• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Hindu/Sikh A Valid Adherent?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Gurfatehji

A subject that needs some validation, I am aware that it is not uncommon for Hindus to also pray to Guru Nanakji, which I take as a huge compliment, but given the myriad of deities that Hindus have available to them, it does not seem unreasonable for a Hindu to do this.

However, some Hindus feel this should be reciprocated by our acceptance and worship of these deities, which is simply impossible under the SRM which clearly states:-

Article I – Definition of Sikh

Any human being who faithfully believes in:
• One Immortal Being
• Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Dev to Guru Gobind Singh
• The Guru Granth Sahib
• The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus
• The baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh.

I am aware that some people use the adherent Hindu/Sikh, but how can the teachings be anything other than a melting pot of contradictory opinions and concepts?

Hinduism has the caste system, Sikhism has strict rules regarding equality, the fact that these are not followed is another matter....
Hinduism has reincarnation, Sikhism does not
Hinduism has Karma, Sikhism does not
Hinduism is full of rituals and exciting ceremonies, Sikhism has gone out of its way to distance itself from such

I know that there are Sikhs who embrace a lot of Hinduism without even realising it, but there are too many differences, the end result is a confusion.

I have nothing against the Hindu religion, I have a lot of respect for the many Gods and Goddesses, I have respect for the right of anyone to worship anything they so wish, but do I believe they existed? No, of course not, I am a Sikh, I believe only in Creator that has no birth or death and without form, and that invalidates the Hindu Gods, so I cannot believe in them, although any concept that agrees with Sikhi, I am happy to embrace, but with the direction coming from Creator, not Idols.

As a Sikh, Creator Created, and that is it, its boring, its not exciting, no bells and whistles, no fire or sun worship, just simple tuning into Creators voice to achieve salvation with the minimum of fuss and ceremony.

So I would be interested in comments as to what a Hindu/Sikh actually is

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
MOST OF YOUR FACTS ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Sikhism does believe in the 840sky/water reincarnations and believes in KARMA. Although, I musat agree that Sikhism does restrict the caste system, many traditional indian Sikhs still use it, I can gurantee to you over 90% of Sikhs do take the caste system seriously, but in different ways, as in like some people only let their jatt sons marry jatt ladys instead of chamar girls. We also do have cerimonies like Holamahala which is almost identical to Hindu Holi. Why do you think the guru ji made the same so similar? It isn't a coincedence. You are making our religion seem abrahamic, but really we are dharmic.

Aug 28, 2010
It should be interesting to know who has given definition to Sikhs.??
One should always respect the other faiths and philosophies. Adhering to a particuar philosophy is individuals right.But this does not allow disrepect for others.This has been the way of thinking of Sikh GuRus.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
MOST OF YOUR FACTS ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Sikhism does believe in the 840sky/water reincarnations and believes in KARMA. Although, I musat agree that Sikhism does restrict the caste system, many traditional indian Sikhs still use it, I can gurantee to you over 90% of Sikhs do take the caste system seriously, but in different ways, as in like some people only let their jatt sons marry jatt ladys instead of chamar girls. We also do have cerimonies like Holamahala which is almost identical to Hindu Holi. Why do you think the guru ji made the same so similar? It isn't a coincedence. You are making our religion seem abrahamic, but really we are dharmic.

Kamalaji

Many thanks for your post, I note you are in fact Hindu/Sikh, so what a wonderful chance for me satisfy my question by interacting with a knowledgeable person of the very adherent that I find confusing.

Firstly let us ponder the wise words of the SRM on the subject:-

A Sikh’s living, earning livelihood, thinking and conduct should accord with the Guru’s tenets. The Guru’s tenets are:
a. Worship should be rendered only to the One Timeless Being and to no god or goddess.
b. Regarding the ten Gurus, the Guru Granth and the ten Gurus word alone as saviors and holy objects of veneration.
c. Regarding ten Gurus as the effulgence of one light and one single entity.
d. Not believing in cast or descent, untouchability, magic, spells, incantation, omens, auspicious times, days and occasions, influence of start, horoscopic dispositions, shradh (ritual serving of food to priests for the salvation of ancestors on appointed days as per the lunar calendar), ancestor worship, khiah (ritual serving of food to priests - Brahmins - on the lunar anniversaries of the death of an ancestor), pind , there is more,

http://www.gurunanakdarbar.net/sikhrehatmaryada.pdf

So Kamalaji, please educate me as to how you can possibly be a Sikh? if you believe in points (d), which seems to go dead against the SRM.

Also when you say 'We' I find it most confusing, do you mean 'We' Hindus? 'We' Sikhs or 'We' Hindu/Sikhs?

I look forward to your clarification on the matter, thank you

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
One should always respect the other faiths and philosophies. Adhering to a particuar philosophy is individuals right.But this does not allow disrepect for others.This has been the way of thinking of Sikh GuRus.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Prakashji,

Out of respect I have tended to not really get involved in debate with you, however as you have so kindly contributed to this thread, I feel honour bound to reply,

Well, that would probably be the SGGS and for clarification on interpretation, the SRM, would you not say?

One should always respect the other faiths and philosophies

I have not shown any disrespect for any faith, I have merely said I do not believe in them any more than I believe in the tooth fairy, however, I respect all faiths and the right of anyone to follow whatever faith they choose. I am quite fond of the saying, if you are a Hindu, be a good Hindu, if you are a Muslim, be a good Muslim, and if you are a Sikh, be a good Sikh

I note that you use the phrase 'definition to Sikhs' as if you were speaking as someone who is not a Sikh, kindly explain

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
Mr.Haller, there is a difference between beleiving in a goddess/god and beleiveing they existed. I do not go to mandirs and pray to the gods/goddesses, I go to the mandir to pay my respects to them. I beleive that those goddesses/gods do exists and are real. That is the part where I say I am half Hindu on this forum because most of you do not believe the gods didn't even exist, when in fact there are many storys from the past between ~700 years that they have came prakat. I am Sikh and I bleive the gods EXISTED.

Namashkar.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Kamalaji

you seem confused, as do some of your posts, but then that is not surprising given your above statements.

Simply put, you are not a Sikh, its very simple, here is another extract that you fail miserably on

Not believing in or according any authority to Muslim seers, Brahmins holiness, soothsayers, clairvoyants, oracles, promise of an offering on the fulfillment of a wish, offering of sweet loaves or rice pudding at graves on fulfillment of wishes, the Vedas, the Shastras, the Gayatri (Hindu scriptural prayer unto the sun), the Gita, the Quran, the Bible, etc.. However, the study of the books of other faiths for general self-education is
admissible

So by your admission, you believe that these gods and goddesses existed, although you do not worship them , your beliefs are against the code of Sikhs, the SRM, you are not educating yourself, you believe they existed, sorry, but you are not a Sikh...

I have no problem with your opinions, but they are the opinions of a non Sikh, please do not try and pollute Sikhism with the very Vedic practices that the Gurus fought so hard to move away from,

Sat Sri Akal/Namashkar

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2010
Prakashji,

Out of respect I have tended to not really get involved in debate with you, however as you have so kindly contributed to this thread, I feel honour bound to reply,

Well, that would probably be the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and for clarification on interpretation, the SRM, would you not say?
Harry Hallar ji,
Thanks for your interaction.I want you should be sure about SGGS ji.
There is no such definition as given in SRM.Pl try to confirm this.
Prakash.s.Bagga

One should always respect the other faiths and philosophies
Well ,this is out of context of your reference .I have said so keeping in mind some other posts reated to this aspect.
Prakash.s.bagga

I have not shown any disrespect for any faith, I have merely said I do not believe in them any more than I believe in the tooth fairy, however, I respect all faiths and the right of anyone to follow whatever faith they choose. I am quite fond of the saying, if you are a Hindu, be a good Hindu, if you are a Muslim, be a good Muslim, and if you are a Sikh, be a good Sikh

I note that you use the phrase 'definition to Sikhs' as if you were speaking as someone who is not a Sikh, kindly explain

Well I am a Sikh but any how I am not convinced by the definition of Sikhs as given in SRM. My life is totally for SGGS ji.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Well I am a Sikh but any how I am not convinced by the definition of Sikhs as given in SRM. My life is totally for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Prakashji,

This does rather beg the question, how important is the SRM, how definitive is the SRM for Sikhs, is someone not convinced by the SRM still a Sikh?

There are many sects that totally believe in SGGS, that do not follow the SRM, that is what makes them sects and not Sikhs, which one are you Prakashji

Aug 28, 2010
Mr.Haller, there is a difference between beleiving in a goddess/god and beleiveing they existed. I do not go to mandirs and pray to the gods/goddesses, I go to the mandir to pay my respects to them. I beleive that those goddesses/gods do exists and are real. That is the part where I say I am half Hindu on this forum because most of you do not believe the gods didn't even exist, when in fact there are many storys from the past between ~700 years that they have came prakat. I am Sikh and I bleive the gods EXISTED.

Namashkar.

KAMALA Ji,
Well I am of the opinion that one should not travel on two horses at a time.This is always dangerours in every situation of life.
Sikh philosophy is quite distict as from all others and this should not be practiced in mixed way.I dont see any point in getting asserted for the existence of what has been clearly explained as different in Sikh Philosophy.
In Sikh Philosophy there is all but GuRMuKH(i) NAAMu only.Every thing what you envsage as HINDu is taken care within NAAMu only.
I think this is important for anyone to understand this aspect of Sikh Philosophy.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
Prakashji,

This does rather beg the question, how important is the SRM, how definitive is the SRM for Sikhs, is someone not convinced by the SRM still a Sikh?

There are many sects that totally believe in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, that do not follow the SRM, that is what makes them sects and not Sikhs, which one are you Prakashji

I think this I should leave for your analysis.I dont belive in any sect out of SGGS ji.This is my life.
Prakash.S.Bagga

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Kamala Bhainji

I apologise for my bluntness, however, I do feel it is important that posters state their background so that readers know where their views come from. Your views tend to be quite definitive rather than suggestive, which gives readers, especially the young, sometimes the wrong impression about Sikhi.

May I make a suggestion, change your adherent to Sanatan Sikh, and your views can then be accepted in that context. When you say "We", than the rest of us will know you are talking about the Sanatan Sikh view, ie, a view that reconciles Sikh thinking with Hinduism.

A little about Sanatan Sikhs taken from Sikhiwikki that I think you may find interesting

There are a few Sikhs, who mix Sanatani (mainstream Hindu) views with Sikh thoughts. For them, Sikhism is a part of 'Sanatan Dharma' or Hinduism. In many of present Sikh circles, these Sikhs are called Sanatanis.
It is thought that Sanatani views are a new ideology, but there is a long history of Sanatani thinking. A few of Sanatani views can be found even in Sikh books written in 18th century. 'Gur Bilas', 'Bansavalinama' and 'Mahma Prakash' are included in the list of such books. Sanatani views became more acceptable during Maharaja Ranjit Singh's rule in Punjab for various reasons.
Sanatanis should not be confused with those people, who show disrespect for Sri Guru Granth Sahib or other Sikh Gurus. In fact, Sanatanis show deep respect for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. They accept it their Guru. At the same time, they also believe in Vedas and Puranas. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has been accepted the fifth Veda.

As a Sanatan Sikh, I can debate and discuss any facet of Sikhism and Hinduism, whilst showing respect for your chosen adherent.

As a Hindu Sikh, your adherent is meaningless, confusing and ambiguous.

Whatever you are, be proud of it and stand up for your views, You will find others will respect you a lot more for it, rather than darting from one camp to the other.

Best Wishes,

Harry

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Gurfatehji

Hinduism has reincarnation, Sikhism does not
Hinduism has Karma, Sikhism does not

I'm sorry to disagree with the reincarnation and karma issue, which has been mentioned previously in other posts.

In the Guru Granth Sahib both issues are repeatedly mentioned-
A Sikh's ultimate goal is to achieve Mukti or salvation thus escaping the endless cycle of 84 lak reincarnations.

SGGS page 4

aape bhij aape hi khaahu
Nanak hukme avhu jahu
you shall harvest what you plant
says Nanak,by the hukam of gods command, we come and go in reincarnation.

SGGS page 2

Karmi avae kapra nadhri mokh duar
by the karma of past actions,the robe of this physical body is obtained,By his grace,the gate of liberation is found.

The soul transmigrates from one body or species to another until it comes in unity with God. The hukam of God and the physical aspects of the soul in a physical life form are determined by the past and previous karma.

This understanding is made quire clear throughout the SGGS.

Getting back to the question of Sikh/Hindu adherency. I feel that if a Hindu familyfor eg. has a member that becomes a sikh, then that person will obviously respect and acknowledge both faiths and vica versa.

As a Sikh, we should respect and acknowledge all of humanity- as we are all One within the One.
I don't believe that we have the right to judge the integrity of someone claiming to be a sikh/hindu and we have no right to judge them and class them or put them outside the boundaries of Sikhism feeling that they are not good enough to be a hindu or sikh..
'Ek onkaar' and God should dictate these.

Waheguru

Aug 28, 2010
Kamala Bhainji

I apologise for my bluntness, however, I do feel it is important that posters state their background so that readers know where their views come from. Your views tend to be quite definitive rather than suggestive, which gives readers, especially the young, sometimes the wrong impression about Sikhi.

May I make a suggestion, change your adherent to Sanatan Sikh, and your views can then be accepted in that context. When you say "We", than the rest of us will know you are talking about the Sanatan Sikh view, ie, a view that reconciles Sikh thinking with Hinduism.

A little about Sanatan Sikhs taken from Sikhiwikki that I think you may find interesti

There are a few Sikhs, who mix Sanatani (mainstream Hindu) views with Sikh thoughts. For them, Sikhism is a part of 'Sanatan Dharma' or Hinduism. In many of present Sikh circles, these Sikhs are called Sanatanis.
It is thought that Sanatani views are a new ideology, but there is a long history of Sanatani thinking. A few of Sanatani views can be found even in Sikh books written in 18th century. 'Gur Bilas', 'Bansavalinama' and 'Mahma Prakash' are included in the list of such books. Sanatani views became more acceptable during Maharaja Ranjit Singh's rule in Punjab for various reasons.
Sanatanis should not be confused with those people, who show disrespect for Sri Guru Granth Sahib or other Sikh Gurus. In fact, Sanatanis show deep respect for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. They accept it their Guru. At the same time, they also believe in Vedas and Puranas. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has been accepted the fifth Veda.

As a Sanatan Sikh, I can debate and discuss any facet of Sikhism and Hinduism, whilst showing respect for your chosen adherent.

As a Hindu Sikh, your adherent is meaningless, confusing and ambiguous.

Whatever you are, be proud of it and stand up for your views, You will find others will respect you a lot more for it, rather than darting from one camp to the other.

Best Wishes,

Harry

HARRY HALLAR Ji,

A Sikh can not be branded as Sanatan Sikh as SIKH is GuR SIKH only..
I feel you have not grasped the messages of the whole of SGGS ji .Once you do this I am sure your views will be different.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
HARRY HALLAR Ji,

Here is a Sabad from SGGS ji pp551 for your ready reference.

<TABLE cellSpacing=8 width="93%"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਜਲੁ ਆਪੇ ਦੇ ਛਿੰਗਾ ਆਪੇ ਚੁਲੀ ਭਰਾਵੈ

आपे जलु आपे दे छिंगा आपे चुली भरावै ॥

Āpe jal āpe ḏe cẖẖingā āpe cẖulī bẖarāvai.

He Himself is the water, He Himself gives the tooth-pick, and He Himself offers the mouthwash.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਸਦਿ ਬਹਾਲੈ ਆਪੇ ਵਿਦਾ ਕਰਾਵੈ

आपे संगति सदि बहालै आपे विदा करावै ॥

Āpe sangaṯ saḏ bahālai āpe viḏā karāvai.

He Himself calls and seats the congregation, and He Himself bids them goodbye.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕਿਰਪਾਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਤਿਸ ਨੋ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮਨਾਵੈ ॥੬॥

जिस नो किरपालु होवै हरि आपे तिस नो हुकमु मनावै ॥६॥

Jis no kirpāl hovai har āpe ṯis no hukam manāvai. ||6||

One whom the Lord Himself blesses with His Mercy - the Lord causes him to walk according to His Will. ||6||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ

सलोक मः ३ ॥

Salok mėhlā 3.

Shalok, Third Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਸਭਿ ਬੰਧਨਾ ਪਾਪ ਪੁੰਨ ਸਨਬੰਧੁ

करम धरम सभि बंधना पाप पुंन सनबंधु ॥

Karam ḏẖaram sabẖ banḏẖnā pāp punn san▫banḏẖ.

Rituals and religions are all just entanglements; bad and good are bound up with them.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਮਮਤਾ ਮੋਹੁ ਸੁ ਬੰਧਨਾ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕਲਤ੍ਰ ਸੁ ਧੰਧੁ

ममता मोहु सु बंधना पुत्र कलत्र सु धंधु ॥

Mamṯā moh so banḏẖnā puṯar kalṯar so ḏẖanḏẖ.

Those things done for the sake of children and spouse, in ego and attachment, are just more bonds.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਹ ਦੇਖਾ ਤਹ ਜੇਵਰੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾ ਸਨਬੰਧੁ

जह देखा तह जेवरी माइआ का सनबंधु ॥

Jah ḏekẖā ṯah jevrī mā▫i▫ā kā san▫banḏẖ.

Wherever I look, there I see the noose of attachment to Maya.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਵਰਤਣਿ ਵਰਤੈ ਅੰਧੁ ॥੧॥

नानक सचे नाम बिनु वरतणि वरतै अंधु ॥१॥

Nānak sacẖe nām bin varṯaṇ varṯai anḏẖ. ||1||

O Nanak, without the True Name, the world is engrossed in blind entanglements. ||1||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਮਃ

मः ४ ॥

Mėhlā 4.

Fourth Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਅੰਧੇ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਤਾ ਥੀਐ ਜਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਰਜਾਇ

अंधे चानणु ता थीऐ जा सतिगुरु मिलै रजाइ ॥

Anḏẖe cẖānaṇ ṯā thī▫ai jā saṯgur milai rajā▫e.

The blind receive the Divine Light, when they merge with the Will of the True Guru.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਬੰਧਨ ਤੋੜੈ ਸਚਿ ਵਸੈ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਅਧੇਰਾ ਜਾਇ

बंधन तोड़ै सचि वसै अगिआनु अधेरा जाइ ॥

Banḏẖan ṯoṛai sacẖ vasai agi▫ān aḏẖerā jā▫e.

They break their bonds, and dwell in Truth, and the darkness of ignorance is dispelled.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਦੇਖੈ ਤਿਸੈ ਕਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਆ ਤਨੁ ਸਾਜਿ

सभु किछु देखै तिसै का जिनि कीआ तनु साजि ॥

Sabẖ kicẖẖ ḏekẖai ṯisai kā jin kī▫ā ṯan sāj.

They see that everything belongs to the One who created and fashioned the body.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਣਿ ਕਰਤਾਰ ਕੀ ਕਰਤਾ ਰਾਖੈ ਲਾਜ ॥੨॥

नानक सरणि करतार की करता राखै लाज ॥२॥

Nānak saraṇ karṯār kī karṯā rākẖai lāj. ||2||

Nanak seeks the Sanctuary of the Creator - the Creator preserves his honor. ||2||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਪਉੜੀ

पउड़ी ॥

Pa▫oṛī.

Pauree:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਦਹੁ ਆਪੇ ਥਾਟੁ ਕੀਆ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਤੈ ਤਦਹੁ ਪੁਛਿ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਬੀਆ

जदहु आपे थाटु कीआ बहि करतै तदहु पुछि न सेवकु बीआ ॥

Jaḏahu āpe thāt kī▫ā bahi karṯai ṯaḏahu pucẖẖ na sevak bī▫ā.

When the Creator, sitting all by Himself, created the Universe, he did not consult with any of His servants;

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਤਦਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਕੋ ਲੇਵੈ ਕਿਆ ਕੋ ਦੇਵੈ ਜਾਂ ਅਵਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਕੀਆ

तदहु किआ को लेवै किआ को देवै जां अवरु न दूजा कीआ ॥

Ŧaḏahu ki▫ā ko levai ki▫ā ko ḏevai jāʼn avar na ḏūjā kī▫ā.

so what can anyone take, and what can anyone give, when He did not create any other like Himself?

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਫਿਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਜਗਤੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ਕਰਤੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਸਭਨਾ ਕਉ ਦੀਆ

फिरि आपे जगतु उपाइआ करतै दानु सभना कउ दीआ ॥

Fir āpe jagaṯ upā▫i▫ā karṯai ḏān sabẖnā ka▫o ḏī▫ā.

Then, after fashioning the world, the Creator blessed all with His blessings.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਸੇਵ ਬਣਾਈਅਨੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਆ

आपे सेव बणाईअनु गुरमुखि आपे अम्रितु पीआ ॥

Āpe sev baṇā▫ī▫an gurmukẖ āpe amriṯ pī▫ā.

He Himself instructs us in His service, and as Gurmukh, we drink in His Ambrosial Nectar.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਆਕਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੇ ਕਰੈ ਸੁ ਥੀਆ ॥੭॥

आपि निरंकार आकारु है आपे आपे करै सु थीआ ॥७॥

Āp nirankār ākār hai āpe āpe karai so thī▫ā. ||7||

He Himself is formless, and He Himself is formed; whatever He Himself does, comes to pass. ||7||

सलोक मः ३ ॥

Salok mėhlā 3.

Shalok, Third Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਸਦ ਸਾਚਾ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਸਹਜਿ ਪਿਆਰਿ

गुरमुखि प्रभु सेवहि सद साचा अनदिनु सहजि पिआरि ॥

Gurmukẖ parabẖ sevėh saḏ sācẖā an▫ḏin sahj pi▫ār.

The Gurmukhs serve God forever; night and day, they are steeped in the Love of the True Lord.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਸਦਾ ਅਨੰਦਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਗੁਣ ਸਾਚੇ ਅਰਧਿ ਉਰਧਿ ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰਿ

सदा अनंदि गावहि गुण साचे अरधि उरधि उरि धारि ॥

Saḏā anand gāvahi guṇ sācẖe araḏẖ uraḏẖ ur ḏẖār.

They are in bliss forever, singing the Glorious Praises of the True Lord; in this world and in the next, they keep Him clasped to their hearts.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮੁ ਵਸਿਆ ਧੁਰਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਕਰਤਾਰਿ

अंतरि प्रीतमु वसिआ धुरि करमु लिखिआ करतारि ॥

Anṯar parīṯam vasi▫ā ḏẖur karam likẖi▫ā karṯār.

Their Beloved dwells deep within; the Creator pre-ordained this destiny.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਆਪਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਅਨੁ ਆਪੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰਿ ॥੧॥

नानक आपि मिलाइअनु आपे किरपा धारि ॥१॥

Nānak āp milā▫i▫an āpe kirpā ḏẖār. ||1||

O Nanak, He blends them into Himself; He Himself showers His Mercy upon them. ||1||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਮਃ

मः ३ ॥

Mėhlā 3.

Third Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਕਹਿਐ ਕਥਿਐ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਸਦਾ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਇ

कहिऐ कथिऐ न पाईऐ अनदिनु रहै सदा गुण गाइ ॥

Kahi▫ai kathi▫ai na pā▫ī▫ai an▫ḏin rahai saḏā guṇ gā▫e.

By merely talking and speaking, He is not found. Night and day, sing His Glorious Praises continually.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਵਿਣੁ ਕਰਮੈ ਕਿਨੈ ਪਾਇਓ ਭਉਕਿ ਮੁਏ ਬਿਲਲਾਇ

विणु करमै किनै न पाइओ भउकि मुए बिललाइ ॥

viṇ karmai kinai na pā▫i▫o bẖa▫uk mu▫e billā▫e.

Without His Merciful Grace, no one finds Him; many have died barking and bewailing.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਭਿਜੈ ਆਪਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ

गुर कै सबदि मनु तनु भिजै आपि वसै मनि आइ ॥

Gur kai sabaḏ man ṯan bẖijai āp vasai man ā▫e.

When the mind and body are saturated with the Word of the Guru's Shabad, the Lord Himself comes to dwell in his mind.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਆਪੇ ਲਏ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥੨॥

नानक नदरी पाईऐ आपे लए मिलाइ ॥२॥

Nānak naḏrī pā▫ī▫ai āpe la▫e milā▫e. ||2||

O Nanak, by His Grace, He is found; He unites us in His Union. ||2||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਪਉੜੀ

पउड़ी ॥

Pa▫oṛī.

Pauree:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਵੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਆਪਿ ਕਥੈ ਆਪਿ ਭੀਜੈ

आपे वेद पुराण सभि सासत आपि कथै आपि भीजै ॥

Āpe veḏ purāṇ sabẖ sāsaṯ āp kathai āp bẖījai.

He Himself is the Vedas, the Puraanas and all the Shaastras; He Himself chants them, and He Himself is pleased.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਬਹਿ ਪੂਜੇ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪਿ ਪਰਪੰਚੁ ਕਰੀਜੈ

आपे ही बहि पूजे करता आपि परपंचु करीजै ॥

Āpe hī bahi pūje karṯā āp parpancẖ karījai.

He Himself sits down to worship, and He Himself creates the world.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪਿ ਪਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਆਪਿ ਨਿਰਵਿਰਤੀ ਆਪੇ ਅਕਥੁ ਕਥੀਜੈ

आपि परविरति आपि निरविरती आपे अकथु कथीजै ॥

Āp parviraṯ āp nirvirṯī āpe akath kathījai.

He Himself is a householder, and He Himself is a renunciate; He Himself utters the Unutterable.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਸਭੁ ਆਪਿ ਕਰਾਏ ਆਪਿ ਅਲਿਪਤੁ ਵਰਤੀਜੈ

आपे पुंनु सभु आपि कराए आपि अलिपतु वरतीजै ॥

Āpe punn sabẖ āp karā▫e āp alipaṯ varṯījai.

He Himself is all goodness, and He Himself causes us to act; He Himself remains detached.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਦੇਵੈ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਬਖਸ ਕਰੀਜੈ ॥੮॥
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=8 width="93%"><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਜਲੁ ਆਪੇ ਦੇ ਛਿੰਗਾ ਆਪੇ ਚੁਲੀ ਭਰਾਵੈ

आपे जलु आपे दे छिंगा आपे चुली भरावै ॥

Āpe jal āpe ḏe cẖẖingā āpe cẖulī bẖarāvai.

He Himself is the water, He Himself gives the tooth-pick, and He Himself offers the mouthwash.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਸਦਿ ਬਹਾਲੈ ਆਪੇ ਵਿਦਾ ਕਰਾਵੈ

आपे संगति सदि बहालै आपे विदा करावै ॥

Āpe sangaṯ saḏ bahālai āpe viḏā karāvai.

He Himself calls and seats the congregation, and He Himself bids them goodbye.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕਿਰਪਾਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਹਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਤਿਸ ਨੋ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮਨਾਵੈ ॥੬॥

जिस नो किरपालु होवै हरि आपे तिस नो हुकमु मनावै ॥६॥

Jis no kirpāl hovai har āpe ṯis no hukam manāvai. ||6||

One whom the Lord Himself blesses with His Mercy - the Lord causes him to walk according to His Will. ||6||

सलोक मः ३ ॥

Salok mėhlā 3.

Shalok, Third Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਸਭਿ ਬੰਧਨਾ ਪਾਪ ਪੁੰਨ ਸਨਬੰਧੁ

करम धरम सभि बंधना पाप पुंन सनबंधु ॥

Karam ḏẖaram sabẖ banḏẖnā pāp punn san▫banḏẖ.

Rituals and religions are all just entanglements; bad and good are bound up with them.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਮਮਤਾ ਮੋਹੁ ਸੁ ਬੰਧਨਾ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕਲਤ੍ਰ ਸੁ ਧੰਧੁ

ममता मोहु सु बंधना पुत्र कलत्र सु धंधु ॥

Mamṯā moh so banḏẖnā puṯar kalṯar so ḏẖanḏẖ.

Those things done for the sake of children and spouse, in ego and attachment, are just more bonds.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਹ ਦੇਖਾ ਤਹ ਜੇਵਰੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾ ਸਨਬੰਧੁ

जह देखा तह जेवरी माइआ का सनबंधु ॥

Jah ḏekẖā ṯah jevrī mā▫i▫ā kā san▫banḏẖ.

Wherever I look, there I see the noose of attachment to Maya.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੇ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਵਰਤਣਿ ਵਰਤੈ ਅੰਧੁ ॥੧॥

नानक सचे नाम बिनु वरतणि वरतै अंधु ॥१॥

Nānak sacẖe nām bin varṯaṇ varṯai anḏẖ. ||1||

O Nanak, without the True Name, the world is engrossed in blind entanglements. ||1||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਮਃ

मः ४ ॥

Mėhlā 4.

Fourth Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਅੰਧੇ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਤਾ ਥੀਐ ਜਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਰਜਾਇ

अंधे चानणु ता थीऐ जा सतिगुरु मिलै रजाइ ॥

Anḏẖe cẖānaṇ ṯā thī▫ai jā saṯgur milai rajā▫e.

The blind receive the Divine Light, when they merge with the Will of the True Guru.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਬੰਧਨ ਤੋੜੈ ਸਚਿ ਵਸੈ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਅਧੇਰਾ ਜਾਇ

बंधन तोड़ै सचि वसै अगिआनु अधेरा जाइ ॥

Banḏẖan ṯoṛai sacẖ vasai agi▫ān aḏẖerā jā▫e.

They break their bonds, and dwell in Truth, and the darkness of ignorance is dispelled.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਦੇਖੈ ਤਿਸੈ ਕਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਆ ਤਨੁ ਸਾਜਿ

सभु किछु देखै तिसै का जिनि कीआ तनु साजि ॥

Sabẖ kicẖẖ ḏekẖai ṯisai kā jin kī▫ā ṯan sāj.

They see that everything belongs to the One who created and fashioned the body.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਣਿ ਕਰਤਾਰ ਕੀ ਕਰਤਾ ਰਾਖੈ ਲਾਜ ॥੨॥

नानक सरणि करतार की करता राखै लाज ॥२॥

Nānak saraṇ karṯār kī karṯā rākẖai lāj. ||2||

Nanak seeks the Sanctuary of the Creator - the Creator preserves his honor. ||2||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਪਉੜੀ

पउड़ी ॥

Pa▫oṛī.

Pauree:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਜਦਹੁ ਆਪੇ ਥਾਟੁ ਕੀਆ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਤੈ ਤਦਹੁ ਪੁਛਿ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਬੀਆ

जदहु आपे थाटु कीआ बहि करतै तदहु पुछि न सेवकु बीआ ॥

Jaḏahu āpe thāt kī▫ā bahi karṯai ṯaḏahu pucẖẖ na sevak bī▫ā.

When the Creator, sitting all by Himself, created the Universe, he did not consult with any of His servants;

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਤਦਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਕੋ ਲੇਵੈ ਕਿਆ ਕੋ ਦੇਵੈ ਜਾਂ ਅਵਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਕੀਆ

तदहु किआ को लेवै किआ को देवै जां अवरु न दूजा कीआ ॥

Ŧaḏahu ki▫ā ko levai ki▫ā ko ḏevai jāʼn avar na ḏūjā kī▫ā.

so what can anyone take, and what can anyone give, when He did not create any other like Himself?

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਫਿਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਜਗਤੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ਕਰਤੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਸਭਨਾ ਕਉ ਦੀਆ

फिरि आपे जगतु उपाइआ करतै दानु सभना कउ दीआ ॥

Fir āpe jagaṯ upā▫i▫ā karṯai ḏān sabẖnā ka▫o ḏī▫ā.

Then, after fashioning the world, the Creator blessed all with His blessings.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਸੇਵ ਬਣਾਈਅਨੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਆ

आपे सेव बणाईअनु गुरमुखि आपे अम्रितु पीआ ॥

Āpe sev baṇā▫ī▫an gurmukẖ āpe amriṯ pī▫ā.

He Himself instructs us in His service, and as Gurmukh, we drink in His Ambrosial Nectar.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਆਕਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੇ ਕਰੈ ਸੁ ਥੀਆ ॥੭॥

आपि निरंकार आकारु है आपे आपे करै सु थीआ ॥७॥

Āp nirankār ākār hai āpe āpe karai so thī▫ā. ||7||

He Himself is formless, and He Himself is formed; whatever He Himself does, comes to pass. ||7||

सलोक मः ३ ॥

Salok mėhlā 3.

Shalok, Third Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਸਦ ਸਾਚਾ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਸਹਜਿ ਪਿਆਰਿ

गुरमुखि प्रभु सेवहि सद साचा अनदिनु सहजि पिआरि ॥

Gurmukẖ parabẖ sevėh saḏ sācẖā an▫ḏin sahj pi▫ār.

The Gurmukhs serve God forever; night and day, they are steeped in the Love of the True Lord.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਸਦਾ ਅਨੰਦਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਗੁਣ ਸਾਚੇ ਅਰਧਿ ਉਰਧਿ ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰਿ

सदा अनंदि गावहि गुण साचे अरधि उरधि उरि धारि ॥

Saḏā anand gāvahi guṇ sācẖe araḏẖ uraḏẖ ur ḏẖār.

They are in bliss forever, singing the Glorious Praises of the True Lord; in this world and in the next, they keep Him clasped to their hearts.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮੁ ਵਸਿਆ ਧੁਰਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਕਰਤਾਰਿ

अंतरि प्रीतमु वसिआ धुरि करमु लिखिआ करतारि ॥

Anṯar parīṯam vasi▫ā ḏẖur karam likẖi▫ā karṯār.

Their Beloved dwells deep within; the Creator pre-ordained this destiny.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਆਪਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਅਨੁ ਆਪੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰਿ ॥੧॥

नानक आपि मिलाइअनु आपे किरपा धारि ॥१॥

Nānak āp milā▫i▫an āpe kirpā ḏẖār. ||1||

O Nanak, He blends them into Himself; He Himself showers His Mercy upon them. ||1||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਮਃ

मः ३ ॥

Mėhlā 3.

Third Mehl:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਕਹਿਐ ਕਥਿਐ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਰਹੈ ਸਦਾ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਇ

कहिऐ कथिऐ न पाईऐ अनदिनु रहै सदा गुण गाइ ॥

Kahi▫ai kathi▫ai na pā▫ī▫ai an▫ḏin rahai saḏā guṇ gā▫e.

By merely talking and speaking, He is not found. Night and day, sing His Glorious Praises continually.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਵਿਣੁ ਕਰਮੈ ਕਿਨੈ ਪਾਇਓ ਭਉਕਿ ਮੁਏ ਬਿਲਲਾਇ

विणु करमै किनै न पाइओ भउकि मुए बिललाइ ॥

viṇ karmai kinai na pā▫i▫o bẖa▫uk mu▫e billā▫e.

Without His Merciful Grace, no one finds Him; many have died barking and bewailing.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਭਿਜੈ ਆਪਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ

गुर कै सबदि मनु तनु भिजै आपि वसै मनि आइ ॥

Gur kai sabaḏ man ṯan bẖijai āp vasai man ā▫e.

When the mind and body are saturated with the Word of the Guru's Shabad, the Lord Himself comes to dwell in his mind.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਆਪੇ ਲਏ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥੨॥

नानक नदरी पाईऐ आपे लए मिलाइ ॥२॥

Nānak naḏrī pā▫ī▫ai āpe la▫e milā▫e. ||2||

O Nanak, by His Grace, He is found; He unites us in His Union. ||2||

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਪਉੜੀ

पउड़ी ॥

Pa▫oṛī.

Pauree:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਵੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਆਪਿ ਕਥੈ ਆਪਿ ਭੀਜੈ

आपे वेद पुराण सभि सासत आपि कथै आपि भीजै ॥

Āpe veḏ purāṇ sabẖ sāsaṯ āp kathai āp bẖījai.

He Himself is the Vedas, the Puraanas and all the Shaastras; He Himself chants them, and He Himself is pleased.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਬਹਿ ਪੂਜੇ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪਿ ਪਰਪੰਚੁ ਕਰੀਜੈ

आपे ही बहि पूजे करता आपि परपंचु करीजै ॥

Āpe hī bahi pūje karṯā āp parpancẖ karījai.

He Himself sits down to worship, and He Himself creates the world.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪਿ ਪਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਆਪਿ ਨਿਰਵਿਰਤੀ ਆਪੇ ਅਕਥੁ ਕਥੀਜੈ

आपि परविरति आपि निरविरती आपे अकथु कथीजै ॥

Āp parviraṯ āp nirvirṯī āpe akath kathījai.

He Himself is a householder, and He Himself is a renunciate; He Himself utters the Unutterable.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਸਭੁ ਆਪਿ ਕਰਾਏ ਆਪਿ ਅਲਿਪਤੁ ਵਰਤੀਜੈ

आपे पुंनु सभु आपि कराए आपि अलिपतु वरतीजै ॥

Āpe punn sabẖ āp karā▫e āp alipaṯ varṯījai.

He Himself is all goodness, and He Himself causes us to act; He Himself remains detached.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>ਆਪੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਦੇਵੈ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪੇ ਬਖਸ ਕਰੀਜੈ ॥੮॥
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Now you can look into the message and think accordingly.

Prakash.S.Bagga
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM