• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Does God Exist?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Well.... Harry Ji .. appreciate your response !

Most including (myself) are not intelligent or enlightened enough like your good self to understand Gurbani easily so we take help of Sakhis. And for your kind info the Gurudwara do exist in Baghdad made by Dastgir in remembrance of Guru Nanak Sahib Ji ..... is it not a genuine Sakhi for you ?? Sant Singh Ji 'Maskeen use to tell this sakhi & now don't tell me you doubt Maskeen Ji as well ...

I accept only the word of my Guruji, and that is quite easy to find in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

If an idiot like my goodself, who speaks very little Punjabi, and reads even less, can understand the essence of Gurbani from the direct source, by comparison, for someone whose mother tongue is Punjabi, I would have thought it would be extremely easy for your goodself to come to the same conclusions.

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
This is not Sikhism, there is no heaven or hell. May I suggest you read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, not chant it, or repeat it, just read it, in a quiet room, it will provide the answers you need and seek.

how can i read guru granth sahib ji, it is in gurmukhi language,. I cant understand their meaning

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Robin, I do not know Gurmukhi, but I can read and understand Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji through one of the several great translations out there into English.

Even though I am fairly new to Sikhism and a convert, I can tell you a few things I understood from the very first day I started reading it:

1. Sikhism agrees with science on creation (at least from our viewpoint inside this reality)
There are many quotes in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that support particle physics, the measurement problem, double slit experiment etc., the relationship between conscious observer and matter, and even the newest discovery the Higgs Bosun. Just read and you will find them. They are easy to find!

2. There were no women because it does not matter... If you understand true equality, then you will know that means there does not HAVE to be a certain number of any specific group. And further to that it 'DOES NOT MATTER' because in reality all that really exists is the ONE true creator who is above gender. We are all examples of that ONE creator, and gender is only transitory.

3. All people on this planet (and the animals, and the rocks, and the plants and trees) are ALL manifested from the creator... Waheguru. Everything is ONE. Since you mentioned Higgs Bosun, you'd know at the very core of everything... look deep into subatomic level, everything looks the same. We are all the same... and all religions are paths to the same place. Religion itself however, is man made... spirituality is not. Sikhism in my opinion, is more spirituality than religion in that sense because it focuses less on useless ritual, and more on personal experience. Try meditating - Naam Simran, and you may find your answers from within yourself!

4. There is no Hell or Heaven - there is only the ONE. The concept of Heaven and Hell are human. The illusion is that we think we are separate. We are not separate. If we don't break out of the illusion, we will return here until we do. The whole point of human life I think, is to learn, experience, and love and grow spiritually and ultimately merge back with the creator and I believe that was the Creators plan all along... we are the Creator, subjectively experiencing through us (the characters) mentioned in the quote I used earlier from Pg 736:

"One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
The actor stages the play,
playing the many characters in different costumes;
but when the play ends, he takes off the costumes,
and then he is one, and only one." (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 736)

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
Thanks,,,, it will help me.. i want to be a sikh but my past fears me.,, i have done alot wrong thing in my past,.,. Moreover i have lover aswell,,. So can i still, change my religon. What about my past crime,. God will never forgive me, . Then so what ,if i be sikh..

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks,,,, it will help me.. i want to be a sikh but my past fears me.,, i have done alot wrong thing in my past,.,. Moreover i have lover aswell,,. So can i still, change my religon. What about my past crime,. God will never forgive me, . Then so what ,if i be sikh..
robinKKC veer live forward.

You may be interested in the following,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/india/39046-bhana-mitha-karke-manno.html#post170499

We all at times fall way below what we are capable of doing. However the creator does not have revenge as a modus-operandi. Yes there are consequences of doing wrong to others or self, but that is beyond our control; what has been done is done. The only thing that modifies or influences is what we do now or the future.

There is nobody who has not done wrong in the past or will not do so in the future in a small or big way. This is part of being human. The options are to either learn from or ignore the past. Dwelling on it is of little value.

Be positive and move forward and do the best in all you can.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Killing to animal fr food... Is it wrong or right in guru granth sahib?

it is up to individual choice, SGGS is more concerned with you, than what you eat

In anandpur sahib, on hola mahla,., sikh rip off goat's head and take blood in bowl.,, is it in sikhi?....

There are some branches of Sikhism that believe it to be, Nihangs for one

You have not done anything for God to forgive, however God may help you forgive yourself :)

I too have a lover, I am unwed, I am mona, I eat meat, and I had a murky past right up until age 40. I am also a Sikh.

Sikhism is not a magic club where entry is only for the good and pious, Sikhism is a way of life where you slowly integrate your life into it, and day by day, live by the will of the Guru, rather than your own will. You carry forward all that is Gurmukh. Having a lover is not a problem, provided she is not married to someone else. Sikhism is more concerned with your thoughts and actions, rather than who you sleep with or what you eat

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
Thnks,ambar.... as u know some sikh drink alcohal nd eat meat., thats mean they r not sikh? What u wanna say for them,. They just pretending to be a skh

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
.does hindu religon ever exist?,. I mean hundu holly book is true or fake,., in shiri guru granth sahib j ,hinduism is also wirtten., which mean there was shri ram ji in hindu.. But some scientist ,researcher said hindu holly book is fake, they said there was no any man who look like money(called hanuman),. if holly book is not fake,then why siri ram g never said worship to god? He never express god's figure,. (i rise this topic becuse guru talks abt hindu.)

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
This is not Sikhism, there is no heaven or hell. May I suggest you read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, not chant it, or repeat it, just read it, in a quiet room, it will provide the answers you need and seek.

u said that there is no hell nd heaven kind stuff,. But in today's hukam nama there is written that dharmraj will read our account ,nd we will be squeezed like a sesame in oil press.....

May 24, 2008
Robin Ji ,
Sikhi's extract can be summed up like this :
1. Sikhi does not believe in the concept of heaven & hell , whatever has to happen shall happen in your lifetime ONLY , no concept of after life punishment or reward . If we do not control our five vices namely Lust , Anger , Greed , Attachment & ego by practising five virtues namely Truth , Contentment , Mercy , Religion & Contemplating on Gurbani , we shall forever remain in HELL during this life . If we manage to remember the qualities of God ( Naam Simran ) as described in MOOLMANTAR as " Ik Oankaar ( There is One God for whole humanity be it Christians , Muslims , Jews , Hindus , Buddhists , Jains , Sikhs , Agnostics , Atheists etc ) , Satnaam ( He certainly Does exists ) , Karta Purakh ( He is the Creator, Sustainer , Destroyer ) , Nirbhau ( He does not fear anyone ) , Nirvair ( He has no enemies ) , Akaal Murat ( He is beyond the realm of Time ie does not grow old ) , Ajooni ( does not come in Cycles of Births & Deaths ) , Sahibhung ( He is Self Illuminated , all by Himself ) Gurparsaad ( He is achieved by the grace of True Guru / teacher , Word Teacher /Sri Guru Granth Sahib ) " , try to inculcate those qualities of Almighty God in ourselves ( be His part ) & overcome five vices then we are in perpetual Bliss ( Anand ) unending Heaven , Jiwan Mukt ( liberated while living )

2. Sikhism believes in the concept of Karma ( past deeds having effect on present life ) but it also believes that the Karma of past bad deeds of countless births can be destroyed by Almighty God in a single moment of Nadar , Mehar , Kirpa , blessing . So we Sikhs pray for his Mehar , Kirpa & ask for the blessings of Naam only , so that we get this vision that only by Contemplating on the qualities of God as described in Moolmantar ( Naam Simran ) we can be able to ward off the temptations of Maya ( illusions ) & five vices . This Naam can be bestowed on us by the blessing of God Himself guided by the word , knowledge bestowed by True Guru ie Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji .

3.The outwardly signs of Sikhi like Hair , Kirpaan 5Ks are secondary for identity & for reminding us of our duty as a Sikh only . Once we realise that we can make the best use of this only Human birth after countless (8.4 million ) births by practising Naam Simran only & living life as a part of the Bigger entity ( God ) then we can break the cycle of Countless births & deaths ( transmigration ) & merge with our original source the Supreme Lord God , then Hair or no Hair , 5Ks or no 5Ks will not bother us anymore . We shall stop putting our own ideas before the Guru's , we shall live according to his ( Guru's) Hukam , this thought of what people will say , what society will think , How will I look smart or dumb , how will I get girls will stop bothering us .

4. A Sikh should practise three pillars of Sikhism . a. Kirat Karna ( do honest labour , do not cheat , no short cuts ) . Remember Kirat comes even before naam b. Naam Simran ( Contemplate on the qualities of God as described in Moolmantar 24 hours a day ) c. Wand Chaako ( Share your earnings with less fortunates ) .

5. A Sikh should wake up at Ambrocial Hours ( Amritvela , early morning hours ) have bathe , do simran . A Sikh should eat less , speak less & sleep less .

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
u said that there is no hell nd heaven kind stuff,. But in today's hukam nama there is written that dharmraj will read our account ,nd we will be squeezed like a sesame in oil press.....

RobinKKcji

There are as many interpretations of the SGGS as there are Deras and Babas. Some may tell you to find a Guru or an elder to explain Bani to you, my own personal opinion is that this is not a great idea, all you will do is embrace anothers understanding. I think it is most important to form your own opinion and understanding myself, however, the ground rules are important.

Firstly, Who is this Dharmraj fellow you have mentioned? the relevant section states

ਅਨ ਕਾਏ ਰਾਤੜਿਆ ਵਾਟ ਦੁਹੇਲੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ अन काए रातड़िआ वाट दुहेली राम ॥ An kā▫e rāṯ▫ṛi▫ā vāt ḏuhelī rām. Why are you imbued with the love of another? That path is very dangerous.
ਪਾਪ ਕਮਾਵਦਿਆ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਬੇਲੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ पाप कमावदिआ तेरा कोइ न बेली राम ॥ Pāp kamāvḏi▫ā ṯerā ko▫e na belī rām. O sinner, no one is your friend.
ਕੋਏ ਨ ਬੇਲੀ ਹੋਇ ਤੇਰਾ ਸਦਾ ਪਛੋਤਾਵਹੇ ॥ कोए न बेली होइ तेरा सदा पछोतावहे ॥ Ko▫e na belī ho▫e ṯerā saḏā pacẖẖoṯāvhe. No one shall be your friend, and you shall forever regret your actions.
ਗੁਨ ਗੁਪਾਲ ਨ ਜਪਹਿ ਰਸਨਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਕਦਹੁ ਸੇ ਦਿਹ ਆਵਹੇ ॥ गुन गुपाल न जपहि रसना फिरि कदहु से दिह आवहे ॥ Gun gupāl na jāpėh rasnā fir kaḏahu se ḏih āvhe. You have not chanted with your tongue the Praises of the Sustainer of the World; when will these days come again?
ਤਰਵਰ ਵਿਛੁੰਨੇ ਨਹ ਪਾਤ ਜੁੜਤੇ ਜਮ ਮਗਿ ਗਉਨੁ ਇਕੇਲੀ ॥ तरवर विछुंने नह पात जुड़ते जम मगि गउनु इकेली ॥ Ŧarvar vicẖẖune nah pāṯ juṛ▫ṯe jam mag ga▫un ikelī. The leaf, separated from the branch, shall not be joined with it again; all alone, it falls on its way to death.
ਬਿਨਵੰਤ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਮ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਸਦਾ ਫਿਰਤ ਦੁਹੇਲੀ ॥੧॥ बिनवंत नानक बिनु नाम हरि के सदा फिरत दुहेली ॥१॥ Binvanṯ Nānak bin nām har ke saḏā firaṯ ḏuhelī. ||1|| Prays Nanak, without the Lord's Name, the soul wanders, forever suffering. ||1||
ਤੂੰ ਵਲਵੰਚ ਲੂਕਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਸਭ ਜਾਣੈ ਜਾਣੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ तूं वलवंच लूकि करहि सभ जाणै जाणी राम ॥ Ŧūʼn valvancẖ lūk karahi sabẖ jāṇai jāṇī rām. You are practicing deception secretly, but the Lord, the Knower, knows all.
ਲੇਖਾ ਧਰਮ ਭਇਆ ਤਿਲ ਪੀੜੇ ਘਾਣੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ लेखा धरम भइआ तिल पीड़े घाणी राम ॥ Lekẖā ḏẖaram bẖa▫i▫ā ṯil pīṛe gẖāṇī rām. When the Righteous Judge of Dharma reads your account, you shall be squeezed like a sesame seed in the oil-press.
ਕਿਰਤ ਕਮਾਣੇ ਦੁਖ ਸਹੁ ਪਰਾਣੀ ਅਨਿਕ ਜੋਨਿ ਭ੍ਰਮਾਇਆ ॥ किरत कमाणे दुख सहु पराणी अनिक जोनि भ्रमाइआ ॥ Kiraṯ kamāṇe ḏukẖ saho parāṇī anik jon bẖarmā▫i▫ā. For the actions you committed, you shall suffer the penalty; you shall be consigned to countless reincarnations.
ਮਹਾ ਮੋਹਨੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਾਤਾ ਰਤਨ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥ महा मोहनी संगि राता रतन जनमु गवाइआ ॥ Mahā mohnī sang rāṯā raṯan janam gavā▫i▫ā. Imbued with the love of Maya, the great enticer, you shall lose the jewel of this human life.

Now Sikhism , in my view, is not that concerned with what happens after death, so everything you read concerns the short life we have here on Earth. That is what should concern us, our living life.

On that basis, I find the connection with the Creator the most important thing in my daily life, I may have a big car, love for women, drink, drugs, money, power, but without that connection, I will never find happiness, peace and contentment. If in order to find these habits, I also have to deceive and lie to others, if my entire life is built on a tissue of deception, then I have nothing, I may think I have everything, but they are just pointless baubles without the connection. At some point, and I can verify this from my own experience, the whole pack of cards comes crashing down, your life, built on ego, pride, becomes worthless, everything you placed value on is worth nothing, and you see first hand the worth of your life, and it is nothing. Your own actions have judged you, and your own actions sentence you to a living hell, no money, no big car, disease, a worn, tired and damaged body, no influence, no friends, a husk of who you were, who you thought you were, yes, 'the fall' is like being squeezed through a mill, believe me, you dont have to wait till your dead to be squeezed like this, it happens right here, on earth, and you either at that point accept the value of connection, or you go right back to your old ways, and the circle starts again. If you can manage to understand what is going, you can break this cycle, you can stop the same things happening to you over and over again, by chasing the connection instead. Once you have broken this, you eventually find the peace, contentment and happiness is the connection, and once you have the connection, everything else is irrelevant.

hope that helps, my opinion only, now you need to form yours.

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
Dharma isn't a joke.. meaning that God obviously exists. Even if you believe that God doesn't exist, why not pray just incase? ;)

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
thanks to all of you,.,. its helped me,.,. thanks__ i want to read all guru's story., i mean their biography..__ and i want to read guru granth sahib ji aswell with meaning for each holly word__( sorry if i said anything wrong to your guru or i didn't respect__: but im scientist and im searching on god, with comparing all DHARM (religs)--- thnks alot again__ but on one thing im not satisfied , u said that no one created to god,. god create himself, he can't die.. he is here for long time and will remain-;- your views maybe true,. but science will not believe on it____ again thanks to all____________ god bless u

robinKKC

SPNer
Sep 1, 2012
punjab
harry haller:-
ਲੇਖਾ ਧਰਮ ਭਇਆ ਤਿਲ ਪੀੜੇ ਘਾਣੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ लेखा धरम भइआ तिल पीड़े घाणी राम ॥ Lekẖā ḏẖaram bẖa▫i▫ā ṯil pīṛe gẖāṇī rām. When the Righteous Judge of Dharma reads your account, you shall be squeezed like a sesame seed in the oil-press.____ there is written dharmraj (dharama) ,.

May 24, 2008
ਲੇਖਾ ਧਰਮ ਭਇਆ ਤਿਲ ਪੀੜੇ ਘਾਣੀ ਰਾਮ ॥ लेखा धरम भइआ तिल पीड़े घाणी राम ॥ Lekẖā ḏẖaram bẖa▫i▫ā ṯil pīṛe gẖāṇī rām. When the Righteous Judge of Dharma reads your account, you shall be squeezed like a sesame seed in the oil-press.____ there is written dharmraj (dharama) ,.

The Sikh Gurus use many metaphors like this one Dharamraj to make a human being understand the futility of chasing Maya . Sikhism believes in the concept of a soul which is separated from its source Lord God Himself due to his own will . He delibrately created this game of separating the human soul from Himself into the cycle of 8.4million ( 84 lakh jonies ) , after many jonies he/she was given human birth . In this RARE human birth do we get a chance to meet Lord God Himself never to be separated again , thus the soul rests in forever bliss . There are two situations for a human soul after death . 1. It gets liberated by getting merged in Lord God Himself . But this condition has to be achieved during this life only by following the word of the Guru & living life according to it . Nothing can be done after death , the game is over 2. The second situation is the person fails to live life according to the teachings of the Guru gets engrossed in Maya living his life by eating , drinking & making merry only principles then he has lost this chance . He gets pushed again into the cycle of 8.4 million births & deaths ( 84 lakh jonies ). Only God Himself knows when he/she shall be given this chance again .
This is why Sikhism does not believe in ghosts also because there is no free soul roaming around though the metaphors like pret , bhoot etc are used many times in Gurbani . Sikhism is such beautiful philosophy that even if you do not believe in the existence of GOD then replace the word God by NATURE even then everything falls in place perfectly , each word of Gurbani makes perfect sense even then . Though the existence of God is stressed in the word SATNAAM ( His name is truth/ He does exists ) especially for Atheists , agnostics in Moolmantar & many times during 1430 pages of Sri Guru Granth Sahib .

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

I do not agree with brother Dalbirkji, but that is not to say he is not correct.

My own opinion is that we are born and we die. The interesting bits are between birth and death, our life, and how we live it.

The endless cycles of birth and death I find Vedic, but that is mine own problem :), I find it easy to attach karmic leanings when one considers this, when I believe the truth is that we are born pure.

The squeezing takes place while you are alive, the righteous judge of Dharma is a metaphor for your own conscience.

What is being said, again in my opinion, is that to be free of guilt, shame, fear, live a life of truth and faith, follow Hukam, follow God's will, and your life will be free of squeezing.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM