• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It A Sin For A Sikh To Marry A Non-Sikh?

punjabi-kudi

SPNer
Mar 21, 2008
Perth, Australia
Hi there everyone, I just wanted to say hello! and I have a QUESTION

I have just discovered this site, found it very interesting.

I have a question.. Is Guru Nanak Dev Ji our god? as I have done research hes just a guru as in teacher.. but the way i was brought up, it was known to me as my god.

Thanks

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Re: Hi there everyone, I just wanted to say hello! and I have a QUESTION

I have just discovered this site, found it very interesting.

I have a question.. Is Guru Nanak Dev Ji our god? as I have done research hes just a guru as in teacher.. but the way i was brought up, it was known to me as my god.

Thanks

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

ਭੈਰਉ ਮਹਲਾ
भैरउ महला ५ ॥
Bẖairo mehlā 5.
Bhairao, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਬੇਮੁਹਤਾਜੁ
सतिगुरु मेरा बेमुहताजु ॥
Saṯgur mėrā bėmuhṯāj.
My True Guru is totally independent.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਚਾ ਸਾਜੁ
सतिगुर मेरे सचा साजु ॥
Saṯgur mėrė sacẖā sāj.
My True Guru is adorned with Truth.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਭਸ ਕਾ ਦਾਤਾ
सतिगुरु मेरा सभस का दाता ॥
Saṯgur mėrā sabẖas kā ḏāṯā.
My True Guru is the Giver of all.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਬਿਧਾਤਾ ॥੧॥
सतिगुरु मेरा पुरखु बिधाता ॥१॥
Saṯgur mėrā purakẖ biḏẖāṯā. ||1||
My True Guru is the Primal Creator Lord, the Architect of Destiny. ||1||

ਗੁਰ ਜੈਸਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋ ਦੇਵ
गुर जैसा नाही को देव ॥
Gur jaisā nāhī ko ḏėv.
There is no deity equal to the Guru.

ਜਿਸੁ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਭਾਗੁ ਸੁ ਲਾਗਾ ਸੇਵ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
जिसु मसतकि भागु सु लागा सेव ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Jis masṯak bẖāg so lāgā sėv. ||1|| rahā­o.
Whoever has good destiny inscribed on his forehead, applies himself to seva - selfless service. ||1||Pause||

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਰਬ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲੈ
सतिगुरु मेरा सरब प्रतिपालै ॥
Saṯgur mėrā sarab paraṯipālai.
My True Guru is the Sustainer and Cherisher of all.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਾਰਿ ਜੀਵਾਲੈ
सतिगुरु मेरा मारि जीवालै ॥
Saṯgur mėrā mār jīvālai.
My True Guru kills and revives.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ
सतिगुर मेरे की वडिआई ॥
Saṯgur mėrė kī vadi­ā­ī.
The glorious greatness of my True Guru,

ਪ੍ਰਗਟੁ ਭਈ ਹੈ ਸਭਨੀ ਥਾਈ ॥੨॥
प्रगटु भई है सभनी थाई ॥२॥
Pargat bẖa­ī hai sabẖnī thā­ī. ||2||
has become manifest everywhere. ||2||

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਤਾਣੁ ਨਿਤਾਣੁ
सतिगुरु मेरा ताणु निताणु ॥
Saṯgur mėrā ṯāṇ niṯāṇ.
My True Guru is the power of the powerless.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਘਰਿ ਦੀਬਾਣੁ
सतिगुरु मेरा घरि दीबाणु ॥
Saṯgur mėrā gẖar ḏībāṇ.
My True Guru is my home and court.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਹਉ ਸਦ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਇਆ
सतिगुर कै हउ सद बलि जाइआ ॥
Saṯgur kai ha­o saḏ bal jā­i­ā.
I am forever a sacrifice to the True Guru.

ਪ੍ਰਗਟੁ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਰਿ ਦਿਖਲਾਇਆ ॥੩॥
प्रगटु मारगु जिनि करि दिखलाइआ ॥३॥
Pargat mārag jin kar ḏikẖlā­i­ā. ||3||
He has shown me the path. ||3||

ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਉ ਬਿਆਪੈ
जिनि गुरु सेविआ तिसु भउ न बिआपै ॥
Jin gur sėvi­ā ṯis bẖa­o na bi­āpai.
One who serves the Guru is not afflicted with fear.

ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਤਿਸੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੰਤਾਪੈ
जिनि गुरु सेविआ तिसु दुखु न संतापै ॥
Jin gur sėvi­ā ṯis ḏukẖ na sanṯāpai.
One who serves the Guru does not suffer in pain.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋਧੇ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਬੇਦ
नानक सोधे सिम्रिति बेद ॥
Nānak soḏẖė simriṯ bėḏ.
Nanak has studied the Simritees and the Vedas.

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਹੀ ਭੇਦ ॥੪॥੧੧॥੨੪॥
पारब्रहम गुर नाही भेद ॥४॥११॥२४॥
Pārbarahm gur nāhī bẖėḏ. ||4||11||24||
There is no difference between the Supreme Lord God and the Guru. ||4||11||24||

Source: Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Punjabi kudi ji,
If one want's to obtain any thing in life from anyone whether from SatGuru, Teacher, Parents, Grandparents, Siblings, Friends, Unknown person then one must always show respect !

The consequence of disrespect or no respect, will result in pain & No Gain !

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Last edited by a moderator:

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
not funny

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Message posted with the toon.

"It looks pretty strange when we see a Gursikh man with a wife having trimmed hair and wearing short clothes. Is it not shameful on our part if we cannot influence our life partner to follow the tenets of Sikhism"

One will find out whether it's Funny or not, when one moves around in Punjabi Society or in Punjab, Punjabi kudi ji !

You will only find Bhekhis (deceptive people) not Gursikhs who will get married to such a person !

The toon should have shown the Fake below to portray REALITY !

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Guru is neither physical body, nor physical printed pages. Guru is a Soul that never re-incarnates. Guru is beyond birth and death. Guru is the Bani (Celestial Sound Current) - the Anhad Bani, Naam, Shabad.

References of True Guru are found in the pages of SGGS. Anymore questions ?

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Re: Social Outlook

Kindly see the link below for English version

Sikhpoint ------- Sikh Humor

yeah

not funny and IMHO a crude and male ego satisfying cartoon

<<"It looks pretty strange when we see a Gursikh man with a wife having trimmed hair and wearing short clothes. Is it not shameful on our part if we cannot influence our life partner to follow the tenets of Sikhism" >>

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

It is sort of implausible. The whole idea. That may be why it is a cartoon -- but the image is yes a male-centric view. Not a big laugh on my end either.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

yeah

not funny and IMHO a crude and male ego satisfying cartoon

<<"It looks pretty strange when we see a Gursikh man with a wife having trimmed hair and wearing short clothes. Is it not shameful on our part if we cannot influence our life partner to follow the tenets of Sikhism" >>

What type of male ego you have seen in that cartoon :confused::confused:

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006

this statement KDS ji, specially the words - shameful, influence

we have had a long debate over this stuff :)

i don't think the topic deserves another debate.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

this statement KDS ji, specially the words - shameful, influence

we have had a long debate over this stuff :)

i don't think the topic deserves another debate.

But still I don't understand what type of male ego you have seen in that cartoon.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
i am sorry KDS ji

i can't explain any better

the statement seems to make an egoistic statement that as a "sikh" man, your wife should follow your tenets, coz other wise its so "shameful" for you <hidden message - manhood>

i just felt it this way, it is not necessary for everyone to feel the same.

not everyone responds toa joke the same way.

so i don't think there is anything to be debated. i just stated my "opinion"

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
amarsanghera ji

I read it the same way you did. The only way the cartoon reads in my mind is that she is riding on his scooter (horse, camel, chariot). So in theory he would have asked her to hop on. He chose her -- and the cartoon is suggesting that he has bad judgment. Reason?

Accordng to rehat a man must make every effort to have his wife baptized -- which always puzzled me because women themselves can make that decision for themselves. The rehat goes back to the early 20th Century when men made these decisions for women, but the cartoon is in modern times.

It is taking too long to get to the point. The "joke" is that he didn't do his duty, or won't do his duty" therefore Shame, Shame, Shame. Leaving the woman's decisions off the radar screen so to speak.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
I thought that maybe the imagery was a little sexist in that the man was typically covered up and the woman in short skirt, tight shirt and makeup. Would we have laughed if the roles were reversed -- woman in salwar kameez, hair covered with dastar and chunni, driving in front and the man in tights shorts with a skin tight t-shirt and hair cut?

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Accordng to rehat a man must make every effort to have his wife baptized -- which always puzzled me because women themselves can make that decision for themselves. The rehat goes back to the early 20th Century when men made these decisions for women, but the cartoon is in modern times.>>

this is exactly why i take the rehat with a pinch of salt. why follow anything which doesn't even stand the tests of changing times.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I thought that maybe the imagery was a little sexist in that the man was typically covered up and the woman in short skirt, tight shirt and makeup. Would we have laughed if the roles were reversed -- woman in salwar kameez, hair covered with dastar and chunni, driving in front and the man in tights shorts with a skin tight t-shirt and hair cut?

That too!

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

The cartoon of a Singh riding a scooter while his wife is the pillion rider shows how most of the society feels about a Sikh marrying a non-Sikh.

Indian Sikh society, especially in Punjab are very conservative in terms of marriage. They don't even marry outside their caste leave aside religion. Yes, the society at large is sexist & has double standards.

For example if the girl in picture was his girl friend or lover than it is looked upon as an achievement but not as his wife. On the other hand it is unimaginable to think that a Sikh girl is riding with a non-Sikh leave aside coming across one in Punjab. If such a case is discovered by someone in the family or relative or community or village that means disaster !

One can only encounter a Sikh (Bhekhi or Fake) marrying a non-Sikh when the person & family is gaining something like foreign visa, citizenship, money, property, status etc

Sardar (ones keeping hair but not following Gurmat) and ones born in a Sikh family but not following Gurmat, don't mind getting married to a non-Sikh.
No Gursikh will give into Kaam (lust) or Moh (emotional attachment) to choose a non-Sikh for marriage unless he or she is not a Gursikh to begin with !

Most of the readers of foreign origin will find all this funny or hard to believe but that is how it is !

As for being sexist society, why do you think that birth ratio of girls is very low in Indian or Punjabi society compared to boys ?

Lastly it is vital to find a compatible match having the same spiritual level of understanding in regards to religion for marriage.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I am mystified. That is all. Still hold you in high regard Singhbj.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

The cartoon of a Singh riding a scooter while his wife is the pillion rider shows how most of the society feels about a Sikh marrying a non-Sikh.

How do you know how Most of Society feels about anything?

Indian Sikh society, especially in Punjab are very conservative in terms of marriage. They don't even marry outside their caste leave aside religion. Yes, the society at large is sexist & has double standards.

Your observation may be true -- I don't know -- and would need to see some data to check things out. But that doesn't matter in the discussion. The cartoon's lack of humor is what we were taking a look at in the last several posts. Three women didn't think it was funny. One of them lives in India.

For example if the girl in picture was his girl friend or lover than it is looked upon as an achievement but not as his wife. That's not nice. I hope that view is not prevalent. If it is we have a couple of :}8-:s working at large.

On the other hand it is unimaginable to think that a Sikh girl is riding with a non-Sikh leave aside coming across one in Punjab. If such a case is discovered by someone in the family or relative or community or village that means disaster. Your comment reinforces the idea that the cartoon promotes a sexist view. When I said male-centric I was trying to be polite. Maybe that was a mistake.

One can only encounter a Sikh (Bhekhi or Fake) marrying a non-Sikh when the person & family is gaining something like foreign visa, citizenship, money, property, status etc
Always?

Sardar (ones keeping hair but not following Gurmat) and ones born in a Sikh family but not following Gurmat, don't mind getting married to a non-Sikh.
No Gursikh will give into Kaam (lust) or Moh (emotional attachment) to choose a non-Sikh for marriage unless he or she is not a Gursikh to begin with ! Are Kaam and Moh 2 of 5 :}8-:s? Is marrying a nonSikh the 6th :}8-: that we didn't hear about until now? Do you think I should get a divorce then?

Most of the readers of foreign origin will find all this funny or hard to believe but that is how it is !

I find this neither funny nor hard to believe.

As for being sexist society, why do you think that birth ratio of girls is very low in Indian or Punjabi society compared to boys ? I think many Sikhs of Indian origin and in Indian society are very upset by this and are working to see to it that policies and laws are enforced by the government that prohibit female foeticide.

Lastly it is vital to find a compatible match having the same spiritual level of understanding in regards to religion for marriage. No argument with this statement -- but spiritual level of understanding is not limited to Sikhs.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Hope I am not sounding cranky. I don't want to sound cranky. It is a concern to me that Sikhs define the thoughts, motivations, spirituality of all other Sikhs from a single point of view. It just is not so.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<The cartoon of a Singh riding a scooter while his wife is the pillion rider shows how most of the society feels about a Sikh marrying a non-Sikh.

Indian Sikh society, especially in Punjab are very conservative in terms of marriage. They don't even marry outside their caste leave aside religion. Yes, the society at large is sexist & has double standards. >>

the cartoon tries to depict the small sikh child as the voice of "sikh"

i find it shameful that the voice of "sikh" mirros that of a sexist society.

<<For example if the girl in picture was his girl friend or lover than it is looked upon as an achievement but not as his wife. On the other hand it is unimaginable to think that a Sikh girl is riding with a non-Sikh leave aside coming across one in Punjab. If such a case is discovered by someone in the family or relative or community or village that means disaster !>>>

i don't know which part of punjab you live in, times are changing.

<<Sardar (ones keeping hair but not following Gurmat) and ones born in a Sikh family but not following Gurmat, don't mind getting married to a non-Sikh.
No Gursikh will give into Kaam (lust) or Moh (emotional attachment) to choose a non-Sikh for marriage unless he or she is not a Gursikh to begin with !
>>>

how can you be sure that Sikh women are not sexually attractive to the Gursikhs ( illiciting Kaam)

so you mean that having feelings(kaam) for a gursikh woman/man is okay?

its a revelation!!!

<<Most of the readers of foreign origin will find all this funny or hard to believe but that is how it is ! >>

i am not of foreign( i don't know what it means) origin, but i found the cartoon in bad taste.

<<Lastly it is vital to find a compatible match having the same spiritual level of understanding in regards to religion for marriage.>>

spiritual awakening has no linkage with the path.
all paths lead to same One.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: