• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Any Way To Get A Sikh Name Without Visiting A Gurdwara?

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
Yes please, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:D

I've considered the name Hardas which from what I can tell means servant of God, but I am still unsure so I am open to other suggestions.

I want a name which reflects my goal in life, dedication to seva. I liked the idea of "servant of God" because that means I am dedicated to doing whatever Waheguru asks me to do, whether that means facing a whole lakh of trained warriors, or washing the feet of the saints.

More specifically I want to find a way to combine Sikhi and nursing. I want to get a doctorate degree in nursing and have a scholarly knowledge of Sikhism. Then for example I would like to find somewhere in the world where I could open a gurdwara/medical clinic/orphanage/school, and of course my house would be there too so that way I can always be available to help someone no matter what time they come. Of course I’d also like to find to a devout Sikh wife to share my goal with and to raise a large family of our own, maybe ten kids or so (of course we will adopt many of them). I really have no idea how to go about achieving this goal, and I understand that it will entail never ending amounts of work, but I can’t shake the feeling that Waheguru wants me to do more than become an average nurse raise a normal size family, and be a regular Sikh. I want to remain completely humble about my work though.

The reason I said all of this is because I need a name that fits these goals.

In order to achieve this dream goal, you can learn a lot from the life of Bhai Ghaniya jee. He was their in 10th Guru jee's time, all the time doing selfless service and nursing to all and every one who was injured in those bettals with Mughals. Some one can provide you a link to his life sketch on internet ,if availible.

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear Giani Ji,

Here are my two cents on the most important subject of Veechar about Gurbani with out which it is just mechanical recitation with superstition;

VEECHAR/ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ/ਬੀਚਾਰੁ

ਆਪੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ ਸੁ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਹੋਈ ॥

Āp bīcẖārė so gi¬ānī ho¬ī.

He alone is the master of true exposition, utterance, of
pure hearing and enlightenment, who contemplates his own self.
Guru Nanak, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 152-4

The word Veechar/ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ/ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ come in Sabd Guru 378/434 times as per Srigranth search engine in one form or the other. Mahan Kosh describes it as ਵਿਚਾਰ, ਖਿਆਲ (2) ਚਿੰਤਨ, ਸੋਚ ਵਿਚਾਰ (3) ਭਾਵ ਸਮਝ, ਸੂਝ (4) ਭਾਵ ਗਿਆਨ (5) ਭਾਵ ਬਿਆਨ, ਕਥਨ (6) ਸੋਚ, ਵਿਚਾਰ ਕਰ translated in English as intuitive understanding, contemplate and dwell, philosophical studies, reflect on the True Word of the Sabd the Truth, and only Truth, to understand the real meaning or essence of reality. Guru Ramdas ponders on it in Raag Dhanasari;

ਸੇਵਕ ਸਿਖ ਪੂਜਣ ਸਭਿ ਆਵਹਿ ਸਭਿ ਗਾਵਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਊਤਮ ਬਾਨੀ ॥ਗਾਵਿਆ ਸੁਣਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਕਾ ਹਰਿ ਥਾਇ ਪਾਵੈ ਜਿਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਆਗਿਆ ਸਤਿ ਸਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨੀ ॥ ਬੋਲਹੁ ਭਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਵਜਲ ਤੀਰਥਿ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਿ ਤਿਨ ਕੀ ਊਤਮ ਬਾਤ ਹੈ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਥਾ ਜਿਨ ਜਨਹੁ ਜਾਨੀ ॥

Sayvak Sikh PoojaN Sabh Aaveh Sabh Gaaveh Har Har Ootam Baanee, Gaave-aa SuNe-aa Tin Ka Har Thaa-ey Paavai Jin Sat Gur Ki Aage-aa Sat Sat Kar Maanee, Bolhu Bhaa-ee Har Keerat Har Bhavjal Tirath, Har Dar Tin Kee Ootam Baat Hai Santahu Har Kathaa Jin Janhu Jaanee.

All the Sikhs and servants come to worship and adore You; they sing the sublime Bani of the Eternal Akal Purkh. Their singing and listening is approved by the Akal Purkh; if they accept the Order of the True Guru as True, totally True. Chant the It's Praises, O Siblings of Destiny; the Akal Purkh is the sacred shrine of pilgrimage in the terrifying world-ocean. They alone are praised in Its Court, O Saints, who know and understand with reflection in daily life the Akal Purkh’s sermon. -----Guru Ramdas, Raag Dhanasari, AGGS, Page, 669-14 & 15

Guru Amardas points on the subject in Raag Vadhans and Siri Raag;

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਨੋ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਵੇਖਦਾ ਜੇਤਾ ਜਗਤੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥ਡਿਠੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜਿਚਰੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ਹਉਮੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਚੁਕਈ ਨਾਮਿ ਨ ਲਗੈ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥

Satgur No Sabh Ko Vaykhda Jayta Jagat Sansaar, Dithai Mukat Na Hova-ee Jichar Sabd Na Karay Veechaar, Ha-umai Mail Na Chuk-ee Naam Na Lagai Pi-aar.

Every one in the world beholds the True Guru. By seeing Him one is neither liberated nor the filth of his ego is removed, and neither has he enshrined love for the Naam, unless and until he/she contemplates the Word of Its Sabd, -----Guru Amardas, Raag Vadhans, AGGS, Page, 594-11

The Gurbani/Sabd is only understood when one tastes (ਭੁੰਚੈ) its essence and get lost in to it. Mechanical reciting it in Akhand Paths or Nit names is just an individual satisfaction thinking one’s self as spiritual being.

ਪਾਠੁ ਪੜੈ ਨਾ ਬੂਝਈ ਭੇਖੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਇ ॥ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਸਦਾ ਪਾਇਆ ਰਸਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਸਮਾਇ ॥

Paath Parhai Naa Boojh-ee Bhaykhee Bharam Bhulaa-ay Gurmatee Har Sadaa Paa-i-aa Rasnaa Har Sas samaa-ay.

Akal Purkh cannot be understood by reading scriptures; the deceitful pretenders are deluded by doubt. Akal Purkh is always found through the Guru’s teachings, and the tongue is permeated with the Sublime Essence of the Akal Purkh. -----Guru Amardas, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 66-18 & 19

Cordially,

Virinder S. Grewal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM