• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Dancing And Gurbani

(Read the main post first) Would you "dance" to kirtan? Explain.

• Yes...

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • No...

Votes: 35 74.5%
  • I don't listen to kirtan...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure...

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I have recently discovered that the Aarti makes me bounce up and down in my chair more than anything else. :D
look up Aarti by Bhai Amir Singh after clearing up the meaning with a translation , perhaps, and watch both your mind and body take flight. :yes:

[Actually, any artist will do...]

I don't think there is any harm in dancing to Keertan. Just the fact that the hymns of our Guru's make you feel so alive is amazing. When the vibrations of Keertan reach my inner being I find my self swaying side to side and singing along :ice:. As of yet I don't seem to have offended anyone. Everyone has their own relationship with God.Some take it very serious and some just let it be. Whatever it is must come natural and musn't be critisized. I believe encouragement and praise are very important when it comes to practicing any religion. Not dancing to Keertan won't make you understand it any better nor will it make the Almighty unhappy.The fact that you are listening and understanding is what matters,and that makes the Almighty happy.

Just my thoughts.

By this notion Guru Sahib must have been phyiscally dancing every time Bhai Mardana played, kirtan. Guru Sahibs were full of kirtan and if keertan makes you dance that would mean Guru Sahib were doing Bhangra 24/7.

Ask yourself what is really moving you the sound of the intruments or the Shabads. How come when you read the same shabad no one get's up phyiscally mid-way and starts dancing! Where is this feeling of total amazement then. If you move to the beat then you are attached to the sound and once the sound stops but Gurbani keeps being read, you stop dancing because your mind was attached to the sound of the intruments not the Shabad.

When Guru Sahib speaks of dancing with the shabad, he is saying be attuned to the shabad and become one with the shabad. He is saying live in the shabad with every breath. Contemplating over the shabad and detaching yourself from this physical body in the shabad is the True dance.

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
"When Guru Sahib speaks of dancing with the shabad, he is saying be attuned to the shabad and become one with the shabad. He is saying live in the shabad with every breath. Contemplating over the shabad and detaching yourself from this physical body in the shabad is the True dance. " - Singh ji

:wah:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
By this notion Guru Sahib must have been phyiscally dancing every time Bhai Mardana played, kirtan. Guru Sahibs were full of kirtan and if keertan makes you dance that would mean Guru Sahib were doing Bhangra 24/7.
Well, the problem with some people is that when they hear the word dance they think of Bhangra or something. If they read the first post, I have clearly mentioned that dance could be any type of body movement.
By distorting that meaning they make their point, why not make the point without distorting the meaning?

Well, the problem with some people is that when they hear the word dance they think of Bhangra or something. If they read the first post, I have clearly mentioned that dance could be any type of body movement.
By distorting that meaning they make their point, why not make the point without distorting the meaning?

Your meaning is meaningless, because I go with Gurbani:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have recently discovered that the Aarti makes me bounce up and down in my chair more than anything else. :D
look up Aarti by Bhai Amir Singh after clearing up the meaning with a translation , perhaps, and watch both your mind and body take flight. :yes:

[Actually, any artist will do...]

Bhagat ji

Does the shabad ever calm you down? :meditation: Make you feel as if you are drifting on the currents of a stream? :meditation:Induce your eyes to close slightly and have your mind wander in and out of thought, carefree within? :meditation:

That is the feeling of bliss.:meditation: Such a cozy feeling! :meditation: Do you think that dancing would ruin it? I do think it would. I am a little deprived when the kirtanis complete a raag, or when the hukamnama ends. The stillness of body and spirit is a break from the rat-race, from all the noise and rumpus of the world. :meditation:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Our organs dance 24-7. That is called the dance of life. If they stopped dancing then it would be all over.

Sayonara,adeus, Adios, Tchau.

And when they get attuned with Gurbani Keertan then they jump with all the gleefulness and joy. This is called the soul dance.

Tejwant Singh

Jan 7, 2009

Ask yourself what is really moving you the sound of the intruments or the Shabads. How come when you read the same shabad no one get's up phyiscally mid-way and starts dancing! Where is this feeling of total amazement then. If you move to the beat then you are attached to the sound and once the sound stops but Gurbani keeps being read, you stop dancing because your mind was attached to the sound of the intruments not the Shabad.

When Guru Sahib speaks of dancing with the shabad, he is saying be attuned to the shabad and become one with the shabad. He is saying live in the shabad with every breath. Contemplating over the shabad and detaching yourself from this physical body in the shabad is the True dance.

Singh Ji I understand and respect your opinion. But like I stated before one must not discourage another. Everyone has their own way of feeling and communicating with God. I never said I stood up and danced around.And even if it is the instrumental music that makes one move,never doubt that one may also be listening and feeling the actual shabad. I have my own way of enjoying Gurbani and you have yours. Neither of which is wrong.

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
"I am a little deprived when the kirtanis complete a raag, or when the hukamnama ends." - Aad ji

That was really sweet :)

:wah:

But like I stated before one must not discourage another.

There is no discouraging going on by me. Just simply asking the people that think dance to Gurbani is alright to put everything in prespective and actually think long and hard about what they are saying.

Everyone has their own way of feeling and communicating with God. I never said I stood up and danced around.And even if it is the instrumental music that makes one move,never doubt that one may also be listening and feeling the actual shabad.

I never accused you of dancing to Gurbani just asked a simple question that you didn't respond to neither did anyone else.

To get up and physically start dancing to kirtan is not gurmat. If it was then Guru Sahibs would have done it themselves when kirtan was playing. Dancing to kirtan is only dancing to the sound of the intruments. Like I said before if it wasn't then why don't people dance to Gurbani just being read. Where is the raas then. The instruments control your mind and that is what makes you dance.

If someone does dance to kirtan then its an act showing I am attached to the sound of the instrument and the Gurbani that is being sung, which puts you in a relaxed state where you don't dance, i am not fully aware of being sung. Once your fully aware of the shabad the dancing will stop and you'll feel the raas from the shabad. The rass of a shabad sung in kirtan never made the Guru Sahibs dance and they had raas from the shabad, which is unexplainable.

Singh

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Your meaning is meaningless, because I go with Gurbani:)
WOW! I bow down to your logic. Too bad I cannot bo DOWN enough to it.

Your conclusion does not follow the premise. Try again. Does gurbani say that movement of body is always bhangra? I think not.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji

Does the shabad ever calm you down? :meditation: Make you feel as if you are drifting on the currents of a stream? :meditation:Induce your eyes to close slightly and have your mind wander in and out of thought, carefree within? :meditation:

That is the feeling of bliss.:meditation: Such a cozy feeling! :meditation: Do you think that dancing would ruin it? I do think it would. I am a little deprived when the kirtanis complete a raag, or when the hukamnama ends. The stillness of body and spirit is a break from the rat-race, from all the noise and rumpus of the world. :meditation:
I go into a state of euphoria when ever I contemplate about it (Aarti). My mind becomes to happy that its hard not jumping for joy after receiving this treasure! And when its coupled with a beautiful composition, it just gets better and better.:)

Aad ji explain me your steps for meditation, I will try them.

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ
माझ महला ३ ॥
Mājẖ mėhlā 3.
Maajh, Third Mehl:
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਮਿਲਾਏ ਆਪੇ
गुरमुखि मिलै मिलाए आपे ॥
Gurmukẖ milai milā▫e āpe.
The Gurmukhs meet the Lord, and inspire others to meet Him as well.
ਕਾਲੁ ਜੋਹੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੰਤਾਪੇ
कालु न जोहै दुखु न संतापे ॥
Kāl na johai ḏukẖ na sanṯāpe.
Death does not see them, and pain does not afflict them.
ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ਬੰਧਨ ਸਭ ਤੋੜੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਹਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥
हउमै मारि बंधन सभ तोड़ै गुरमुखि सबदि सुहावणिआ ॥१॥
Ha▫umai mār banḏẖan sabẖ ṯoṛai gurmukẖ sabaḏ suhāvaṇi▫ā. ||1||
Subduing egotism, they break all their bonds; as Gurmukh, they are adorned with the Word of the Shabad. ||1||
ਹਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਜੀਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸੁਹਾਵਣਿਆ
हउ वारी जीउ वारी हरि हरि नामि सुहावणिआ ॥
Ha▫o vārī jī▫o vārī har har nām suhāvaṇi▫ā.
I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who look beautiful in the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਾਵੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਚੈ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
गुरमुखि गावै गुरमुखि नाचै हरि सेती चितु लावणिआ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Gurmukẖ gāvai gurmukẖ nācẖai har seṯī cẖiṯ lāvaṇi▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The Gurmukhs sing, the Gurmukhs dance, and focus their consciousness on the Lord. ||1||Pause||

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I have my own way of enjoying Gurbani and you have yours. Neither of which is wrong.

ਨਾਨਾ ਰੂਪ ਜਿਉ ਸ੍ਵਾਗੀ ਦਿਖਾਵੈ
नाना रूप जिउ स्वागी दिखावै ॥
Nānā rūp ji▫o savāgī ḏikẖāvai.
In various costumes, like actors, they appear.
ਜਿਉ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਿਵੈ ਨਚਾਵੈ
जिउ प्रभ भावै तिवै नचावै ॥
Ji▫o parabẖ bẖāvai ṯivai nacẖāvai.
As it pleases God, they dance.
ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋਈ ਹੋਇ
जो तिसु भावै सोई होइ ॥
Jo ṯis bẖāvai so▫ī ho▫e.
Whatever pleases Him, comes to pass.

ਨਾਨਕ ਦੂਜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਕੋਇ ॥੭॥
नानक दूजा अवरु न कोइ ॥७॥
Nānak ḏūjā avar na ko▫e. ||7||
O Nanak, there is no other at all. ||7||

Would we still be dancing if it had not pleased Him?

WOW! I bow down to your logic. Too bad I cannot bo DOWN enough to it.

Any person that considers Gurbani the highest authority will agree with me your definition of dancing is useless in this discussion.

Your conclusion does not follow the premise. Try again. Does gurbani say that movement of body is always bhangra? I think not.

This doesn't follow:

To get up and physically start dancing to kirtan is not gurmat. If it was then Guru Sahibs would have done it themselves when kirtan was playing.

If someone does dance to kirtan then its an act showing I am attached to the sound of the instrument and the Gurbani that is being sung, which puts you in a relaxed state where you don't dance, i am not fully aware of being sung. Once your fully aware of the shabad the dancing will stop and you'll feel the raas from the shabad. The rass of a shabad sung in kirtan never made the Guru Sahibs dance and they had raas from the shabad, which is unexplainable.

The reasons make perfect sense, its acceptance of the conclusion you can't grasp.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: