• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Average Jatt Sikh Male Height 5' 7"

hsaluja

SPNer
Jun 6, 2010
Re: Average Jatt Sikh Male Height - 5' 7"

I think people who have used the term in past be the best to answer this one. But I only know this one, that it is a tumorous thing in punjab. I was there in patiala for my engineering for 4 yrs and saw the ugly situation there, but promised my self to never differentiate.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

I think one of the biggest myths ever spread was that all Jatts are big and bad.

Yes they do have a military tradition, but as a proportion of the Sikh population (in temrs of what their caste numbers were). Labana, Khatri, Tarkhan, Ramdasia, Ravidasia etc actually joined the military from the Sikh community in far higher numbers.

Overall Jatt Sikhs represented Sikhs in the army in higher numbers because they are the most Sikhs i.e. 55%. For example Labana Sikhs are about 5% of Sikhs. Now if 30% of all Jatt Sikhs join the Army and 60% of all Labana Sikhs join the army (as they did), Jatt Sikh would still out number them.

Those that beat their chests about how brave their castes are should ask themselves, why don't their non-Sikh memebers join the Army in such high numbers (this applies to Jatts too).?

As for being fair and tall, this is a myth. As someone stated above, Khatri Sikhs, Rajput Sikhs and even Tarkhan Sikhs are far more light skinned.

Sep 27, 2008
England

I went to a Ravidasia wedding last year and in my honest opinion nearly all were very light skinned. As for height i would say the average was 5"9. I dont quiet know how some castes come to the assumptions that their's is better regarding looks, height and how tough they are. I would agree with Randip Singh Ji"s post. Regarding nutrition yes it certainly plays a big role.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Yes they do have a military tradition, but as a proportion of the Sikh population (in temrs of what their caste numbers were). Labana, Khatri, Tarkhan, Ramdasia, Ravidasia etc actually joined the military from the Sikh community in far higher numbers.

This is a fact...I have read this in more than one official record...without the stats I was keeping my mouth shut. It is a fact and it carries more clout coming from Randip ji than it would from me. For some non Jaats in the military the great incentive offered by the Brits was the promise of land in other colonies such as in Africa. It is great that this thread is sorting it out.

hsaluja

SPNer
Jun 6, 2010

I think this discussion will never come to a conclusion, and we should just accept that we are all the same, our ancestors took similar choice not so many years ago, and here we are, Sikh, and we all should be proud and respect each other and everyone else...

Oct 16, 2009

Those that beat their chests about how brave their castes are should ask themselves, why don't their non-Sikh memebers join the Army in such high numbers (this applies to Jatts too).?

Even non-sikh jats have a martial status and are warrior since ages.we have separate jat regiments in the infantry and also in other core's which i have observed my self.

where do we have khatri, labana, tarkhan regiments?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Even non-sikh jats have a martial status and are warrior since ages.we have separate jat regiments in the infantry and also in other core's which i have observed my self.

I beg to Differ here .Jats have been living in Punjab and northern India since very long time yet there is not even a one single major battle fought between non sikh jatts and muslim invaders .Infact in all the major battle there were Rajputs who were badly defeated and then Maratha's who were also defeated in Panipat.If jats were so brave and brilliant warriors then how come Muslim invaders were successful in Northern India?Also we should not forget that like other Punjabi's large number of jats converted to islam out of fear.

Oct 16, 2009

kanwardeep sir
there's a Persian saying that an army of sheep's led by a lion can defeat an army of lion's led by a sheep.when the Guru said he will make one stand against lakhs it was the confidence of a leader there was nothing racial in it actually warriors are like swords a leader knows how to utilise them their leader's brings them to victory.
Jats had no leader they did revolted under Gokula but that was too late but what so ever they were brave.
all the other people you have mentioned had leaders.

the clan that i belong to always confronted abdali and his men but we were few in number later we joined the sikhs

you know one thing brother even a regiment of eunuch's can fight bravely if they have a good leader.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

kanwardeep sir
there's a Persian saying that an army of sheep's led by a lion can defeat an army of lion's led by a sheep.when the Guru said he will make one stand against lakhs it was the confidence of a leader there was nothing racial in it actually warriors are like swords a leader knows how to utilise them their leader's brings them to victory.
Jats had no leader they did revolted under Gokula but that was too late but what so ever they were brave.
all the other people you have mentioned had leaders.

the clan that i belong to always confronted abdali and his men but we were few in number later we joined the sikhs

you know one thing brother even a regiment of eunuch's can fight bravely if they have a good leader.

Sikh Royalist ji

I am really sorry to say that but that is not answer to my question.The questions remains with Jats that why there was no leader Who could lead the jats.

As far Abdali is concerned ,It was already too late .Islamic invasions started with Defeat of Dahir and annexation of sind and later on invasion by Ghaznavi and Ghauri.Infact we can safely say that Defeat of prithviraj Chauhan was the end of Hindu Rule in Northern India.So in no way we can say that jats were brave enough to fight and save India from those Brutal invaders as jats were there in Northern India.I don't believe that jats or any other Punjabi community could boast there bravery.It was sikhs of all castes including jats who turned the table.The Punjabi pride and ego which is getting bigger and bigger these days is all because of sikhism O/W all Punjabi' castes would have been reading quran

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Well you need to learn some history my friend.

Find out about the Pioneer Regiments.

10th Sikh LI

Ramgarhia Brigade

and yes Labana's had their own regiment too.

...and non Jat Sikhs do have their own Jat regiment, but it remains a fact that the Jat Sikhs were thought of as better than their non-Jatt Sikh brethren. I can furnish hundreds of sources, here is one:

The reason for this was summed up by Major A.E. Barstow as being due to the influence of Sikhism. "As has already been explained the virtues of the Jats are identical with those of the Sikhs, but the latter possess in a higher degree the ardent military spirit which had its origin in the warlike precepts of Gobind Singh."

Oct 16, 2009

Sikh Royalist ji

I am really sorry to say that but that is not answer to my question.The questions remains with Jats that why there was no leader Who could lead the jats.

As far Abdali is concerned ,It was already too late .Islamic invasions started with Defeat of Dahir and annexation of sind and later on invasion by Ghaznavi and Ghauri.Infact we can safely say that Defeat of prithviraj Chauhan was the end of Hindu Rule in Northern India.So in no way we can say that jats were brave enough to fight and save India from those Brutal invaders as jats were there in Northern India.I don't believe that jats or any other Punjabi community could boast there bravery.It was sikhs of all castes including jats who turned the table.The Punjabi pride and ego which is getting bigger and bigger these days is all because of sikhism O/W all Punjabi' castes would have been reading quran

you know who defeated Dahir sen?

it's a long story before Dahir was the king jats ruled Sindh and Dahir who was a bhramin took the chair with his brainy tricks and he imposed lots of impositions on the jats which included restriction on the use of horse possession of sword and the wearing of turban the jats rebelled and later joined the invading islamic armies and thus sindh was lost.in a similar fashion the janjua rajputs helped the capture of northern punjab.

This story was not about their bravery but about their fighting skills and as i have said earlier warriors are like swords.

It is not that jats never had any leader but when we talk about the time period when mughal invasion started there was no strong jat kingdom
but gradually the jats started their resistance and then was born Maharaja Surajmal the plato of jats he was such a great man you must read about him.
the mughals had tried a lot to destroy the ambitions of the jat people from the souther (greater) punjab/ northern rajasthan but this man put an end to it
swordfight and formed a jat empire

you want to know about something specific?

Oct 16, 2009

Well you need to learn some history my friend.
young friend will be more apt

Find out about the Pioneer Regiments.

10th Sikh LI

Ramgarhia Brigade

and yes Labana's had their own regiment too.

they are recruited because they are sikh and these regiments are sikh regiments and i have mentioned it earlier that sikhs belonging to oic(other indian castes) are recruited in the sikh li regiments and these days even in the sikh regiments.
but you have asked about non-sikh fellows.

...and non Jat Sikhs do have their own Jat regiment, but it remains a fact that the Jat Sikhs were thought of as better than their non-Jatt Sikh brethren. I can furnish hundreds of sources, here is one:

The reason for this was summed up by Major A.E. Barstow as being due to the influence of Sikhism. "As has already been explained the virtues of the Jats are identical with those of the Sikhs, but the latter possess in a higher degree the ardent military spirit which had its origin in the warlike precepts of Gobind Singh.

actually its not properly quoted the thing is the difference is not too big non-sikh jats are brave but we in a comparison are even more braver even if you consider a khatri sikh he is braver than a non-sikh jat but a non-sikh jat is 100 times more braver than a hindu or muslim khatri.

truly speaking the hindu or even the muslim jats are not my brothers in any terms you know better than me of our relations we are not as close as hindu khatri and sikh khatris are but still i feel the same that even non-sikh jats are brave.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

you know who defeated Dahir sen?

it's a long story before Dahir was the king jats ruled Sindh and Dahir who was a bhramin took the chair with his brainy tricks and he imposed lots of impositions on the jats which included restriction on the use of horse possession of sword and the wearing of turban the jats rebelled and later joined the invading islamic armies and thus sindh was lost.in a similar fashion the janjua rajputs helped the capture of northern punjab.

This story was not about their bravery but about their fighting skills and as i have said earlier warriors are like swords.

It is not that jats never had any leader but when we talk about the time period when mughal invasion started there was no strong jat kingdom
but gradually the jats started their resistance and then was born Maharaja Surajmal the plato of jats he was such a great man you must read about him.
the mughals had tried a lot to destroy the ambitions of the jat people from the souther (greater) punjab/ northern rajasthan but this man put an end to it
swordfight and formed a jat empire

you want to know about something specific?

Sikh Royalist

Very few jats joined muhammed bin qasim .Infact it is written that he persecuted jats

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_bin_Qasim

The narrative in the Chach Nama conveys that Chach humiliated the sdJats and Lohanas. Denzil Ibbetson records that "Muhammad bin Qasim maintained these regulations, declaring that the jats resembled the savages of Persia "[19] According to Wink "While the Jats were also granted (aman) a considerable number of Jats were also captured as prisoners of war and deported to Iraq and elsewhere as slaves.[

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is something from jatland.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.jatland.com/home/Jats_in_Islamic_History

When Muhammad bin Qasim attacked Dahlilah, a fortified town in between Roar and Brahmanabad, most of the inhabitants (the Jats) had abandoned the place and migrated to Rajasthan via desert and took shelter in the country of Siru (modern Sirohi) which was then ruled by King Deva Raj, a cousin of Rai Dahir

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As far Jat king Surajmal is concerned .yes he had victories and his kingdom but saying that he created jat empire is exageration

Also please tell me why such a large number of jats were converted to islam
if they were so brave?

Let me tell you one thing Religion,culture and society plays much bigger role than ethnicity of people.Look at Afghans they were and still are the toughest people to break.Soviet tried to win over them but failed now USA is trying but it looks like they too are failing.But at one time Muslims defeated and converted them at that time no such bravery was shown by them becasue they use to practice Budhism/hinduism

ik-jivan

SPNer
May 3, 2010

Kanwardeep Singh ji,
I have reasons to disagree, at least in part. Here, read this, it’s a nice synopsis:
--------------------------------------
Haplogroup R1a is found today across a large swathe of Asia and Europe and may have originated in South or Central Asia. R1a is most common among Pakistanis, Northern, Russians, Ukrainians and the Kyrgyz and Altai peoples of Central Asia. In Europe R1a is the most common group in Slavic peoples and is also very common in Scandinavia. The presence of R1a in the British Isles is in the main due to Norse Viking ancestry, although Anglo-Saxons and Danes will have carried a smaller proportion there and there is a rare English-specific subgroup. It has been hypothesised that haplogroup R1a was carried to by the Kurgan culture, who domesticated the horse.
Source: http://www.topix.com/forum/world/united-kingdom/TEGNF3QD7T3JIGU7F
----------------------------------
Do you notice anything? Those with Haplogroup R1a genetics do seem to have marshal tendencies.

Punjab has a high proportion of Haplogroup R1a genetics, due to Scythian/Saka heritage.

Have a look at the Kurgan Hypothesis
. Now look at the spread of R1 Haplogroup.

Essentially, all the aggressive blood brothers have been beating on each other . . . in time maybe they will learn this.

Ahhh, but God forbid that the wee, tiny Punjabi Jatt lads ever meet up with Alani-Celt lassies! For then there would be a reckoning!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Kanwardeep Singh ji,
I have reasons to disagree, at least in part. Here, read this, it’s a nice synopsis:
--------------------------------------
Haplogroup R1a is found today across a large swathe of Asia and Europe and may have originated in South or Central Asia. R1a is most common among Pakistanis, Northern, Russians, Ukrainians and the Kyrgyz and Altai peoples of Central Asia. In Europe R1a is the most common group in Slavic peoples and is also very common in Scandinavia. The presence of R1a in the British Isles is in the main due to Norse Viking ancestry, although Anglo-Saxons and Danes will have carried a smaller proportion there and there is a rare English-specific subgroup. It has been hypothesised that haplogroup R1a was carried to by the Kurgan culture, who domesticated the horse.
Source: http://www.topix.com/forum/world/united-kingdom/TEGNF3QD7T3JIGU7F
----------------------------------
Do you notice anything? Those with Haplogroup R1a genetics do seem to have marshal tendencies.

Punjab has a high proportion of Haplogroup R1a genetics, due to Scythian/Saka heritage.

Have a look at the Kurgan Hypothesis
. Now look at the spread of R1 Haplogroup.

Essentially, all the aggressive blood brothers have been beating on each other . . . in time maybe they will learn this.

Ahhh, but God forbid that the wee, tiny Punjabi Jatt lads ever meet up with Alani-Celt lassies! For then there would be a reckoning!

ik jivan ji

just look at following
-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1_(Y-DNA)
The highest levels of R1a (>50%) are found across the Eurasian Steppe: West Bengal Brahmins (72%), and Uttar Pradesh Brahmins, (67%) , the Ishkashimi (68%), the Tajik population of Khojant (64%), Kyrgyz (63.5%), Sorbs (63.39%), Poles (56.4%), Ukrainians (50%) and Russians (50%)[11][9][12][13] and in the Central India among the Saharia tribe of Madhya Pradesh R1a*(22.8%) and R1a1(28.07%).[14]

If I agree with above then west bengal and Uttar pradesh Brahmins should have the highest Martial tendencies.Is anyone Going to believe in it?

As I said above Afghans after the conversion to islam became deadliest Fighters But no such Resistance was shown to islamic invaders as a result 99.7% population of Afghanistan is muslim now.How is it possible that before Islam they were conquered and After islam they themselves became invaders

hsaluja

SPNer
Jun 6, 2010

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Those who think that the European Lineage is superior, so if they belong to it, makes them superior inturn, think again. I just found the below extract:

R1a and R1a1a were once believed to have originated somewhere within Eurasia, thought to be in the area from Eastern Europe to South Asia. But the most recent studies indicate that South Asia is a more likely region of origin than Europe."

Source
http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Etruria_the_Etruscans_celts.htm
[/FONT]

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

young friend will be more apt

they are recruited because they are sikh and these regiments are sikh regiments and i have mentioned it earlier that sikhs belonging to oic(other indian castes) are recruited in the sikh li regiments and these days even in the sikh regiments.
but you have asked about non-sikh fellows.

actually its not properly quoted the thing is the difference is not too big non-sikh jats are brave but we in a comparison are even more braver even if you consider a khatri sikh he is braver than a non-sikh jat but a non-sikh jat is 100 times more braver than a hindu or muslim khatri.

truly speaking the hindu or even the muslim jats are not my brothers in any terms you know better than me of our relations we are not as close as hindu khatri and sikh khatris are but still i feel the same that even non-sikh jats are brave.

Actually, this IS properly quoted and was something noticed by Major A E Barstow of the British Army.

After this, Turbaned Amritdhari Sikh Jatts were given privileged over their non-Sikh brethren. Its a fact. They were simply braver, and better soldiers, and that was due to their religion, Sikhism. Please research it my young friend :).

Another thing to note is, the word Jat (as used by the British), because synonymous with Sikh, therefore some old texts by the British, state Jatt or Jat-Sikh, when they are referring to Sikhs of all background. It was only Barstow (and others) that tried to map the differences.

My family (who are a farming landowning caste), are often (and were in the past), confused with Jats. Maybe it was our aggressive temperament icecreammunda. I have spoken to others who have had the same treatment.

As I have stated earlier, there were not significant numbers of non-Sikh Tarkhans, Khatri's etc in Punjab to warrant the raising of regiments, whereas non_Sikh Jatts there were plenty of.

There are plenty of other non-Sikh regiments eg, Dogras, Rajputs, Labana even Brahmins etc.

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
I do not think that bravery has got anything to do with lineage, caste or the religion that one is born into. It just the motivation towards a cause that a leader or a Guru is able to instill in his protege that matters.
Our Gurus were able to instill superlative qualities in their Sikhs through stirring Bani and personal example irrespective whether the person was a Shudra, Brahmin, Bania, Khatri or a Jatt.
Alas among the contemporary Sikhs we do not have worthy persons who can carry the spirit of Gurbani through personal example. that explains our plight.
But as an optimist, I believe that this vacuum will not last forever. Gurbani is bound to find a target on some highly gifted spirited and energetic soul to carry forward its immortal task.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
If a haplogroup is equated with martial instincts, then the connection between genotyupes and phenotypes and social traditions is being badly confused.

But I think ik-jivaan ji was joking around IMHO.

The English also described themselves as a martial race during the time of the raj. The earliest intelligence tests and theories of intelligence to precede the now long standing Stanford Binet test measured traits like visual speed and reflexes.

Naturally the upper classes were found to have these traits in high measure. And naturally these were considered to be the traits of a fine warrior. swordfight

Naturally the peoples in the colonies were found to be slow and dull. :confusedmunda:

When genetics are used to explain martial ability we are typically looking at an argument having something to do with the "right to rule" based on genetic superiority.

:firing:

Science has often been perverted to serve political and social agendas. I have no clue why Jaats would want to go there.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM