or bad. I do it because I can't look at a cow and eat it for dinner.

I know many people are not bothered by that. And others live in denial just like I do when it comes to Red #40 (its a red coloring used to color juices, jelly, ketchup, etc. & its made from crushed beetles).

I am considering becoming vegan because of factory farming. Eggs that say they are cage free may actually be living like this:

1z23wx2.jpg

I love reading in the banis daily that Har cherishes the elephant and the ant. It tells me I am right to cherish them also.

So this is all personal perspective. I once wanted a religion that commanded followers to be vegetarian, but I like that Sikhi has as little dogma as possible. It forces Sikhs to think things through for themselves. Rather than letting someone tell me what to do, I ask God to guide me.

peacesign

jsteji1

SPNer
Jan 7, 2011
When we submit and read Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji, we begin to understand a lot of things and well beyond meat and other aspects of life. When we read Gurbani we become humbler than before.

Scientifically, there are a lot of articles on the association of meat and cancer. The cost effectiveness of raising meat is much higher than vegetables. The discussion also fades away when we read Guru Granth Sahib with understanding and with reflection and as we read and reflect we evolve more.

Guru Rakha!!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Scientifically, there are a lot of articles on the association of meat and cancer. The cost effectiveness of raising meat is much higher than vegetables.
Guru Rakha!!

WRONG!

All these are not true.

You are refering ofcourse to the Pachauri report to the UN (Pachauri himself a Vaishnavite). He somehow ignores milk production (maybe because he drinks milk). Meat production is higher but you need less than vegetable food (in terms of calorific value). So it's all about the same.

He also ignores the fact that huter gatherer lifestyle is the greenest of them all. Then again this does not agree with his value set.

What Bani says is, to argue about meat and vege is fruitless, because it won't make you evolve more what diet you eat.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I'm vegetarian. Have been for about 25 years. I don't do it because a religion says its good or bad. I do it because I can't look at a cow and eat it for dinner.

I know many people are not bothered by that. And others live in denial just like I do when it comes to Red #40 (its a red coloring used to color juices, jelly, ketchup, etc. & its made from crushed beetles).

I am considering becoming vegan because of factory farming. Eggs that say they are cage free may actually be living like this:

I love reading in the banis daily that Har cherishes the elephant and the ant. It tells me I am right to cherish them also.

So this is all personal perspective. I once wanted a religion that commanded followers to be vegetarian, but I like that Sikhi has as little dogma as possible. It forces Sikhs to think things through for themselves. Rather than letting someone tell me what to do, I ask God to guide me.

peacesign

I think even as a vegan you must educate yourself as most farming, vege, meat, dairy etc annihalates the environment. It depends on how much that farming puts back in hence why I go for organic meat and veg.

Vegetables can hold some nasty surprises:

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/fs_management/surfac_decon/en/index.html

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/12_06/fearoffresh.pdf

http://www.sierraclub.org/sustainable_consumption/food_factsheet.asp

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM