• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Does Guru Granth Sahib Instruct Us To Do Jap /simran Of "har"

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
No, I am afraid it does not. ਰਸਨਾ is a taste bud. As mentioned in the earlier post where Har comes several times, it is the same message. Taste of Har, Har, Har. Nowhere does it say to parrot as you claim. Repeating one word endlessly is parroting. One can use any word to get the trance, even Lady Gaga. It does not have to be Har or Vaheguru.

Co-incidently, the meaning of Jeevat is explained succulently in the following thread today. It is a must to understand the meaning of Jeevat in order to understand the message of our visionary Gurus.
Sikhi - The Concept Of A Living Guru

Again you are misquoting me regarding parrot repetition .I have never mentioned it anywhere

Rasna according to Mahan Khosh means tongue and also taste bud relates to tongue only
upload_2018-6-7_10-37-26.png

and ਕਹਹੁ means to speak
upload_2018-6-7_10-39-30.png

ਰਸਨਾ ਕਹਹੁ meaning to speak from the tongue with full awareness and consciousness and not like parrot .

What to speak from the tongue?
HAR HAR (Parmatma )with full awareness and consciousness and not like mantra chanting like parrot , till HAR becomes part of you and you find your real self
Regards

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Again you are misquoting me regarding parrot repetition .I have never mentioned it anywhere
OK. Then what would you call repeating one word endlessly in English?

Rasna according to Mahan Khosh means tongue and also taste bud relates to tongue only
Yes, taste is related to the tongue only, just like Gurbani talks about "Gungei de Mithai."

ਰਸਨਾ ਕਹਹੁ meaning to speak from the tongue with full awareness and consciousness and not like parrot .
I beg to differ. "Full awareness and consciousness" cannot happen during parroting one word endlessly.
"Full awareness and consciousness" are realised only during self-reflection and by contemplation after studying, understanding and practicing Gurbani in everyday life. One is not conscious nor aware of anything while repeating one word but rather one is in a trance which is opposite of being aware.

ਰਸਨਾ ਕਹਹੁ means to speak about the taste of living in sync with Har.
HAR HAR (Parmatma )with full awareness and consciousness and not like mantra chanting like parrot , till HAR becomes part of you and you find your real self
When is Har not part of us? If Har weren't part of us, then Har would not be omnipresent, simply put.

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
When is Har not part of us? If Har weren't part of us, then Har would not be omnipresent, simply put.
HAR is very part of us refer Mahan Khosh and Gurbani Try to understand the meaning of HAR in Gurbani Context

It seems to me you are not comfortable with the Word ਹਰਿ and trying to relate it with other culture
Let me tell you the word ਹਰਿ is not found in any other scriptures so don't be cyinical with the word. I myself is a true Sikh just trying to understand and approach Gurbani without any Belief system.
Let me try to approach my question in another way .
According to you what does our Gurus says regarding word Waheguru as per Guru Granth Sahib and its importance in Sikhsim.

SATNAM

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
self-reflection and by contemplation after
studying, understanding and practicing Gurbani in everyday life
Again its very said you are putting false allegations regarding Parrot.That is not professionalism .Plz quote me where i meant this.Every argument i Am quoting is from Guru Granth Sahib.It is you who are playing words .

Coming back to the discussion
So is remembering God not part of Gurbani teaching?Does our Guru does not tell us to remember God?
Do you what is the instruction of our Guru gave us:

Let the Sikh get up at dawn and after bathing, meditate on the Divine Name and continue his meditation till sunrise. Then go out to earn his daily bread by honest means. Let his calling or work be such that it keeps him away from unfair and untruthful means. Let him repeat "The Name" or Gurbani while working or walking. After his day's work, let him again offer prayers before retiring for the night. The Guru seeks the dust of the feet of those who remember God's Name and who also encourage others to repeat "The Name".

To start meditation the first step is to turn inward.and ਜਪ of gods name is the easiest way .
Astapadi 1,2,3 of Sukhmani Sahib is not be studied but to be understood what Guruji is instructing us to do .Its abt Naam da Simran.

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Firstly, it is not fair on your part to delete a post that we are interacting with and especially after it has been responded to. Please undelete it.

HAR is very part of us refer Mahan Khosh and Gurbani Try to understand the meaning of HAR in Gurbani Context

It seems you do not read what you write hence look a bit confused. It is you who said that not me. Here it is,
What to speak from the tongue?

It seems to me you are not comfortable with the Word ਹਰਿ and trying to relate it with other culture
I am sorry to say I have no idea what you are talking about.

Let me tell you the word ਹਰਿ is not found in any other scriptures so don't be cyinical with the word. I myself is a true Sikh just trying to understand and approach Gurbani without any Belief system.
Are you claiming that ਹਰਿ and Hari in Hinduism are not talking about the same? No one is being cynical here and Sikhi is not a belief system.

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
Firstly, it is not fair on your part to delete a post that we are interacting with and especially after it has been responded to. Please undelete it.
No ,No ,it was duplication of one of the message thats all. Nothing is deleted

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
The fact of the matter is our first bani is JAP. Ji is just added to it and more importantly, if we cannot grasp the meaning of JAP when mentioned for the first time in the SGGS, our only Guru, then we are doing nothing but concocting our own stories.

How did you come to the conclusion of what is in the bold? Did Guru Nanak mention Nitnem anywhere?

Are you trying to say that except JAP, in the beginning, the other times when JAP is mentioned it is to parrot Har repeatedly? In other words, the first word JAP in the SGGS means nothing but all the other times when JAP is mentioned, which is quite often, is meant for us to parrot one word?

Your claim seems quite nebulous. Would you care to clarify it? Thanks.
According to you What does JAP means? Lets ponder over it

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
If the seed has not been sown,then all preparation like irrigating,ploughing and putting manure will go waste.Similarly without repetition of Gods Name all the studying and understanding will not be so much usefull .Infact whole of Gurbani is explanation of HAR. Repeating Gods name with full faith will get you supreme bliss.

ਜਾ ਕੈ ਰਿਦੈ ਬਿਸ੍ਵਾਸੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਇਆ ॥
Jaa Kai Ridhai Bisvaas Prabh Aaeiaa ||
One whose heart is filled with faith in God
ਤਤੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਤਿਸੁ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਾਇਆ ॥ Thath Giaan This Man Pragattaaeiaa ||
The essence of spiritual wisdom is revealed to his mind.

(Page285)

Repeating Gods name is not for causing God to hear.He does not need to listen.This is required to awaken ourselves. as Guruji explains

ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਅਪੁਨਾ ਸੋਇਆ ਮਨੁ ਜਾਗਾਈ ॥੨੩॥
Simar Simar Simar Gur Apunaa Soeiaa Man Jaagaaee ||23||
Remembering, remembering, remembering my Guru in meditation, my sleeping mind is awakened. ||23||

The more we wakeup the more the meaning and understanding of Gurbani will be elucidative ,other wise they are very intricate words.

Thats why we have so many narratives of Guru Granth Sahib and they have got tired and are incapable to explain the meaning even after studying and understanding Gurbani . beacuse the essence of Guru Granth Sahib i.e Remembrance of Gods Name is missing.Don,t dismiss it as mere Tota Rattan.

There is a famous quote i like to share

"Where there is just teaching,there is adoration,there is worship
Only where there is a method ,there will be transformation"

and this is what is lacking in our Sikh Religion

Regards

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
@A_seeker earlier you quoted some Gurbani that said:

ਰਾਮ ਰਸਾਇਣੁ ਨਿਤ ਉਠਿ ਪੀਵਹੁ
राम रसाइणु नित उठि पीवहु ॥
Rām rasā▫iṇ niṯ uṯẖ pīvhu.
Rise early each day, and drink in the Nectar of the Lord.​

Where can I find this Nectar to drink? It must be a literal, physical liquid to drink, just like chanting with your tongue is a literal, physical thing.

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
@A_seeker earlier you quoted some Gurbani that said:

ਰਾਮ ਰਸਾਇਣੁ ਨਿਤ ਉਠਿ ਪੀਵਹੁ
राम रसाइणु नित उठि पीवहु ॥
Rām rasā▫iṇ niṯ uṯẖ pīvhu.
Rise early each day, and drink in the Nectar of the Lord.​

Where can I find this Nectar to drink? It must be a literal, physical liquid to drink, just like chanting with your tongue is a literal, physical thing.

Chanting, Speaking is done by tongue not by ears or eyes and Chanting Gods Name through Surat Shabad is not literally a physical thing .
ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ ॥
Gaaveeai Suneeai Man Rakheeai Bhaao ||
Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

This Necatar is inside us and will be found by rising early meditate on Gods Name in Surat Shabad. why we meditate is to awaken ourselves and to make our mind pure .

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Chanting, Speaking is done by tongue not by ears or eyes and Chanting Gods Name through Surat Shabad is not literally a physical thing .
ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ ॥
Gaaveeai Suneeai Man Rakheeai Bhaao ||
Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

This Necatar is inside us and will be found by rising early meditate on Gods Name in Surat Shabad. why we meditate is to awaken ourselves and to make our mind pure .

How do you know the Nectar is not literal or physical, but Har means literally repeating a word with your tongue? If you recogise that the reference to amrit is metaphorical, why not with chanting Har?

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
but Har means literally repeating a word with your tongue?
I never said Har means literally repeating a word with your tongue and putting dumb mind aside.It is your intellect which is perceving in that sense.
Plz contemplate on this shabad posted and plz enlighten me what does it mean to say.

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਅਉਖਧੁ ਜਗਿ ਪੂਰਾ ਜਪਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੀ ॥੩॥
The Name of the Lord, Har, Har, Har, is the most perfect medicine in this world; chanting the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, I have conquered my ego. |

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I'm not sure what you're confused about, then. If you know the references aren't about literally chanting a specific word, what does it matter whether it says 'Har' or 'Waheguru' or as Tejwant Ji says, 'Lady Gaga'?

The key is that it's not talking about a literal name. It's not talking about literal chanting.

A_seeker

Writer
SPNer
Jun 6, 2018
How do you know the Nectar is not literal or physical,
You will not find Nectar of God mearly by reading ,understanding Gurbani .It has to be experienced that experience can come only through meditation/Naam Simran whatever you may like to call.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I don't think I can help you, because our fundamental understanding of Sikhi is very different. All the best to you.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM