• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Can We Ever See Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I would concede that is happiness, but REAL happiness?

Good morning H...

Apologies for an error made in spelling "Immortality of the soul" and not Immorality of the soul when I last replied.

Real happiness is what all religions and non-religions attempt to define. Likewise, Sikhism too defines real happiness as a state of being, but questions what is "reality"? Guru Teg Bahadhur Ji on page 1427 of SGGSJ dismisses physical existence as no more than a dream and that true happiness is else where [God Consciousness].

Things that we can touch have no permanence [perishable]. There is nothing in the physical world which we can take with us, so why hold on [Sikh thought] ? Our primary purpose is to look away from perishable objects only then can we see the imperishable [real, meaning God].

Sikhism considers that happiness of the mind is dependent upon situation and circumstance and is therefore transitory, whereas, happiness of the soul is in Union with God.

Have a good day !

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Good morning H...

Real happiness is what all religions and non-religions attempt to define. Likewise, Sikhism too defines real happiness as a state of being, but questions what is "reality"? Guru Teg Bahadhur Ji on page 1427 of SGGSJ dismisses physical existence as no more than a dream and that true happiness is else where [God Consciousness].

Guru Fateh Original ji,

Would you be kind enough to post the whole shabad with your personal understanding rather than the literal translations which are quite often misleading? And, also please express the Shabad in the context of this wonderful thread that yourself and Harry are interacting on.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

PS: The same applies to everyone and one more request, please do the same to all the one liners you have posted because one liners are, as they call in the comedic circles,"Punch Lines".

Last edited:

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Guru Fateh Original ji,

Would you be kind enough to post the whole shabad with your personal understanding rather than the literal translations which are quite often misleading? And, also please express the Shabad in the context of this wonderful thread that yourself and Harry are interacting on.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

PS: The same applies to everyone and one more request, please do the same to all the one liners you have posted because one liners are, as they call in the comedic circles,"Punch Lines".

Respected Tejwant Singh Ji

I'm sorry for having erred translating literature and misleading you - please forgive. Can you be more specific so that I'm able to reflect and respond ? Thank you !

The wisdom of Waheguru is such that it has brought us to connect with Gurbani through this [SPN] medium. None of us are perfect, mistakes and human errors will occur hence the reason to learn via this medium. Kindly correct us where we err.

As for the shabd in question : ਜਿਉ ਸੁਪਨਾ ਅਰੁ ਪੇਖਨਾ ਐਸੇ ਜਗ ਕਉ ਜਾਨਿ ॥ ਇਨ ਮੈ ਕਛੁ ਸਾਚੋ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੨੩॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1427}.

I think Guru Teg Bahadhur Ji's intention is pretty clear in what they're saying and as such, my understanding is what I've said in my earlier text this morning.

Much obliged

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
He left his physical form some 500 yrs back but his soul still and essence , the guru that he was still resides in the Guru Granth sahib . Seek answers from SGGS and he answers !

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
He left his physical form some 500 yrs back but his soul still and essence , the guru that he was still resides in the Guru Granth sahib . Seek answers from SGGS and he answers !

<disclaimer> only works if you are after a new job, car, bigger house, better looking partner, more money, Not to be used in the event of any life being in danger or possibility of gang rape!, terms and conditions apply, previous actions in previous lives may make you ineligible.

Actually you could have that as a catchy phrase, maybe it could be printed just where you make your financial offering?

Seek answers from SGGS and he answers!

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
<disclaimer> only works if you are after a new job, car, bigger house, better looking partner, more money, Not to be used in the event of any life being in danger or possibility of gang rape!, terms and conditions apply, previous actions in previous lives may make you ineligible.

Actually you could have that as a catchy phrase, maybe it could be printed just where you make your financial offering?

Seek answers from SGGS and he answers!

In spiritual domain, whenever there's a conflict of opinion, its better to leave the discussion there itself !
I quit . You're great , you're correct , happy now ? :)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
In spiritual domain, whenever there's a conflict of opinion, its better to leave the discussion there itself !
I quit . You're great , you're correct , happy now ? :)

there is no conflict of opinion, if you are unable to defend yours, or explain them, then quit making them on a public forum, find some likeminded souls, lock yourself in a room, and create your spiritual domain to your hearts content.

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
I have my freedom of making this on a public forum.
If you can make your own "DIY atheistic no-sikhi inside" flavor of sikhism , then I sure can quote Sri Guru Granth sahib ji and Guru Gobind Singh ji's bani :)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I have my freedom of making this on a public forum.
If you can make your own "DIY atheistic no-sikhi inside" flavor of sikhism , then I sure can quote Sri Guru Granth sahib ji and Guru Gobind Singh ji's bani :)

I am happy to stand behind everything I write, if you want that freedom, back up what you are writing, its that simple

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
I am happy to stand behind everything I write, if you want that freedom, back up what you are writing, its that simple

I don't have to back up anything. What I have said so far on this thread is agreed upon universally by almost all sikhs and is part of Guru sahibs teachings ! you on the other hand have a bizarre version of "sikhi"(??) I have never seen so far.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I don't have to back up anything. What I have said so far on this thread is agreed upon universally by almost all sikhs and is part of Guru sahibs teachings ! you on the other hand have a bizarre version of "sikhi"(??) I have never seen so far.

if it is that universally agreed, why are you unable to back it up? do you not agree that one should be able to back up ones statements?

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
if it is that universally agreed, why are you unable to back it up? do you not agree that one should be able to back up ones statements?

are you unable to understand english ? I told you go read SGGS yourself or pick a translation .

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=srigranth

Besides I am not interested in getting in an argument with you. I don't care if you think I am not having anything to back up anything or whatever ! PEACE OUT !

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
Notanotherloginplease Ji...

Guru Nanak ji and the others who followed HIM...has stressed time and again 1429 pages of SGGS that the PHYSICAL DEH is of ZERO VALUE...its simply a VEHICLE to meet the Creator.Period.
All fall into the pitfall of "looking" for the SATGUR..physically darshan etc..when its VICHAAR that enables us to "SEE" HIM. Ample Shabads in SGGS clear this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

NO..I dont think its possible to ever see Guru Nanak ji or anyone else for that matter....and just for argument sake...MOOT question is HOW are YOU GOING TO "recognise" the person you think is Guru Nanak..Guru Arjun..Guru Gobind Singh or Baba Banda Singh or Baba Deep Singh ??? Do we have a DNA Sample to compare with just in case many "GN" lay claim to being the REAL Guru nanak JI ?? Be aware that the Popular paintings of Artist Sobha Singh are based on REAL LIFE HUMANS he came across in his life time..the one he based the most popular Guru gobind Sing Painting was a Farmer in Gurdaspur who apssed away some time ago !!!

Guru nanak Jis Gurbani states clearly..NO ONE KNOWS FROM WHENCE WE CAME..and NO ONE Has ever RETURNED back form the Cemetery/Grave/Cremation Grounds EVER..NOT a single one to tell us about the other side !!! When my dad passed on..I was just getting into learning the finer points about Gurbani form him..and I missed his vast encyclopaedic knowledge base so much that...For 20 years I yearned so much to see my dad just once..that I did an ardass daily promising that I would Give ANYTHING..a leg or an arm even..just to have my Daddy back with me for just a MINUTE..the Ardass was never answered..and I became WISER !!!...Now He has been REPLACED by GOOGLE SEARCH !!! Also... I have not come across anyone else whose wish has been fulfilled by the dead returning.....so its CHURNING WATER.

Guru Nanak ji and the others who followed HIM...has stressed time and again 1429 pages of SGGS that the PHYSICAL DEH is of ZERO VALUE...its simply a VEHICLE to meet the Creator.Period. Giani jee you mention up to page 1429. what about page 1430. is it not part of sggs or sikh faith?

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
Thanks Gyani Ji.

It was an eye opener. and yeah, I had the same question that it would be way harder to recognize him. Even DNA samples wont be able to confirm identity.

I feel sad when I see people around me considering pictures of artist's impression about Gurus as Gods. Well, He will take care of them also.

Sorry again, another question just struck: Then Is it OK to see Guru Granth Sahib ji as living Guru?(Considering it a book of teachings)

- i will post it as a new forum question .looking forward for your reply.Thanks
giani jee sorry to bother u. s s a , by the way what is sabad guru or shabad guru

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM