• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Creation In Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
He Who has created this multiform universe, and is the cause of its sustenance as well as dissolution, the Lord of the universe in whom the whole world exists, is sustained and then resolved into elementary condition, is the Supreme Spirit. Know Him, O man, to be your God and believe in no other as the Creator of the universe." Rig Veda 10: 126,8.

Why HE has been ignored by the descendents of this author (enlightened one)? Either they didn’t understand Him or this concept of God( doesn’t) didn’t suit to them; it was Islam or Sikhism that made people understand about the above said reality, the others just buried this vital idea under thousands of gods and goddesses, deities and devtas.

"Let a man therefore, gain knowledge and acquire wisdom, lead a virtuous life, bear malice to none and show all men the path that leads to true happiness." Manu 2:159

Here hypocrisy is at highest level. Manu is responsible to tear apart the harmony of human race for ever.

Sooryaa chandra-masau dhaataa
yathaa poorvam akal-payat
Divam cha prithiveem
chaanta-rik-sham atho swah.

Just as God created the sun, the earth, the moon, electricity, the atmosphere in the previous cycles, so has He done in the present and so will He do in the future." Rig Veda 10:

All say, all seen is created by Him, those who do not believe in Him also say it is self created Nature, broad minded religious enlightened ones also consider” Nature” another name of the Creator. It is not important who said first, important is who has been believing in Him

Ignorant are just marketing the religion to lure more in their category in a time of science. HE revealed the"truth" before Islam, after Islam and would reveal in the future too, science is also His gift, nothing is out of HIM. Just knowing Him may end the need of any religion( Jap Ji)

Last edited:

Dzokhar

SPNer
Nov 18, 2007
Namastay, Susriacal, Salam, Sholam, Whassup

Singhvj you are absolutly right. Why would God not tell the people that he created first (i.e the people present at the beginning) of the creation of the universe on how the universe was created. Maybe because....um...he did...

You see according to Abrahamic (Judaism, Christianity & Islam (Sikism?)) Mythology the first being to be created was Adam from whose rib was born the first female being, Eve. Now God spoke to these beings orally in a wonderful and magical place called the Garden of Eadan. Now both Adam and Eve had a strong belief in God and Yehweh would always demonstartae his power by providing for his most treasured creation, i.e us.

Now going back to your very cute analogy (well done by the way) of the universe being like a car and the holy texts of Allah being like a car manual. When you learnt to drive did you have notes on how to put the car into gear? and how to work the indicators? Maybe you had an entire chapter of notes dedicated on how to fill the wind screen wiper fluid. You see when I learnt to drive (and maybe im alone on this) I didnt need the manual because I was first taught orally i.e through word. My dad would say 'turn the wheel lil Dzokhar to make the car go round the corner' or 'Beep the horn Dzokhar to let those inconsiderate people know that you will not be stopping just because they need to cross the road'. Much like the way God 'our lord and saviour' spoke to Adam. Only years later when people began to doubt the presence of an omnipresent God who had created all they saw before them, did it seem necessary to send a reminder i.e the Torah, Bible & Quraan. And to remind his creation (who came years after Adam and Eve who has left no written testament) on how everything in existence came to be.

Now of course this is all theory based on the premises of faith and the belief of Abrahmic texts. But I think there is a lesson to be learnt from from this story.

Food for thought - Write the manual because who knows one day you or generations after you may need it.

Singhvj

SPNer
Mar 9, 2005
Ontario, Canada
"it was Islam or Sikhism that made people understand about the above said reality, the others just buries this vital idea under thousands of gods and goddesses, deities and devtas."

Vj ~ I have sad news for you, my friend. It is still buried under Guru Nanak's God and Allah.

Why not explain the gradual scientific creation of the Universe as you understand it through "Islam and the Sikh people" and also the origin of matter, the material cause of the universe?

Regards,

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Vj ~ I have sad news for you, my friend. It is still buried under Guru Nanak's God and Allah.

Hate cripples thinking of any kind of analysis in context of any religion, the words” Allah or God” are not limited to any one religion, these are just words literally used for Eternal Powerful Energy that permeates in all. That is how Guru Nanak defines Him. No concept of God of Guru Nanak exists in Sikhism. Guesses are just guesses

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Respected Forum Members

Posts pertaining to the vedas, Swami Dyanand, etc. were moved to a new thread Creation: Comparative Indic Perspectives. Thank you

Feb 21, 2007
dear azizrasul,
wahe guru ji ka khalsa
wahe guru ji ki fathe

your artical on the big bang and the creation in islam is very impressive, so i will not go into boring refutes that islam says this or that sikhism states that,
i am just gona point out what the science tells us, so please read carefully before you
reply to this.

below are three suras in the koran where the word WE has been used rather than HE as in HE the creator which implies that the writer of these suras is telling the muslims that mohamed was there with allah when the universe was created, this is an other story, lets just concentrate on the present artical, which is the creation in islam.
READ ON PLEASE

21:30)
YUSUFALI: Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?
PICKTHAL: Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe?
SHAKIR: Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth were closed up, but We have opened them; and We have made of water everything living, will they not then believe?

Our idea of the Universe changed dramatically during the 20th century. Scientist such as Harlow Shapley and Henrietta Leavitt added to our understanding but it was Edwin Hubble who discovered that there were other galaxies composed of stars like ours. He measured the distances to these galaxies and discovered that they were moving away from us. In fact, the further way the galaxy the fast it was moving. He explained these facts by saying that the Universe was expanding
If the Universe was expanding then shouldn't there have been a single point of origin? It is the current opinion of most scientist that the Universe did originate out of a single point called a singularity. If that is true, then the Universe should have been much hotter than it is now. This has been confirmed by the microwave back ground radiation.
The scientific explanation for these facts is called the Big Bang Theory and it is the dominant theory for the origin of the Universe. But did the Qur'an state this modern theory of the Big Bang 1400 years earlier?
Evolution is the modern theory for the origin of life on Earth. It directly follows on from the Big Bang and explains how simple organisms in the seas gradually, little by little, became the complex life forms that we see today. The theory was first proposed by Charles Darwin in the 19th century. But did the Qur'an state the origin of life before scientist had formullated the theory of Evolution?
From reading the above suras from the Qur'an it would appear that in the deserts of Arabia in the 7th century the Big Bang theory and the origin of life in water was given to the prophet of Islam to be later confirmed by the non-believers in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Or does it?
If it was true, it would be an extraordinary claim. So, in evaluating it we must analyze it carefully by looking at all the available evidence. Not only do we need to look at the Qur'an and modern science but we also need to look at what was know by the ancients at the time.
First, we will look at the life from water part and then the origin of the Universe.
Life from Water

The belief that life came from water predates Islam. The ancient Greeks believed that life came from water. For example, in Metaphysics, Aristotle records that Thales (62? BCE - 546 BCE) believed 'that it [the nature of things] is water' and Anaximander (611 BCE - 547 BCE) stated that life came from the sea.
One interesting thing with the above passage from the Qur'an is it clear contradiction to other passages in the Qur'an. For example:
(15:28)
YUSUFALI: Behold! thy Lord said to the angels: "I am about to create man, from sounding clay from mud moulded into shape;
PICKTHAL: And (remember) when thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am creating a mortal out of potter's clay of black mud altered,
SHAKIR: And when your Lord said to the angels: Surely I am going to create a mortal of the essence of black mud fashioned in shape.
(17:61)
YUSUFALI: Behold! We said to the angels: "Bow down unto Adam": They bowed down except Iblis: He said, "Shall I bow down to one whom Thou didst create from clay?"
PICKTHAL: And when We said unto the angels: Fall down prostrate before Adam and they fell prostrate all save Iblis, he said: Shall I fall prostrate before that which Thou hast created of clay?
SHAKIR: And when We said to the angels: Make obeisance to Adam; they made obeisance, but Iblis (did it not). He said: Shall I make obeisance to him whom Thou hast created of dust?
YUSUFALI: Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I am about to create man from clay:
PICKTHAL: When thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am about to create a mortal out of mire,
SHAKIR: When your Lord said to the angels; Surely I am going to create a mortal from dust:
Man made from clay not water? Or is man not a "living thing"?
Origin of the Universe

There are a number of different themes in primitive creation mythologies. The idea that the Heavens and Earth was once a "single block" that was "broken in two" was one of them and was commonly know in the Middle East by the 7th century (in answer to the Qur'an's rhetorical question; yes, the non-believers did know). The Egyptians, for example, believed that the god of the heavens and the Earth goddess were once one and that another god "broke" them apart.
"According to an Egyptian legend, Geb [the earth god] married his sister Nut, the sky goddess, without the permission of the powerful Sun god Re. Re was so angry at Nut and Geb that he forced their father Shu, the god of air, to separate them. That is why the Earth is divided from the sky."
"According to the Sumerians, An was the sky god and symbolized heaven. ... The wife of An was Ki, the Earth."
"... when the heavens had been separated from the earth, when the earth had been delimited from the heavens ..." [Gilgamesh, Enkidu and the nether world]
Of cause, being a mono-theistic religion, the Qur'an would not mention the pagan gods and goddess. So, removing those names you are left with the Heavens and the Earth being one and then separated; as stated in the Qur'an.
Most of these "heavens and Earth as one" mythologies involve a cosmic egg of some sort. The Qur'an does not mention the egg but the imagery is the same, that is, the heavens were broken away from the earth in the same way that a egg is broken in two. One half forms the heavens above and the second half becomes the earth below.

But then again, was the Heavens and Earth one block? Or were they first separate entities and then came together?
(40:11)
YUSUFALI: Moreover He comprehended in His design the sky, and it had been (as) smoke: He said to it and to the earth: "Come ye together, willingly or unwillingly." They said: "We do come (together), in willing obedience."
PICKTHAL: Then turned He to the heaven when it was smoke, and said unto it and unto the earth: Come both of you, willingly or loth. They said: We come, obedient.
SHAKIR: Then He directed Himself to the heaven and it is a vapor, so He said to it and to the earth: Come both, willingly or unwillingly. They both said: We come willingly.
Is the Qur'an Correct?

In some sense it is unimportant if the Qur'an is the first or if it is unique in presenting its knowledge of creation; it is more important to ask "is it correct?". As far as the current scientific theory on the evolution of life the Qur'an's (and that of the ancient Greeks and Sumerians) statement of life coming from water can be considered to be correct, but then the Qur'an contradicts itself in other suras. As for the heaven and earth being one block; no, the Qur'an is clearly in error. The earth was never part of "one block" as the heavens. The earth is just one planet, orbiting a star in this vast Universe and was formed a very long time after the "heavens".
Conclusion

There is nothing special about the Qur'an mentioning that life comes from water or that the heavens and earth were once one block. They are both things that were believed before the advent of Islam.

while we are on the subject how come allah forgot that the our planet, EARTH was round. carry on reading my friend.

(15.19)
YUSUFALI: And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.
PICKTHAL: And the earth have We spread out, and placed therein firm hills, and caused each seemly thing to grow therein.
SHAKIR: And the earth-- We have spread it forth and made in it firm mountains and caused to grow in it of every suitable thing.

Go outside, into the country away from the city lights. Find a place, like a hill, where you can look around and see the horizon. What do you see? Do you see the earth spread out? Do you see that it looks circular or disk shaped? Look over head. What do you see? Do you see a vast expanse of sky forming a dome over your head? Stay there for a day and watch the sunrise in the east. Then watch the sun travel on its way across the sky and set in the west. Stay there for the night and, if you have a clear sky, look at the stars. If you do this for a number of night you will notice that most stars stay fixed relative to each other but there are five stars that can be seen with the naked eye that wonder across the sky. These five stars are the planets Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn (together with the sun and moon we get the seven days of the week). The word "planet" means "wondered".

These observations of the heavens were made by the ancients thousands of years ago and, from these observations, they tried to reason about the world they found them selves in. They believed that the earth was a flat disk spread out because it looked like that to them. They observed the motions of the sun, moon and the planets and reason that each followed its own orbit. The ancient Greeks likened these orbits to a chariot wheel. They believed that the earth was fixed because that is how it appeared to them. The sun, moon and the planets, therefore, orbited the earth. They had there own explanations for the coming of night. The Greeks also reasoned that there were many worlds.
As time progressed the Greeks developed other ideas about the earth. They worked out that the earth was a sphere and they developed models of the solar system that had the earth orbiting other objects (such as the sun or a central fire). However, the idea of a flat earth was still dominant in the minds of many of the ordinary people in the ancient world because it fitted their observations.
What do we see if we look at the cosmology in the Koran? The Koran makes the same observations of the heavens and the earth; the earth is observed as being spread out like a carpet or a bed (15:19, 20:53, 43:10, 71:19). The Koran describes the rising and setting of the sun (36:38, 2.258) and it even has a place for the sun to set and to rise (18.86, 18.90). It describes the sun in orbit (13.2, 21.33), obeying the commands of Allah, with the sky forming a canopy (21.32, 2.22) over a fixed earth (27.61, 31.10). It describes the stars fixed on to this canopy (41.12, 67.5) (except for when they are being thrown at genies) and it considers that this canopy was once part of the earth before it was broken away (21.30).
All these observations made in the Koran are the type of observations that the ancients made long before Islam and are consistent with a flat earth view. They are the types of observations that would be expected had the Koran been of human origin because they reflect the knowledge of the time. No where in the Koran can we find anything about the earth or the other planets orbiting the sun, for example, because this was unknown to the ancients.
Conclusion.

The overwhelming view of the earth and the heavens in the Koran is consistent with the flat earth view. The Koran, therefore, is clearly in error in it's cosmology.

so there you have it, mr azizrasul that should sum up your theory of the creation in islam. if you have any more theories please do not hasitate to post them on SNP i am sure we have plenty of sewadars to answer your questions.

panth de charnaa di dhoord
tarlochan.

jeevan singh

SPNer
Apr 2, 2005
Thailand
Islam one of the most beautiful Religion. And please i am talking about religion not human. Before we sikhs says any wrong thing about other religion why doné we look at ourself...it's so easy to point finger on other but what about ourself....:hmm:
The time between Guru Gobind Singh ji and today world is only few hundred tears back, but we cut our hair drinks, smoke having relation with other so in a way we ourself is so wrong...friends where r we today, leave islan and hindu look at us how many cast we have when Guruji ( I mean all the sikh Guruji) have ended all the cast....in London as i have heard have too many Guruduwars with different cast and also in many countries same problem going on...So my friend R we really Sikh? R we really walking on Guruji road. to start with how many of us get's up at amrit vele....ok if not amrit vele how ,any of us really do japji sahib everyday....and how many of us really know the meaning of what we are reading... We sing shabad on the stage with beautiful raag but upon asking we ourself does not know the meaning of what we just sang... fRIENDS WHERE ARE WE RIGHT NOW......r we in such a stage of life that we can tell our comming children everything about sikhi? What happend if one day our children comes to us and asked MUMMY PLEASE TELL ME THE SAKHI OF GURU HAR RAI JI.... do we really have Guru Har Rai ji history with us.. How did He became the Guru what are His history? I am sure 8o% person of the readers would be confuse with these question..
Date of birth of Guru Har Rai Ji
Guru Har Rai ji childhood Sakhi
History of Guru Har Rai ji
Date whe he Became the next Guruji

I am sorry to bring the topic of Guru Har Rai ji the reason is because i myself don't know His full History amny Gaini ji also does not have full information....And all the readers please asked your heart how much do we actually know about Guru Har Rai ji... We the sikhs Being Guruji children should keep all the history of our Guruji....So let's stop finding all wrong things about other religion and look where we are worng..Let's find our own mistake first deal with ourself find the True Guruji within ourself and let's all say WE ARE PROUD TO BE A SIKH.

I am sorry if i am wrong

jeevan singh

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
S.S.akal to all.

We all are wondering wondering when it is already clearly mentioned by Guru Nanak Dev ji that no one He mean so far has born as a prophet or any Pegamber who can speak about unfinite God and His work. No one can suppose HIS name or can describeHis identity.

Tha most imoportant to keep on praising HIS creations where ever we live and love your human brothers and sisters.

Respect HIs creations or any thing created by Him. Stop hatered ,wars, just love and respect HIS creations among all your human brothers ,sisters,mothers,childerns regardless of color,origion,race,gender or any thing different than you. Then you do not have to go to any temples,chrches,mosque because you have it in your heart.

That is the end of discussion,OR continue dialogue about HIm knowingly no one knows HIS presence or existances if He is existing or not. You have to deserve to feel HIM.

Jaspi

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Jaspi Ji
You are very much right. But the problem is our survival. If the so called custodian preach hatered and wants to impose their philosphy upon us by force then whether just keep on praising Him will help us. That is why our Guru Sahiban have introduced Miri Piri.
Best Regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni
Kuwait

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Dear Mohinder ji.

Sat Sri Akal Ji.

You are absolutely right.No one can speak about the Almighty.Jap Ji Saheb Ji given to us by GURU Nanak DEV JI EXPLAINED US ALL that one can create or suppose , speak about Him, Even the Vedas or other great saint or philosopher came and search ed every where but could not find a sing of HIM.

Described beyond one's reach. That is why we have been told that by remembering Him with every one's breath and sing a songs about every thing created in universe.

Guru Nanak Dev ji came here to tell us very clearly what to do with our daily life and live in Harmony.Mullah,Priest, Bhaji,Pundit are running a organized practices and always speak about the same GOD which has Been repeated many time In Jaji Sahib that he can not be explain.We , being so Small in the universe we can not understands our selves that how you can speak about HIM. It is like rivers ,streams are talking about the Ocean which is going to leave it's own identity when emerges in to a giant ocean. Same way when our soul leaves and join HIM without should with bearing any name or cast.
This is THE reality is,once one understood says Guru Nanak Dev Ji's Hokum the there will be no ego left. It is so simple.Miri Piri was has been practiced since thousands of years when ever one brought climax to miss treat other human like demon and one has to stand for his own survival. That is the end but Al might nothing to blame because his approach to his creations never been idea to punish but love ,Says Guru Nanak Dev Ji. He even look after the small tiny creatures in the stone.Every thing we reap according to our deed as KARMA.
All human being are created with lots of empathy wired in our brain, but we alter that epmphathy against our will by manipulation by different reasons motivated with our political,religious beliefs. make the man to go for a war or to kill another human being or do something against others rights to exist.
Our purpose was to send us in this universe to love and care and appreciate your existances by HIM.Please forgive me if any word is written by me to hurts other's feelings.

Jaspi

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
We are in an age where religion is considered the root of all evils. Followers of its sacred path of wisdom cannot perceive the basis of such an accusation. Since time began and to present day, the untraveled considers his own religion to be the be end and all. And it is good for the purposes of concentrating focus upon the one creator and benefactor. Modernisation mergers of the so called enlightened invariably benefit the godless heathens to the detriments and at the expense of the pious and devoted. Whether Christian or Muslim we observe the sacrilegious exploiting the goodness and tolerance of the god natured until the god natured are depleted in moral and belief and cast into the hell of confusion. It is unjust and unfair. The new generation of the displaced hold their faith and its intrinsic values as a guiding light leading their life’s path to salvation and peace.

Conversion is frowned upon because it benefits none other than the religious hierarchy who seek primarily not to lead their following to peace and prosperity, but amass power and dominance. We witness the sons of Islam, Sikhism and Christianity sacrificed in worthless causes for the egos and glory of the meagre infidels seated at the helm, the children set against one another whilst both east and west cavort openly in affiliated destruction. We watch innocents and civilians massacred whilst neighbouring and great nations view and collude to their devastation.

This can and must be halted and stopped. Stop conversions, I have yet to observe anyone benefitting other than the insatiable whims and wants of the demands of wayward stray women, women who have disempowered mankind and remain as ardently indignant and repugnant as they were before. The ladies who suffer die gladly for their family and nations honour without beseeching to anyone, within or without. Look to your own households and accord as much right to your women as they command, deserve and earn. Championing the cause of ‘other’ women is a misnomer, and will eventually destroy the very foundation you stand upon. Let all men keep their own house in order.

With regard to Islam and all religions both major and minor, in this age of readily accessible information to hand we all learn of one another’s faiths, and are able to communicate without fear or ignorance or overt familiarity. Be in bonds of global brotherhood, religions are educational paths as well as communities. Your communities are your extended families and your world is of your fellow brotherhood of man. Respect each other’s women as you would have your own respected and leave aside matters of conversion, rendered nonsensical upon closer examination, analysis and study.

Archived_Member5

Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Again and again the doomsayers and the misinformed cite The Supreme Spirit and God as unreachable, unattainable and unintelligible. This is caused mainly because the blessed who find his truth and existence thereafter do not relate his prestigious being to others but dwell in silent bliss. To deter others from a spiritual path with such pessimism is unfair and misinformed. The seekers write of his presence ineffable love and absolute truth. They gain a sensory perception of a higher presence calling to such sacred and pious souls to near to the light. It is a calling from above. It is not gained, as ignorant atheists insist by the production of evidence. Finding love peace and absolute truth, the meaning of life is to find our sole source and creator. The mean minded jealously guard this sacred truth, and stifle, distort and destroy its spirit and truth in doing so. The ascetic and transcendental souls protect it from desecration and exploitation, in the knowledge that the fourth dimension is the age of Kalyug where evil rises to destroy the sanctity and faith of humanity reducing it to unthinking, fearful, cocooned zombies. The Supreme Spirit exists as is evidenced in the presence and goodness of each of his loved and precious souls. It is a fragile and tendered spirit and as easily quashed as it is roused. There is a difference between ineffable profoundness and inaccessible complexity. It is the difference between heaven and hell. ‘’Nanak, dukya sab sansar,’’ why is the world suffering, because it is cast into faithless confusion, division, hatemongering and battling. ...

Archived_Member5

Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Man’s life cycle is a reflection of the universal cycle of life. The truth is in evidence about us, but mankind has not eyes to see. The truth is within and without and is rare found until ones level; of intellectual and emotional maturity is sufficiently arisen to the required dimension of God consciousness and perspective. The Quran and The Gita both contain all scientific data man requires to find his way back to his origin. Communication format and variances in language deter some, the religious, whether Hindu, Islamic, Christian or Sikh fail or cannot fathom the great and profound truths contained within their daily recitation of the ancient mantra’s Scientifically a question arises. By this understanding ‘What is Truth’. Definitives vary within the confines of a particular discussion or mindset. What does man seeks to gain, acquire, accomplish in his lifetime, what do leaders seek for their nations. The best productive and most organised and efficient nations are Islamic excepting Sweden. All have a strong moral foundation upon which is built a cohesive society, one in mind, heart and spirit. Rich in spirituality and economically these nations decry and oppose in their management all that is elevated and publicised in the equally affluent but socially diverse west.

We learn by this observance that a society essentially is required to be on one purpose and moral goal. Diversity for the sake of individuality and free will creates mayhem and chaos, conflict and misery. This unbalanced society renowned to be wealthy and free, is upon closer examination in greater distress and want, in deeper confusion and neglect spiritually, economically and of faith that h poorest nations. It seems to benefit the corrupt and immoral powers at large to perpetuate the profitable cycle of supply and demand to oppress their civilians in chaos, confusion and disease of only to maintain employment in sectors catering for the generated want and desires of demand. It is undeniably evil.

shearwater

SPNer
Apr 3, 2008
I believe that sects of Christianity that are scientifically tuned to current understandings, such as Hugh Ross, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California; ( Reasons To Believe: Hugh Ross, Fazale Rana, Kenneth Samples, David Rogstad, Jeff Zweerink )cite a beginning approximately 13 billion years ago when a particle of infinite mass and about the size of a proton, suddenly burst forth into a universe of infinite measure in all directions. Christians would refer to this as an ex nihilo event where something is created from nothing. In time the gases from that initial explosion condensed into planets, stars and a multitude of things which cannot be counted and 4.5 billion years ago, the earth was formed. Echos of the "Big Bang" are seen in the universe today in what is known as the red shift. In any case, the earth's age determined by radiometric analysis is about 4.5 billion years old based on analysis of the oldest rocks found on earth. Those who believe in evolution credit stromatalites with the first living creatues of plant matter that built up a sizeable amount of oxygen which was used by bacteria to evolve into other species and ultimately to man himself. Christians believe that God created man as recorded in Genesis, each animal after its own kind. Some Christians are litteral enough to believe that man is not older than about 6000 years on the earth. This is based on a biblical chronology developed by a Catholic Bishop by the name of Usher. Others believe that man's tenure on earth existed in perhaps a hundred thousand years, more or less. In any case, our examination of the verity of things is built on what has come to be known among Christians as the Wesleyan Quadrilateral. It bases truth on four things: reason, experience, tradition, and Holy Scriptures. Anything which does not square with all four cannot be trusted as truth. For Christians, the Bible trumps the other three.

shearwater

SPNer
Apr 3, 2008
aad002 -

We have to distinguish between those who self identify as Christians and those who self-identify but also have the behaviors and discipleship to Jesus Christ, which is a requisite to being a "true disciple or Christian." Jesus said that those who were followers of him would purify themselves even as he is pure. So we have a person who is an apprentice, following Jesus very carefully and exhibiting the Christian fruits of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, endurance, brotherly kindness, and selfless love. Here we believe is the true believer and the one who is also a Christian indeed. Jesus said, "If you continue in my words, then are you my disciples indeed."

One thing I have noticed about sikhs is their love to help and lift the poor. That is a behavior that is not distinctively Christian per se. And to that person who has such care for his brother or sister, I say, "God bless you in the warmest loving way possible."

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
shearwater ji

What would you say if you heard of a Christian religion where the theory of evolution was the official doctrine?

shearwater

SPNer
Apr 3, 2008
Christians believe that God works through our minds rationally and well as through our hearts emotions. As one scripture teaches, "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." The two must converge in order to be valid. God is totally transcendent but, according to the Bible, when Jesus died on the cross, he broke the wall of separation between us and God and we are now able to approach him through the righteousness and holiness of Jesus Christ. Those who do not believe that Jesus was God in the flesh, cannot say that. Since I am a scientist, I believe in the scientific method to a degree. But often God works outside science to perform his works. Those instances could be called miracles because they transcend human reason and are not subject to the scientific method.

I believe that Muslims believe that it is blasphemy to say that we can have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Namaste:
I am not a Christian but my family is and have much experience with them. I think I would question any religion who had science as one of its pillars.

Satyaban

The theory of evolution is the officially sanctioned doctrine of evolution of the Roman Catholic Church. Not a pillar of the religion but the understanding of that religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: