• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

In 300 Years, Will A Sikh Wear A Kirpan Or A Lightsaber?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Well all agree that 3 feet kirpans are not practical in present world,but again the question of practicability could arises for other issue's as well
One has to find practical solutions for such as well,

If you going for MRI diagnostics you cannot have any magnetic elements on you including Kara and Kirpan.

What is very important in all this is that we don't get stuck in the literal versus the essence. This is hugely prevalent in Gurbani discussions and is also very visible in Kakkar discussions. Just like Gurbani, if you cannot get to the message you really gain very little of what Guru ji is saying.

Sat Sri Akal.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Why are we viewing Kirpan as an assault weapon? There may be 5 in a 100 times it fails as a defence weapon but what about the rest 95 times when it may save your and others' life? Kirpan is not limited for that purpose though, it gives self-confidence, establishes the separate morphological identity of the Khalsa and many more...
Many people and even governments consider the Crucifix, Kirpan etc. as symbols of violence, I wonder how'll they react to revolvers or assault guns. After all, carrying such weapons in public is definitely illegal in many parts of the world. People can be killed with mathematical compasses too, if you ban the Kirpan, why not ban them too??
peacesign

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Why are we viewing Kirpan as an assault weapon? There may be 5 in a 100 times it fails as a defence weapon but what about the rest 95 times when it may save your and others' life? Kirpan is not limited for that purpose though, it gives self-confidence, establishes the separate morphological identity of the Khalsa and many more...
Many people and even governments consider the Crucifix, Kirpan etc. as symbols of violence, I wonder how'll they react to revolvers or assault guns. After all, carrying such weapons in public is definitely illegal in many parts of the world. People can be killed with mathematical compasses too, if you ban the Kirpan, why not ban them too??
peacesign
Who is more potent in physical combat for self defense,

• A Sikh carrying un-sharpened Kirpan
  • A Karate Blackbelt Sikh
Sat Sri Akal.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
The story would have been different had Sikhism advocated only the Kirpan, but in reality, the kakaars are so tightly woven in the fabric of Sikhism that it is practically impossible to segregate them out.
Consider, a non-Sikh sporting a Kirpan, but he does not have the bliss of 'Charhdikala' and 'Nirbhau'. That does not make him much different from other people on the street. Anyone may buy the kakaars from the market, but from where will we buy the philosophy? Sikhism is a way of life, not only the metaphysical, not only the physical, but essentially the best of both.

animatedkhanda1

SinghWeapon

SPNer
Sep 4, 2011
Singh should defend himself by any means necessary. You dont bring a knife to a gunfight, and you dont bring a gun to a bomb site.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Thankyou all for your participation,the question I feel is not of the type or size of kirpan ,the question is ,is it the practice of Gurbani and faith in God that makes a Sikh fearless or the Kirpan and Rehat?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
in the 1965 war..the Paksitanis had the best American Fighter planes the F16...and India had the aging Migs....but the difference was in the PILOTS !!!

Just to correct you Gyani ji There were no F-16 in PAF and Migs were at that time were new and of latest technology but India had very few of them.Pakistan Had Sabre ,F-104 and Canberra while India was heavily relying on Gnat and Hunters which were very poor quality.and Yes Indian Pilots were superior.
Nirmaljeet singh sekhon took his 1 Gnat to take on 6 Sabre aircrafts in 1971 war
and shot down 2 of them while 4 others retreated when they attacked Srinagar airbase.

A detailed account of 1965 Aerial war

http://www.indiandefencereview.com/2007/04/IAF-defeated-PAF-in-1965-War.html

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
kds1980 ji I believe you are spot on. Thanks.

I saw aerial dog fights in Amritsar as well as some of the bombing damage near Atari just on the other side of Khalsa College Amritsar. Lot of anti-aircraft fire would light up the sky too at night.

Sat Sri Akal.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Thankyou all for your participation,the question I feel is not of the type or size of kirpan ,the question is ,is it the practice of Gurbani and faith in God that makes a Sikh fearless or the Kirpan and Rehat?

The beauty of this question lies in itself. Gurbani is a great means of personal and spiritual instruction, and the practice of Gurbani is the 'Rehat'. The five kakaars, and all the virtues to be practised are a part of the Rehat. Rehat isn't any different from Gurbani, it is the faith in Gurbani that makes the Sikh practise the Rehat.
What else thing other than faith could have motivated Bhai Subeg Singh, Bhai Shahbaz Singh, Bhai Taru Singh et al to maintain their Rehat even in the face of extreme adversities?

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Ari Ji

Gurbani is God made, the rehat you refer to is manmade.Those mighty souls were fighting against injustice and for the principle of freedom.Let us all be free Souls and practice the word of God first.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Why does it have to be a kirpan OR a lightsabre? Why not both together as one weapon?

Maybe the Kirpan handle can be engineered to be a light sabre. On one side you have the metal blade, and when activated the light sabre appears on the opposite side. You get the best of both ancient and modern. ;)

Bhagat Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Please stop giving these ideas to our modern Darth Vader- Ex- Vice President, **** Cheney and I love these astrixs. They show the real meaning.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Ari Ji

Gurbani is God made, the rehat you refer to is manmade.Those mighty souls were fighting against injustice and for the principle of freedom.Let us all be free Souls and practice the word of God first.

Sinner ji,

Guru fateh.

I beg to differ with you about the latter part of your post. Yes, Gurbani is inspired by Ik Ong Kaar and 1429 pages of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru give us the tools that show us how to live our lives in a Miri-Piri fashion, which is Rehat.

If I am not mistaken, you are confusing Rehat with Rehatnaamas which are man made indeed and should be updated with time.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Tej Ji ,Sikh never begs, even to differ ,but rehatnaamas was what I indeed meant and thanks for your participation on this thread.
Cordially
Sokhi

By 'Rehat' I meant SRM, since the post is regarding one of the kakaars. SRM is the direct result of the Sikh peoples' understanding of the Gurbani. So, even if it is manmade, it is worth following. SRM is a clear and light book, without any apparent contradictions, and is capable of governing the believers in every aspect of life. Religion is personal, Panth is a communal activity.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
I'm all for progress!

Perhaps in 300 years someone will invent a hair treatment as well so you don't require a Kanga and it will remain protected and weatherproof without the need for a turban either

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM