• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Ardas Over Food = Purification Like Halal?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Hi People,

I had an interesting conversation a while ago in the Gurudwara at a Langaar where a devout Sikh friend I know said that when we have food before Langaar and do Ardas over it we are purifying it, just like Muslim's do Halal. I was taken a back and argued that we given thanks to God rather than purify, but thinking about it and the behaviour of our people maybe he was right? What do you think?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip ji I have never heard of this before. :eek: This is like saying "Grace" in a Christian home -- thanksgiving for the blessing of food and remembrance (even simran) of the divine presence even when we partake.

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear Randip Ji,

I read somewhere, I cannot put my finger on it and some times when I remember I recite;

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਛਤੀਹ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਖਾਹਿ ॥ ਤਿਸੁ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕਉ ਰਖੁ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥

Jih parsāḏ cẖẖaṯīh amriṯ kẖāhi. Ŧis ṯẖākur ka▫o rakẖ man māhi.

By Akal Purkh’s Grace, you eat many delicacies; enshrine that Master God within your mind.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri Sukhmani # 5, AGGS, Page, 269-14

Cordially,

Virinder

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The gurdwara service in Espanola New Mexico at Ashram Guru Ram Das just ended -- an Internet transmission. I watched for the blessing of the food. It is exactly what we have concluded here -- gratitude and a remembrance of His blessings. There was no mention of purification as in Alah Akbar!! or anything like that. :welcome:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Randip ji

Well that is the same thinking that says that we should do seva to cleanse our karma. I don't myself know where it comes from.

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear All,

Purification of the food by Ardas is spiritual ignorance IMHO. It is the gratitude which one has to offer for the food provided to Akal Purkh.

Cordially,

Virinder

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I know that what we do is for blessings, but it is the behaviour of our people, it is as if the food has been purified. That is what I am trying to get at.

Randip Ji..

I get what you are trying to say...like how some people rush to pick up little droplets of Karrah parshad they/or others have accidentally dropped on the floor..."holy food"...???and How they look at one who ignores the little pieces...."Doesnt he realise he is stepping on Holy Food" ?? types ??
Well these are the same types who drink the water that sangat wash their feet in...at the entrances of Gurdwaras...i also saw a few squeezing the rags used to clean the floors and drinking that "juice" In Rakab Ganj Gurdawra delhi among these were Obvious HINDUS and MUSLIMS....I talked to one or two..they said..Yes we come here daily and drink this..it is good for our business..brings us luck..and keeps us healthy..( thery are shopkeepers nearby )
At least the Karah parshad had ardass read and Kirpan Bhet....no such ardass was said over the feet washing water/and floor mopped "juice"...so I dont think its anything to do with ardass.
I beleive these are literal beleivers of..Saadh Sangat dee DHUR...dust of the feet of saints is "good for you"..etc etc. imho..all types make up thsi world...

If Karrah Parshad drops on the floor and another person notices and picks it up and eats it, there is nothing wrong about it. This is Guru Sahibs offering to us. Treat it with utmost respect. For someone to drop Karrah Parshad on the floor and notices, but doesn't pick it up and eat it, they have just disrespected Guru Sahib.

Guru Sahib told the Brahmins you guys don't let others touch your food because it won't be pure, but you cook it on cow dung. Sikh are doing the same now, Karrah Prashad falls on the floor now all of a sudden its seen as dirty!

Also some of these people that drop it on the floor and don't pick it up, came from india where food was cooked on cow dung. Where was everyone then to say the food is dirty.

Another thing there wasn't soap back then either, so who cooked to food and who brought the cow dung to cook the food on. Most likely the same person.

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear & respected Giani Ji,

Thanks for your point of view and describing the trust/faith (ਸ਼ਰਧਾ) of the individuals in the Gurudwara by picking up the pieces of dropped Krah Parsad. I was pointing out what I am teaching my family members to recite the gratitude as I read some where advised by Guru Gobind Singh to say the first hymn of fifth Astpadi of Sukhmani Sahib before eating any food described in my previous posting as;

ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਛਤੀਹ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਖਾਹਿ ॥ ਤਿਸੁ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕਉ ਰਖੁ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
Jih parsāḏ cẖẖaṯīh amriṯ kẖāhi.Ŧis ṯẖākur ka▫o rakẖ man māhi.

By His Grace, you partake of the thirty-six delicacies; enshrine that Lord and Master within your mind.
-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri Sukhmani AGGS, Page, 269-14

Cordially,

Virinder

Just for the record not lashing out at anyone, I just really feel strong about this when people contradict themselves. Because they can see the Karrah Pashad dropped, but can't see the restaurant cook who doesn't wash his hand. But treat both differently. Or it could be that for one you paid money and for Karrah Prashad it was free.:D

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Let's move in this direction ...with the permission of Randip ji

I beleive these are literal beleivers of..Saadh Sangat dee DHUR...dust of the feet of saints is "good for you"..etc etc. imho..all types make up thsi world...
(Gyani Jarnail Singh ji)

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
Randip jee,
Let's be exact about what we mean from the HALAL. Is the food being blessed by the Lord or it has been purified by the prayers ? Two are entirely different concepts. Lord's blessings can not be equated with any sort of prifications.
Please clerify in the context of Gurbani.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Singh Ji,
No offense.
But I wont pick up and eat off the floor. GURU Ji showed us the Ultimate cleanliness rules..ishnaans and all, sarovars, baolis etc to wash ...

Guru Ji GIFT..YES..but not when its been dropped...I wont go that far..maybe my loss..who knows..??
I wont pick up rice/pizza/roti daal milk kheer etc thats been spilled onto the floor either....even if its the Gurdwara langgar floor. If the sewadaar accidentally spills a karchha of kheer on to the floor in front of me instead of into my thali...he can clean it up later/i can clean it up..but i wont eat that. Of course i wont purposely drop/spill Guru ka Lnaggar/Karrah parshad.

Imho..Guru ji's RESPECT is in FOLLOWINMG HIS HUKMS..instructions..maryada..advice....reading/vicharing His Gurbani.... THIS RESPECT i go as far as i can to show to Guru Ji...

Chardeekalla Ji:yes:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Gyani ji and Verinder ji, that is exactly what I am trying to get at. People I think are forgetting why we do Ardas and its purpose and are thinking that it infuses magical qualities of purificatin to food like Halal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Halal/Haraam... on Food etc is a Muslim concept.
As far as Sikhi/Gurmatt/Gurbani is concerned...Guur nanak ji declares...
Haak PRAYA NANAKA...us SOOR..us GAYEH.
To a Muslim..the PORK (soor) is Haram...
To a HINDU..its beef that is haram..
TO A SIKH..PRAYA HAAK....others' rights are Haraam. Only what you EARN YOURSELF honestly is YOURS. Period. What belongs to another..is NOT RIGHT for a SIKH under any circumstances.
You notice GURU NANAK JI went for the JUGULAR..the very BASIC ROOT of ALL CONFLICTS...Fights...WARS... GRABBING OTHERS PROPERTIES..lusting after others wives..daughters..cars..lands..houses..countries..wealth..gold..whatever..and whatever...
While the Muslims and Hindus were merely scratching the surface with the pork/beef "???"
In Asa dee Vaar Guru Ji says openly...these FRAUDS..hold their noses in disgust at the mere sight of meat....and say we are vegetarians....we dont eat pork (muslims)..we dont eat beef (hindus)..BUT in the Darkness of NIGHT..these same people EAT and DEVOUR HUMANS..they KILL and MURDER under cover of darkness/anonymity...in the Dark they DEVOVOUR HUMAN FLESH in the guise of visiting prostitutes...underaged girls fit enough to be their daughters...they plot to grab lands, properties, take over countries, stab neighbours..assasinate kings... THIS IS THE REAL STUFF !!! the real seed of all troubles....and ONLY KIRT..Honest Labour/santokh satsifaction with ones earnings can stem this.

Hallal goes far deeper than just FOOD. Muslims have hallal labels on things such as Soap..Bath oils..toothpaste..and a MILLION other things....this concept is only relevant to their religion...for example they cant use soap that has alcohol content...that woudl be Haraam..and soap sans alcohol/pork byproducts etc would be Hallal.

And "Hallal" Food products...fit for Muslims...is "pure" for Muslims ONLY. To a Non-Muslim..they couldnt care less. To a SIKH..such food is NOT PERMITTED because it was prepared as a SACRIFICE to Allah....with Kalma read over it. Sikhs are NOT permitted to eat any SACRIFICIAL food...even the one in a HINDU Mandir...offered as sacrifice to Devis/Ganesha etc. SGGS is NOT an IDOL..so cannot be offered sacrifical food..so no question of SIKHS doing that. The ARDASS is THANKSGIVING/GRACE to THANK GOD for his mercy/Grace...NOT to PLEASE HIM.:D

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Singh Ji...
How can cow dung make food impure ??
Its just the FUEL....while the food is in the container...
and anyway the FIRE burns and cleans automatically.
Restaurants have dirty cooks..so have Gurdwaras...(sometimes)

I once REFUSED to take Parshad from a Singh Ji who had such dirty nails chock full of black dirt. Doesnt he have the DUTY to Himself and GURU JI..to NOT take sewa of distributing parshad IF he cannot clean his nails. Does the Parshad being blessed with Ardass done/Kirapn Bhet make it all right to distribute with dirty hands..still "holy". BTW Foods are never HOLY/UNHOLY.....Good Actions are stressed in Gurbani.:happy:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM