• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Bihar Chief Minister Refuses To Cover Head In Gurdwara, Irks Sikh Community

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar has stoked a controversy after he refused to cover his barehead inside a gurudwara on Thursday evening. Nitish had gone to Bal Leela Gurudwara to inaugurate a six-storied rest house. Nitish was accorded a grand reception by the Sikh community at his visit to the gurudwara but when the chief minister was requested to cover his head before entering the gurudwara premises, which is a strict protocol in the Sikh community, Nitish flatly refused to oblige citing poor health as a reason. Nitish entered the premises without his head covered.

The Gurudwara Parbandhak Committee after the visit of Nitish had expressed its anger at the incident claiming that Bihar CM had disrespected their "Guru". Sardar Charanjeet Singh, general secretary, Takht Sri Harmandir Sahib Ji Gurudwara Committee said, "Whoever comes to gurudwara has to cover his head. Nitish should have covered his head. When he was asked to cover his head, Nitish said that he was unwell and could not cover his head. He,therefore, hurriedly inaugurated the rest house and left. It's a violation of the Sikh community protocol."

The opposition too got enough ammunition to criticise Nitish for his act. The BJP slammed him questioning his secular credentials. The party said that since Sikh community did not form a major chunk of Nitish's vote bank in Bihar, he therefore did not care about hurting sentiments of Sikh community. Senior BJP leader Giriraj Singh, speaking to Headlines Today-Aaj Tak, said that had it been an event of the Muslims, Nitish would have very easily wore a skull cap. Charging Nitish of doublespeaking on issue of secularism,Singh demanded an unconditional apology from Nitish for his act.

Singh said,"Nitish is a person of dual character. He attacked Narendra Modi at one point of time saying that leaders have to don a topi and tilak at the same time. At mosques he has no aversion in wearing a skull cap and clicking pictures with Muslims but at gurudwara he did not cover his head despite Sikh leaders asking him to do so. He is feigning secularism. Had Sikh been 15 percent in Bihar he would have no problem in covering his head. Nitish is doing all drama. Nitish should apologise to Sikh community."

Sikh community in Patna city area has claimed that the act of Nitish was in complete violation of the protocol and protested in the area on Friday.

(Source: http://www.indiatoday.intoday.in/st...gurudwara-angers-sikh-community/1/333269.html)

Attachments

• nitish.jpg
    nitish.jpg
    32.1 KB · Reads: 316

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
He may have been genuinely unwell; did he actually go into the Gurdwara or was he just opening a separate building? In which case the circumstances may be that he didn't cover his head because he didn't even go inside because he was unwell hence opening the building and leaving quickly.

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
He may have been genuinely unwell; did he actually go into the Gurdwara or was he just opening a separate building? In which case the circumstances may be that he didn't cover his head because he didn't even go inside because he was unwell hence opening the building and leaving quickly.

I mean still if he wanted to give respect to the Sikhs and their Guru he would of definitely cover his head even if he was like right near the gurdwara which I'm pretty sure they were. He showed respect at the Mosque from what I heard but not at the gurdwara. To me that sounds fishy. Whats more pathetic is his excuses haha.

Oct 21, 2009
India
I mean still if he wanted to give respect to the Sikhs and their Guru he would of definitely cover his head even if he was like right near the gurdwara which I'm pretty sure they were. He showed respect at the Mosque from what I heard but not at the gurdwara. To me that sounds fishy. Whats more pathetic is his excuses haha.

This is called as 'Vote Politics'. Sikhs votes are too small in Bihar to attract the attention of the Politician who are generally big head.

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009

He didnt enter inside the Gurdwara Sahib where the Guru Sahib's parkash was there. Its just a residential complex where he went.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
He didnt enter inside the Gurdwara Sahib where the Guru Sahib's parkash was there. Its just a residential complex where he went.

The six-storied Rest House, where the CM went, is a part of the Gurdwara Complex and therefore he was bound to respect the Sikh Religious sentiments.

It is his arrogance not to comply with the Sikh protocol that is a must for every one, how-so-ever-much he is highly placed.
I will call it an uncivilized attitude towards others.

I remember an incident connected with our National Flag, when in place of a Ashoka Chakra there was a spinning wheel in the center of the flag and the State Visit of Edward the VIII, King Emperor in 1936.
When he arrived at the Bombay Airport he had to walk on muddy ground till the airport building. The officers laid carpets, wooden planks and such other materials that were available but that could not cover the entire way to the building. Someone brought the Indian National flag and put it on the wet ground so that the Emperor could reach without a blemish.
But the King Emperor was a civilized person. He side-stepped before reaching the Indian Flag and walked on the wet ground.
Our Bihar Chief Minister, Nitish Kumar, should learn some basic rules to adjust himself in society.

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
The six-storied Rest House, where the CM went, is a part of the Gurdwara Complex and therefore he was bound to respect the Sikh Religious sentiments.

It is his arrogance not to comply with the Sikh protocol that is a must for every one, how-so-ever-much he is highly placed.
I will call it an uncivilized attitude towards others.

I remember an incident connected with our National Flag, when in place of a Ashoka Chakra there was a spinning wheel in the center of the flag and the State Visit of Edward the VIII, King Emperor in 1936.
When he arrived at the Bombay Airport he had to walk on muddy ground till the airport building. The officers laid carpets, wooden planks and such other materials that were available but that could not cover the entire way to the building. Someone brought the Indian National flag and put it on the wet ground so that the Emperor could reach without a blemish.
But the King Emperor was a civilized person. He side-stepped before reaching the Indian Flag and walked on the wet ground.
Our Bihar Chief Minister, Nitish Kumar, should learn some basic rules to adjust himself in society.

Sorry Sir. You dont have correct information on basic rules.
Even, all the rest houses (Sraan) in the Darbar Sahib, Amritsar complex does not have any such rules. Being outside the main Gurdwara, covering of head is not compulsery. Covering of head is required only when one enters the main Gurdwara Sahib or the langar hall and not outside in any sraan / residential buildings or parkings.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Sorry Sir. You dont have correct information on basic rules.
Even, all the rest houses (Sraan) in the Darbar Sahib, Amritsar complex does not have any such rules. Being outside the main Gurdwara, covering of head is not compulsery. Covering of head is required only when one enters the main Gurdwara Sahib or the langar hall and not outside in any sraan / residential buildings or parkings.

I don't want to start a controversy on the issue of covering (or otherwise) ones head in a Saran which forms a part of the Gurdwara Complex.
Let us take the issue of ' The Members of Gurdwara Management Committee requested the Chief Minister to cover his head as (i) he was in the Gurdwara Complex and (ii) at the Inauguration Function of the Rest House (Saran) the Sikh Prayer (Ardass) was to be performed.
It is the arrogance of the CM in rejecting the request of the Sikhs gathered there who were honourable Members of the Sikh community and the Members of the Gurdwara Management Committee. His action was Impudent, that you will agree on account of " he was to be a part of the Ardass Prayer".

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
I don't want to start a controversy on the issue of covering (or otherwise) ones head in a Saran which forms a part of the Gurdwara Complex.
Let us take the issue of ' The Members of Gurdwara Management Committee requested the Chief Minister to cover his head as (i) he was in the Gurdwara Complex and (ii) at the Inauguration Function of the Rest House (Saran) the Sikh Prayer (Ardass) was to be performed.
It is the arrogance of the CM in rejecting the request of the Sikhs gathered there who were honourable Members of the Sikh community and the Members of the Gurdwara Management Committee. His action was Impudent, that you will agree on account of " he was to be a part of the Ardass Prayer".

I fully agree with you on this aspect. When an ARdaas is to be conducted, he should have covered his head. But my point is entirely different. Except the holy place where SGGS jee is there, it requires an outmost respect in form of covering of head etc. but not outside.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
I fully agree with you on this aspect. When an ARdaas is to be conducted, he should have covered his head. But my point is entirely different. Except the holy place where Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji jee is there, it requires an outmost respect in form of covering of head etc. but not outside.

The main issue here was that the Assembled Sikhs had requested the CM to cover his head and the arrogance he had shown to the community. At inauguration an Ardass was to be performed and he should have covered his head at the request made to him by the Gurdwara Management Committee.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM