• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Baingan Bharta: Eggplant & Other Sabzi Recipes From Manjula's Kitchen

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I'm on the hunt for a good sabji recipe I can make to go with my other dishes. At Gurdwara we often have one that has lots of veggies in it and it's quite spicy but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for on the bew - I suspect I'm not using the right search words. The ones I like seem to have peas and cabbage in them, and eggplant? I'm not sure, but the time it gets onto my plate some things are tricky to recognise haha

Meantime I think this one from Manjula sounds de-lish!

Baingan Bharta (eggplant)

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2009/10/09/baingan-bharta-eggplant/

Baingan Bharta (Eggplant Curry) Recipe by Manjula - YouTube

Attachments

• Baingan_Bharta.jpg
    Baingan_Bharta.jpg
    28.7 KB · Reads: 596
Last edited by a moderator:

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Okay, here's my attempt of Baingan Bharta! I took the picture under my rangehood light so all the colours are washed out but IRL it's much redder. However, it's also more watery-looking than Manjula's so next time I'll cook off the tomatos a bit more. I needed a bigger eggplant! But it still tasted awesome, and I didn't get hing all over my kitchen this time! :D

What I learned: When cooking an eggplant in the microwave, poke some holes in the skin first or else you'll poop yourself when it goes BANG! LOL

http://postimg.org/image/72g51740j/

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It looks BEAUTIFUL... as good as any on Google images. I plan to change the pic in the spotlight to use that one!

What a great night for warm and lovely events here! What a forum should be! Like a conversation that brings a diary of our days together... thanks to you!

p/s Too , you know, you have to pierce the eggplant if you use a regular oven too! That helps drain the moisture.

Pic has been changed to the dish prepared by Ishna ji

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM