• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Any Way To Get A Sikh Name Without Visiting A Gurdwara?

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
I've been a Sikh for a few years now, but I've never gotten a proper Sikh first name. I feel like I should adopt a proper Sikh name, but there is no way for me to visit a gurdwara in order to get a gurmukhi letter. Would it be acceptable and proper to have someone else go to a gurdwara on my behalf?

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
Dear Satyadhi jee,
Their is nothing in the name as far as gurbani teaches us. And in particular their or no only Sikh na,mes as such. As per SRM, all we are suppose to do is to put SINGH or KAUR to our first name. so you can just add SINGH to Satyadhi and than you will be Satyadhi Singh. Nothing more is required. Do it far sure. All the best of Gursikh's way of life.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
YES YOU CAN JI.
And also you can attend any function..say at afriends house where they have ocassion to have SGGS parkash....akhand paath etc...then you cna request for a special Hukm/vaak fro naming purposes...i am sure the granthi will oblige.

IF you dont midn..I can take a Vaak for you tomorrow morning at Amrit Vela when I Paraksh our Family copy of SGGS. Glad to do it as I take a Vaak daily.:yes::yes:

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
I know that having a Sikh name aside from adding Singh/Kaur is not required, but I personally feel that it is something I want to do.

I would be very grateful if you could take a Vaak for me, Gyani Jarnail Singh ji, thank you.

Although there is a gurdwara about 20 minutes from where I live there is no way my parents would ever let me go there. They forced me to get rid of my books on Sikhi, and any other Sikh related stuff, at least I was able to send it to a gurdwara so someone will be able to get good use of my stuff. My parents really are nice people, but they are Christians and are convinced I'm going to hell because I'm a Sikh. Anyways, please take a vaak for me.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Satyadhi Ji,
Gurafteh.

AM back from Asa Ki Vaar and Saadh -Sang in Gurdwara.
Here is the Gurvaak that came for YOU !! after a personal ardass to Guru Ji to Be sahaii..help you at all times and keep you in chardeekalla always. The Shabad is by Guru Ramdass Ji...epitome of Humbleness, supreme Bliss. Once Sri Chand, elder son of Guru nanak ji came to visit Guru ramdass Ji. Guru Ji was sitting in Sangat darbar giving updesh and Sri Chand came up and asked..Why have you let your beard grow to such a length ? At once Guru Ji got up and began to wipe Sri Chands Feet with his Long beard..FOR WIPING THE FEET OF SAINTS LIKE YOIURSELF JIO....OH this humility is what got you the Gurgadee while I lost it..replied Sri Chand...
The Gurus have given us PERSONAL GUIDANCE...on how to keep in Chardeekalla agianst all and any adversities...we just have to follow the set path...walk in their footsteps...

The First Letter is H and the Word is HAR....so you may choose any name that begins with H or even HAR.... If you still need any advise please write....many on SPN will answer this call...and give you their best advise and love.

Page 861 Bottom
Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib
ਗੋਂਡ ਮਹਲਾ
गोंड महला ४ ॥
Gond mėhlā 4.
Gond, Fourth Mehl:

ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਨ ਕਉ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਬਹੁ ਤਪਤੈ ਜਿਉ ਤ੍ਰਿਖਾਵੰਤੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਨੀਰ ॥੧॥
हरि दरसन कउ मेरा मनु बहु तपतै जिउ त्रिखावंतु बिनु नीर ॥१॥
Har ḏarsan ka▫o merā man baho ṯapṯai ji▫o ṯarikẖāvaʼnṯ bin nīr. ||1||
My mind yearns so deeply for the Blessed Vision of the Lord's Darshan, like the thirsty man without water. ||1||

ਮੇਰੈ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੁ ਲਗੋ ਹਰਿ ਤੀਰ
मेरै मनि प्रेमु लगो हरि तीर ॥
Merai man parem lago har ṯīr.
My mind is pierced through by the arrow of the Lord's Love.

ਹਮਰੀ ਬੇਦਨ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਜਾਨੈ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਅੰਤਰ ਕੀ ਪੀਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
हमरी बेदन हरि प्रभु जानै मेरे मन अंतर की पीर ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Hamrī beḏan har parabẖ jānai mere man anṯar kī pīr. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The Lord God knows my anguish, and the pain deep within my mind. ||1||Pause||

ਮੇਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਕੀ ਕੋਈ ਬਾਤ ਸੁਨਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਭਾਈ ਸੋ ਮੇਰਾ ਬੀਰ ॥੨॥
मेरे हरि प्रीतम की कोई बात सुनावै सो भाई सो मेरा बीर ॥२॥
Mere har parīṯam kī ko▫ī bāṯ sunāvai so bẖā▫ī so merā bīr. ||2||
Whoever tells me the Stories of my Beloved Lord is my Sibling of Destiny, and my friend. ||2||
ਮਿਲੁ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਖੀ ਗੁਣ ਕਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੇ ਲੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਮਤਿ ਧੀਰ ॥੩॥
मिलु मिलु सखी गुण कहु मेरे प्रभ के ले सतिगुर की मति धीर ॥३॥
Mil mil sakẖī guṇ kaho mere parabẖ ke le saṯgur kī maṯ ḏẖīr. ||3||
Come, and join together, O my companions; let's sing the Glorious Praises of my God, and follow the comforting advice of the True Guru.. ||3||

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਹਰਿ ਆਸ ਪੁਜਾਵਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਨਿ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਸਰੀਰ ॥੪॥੬॥ ਛਕਾ ੧॥
जन नानक की हरि आस पुजावहु हरि दरसनि सांति सरीर ॥४॥६॥ छका १॥
Jan Nānak kī har ās pujāvahu har ḏarsan sāʼnṯ sarīr. ||4||6|| Cẖẖakā 1||
Please fulfill the hopes of servant Nanak, O Lord; his body finds peace and tranquility in the Blessed Vision of the Lord's Darshan. ||4||6|| Chhakaa 1.||

Last edited by a moderator:

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Satyadhi Ji,
Gurafteh.

AM back from Asa Ki Vaar and Saadh -Sang in Gurdwara.
Here is the Gurvaak that came for YOU !! after a personal ardass to Guru Ji to Be sahaii..help you at all times and keep you in chardeekalla always. The Shabad is by Guru Ramdass Ji...epitome of Humbleness, supreme Bliss. Once Sri Chand, elder son of Guru nanak ji came to visit Guru ramdass Ji. Guru Ji was sitting in Sangat darbar giving updesh and Sri Chand came up and asked..Why have you let your beard grow to such a length ? At once Guru Ji got up and began to wipe Sri Chands Feet with his Long beard..FOR WIPING THE FEET OF SAINTS LIKE YOIURSELF JIO....OH this humility is what got you the Gurgadee while I lost it..replied Sri Chand...
The Gurus have given us PERSONAL GUIDANCE...on how to keep in Chardeekalla agianst all and any adversities...we just have to follow the set path...walk in their footsteps...

The First Letter is H and the Word is HAR....so you may choose any name that begins with H or even HAR.... If you still need any advise please write....many on SPN will answer this call...and give you their best advise and love.

Page 861 Bottom
ਗੋਂਡ ਮਹਲਾ
गोंड महला ४ ॥
Gond mėhlā 4.
Gond, Fourth Mehl:

ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਨ ਕਉ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਬਹੁ ਤਪਤੈ ਜਿਉ ਤ੍ਰਿਖਾਵੰਤੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਨੀਰ ॥੧॥
हरि दरसन कउ मेरा मनु बहु तपतै जिउ त्रिखावंतु बिनु नीर ॥१॥
Har ḏarsan ka▫o merā man baho ṯapṯai ji▫o ṯarikẖāvaʼnṯ bin nīr. ||1||
My mind yearns so deeply for the Blessed Vision of the Lord's Darshan, like the thirsty man without water. ||1||

ਮੇਰੈ ਮਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੁ ਲਗੋ ਹਰਿ ਤੀਰ
मेरै मनि प्रेमु लगो हरि तीर ॥
Merai man parem lago har ṯīr.
My mind is pierced through by the arrow of the Lord's Love.

ਹਮਰੀ ਬੇਦਨ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਜਾਨੈ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਅੰਤਰ ਕੀ ਪੀਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
हमरी बेदन हरि प्रभु जानै मेरे मन अंतर की पीर ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Hamrī beḏan har parabẖ jānai mere man anṯar kī pīr. ||1|| rahā▫o.
The Lord God knows my anguish, and the pain deep within my mind. ||1||Pause||

Whoever tells me the Stories of my Beloved Lord is my Sibling of Destiny, and my friend. ||2||
ਮਿਲੁ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਖੀ ਗੁਣ ਕਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੇ ਲੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਮਤਿ ਧੀਰ ॥੩॥
मिलु मिलु सखी गुण कहु मेरे प्रभ के ले सतिगुर की मति धीर ॥३॥
Mil mil sakẖī guṇ kaho mere parabẖ ke le saṯgur kī maṯ ḏẖīr. ||3||
Come, and join together, O my companions; let's sing the Glorious Praises of my God, and follow the comforting advice of the True Guru.. ||3||

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਹਰਿ ਆਸ ਪੁਜਾਵਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਨਿ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਸਰੀਰ ॥੪॥੬॥ ਛਕਾ ੧॥
जन नानक की हरि आस पुजावहु हरि दरसनि सांति सरीर ॥४॥६॥ छका १॥
Jan Nānak kī har ās pujāvahu har ḏarsan sāʼnṯ sarīr. ||4||6|| Cẖẖakā 1||
Please fulfill the hopes of servant Nanak, O Lord; his body finds peace and tranquility in the Blessed Vision of the Lord's Darshan. ||4||6|| Chhakaa 1.||

Gyani Ji, amazing saakhi and beautiful Shabad by Guru Ram Das Ji.... Thank you so much... The sangat can enjoy the bliss of Guru vaak always....

:wah::wah:

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009

Gianny jeo,
You have proved once again "ਸੋ ਭਾਈ ਸੋ ਮੇਰਾ ਬੀਰ ". God bless you with his true marag so that you are their to guide us from time to time of HIS TRUTHS.

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
Thank you so much! I think the shabad perfectly reflects the desire Waheguru gave me over the past few years to serve God by serving others.

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Oh, dear, your parents did that? I am sorry to hear that. It is sad to think that Christ's teachings have been *******ed to being based on Fear rather than on Love. Much of what Jesus said and what the Gurus said is very, very similar.

Each individual has their own relationship with the Divine. No one can really dictate that one.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Oh, dear, your parents did that? I am sorry to hear that. It is sad to think that Christ's teachings have been *******ed to being based on Fear rather than on Love. Much of what Jesus said and what the Gurus said is very, very similar.

Each individual has their own relationship with the Divine. No one can really dictate that one.

There are also "Sikh" parents cutting their own childrens hair...or encouraging it..or IGNORING it....Warr khet nu kayeh... is so true....(Field eaten by the fence):down:

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
Yes please, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:D

I've considered the name Hardas which from what I can tell means servant of God, but I am still unsure so I am open to other suggestions.

I want a name which reflects my goal in life, dedication to seva. I liked the idea of "servant of God" because that means I am dedicated to doing whatever Waheguru asks me to do, whether that means facing a whole lakh of trained warriors, or washing the feet of the saints.

More specifically I want to find a way to combine Sikhi and nursing. I want to get a doctorate degree in nursing and have a scholarly knowledge of Sikhism. Then for example I would like to find somewhere in the world where I could open a gurdwara/medical clinic/orphanage/school, and of course my house would be there too so that way I can always be available to help someone no matter what time they come. Of course I’d also like to find to a devout Sikh wife to share my goal with and to raise a large family of our own, maybe ten kids or so (of course we will adopt many of them). I really have no idea how to go about achieving this goal, and I understand that it will entail never ending amounts of work, but I can’t shake the feeling that Waheguru wants me to do more than become an average nurse raise a normal size family, and be a regular Sikh. I want to remain completely humble about my work though.

The reason I said all of this is because I need a name that fits these goals.

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
Some websites say Hardas (daas) means God's slave and that H{censored}vak or H{censored}wak means God's servant.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM