• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do You Think That Sikhism Is Right/From God?

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Re: Why Do You Think That Sikhism Is Right/From God?

I asked which aspects, and you said the double split thing. Then you said that scientific evidence backs up QP. I don't understand your stance?

please see above, i am confused on your views with regards to the double split experiment.

Why would I worship those builders? Especially since I don't know who (or what) it was who came up with the design/instructions, if the builders were puppets it makes no sense to worship them. If someone had've claimed responsibility with proof, then I could consider them special.

What are you suggesting it is about the ten commandments that would make me consider them to be special?

Sorry..I thought i had stated it clearly

let me restate it a different way...you can't dismiss religion on the basis of logic if you are unwilling to dismiss Science on the basis of logic as well...the experiment we have referenced proves that QP defies logic. So be consistent in your beliefs

you have stated numerous times that one of your tests for divine origins of Scripture would be if they contained evidence of special knowledge that was ahead of their time

Many theories exist as to the construction of Stonehenge and the Pyramids but no one knows for certain. Both structures display an impressive level of knowledge of maths and astronomy well beyond that time. Surely that satisfies your requirement? If not please state why not

I think you also stated you would accept something supernatural, not necessarily a miracle as to proof of divne origins. there are many millions of devout followers who believe the tablets containing the 10 commandments were inscribed by the fiery finger of God on Mt Sinai. Surely that satisfies your requirement? If not please state why not

Thanks

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Shanger ji you are probably looking for this kind of miracle,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurmat-vichaar/34187-did-mandir-rotate-bhagat-namdev-ji.html

Literal might say what you want to hear. Probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of Hindus believe literally in that as a miracle of God for Bhagat Ramdev ji whose bani is included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. So here is proof positive to join and become a sikh. By the way I don't believe in that as a miracle or literal but more as stated spiritually in that thread.

It will be a great shame though if that line of thought is what it is going to take for you to become a sikh.

Once a sikh, as you enrich your spirituality and throw some of the action-reaction or scientifically complete explanations or asking people to basically substantiate miracles in Sikhism before accepting, you yourself will start providing spiritual answers. You will see the futility of looking for miracles. You will see the futility of looking for God's chosen messengers. In sikhism no one has shortage of God or over-abundance. The challenge is discovery and practical living that entails.

Your other questions regarding meat, 5K's and the like are per Sikh Rehat Maryada and there is lot of information in that part of SPN forums.

Sorry if the above is little direct.

Sat Sri Akal.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

Does anyone else think we have already crossed the line that divides reasonable questions about the fundamentals of Sikhi and outright insults to Sikhs, Sikhism and Sikh Gurus? I do.

Dear SPN Admin Ji

I agree

But it doesn't surprise me as we have been down similar routes before with others

Like I said earlier, if someone has already dismissed Scripture, using the same Scripture to convince them otherwise is unlikely to yield results

It boils down to a fundamental choice of believing or not believing and there is no middle ground

Our young disbelievers have plenty of time to explore in their own ways and make further choices later on

But if they come here asking for Scientific proofs or Supernatural proofs they aren't going to get them!

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!

Does anyone else think we have already crossed the line that divides reasonable questions about the fundamentals of Sikhi and outright insults to Sikhs, Sikhism and Sikh Gurus? I do.

Completely agree with you. Shanger is ignoring all the logic given such as about the things that apparently are to control people and insists on repeating such points without evidence. However, I am going to try and do the decent thing by responding to some points raised.

Before I said that I would like -
Anything that can prove something like there is a god, sikhi is connected to god etc.
I would like some amazing knowledge, for example something that no one could have possibly known at that time.
Or an explanation of how the world was made.
Or maybe an incredible prediction for the future that no one could have possibly guessed, something along those lines.

Now if we were to tell you about a miracle or future prediction you would deride it as not being logical so its a catch-22 situation!! The beauty of Sikhi is it all makes perfect sense. Belief in miracles and prophecies is not encouraged-quite the opposite as they don't make sense. There are absolutely no inconsistencies or statements that don't make sense to even non-Sikh scholars. If you are looking for a miracle then Sikhism is def not for you as Sikhism is very pragmatic. It is not about following a 'book' but it is the teachings that matter. It is the philosophy and the guidance that matters. That has withstood scrutiny time and again from various sources.

Your information about alcohol is wrong but I don't want to dwell on it. More information is here http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/31124-alcohol-as-parshad.html#post132035 as well as several other threads. You want to drink it-no problem no-one is stopping you but that does not make it right or healthy.

Your understanding of reincarnation is poor. There are several threads about it so happy reading! Here is one to get you started, make sure you read all the way through http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/9096-reincarnation-11.html#post134524. In no way is it a threat. I think spnadmin ji's analogy with the gun is more appropriate than yours.

Prayer is for ourselves, not for God. This has also been discussed previously. You are also not looking very deeply into Japji Sahib. How can I summarise here when I've said each pauri takes 1 hour discussion. If you really want to delve further and try and understand then you have a lot of studying to do-looking at 1 English translation is really not enough. Here is a starting point http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/jap-ji-sahib/34163-study-japuji-sahib-dr-karminder-singh.html

I actually find your statement about controlling people quite offensive. The Guru's gave their life for FREEDOM. They never promoted conversion or forced their beliefs on others. In fact they encouraged people to be nobel whatever path they were walking on. Several Guru's and other martyr's gave up their life so people could CHOOSE their pwn life path, so the Moghul emperor would stop converting people by force whether they were Sikh or Hindu. On what level does that show controlling behaviour? How many other people in the entire history of the world have sacrificed themselves for others (not their own followers or religion)? Very very few.

When people became Sikhs it was always of their own free will. When people sacrificed themselves for the principles of Sikhi is was of their own free will. The Moghuls were forcing people yet still people sacrificed themselves to join the Sikh army and fight repression. Before the Sikh Guru's, very few took a stand against the Moghuls. Ask the survivors of the other Sikh genocides and they will all tell you they are Sikh and risked their lives of their own free will and out of love not fear of God. The only way you are doomed by not embracing is not the wrath of God but by letting our mind and our desires control us. We miss out on the peace and serenity that spirituality offers us.

At the end of the day you choose whether you want to follow Sikh philosophy or not. You have been given a lot of good points why Sikh philosophy is inspiring. Now it is entirely your choice whether you want to explore things further for yourself or not. I have no desire to convert you so the choice is yours and yours alone. Unless you explore you will never understand :noticemunda:

Shanger

SPNer
Oct 28, 2010

Before I start replying I need to ask something which could save us time

is anyone here saying that-

1] SGGSJ is from god, there is no proof based on logic, when you read it if you are ready you will become enlightened, if you are not ready, then you will not become enlightened. It is dependent on whether god has given you the ability.

or

2] there is no evidence of god in SGGSJ because it cannot be prove, I am sikh because I have faith, and i accept that there is no logical proof.

or

3] SGGSJ is from god, there is proof of gods existence and the connection to god within.

because if it is the 1st 2 i guess there is no point continuing this discussion.

if its the last one then theres a discussion to be had.

I am just getting confused because some of you guys are in disagreement with each others, some guys say that it cannot be proven, yet others say proof of God is in SGGSJ.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Shanger ji you are so mis-placed it is not funny. Your upbringing has to be through idol worship or people as Gods, babey, sant, mahants, etc., and people as Gods's messenger and everything else being below it. I may be wrong but since you want to stay undisclosed I respect that.

Sikhism does not de-link God from people or put one person above the other in access to or presence of God. Gurbani is written by God's people and read by God's people. All these people believe in God without duress.

If you can not even understand this basic openness I don't know how you can converse with a sikh in philosophical discourse.

It appears you are pretty stuck my friend. You really need to truly open your eyes to the inclusiveness, equality and openness in Sikhism.

I really wish you unshackle yourself and go beyond "me can ask most interesting questions to put people at ill ease".

We are still hoping but I have seen no signs other than more sneekiness.

Good luck.

Sat Sri Akal.

Shanger

SPNer
Oct 28, 2010

Sikhism does not de-link God from people or put one person above the other in access to or presence of God. Gurbani is written by God's people and read by God's people.

That is a contradiction.

& yes Sikhi does, if I don't pray I will not reach salvation, someone who does pray has a better chance of reaching salvation (assuming they live a good life etc).

Shanger ji you are so mis-placed it is not funny. Your upbringing has to be through idol worship or people as Gods, babey, sant, mahants, etc., and people as Gods's messenger and everything else being below it. I may be wrong but since you want to stay undisclosed I respect that.

If you can not even understand this basic openness I don't know how you can converse with a sikh in philosophical discourse.

It appears you are pretty stuck my friend. You really need to truly open your eyes to the inclusiveness, equality and openness in Sikhism.

Translation: if you do not agree with what I say you are mis-placed and your mind is not open, you are stuck etc.

I fully understand the concept of god in sikhi, something which humans cannot comprehend, something which does not have a start or an end, etc. Above the 5 senses of humans etc.

I really wish you unshackle yourself and go beyond "me can ask most interesting questions to put people at ill ease".

We are still hoping but I have seen no signs other than more sneekiness.

Good luck.

Sat Sri Akal

Deleted a personal insult. If you are tired of the reactions of others toward you, and "they hold no weight" according to you, then why do you even bother to reply? Formal warning, long overdue. Infraction will be issued.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Shanger ji I Believe the little aggressive dialog is allowing to peel the layers of your thought process.

Let me comment on couple of things,
"That is a contradiction.

& yes Sikhi does, if I don't pray I will not reach salvation, someone who does pray has a better chance of reaching salvation (assuming they live a good life etc)."
That is a bad understanding. Praying is one small part, understanding is the biggest part. You can pray all you like you ain't going anywhere without understanding. So your logic is reversed.
"I fully understand the concept of god in sikhi, something which humans cannot comprehend, something which does not have a start or an end, etc. Above the 5 senses of humans etc."
In Sikhism we see and continuously develop our understanding and comprehension of God. This includes use of all five senses, our body including the brain. However given the vastness of God as described in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, it will be foolishness for anyone to claim complete understanding of God.
I hope the above makes sense.

Sat Sri Akal.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Basically I'm asking what reasons you have for believing in Sikhi.

I ask this because at the moment I'm reading the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, I am near the beginning and so far I have not read anything that convinces me, that could change though I have much to read.

I just want to know from people who consider themselves sikh now, what is it in GGSJ that makes you so sure that Sikhi is the true religion?

For example muslims will usually say stuff like, "the quran speaks about the stages of embyology, which was discovered much later by science proving it was from god as no one could have known it at the time" etc When trying to explain why their religion is true and from god etc.

(For the record Im not a muslim and I think their religion is heavily flawed including the parts on embryology)

I haven't been able to find much from searching around on the main arguments pro sikhism (other than moral/ethical reasons e.g. equality), maybe because in general sikhs don't try to actively convert lots of people. So I am hoping you guys can share your thoughts.

Shanger ji,

Guru Fateh.

I have read all the 88 posts and it seems that none of the respondents are clear what your true intentions,objectives, reasoning are to start this thread.

Let me ask you a few questions as you have asked many to the participants in here.

1. The title of the post,"Why Do You Think That Sikhism Is Right/From God?"

a. Define God in your own thinking for me so I can understand where you are coming from.

b. How do you differentiate between Abrahamical God, or any other God you may have in your mind?

c. What do u mean by "Right/From God?" Please elaborate with concrete examples.As you claim not to be a Muslim then your example of Islam is irrelevant as you do not believe in it.

d. Why is your faith "UNDISCLOSED"?

e. Isn't it fair that you share what your faith is before questioning things about Sikhi that you do not understand or is it insecurity on your part? if it is then why, if I may ask?

Be brave and disclose yourself so we can learn from each other. Honesty is the cornerstone of every human being who wants to breed goodness within so he/she can share with others.

So, I hope we can have an open and honest discussion for the sole purpose of learning from each other. You claim to have seen our cards yet you are hiding yours for the reasons only known to you. Put your cards on the table for all of us to see so we can play a fair hand.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand

Shanger ji,

First of all I need to remind you that my argument with you is mostly with regard to your projection of wrong intention on the part of those whose thoughts have been expressed in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. You say that their aim is to ‘control people’ which up until now I interpreted more or less as ‘influence uncalled for’, but no real thought to control. But now I see that you have suggested, although only for the sake of argument, that they could in fact have lied. This means that you really think that they did have in mind to do what you claim they did.

Why do I bother to give my own comments, after all it is none of my business? One reason is that I like to argue ;-), or rather, I like to discuss, but there is also that I’d like to get some sense into you and yes, this is based on the judgment that I am right and you are wrong! Is this trying to control you? And what if interspersed are motivations influenced by kindness, by giving and by compassion, would you still think it is manipulative?

========

Me: I still do not see why you should arrive at this conclusion. I’ve not commented so far because I’m not a Sikh and I do not believe in God, any version of it. But at no time has such a conclusion ever been necessitated, for example that Guru Nanak taught what he did with the intention to control people!?

You:
There are threats of being stuck in the cycle of reincarnation unless one complies with worshipping god, that is controlling people through fear.

I am fully aware sikhi doesn't dictate peoples lives to a large extent like other religions but that still is a method of controlling people.

C: “Threatening”, this would be with evil intention conditioned by self-love and aversion. If reincarnation is sincerely believed to be a fact and if praying to God amongst other things, is sincerely seen as being the way out, how does conveying this message to other people qualify it as a threat, especially since that person himself does the same? It is clear that *you* do not believe in the concept and may have at one point read such message as a threat, but would this not have been due to your own misreading and inherent aversion?

========
Quote Me:Below are some points you might like to consider. I do not know the facts, but it should not matter if I misrepresent and misinterpret what actually took place. Since the main point I want to make is that people are inspired and like to share their knowledge and understandings:

-Guru Nanak experienced what may be called “God-consciousness”.
-The impression was of coming to have knowledge and understanding, including a perspective regarding good and evil not seen before, which could only come from the experience of such a state.
You:
Maybe Guru Nanak did experience God-consciousness, or maybe he lied or had mental issues (no disrespect).

C: Well, isn’t the problem in that you are *insisting on the negative interpretation*? Or are you here not so much to clarify things but in fact to test other people’s intelligence?

=======
You:
The idea of good and evil was not revolutionary, there have always been ideas of what is wrong and right.
C: No one has claimed that. What is suggested are attitudes of mind and practices leading to the “development” of good and the reduction of evil. But so what even if they are not revolutionary and were taught by other people in previous times? Can’t people just share their understandings and can’t others compile these into a comprehensive set of teachings?

=======
Quote Me:-One could therefore say that the knowledge was given by God.
-There is a sense of gratitude associated with this.
-This is expressed by way of praise for the source of such knowledge, namely God.
-Sometimes this praise comes in the form of extoling God in terms of his power.
-Sometimes the praise is toward ethical qualities.
-Practices are prescribed whereby others could also have the same experience.

You:
Like I said, maybe Guru Nanak did experience God-consciousness, or maybe he lied or had mental issues (no disrespect).

C: And like I said, were you not insisting on the negative, you’d not pursue with this line of enquiry, unless of course, you are in fact testing other people’s intelligence.

=======
Quote Me:-But not everyone will be able to achieve this. For them, suggestions aimed at living a reasonably moral life have been given.

You: Well then that isn't very fair is it? That goes back to my reasoning that I could write my own book and say those who cannot feel the spirituality just cannot achieve it.

C: No, this is not a case of judging anyone in particular and condemning them. But the fact is still there, that people are *not* equal in terms of ability to understand. Indeed they are not equal in the tendency to “misunderstand”. Not everyone can be encouraged to think good and act rightly, and of those who can, not all will have the understanding to “develop” those qualities. This should not stop those who teach, from adapting in accordance to the situation having taken into account both the person’s capacity as well as his present mental state.

========
Quote Me: Do you think sharing knowledge is in fact an expression of intention to ‘control people’?

You: Expecting people to live a certain way with threats of not reaching salvation, is controlling people.

& it is not knowledge that holds any weight unless proven.

C: Again, you read it as a threat, whereas others will read it as good suggestion. Why is it? I do not believe that you have a limited capacity to discern and in principle come up with possible alternatives as to what state of mind apprehends any statement made by others. What I keep seeing however, is cynicism on your part and the insistence on any reasoning issuing forth from this.

Regarding the rightness or wrongness of the particular teaching, you insist on proof, the kind which you are used to thinking about in matters of science and other convention. For example, you may be satisfied with proofs such as that the earth revolves around the sun as given by certain fields of knowledge. But this is preferred thinking on a matter which is limited in scope. I mean, someone cynical, how far could he go in trying to argue against the fact that the earth revolves around the sun? You are dealing with limited data here and one which need not take into account states of mind, whether this is tainted by ignorance, attachment, aversion, wrong understanding or right understanding.

When it comes to such matters as karma and rebirth however, there is either right understanding or there is wrong understanding with subsequent influence from attachment, aversion, faith etc. Someone who has high tendency to wrong understanding, what “evidence” would ever satisfy him? Indeed he’d insist on the kind of evidence such as that got by science, which to begin with, is a wrong approach, but even then would he not likely talk himself out of believing any evidence given down the road? And why is this?

The reason is that this is in fact a matter of “understanding” an aspect of experience where cause and effect are mental phenomena, and this is very different from that which is derived from conventional observation. In this regard, you with the influence of science are therefore in a totally different position from someone else, particularly those in India during ancient times, for whom the idea of karma and rebirth is more or less an accepted fact. In other words, you with your doubt and they with their faith / confidence are not to be compared.

And just to let you know, these same people could well be good scientists if they were inclined to, having separated the one kind of observation and thinking from the other. Indeed they’d not look for evidence for rebirth as in someone claiming and providing evidence that they were this or that person in a previous life. This is not what arouses their confidence, but rather the understanding of mind, including distinguishing what is cause from what is result.

========
Quote Me: Would you consider generosity with regard to material objects also the same way?

You:
I'm sorry I dont understand what you mean here.

C: When the urge to help someone arises and you do it, does it impress upon you as a case of ‘control’?

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand

Shanger ji,

Quote Me:
Not eating halal meat is another rule which does not make any sense to me. One could emphasize on the wrongness of torture while understanding that meat is just meat. But again, the intention may be more to highlight cruelty, could it not?

You:
If halal meat subjects animals to torture (I think it might I'm not aware), then that is a good point. Although if animals are on the same level as plants as rocks (from Randip Singhjis article) than does it really matter considering the pain the sugar cane goes through?

C: No, ‘sentient beings’ do not include plants or bacteria, not to speak of rocks and stones. Birth, aging, sickness and death are related to the one and not to the other.

=======
Quote Me: Alcohol can sometimes be taken as medicine, but only if no other alternative exists. Otherwise it is harmful for sure. And there is never a good reason to drink it even a little, especially given that it leads to lapse in moral behavior. Besides it is habit forming and there is no telling if anyone will increase his intake. So isn’t it good advice to warn against consuming it? And why must anyone take such advice to be in fact a commandment? I don’t think it was meant to be as such.

You:
I gave the example of red wine being good for the heart, in moderation it is absolutely ok. It seems to be a commandment as it is forbidden therefore against the words of the Gurus, who you must serve to reach salvation.

C: Good for the physical heart does not mean good for the mind, so to speak. ‘Forbidden’, why can’t it be read simply as an advice? Is the problem not your own tainted perception?

=======
Quote Me: Praying is another thing I don’t believe in, for obvious reasons. But again here, can’t this be seen as a prescribed practice aimed at a particular result for the good of those who follow? And looking down on those who do not follow, must this be seen as finger pointing? Could it not be interpreted as simply showing the harm of not following the path of the good?

You: If you're suggesting pray to god (whose existence you're unsure of) so that it encourages you to be good, I say can't we be good people anyway?

C: I’m not unsure, I know, and think about it only when reading and discussing with others. There is no reason for me to conceive of the idea at all otherwise.

I wasn’t talking about the capacity for good, which people have regardless of whether they encounter any religion, but which if they do not have, religion can’t help anyway. What I was pointing to was the “development” of particular kinds of good aimed at mental purity.

Can we be good people without guidance? It depends on the capacity of each individual. But surely no one who does have that capacity and has any inkling regarding its true value, would reject any encouragement given by others, would they?

========
You:
Please see my example with the gun and money above.
It is literally showing the harm of not following the gurus direct orders to pray to god and live a certain way from my understanding.

C: No, that was your cynicism talking.

========
Quote Me: And being stuck in the cycle of existence, you may not agree with any of this. But the basic principle is that as long as there is no realization, one would be driven by states which lead to repeatedly being reborn again and again. So again, why must it be seen as an attempt to control? Why can’t it be seen as reminder about the harm of evil states?

You:
Who wants to be stuck in cycle of reincarnation? If everyone believed that there was a such thing as salvation, every sane human would wish to reach it. Therefore threats of not reaching salvation work as methods to control in my opinion.

C: So it is *not* a threat, but a good reminder in the eyes of those who *understand*. And those who teach it know that “fear” will not accomplish anything good. They were not however, required to anticipate objections from people like you who not only can’t appreciate the good intentions involved, but go on to project so much negativity into the situation.

=========
Quote Me: I wonder if you come in from a philosophy which professes that people should be allowed to learn from experience, believing that they must surely learn how to find gratification if left alone? And I wonder if you are trying to control anyone in trying to point this out. ;-)

You: I don't think I understand what you're saying, can you please reword it a little more simpler for my sake.

C: I get the impression that you believe that people have the capacity for good and would achieve fulfillment on their own anyway. This has led you to perceive religion as more or less unnecessarily coming in the way if not in fact a threat. On the other hand, although I do see harm in certain teachings, when it comes to such examples as you have given, namely advice against consumption of alcohol and the teaching on karma and rebirth, this I perceive as being in fact most necessary. The rule being that, left alone, we’d move towards ever greater tendency to ignorance and craving and this includes mistaking evil states for good and wrong understanding for right, leading to courses of action ultimately unbeneficial, but judged otherwise.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Confused ji your contribution is appreciated at the philosophical level and its relationship to day to day living and social/personal interactions.

You certainly have an "iota" of more patience than me.winkingmunda
Do you still participate in the Buddhism thread as I want to learn certain things? I had two friends who were of Buddhist heritage (I don't know their level of adherence or understanding), but they were quite different in their psyche that came across.

Before starting anything there I would study the threads already present.

Regards,

Sat Sri Akal.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

So that we are clear-

Are you saying that, you do not care if there is a god or if sikhi is connected to god, but that you only care that the Gurus were good men who taught good morals/principles led by example etc?

Anwers:

I only care that the Guru's were JUST men rather than Good men.

Question:

What do you mean by God? Are we talikng Semitic religions now? The concept of "God" in Sikhism is very different!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Shanger ji,

C: No, ‘sentient beings’ do not include plants or bacteria, not to speak of rocks and stones. Birth, aging, sickness and death are related to the one and not to the other.

Birth, aging, sickness and death are all attributes of plants!!

So got to disagree with you here totally! Every single Jain on this planet would disagree too!

Also Bani clearly places Human beings at one level and animal, plants and rocks at another level. I can furnish quotes.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand

Ambarsaria ji,

Do you still participate in the Buddhism thread as I want to learn certain things? I had two friends who were of Buddhist heritage (I don't know their level of adherence or understanding) said:
Do you mean the Buddhist discussion group that I mentioned here once?
I’ve not participated there for a while and have in fact been reading very little. But here is the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastudygroup/

One thing though, the discussions there most of the time, involve arguments with Buddhists from other understanding and for an outsider this may appear like constant battle taking place. But for some of us, it is an opportunity to sort our thoughts out if not also to try and help. No reason to be put off. However, being someone who would still not be able to differentiate who comes from which camp, if you’d like to, you could pose your questions here on SPN under the Interfaith section. I’ll try as best as I can to answer you.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand

Randip ji,

Birth, aging, sickness and death are all attributes of plants!!

So got to disagree with you here totally! Every single Jain on this planet would disagree too!

Also Bani clearly places Human beings at one level and animal, plants and rocks at another level. I can furnish quotes.

The reference to birth, aging, sickness and death is not the one we observe in the conventional world. That kind of observation involves ideas superimposed upon experiences, for example, birth is judged as being when the child comes out of the womb or else guesses are made as to which stage of a fetus might qualify for this phenomenon. In reality however, birth is a moment of consciousness arisen following death and this can’t ever be observed, but about which understanding can be developed. Sickness is mostly a matter of misbalance of the elements, which admittedly, happens in plants as well. But this idea does not apply to them because in the end this too must tie up with consciousness. Aging is related to the fact of all conditioned realities must necessarily decay immediately following its arising and before it finally falls away. This is as much the case with mental realities as it is with physical ones. Death just like birth, is the result of particular karma, so surely we can’t say that plants die, only perhaps that they decay and disintegrate?

Also according to Buddhist teachings, there is what is called the Five Cosmic Order.
1. The caloric order
2. The germinal order
3. The moral order
4. The psychical order
5. Natural phenomenal sequence.

That which we conceive of as rocks and stones follow the caloric order, not the germinal, not the moral order, nor the psychical order. Plants having no consciousness are not governed by the moral nor the psychical orders, but beside the caloric order, are also governed by the germinal order. It is this which distinguishes plants from rocks and gives us the impression that they have life not too different from animals. But this is a misunderstanding due to wrong perception and the necessarily wrong ideas that follow.

I think we will indeed have to disagree on this point. I don’t know what is actually taught in Sikh teachings, but I do have a feeling that it may turn out to agree with me rather than what you state. ;-)

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Randip ji,

The reference to birth, aging, sickness and death is not the one we observe in the conventional world. That kind of observation involves ideas superimposed upon experiences, for example, birth is judged as being when the child comes out of the womb or else guesses are made as to which stage of a fetus might qualify for this phenomenon. In reality however, birth is a moment of consciousness arisen following death and this can’t ever be observed, but about which understanding can be developed. Sickness is mostly a matter of misbalance of the elements, which admittedly, happens in plants as well. But this idea does not apply to them because in the end this too must tie up with consciousness. Aging is related to the fact of all conditioned realities must necessarily decay immediately following its arising and before it finally falls away. This is as much the case with mental realities as it is with physical ones. Death just like birth, is the result of particular karma, so surely we can’t say that plants die, only perhaps that they decay and disintegrate?

Also according to Buddhist teachings, there is what is called the Five Cosmic Order.
1. The caloric order
2. The germinal order
3. The moral order
4. The psychical order
5. Natural phenomenal sequence.

That which we conceive of as rocks and stones follow the caloric order, not the germinal, not the moral order, nor the psychical order. Plants having no consciousness are not governed by the moral nor the psychical orders, but beside the caloric order, are also governed by the germinal order. It is this which distinguishes plants from rocks and gives us the impression that they have life not too different from animals. But this is a misunderstanding due to wrong perception and the necessarily wrong ideas that follow.

I think we will indeed have to disagree on this point. I don’t know what is actually taught in Sikh teachings, but I do have a feeling that it may turn out to agree with me rather than what you state. ;-)

No the Sikh point of view totally disagrees with what you say. See "Fools Who Wrangle Over Flesh". The Hindu notion (or Vaishnav) is often confused with the Sikh notion.

As for consciousness, where does that begin or end? You play certain music to a plant it grows faster? You put an animal infront of a mirror, and it attacks it.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Can mean a number of things, creator of everything, a power who overlooks humans, something out of this realm which words can't even describe, since words are man-made and god is so much greater, an unstuck chord, that which has no start and no end etc.

Theyre similar in a lot of the ways that theyre described, formless, almighty etc.

I see differences in their perception/behaviour towards humans (I can only use those words as I am a fallible human),
e.g. allah wants apostates killed, demands worship 5 times a day etc.
sikh god = one god, there are many paths to god etc can go through other religions everyone is equal, but if you don't worship god then he will not let you reach salvation.

& of course there are some gods that are tangible like the hindu gods with multiple heads/arms etc.

As in not man-made, with no permission from God to create it.

Hmm, the actual word use at the begining of the Guru Granth Sahib is "Onkaar". Does that mean God? or are we using the nearest word we can in our Semitic vocabulary to describe a concept for which we have no precise word?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Shanger ji

You said,

By the way it is not reasonable for people to say they take offence to my accusations of the Gurus, I have given my reasons, I have not cursed or made direct insults, if I think the Gurus were tricking people, then that is what I have to say, I cannot sugar-coat it.

This is relevant. One important part of our TOS is that you may not undermine or insult the Sikh Gurus, Sri Guru Granth Sahib, or Sikhi. To curse or make direct insults is certainly not accepted here. But to persist in the various ways that you state and imply that "the Gurus were tricking people...that is what I have to say...I cannot sugar coat it." Simply not acceptable. These statements have continued numerous times in spite of being given the benefit of the doubt, and open and sincere efforts on the part of various members to understand your questions. Today you have made it quite clear.

Temporary ban for 3 days.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand

Randip ji,

No the Sikh point of view totally disagrees with what you say. See "Fools Who Wrangle Over Flesh". The Hindu notion (or Vaishnav) is often confused with the Sikh notion.

As for consciousness, where does that begin or end? You play certain music to a plant it grows faster? You put an animal infront of a mirror, and it attacks it.

The article you directed me to is quite long and I don’t like reading long articles. But I started to scan through it and after reading the part about the 84 lakh incarnations; I was stopped in my tracks when I came to the description about the sugar-cane being crushed. Since this was cited to support the particular understanding about plants being ‘sentient’, I took it literally, something I would not have done otherwise. Yes, the Sikh understanding on karma appears to be *very* different from that of the Buddhist. And suddenly I don’t feel so motivated to participate in this group anymore….

As you may know, one big reason I started to post here was to encourage people to move away from conventional ideas about cause and effect and to start thinking more in terms of karma and its results, birth and death being two instances of this. Now while I am otherwise OK working with ideas about cause and effect as observed in the conventional world as long as one realizes that it does not represent what is really going on at the ultimate level, I am having a hard time reconciling with this particular understanding about karma that you have pointed me to.

Karma according to the Buddha comes down to the mental factor of “intention”. This means that if I step on an insect accidently, there is no karma which will bring its results in the future. This allows me to live my life without feeling constricted and uptight. I can walk on grass while my thoughts are on the walking itself, or on what has been conceived of as a result of experiences through eyes and ears, or I could be thinking about other things. If some ants come within range of my perception, I can avoid stepping onto them. I don’t need to go around like the Jains do, who have a wrong understanding about killing and thus also the idea of non-killing, which then is made into an ideal resulting in strange behaviors.

But what if I started to believe that plants and rocks too are sentient beings? Would I not now hesitate to walk on grass at all, because surely I’d hurt if not altogether dislodge some of them, which in effect would be to kill them? And playing soccer, I’d need to do so only on artificial grass. Walking by the pond or river, I’d consider it cruel to step on the pebbles and won’t even think of throwing any into the river. The thought to pluck flowers or fruits as gift for someone would now demand of me that I think of another object to give. Do I also stop trimming the plants and removing the weeds?

What is the fate of farmers and workers at orchards? Are they creating conditions whereby the chance to be reborn as animals or plants or rocks increase many folds? Should I now feel sorry for them each time that I buy fruits and vegetables in the market? Should I say thank you to a tree each time that I take a rest under its shade and a flower each time I look at it and enjoy its appearance? Between marble flooring and tiles, should I choose the latter for my home? Am I in effect walking on dead bodies when I walk around in this particular room of my house?

And what if I were compelled to find justification for planting and subsequently uprooting potatoes since I come to a conclusion that I can’t avoid doing this, would this not one day lead me to do the same with regard to killing certain animals? And when I have reached this point, do I not move towards feeling justified in killing certain classes of human beings, those that are labeled “evil”?

There is a mental factor called ‘life-faculty’ which arises with every instance of consciousness. This defines ‘life’ as we know and recognize it. But there is also a material reality with the same name, which arises according to the Buddha, only in those groups of materiality which are the *result of karma*. Materiality caused by the other three factors, namely heat, nutrition and consciousness, these are deprived of this life-faculty. The particular look of the human complexion and its ‘feel’ which differentiates it from a dead body or a mannequin is one evidence of life. ‘Breath’ is conditioned by consciousness and this is what we observe in humans and animals alike. Taking in different foods and digestion them is another thing that is peculiar to sentient beings. The intention to do this and that, is what both humans and animals are always engaged in.

When this intention is driven by greed, hatred and delusion leading to certain actions, this is karma which will bring a corresponding result. The same with when it is driven by the opposites, namely non-greed, non-hatred and wisdom. It is clear that humans and animals are involved in actions all day, doing this and doing that, moving here and moving there. And when it comes to the moment of death, the last consciousness just before it, determines what plane the next birth will be in (and I’ve heard that this is taught in Sikhism as well). Could you actually say the same thing about plants and rocks? If so, what do you observe about them which make you think so? Do you think a plant could intend to hurt or to give comfort to anyone? Do you believe that when the sunflower turns its face towards the sun, that this is because it wants to? Do you think that a rock remains still because this is what it enjoys doing?

A debate would in my estimation, be unavoidable if we got into a discussion here, and I don’t want this to happen. But I do feel that I should express my thoughts and not be concerned whether people will feel offended or simply dismiss it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM