• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

First Trip To The Gurdwara!

seekingsikhi

Writer
SPNer
Sep 27, 2017
Houston, TX
WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA! WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH!

Sangat ji,
I went to the gurdwara for the first time last night. Not literally the first time: I've walked in to matha taykna or meditate before, but this was the first time I actually went and spent time with the sangat and sang kirtan and "did" the Ardas. (I use the quotation marks because I don't have them memorized so I didn't actually say them.)

When I first walked in there were only two people in the langar hall: one of the kirtani and Bhai Kulbir Singh. They both sort of stared at me at first with a very surprised look, but it turns out that was because their website hadn't been updated in awhile and I was very early. We spoke for a long time about how I came to Sikhi and what resources I have been using to learn on my own, etc. More people began to arrive and we all went upstairs.

Sangat ji, when rehraas sahib began it was like....almost like a warm sea breeze blowing through me. When the kirtan began, it was as though the sun was glowing inside my chest. And when SGGS passed me during sukhaasan, I felt tears welling up in my eyes. It was like coming home.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA! WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH!

Sangat ji,
I went to the gurdwara for the first time last night. Not literally the first time: I've walked in to matha taykna or meditate before, but this was the first time I actually went and spent time with the sangat and sang kirtan and "did" the Ardas. (I use the quotation marks because I don't have them memorized so I didn't actually say them.)

When I first walked in there were only two people in the langar hall: one of the kirtani and Bhai Kulbir Singh. They both sort of stared at me at first with a very surprised look, but it turns out that was because their website hadn't been updated in awhile and I was very early. We spoke for a long time about how I came to Sikhi and what resources I have been using to learn on my own, etc. More people began to arrive and we all went upstairs.

Sangat ji, when rehraas sahib began it was like....almost like a warm sea breeze blowing through me. When the kirtan began, it was as though the sun was glowing inside my chest. And when SGGS passed me during sukhaasan, I felt tears welling up in my eyes. It was like coming home.

Lol Gurdwarras were made by God's orders. They're divine and a solace to many in the khel. Theyre symbolic of your own divine temple that's within u. When u sit in a Gudwarra and listen with love, you're just going back home into the temple of the Self. You can continue this feeling throughout your life whenever and wherever u are.

I could meditate in a club when I was at university. I didn't drink or smoke and used to look around at people and see God in everything, In all the maya finding peace in the middle of the chaos.

He's ever present, so look within yourself and you'll discover that U Are the Peace.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
This is only just the beginning, you will keep going back and sangat will get to know you there. You can facilitate that by volunteering serving langar or making rotis or doing dishes etc. Then it gives you more chance to get to know others by direct interaction.

That feeling you described, if you have a chance to go to a Samagam and do Simran at Amrit vela... early hours, it’s indescribable. Some on here stay away from naam Simran as a rule as we are supposed to remember Waheguru with everything we do whenever and wherever we are. But for me there are also times when it’s quiet and there’s no outside distraction and meditation and pure concentration on Waheguru, it’s a feeling I can’t describe.

Also welcome, and I am also a convert, though I have been identifying as Sikh for about a decade now maybe more and going to Gurdwara for 8 years regularly. In that 8 years I was given the opportunity to serve the community as treasurer (1 year) and member at large (1 year) on the Gurdwara management committee - a testament to how new comers are welcome. As a gori, I was welcomed into the community with open arms to the point they trusted me enough to do this seva. I now volunteer on the fundraising committee for building fund as we need a larger gurdwara. So try to get as involved as you can as it will help you interact with others and by serving the community you will also be putting Sikhi into practice.

Keep reading and expanding knowledge. A good resource is reflections on Gurbani website as he gets deep into the philosophy in Gurbani something we tend to lose out on if we don’t know Punjabi as kathas usually done in Punjabi. Sikh Missionary College website also has lots of resources.

Holler if you have any questions!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM