• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Would You Punish Your Child Without Telling Them Why?

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
What would you call a person who feels someone has committed a heinous crime and that this someone should be punished (understandable )
but suppose that someone loses his memory of what he had done !
and now he has effectively become in his own perception an innocent person
but you remember his crimes and then you punish this guy ..

you torture him , give distress to his soul , but he doesn't understand why you are doing this to him .You don't even tell him a word .You jst torment him. Some other folks outside his prison cage tell him he had committed some wrong and thats why he's being punished but there's no evidence for that ..

Does this sound right ??
Doesn't even the most heinous of criminal deserve to know his crime ??
Does it make sense to punish a criminal without him knowing his crimes ??

If your answer is NO , then don't you think this is how exactly karma theory works ??

The divine ruler of the universe has made a system wherein this life will be a heaven or hell depending on your past karma but you will just feel the torment , never know even if you did something nasty to deserve the ****

Wouldn't it have been great if everytime we suffer , there would be a voice in our ear telling what bad karma this punishment is for ??!! then atleast we would be calm knowing we are not punished for nothing

BTW , this is a serious question and no I don't have an axe to grind
this is philosophical debate

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Seeker Ji,
This is too general a discussion. Obviously no one in their right mind would support punishing someone without his/her knowing about the matter at hand or without being given the chance to defend himself. Without that, no punishment holds any meaning.
Although what I feel is that there is more to what you have said. Anything that triggered this topic in your mind? Please feel free to share.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
Seeker2013 ji

Do something.... be an instrument for good and change the landscape of pain and suffering.

Charity Vault (Bangalore) http://www.charity-charities.org/India-charities/Bangalore.html

Project Why (Delhi) http://www.projectwhy.org/

Mumbai Street Children Empowerment Network at http://www.mscen.org/

United Sikhs (India-wide, worldwide) http://www.unitedsikhs.org/blog/

See the results of your efforts on a small scale and feel better.

So when I talk about discussions , people doubt my intentions and direct me to charity websites . Nothing bad in that but why diverting the topic ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Over history there have been many religious leaders and theologians who ask the same question you have asked, though they ask it differently. If there is a God, then why so much suffering?

Three stand out. Buddha, Jesus of Nazareth and Guru Nanak. All observed suffering. All tackled an explanation for it and answered the question in different ways. Despite their perspective on the causes of suffering, and despite their understanding of salvation in life after death, all 3 believed that salvation during one's lifetime depends on making an effort to relieve the suffering of others. Even small efforts can make a big difference in your own world and your reactions to it.

In that we get a sense of their answer to the broader questions of why we suffer.

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
Seeker Ji,
This is too general a discussion. Obviously no one in their right mind would support punishing someone without his/her knowing about the matter at hand or without being given the chance to defend himself. Without that, no punishment holds any meaning.
Although what I feel is that there is more to what you have said. Anything that triggered this topic in your mind? Please feel free to share.

Suffering in the world triggered me to ask these questions ..
Now ofcourse people would tell me that I should be doing something to change status quo rather than whine about it . We should do the help but even people who work with charity still have these questions deep in their mind !
and they too ask such questions ..

unfortunately , most people feel a crisis of faith when such questions are encountered and they either divert the topic or rather call someone a troll or stuff like that ..
but such questions are philosophical IMHO

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
What would you call a person who feels someone has committed a heinous crime and that this someone should be punished (understandable )

you torture him , give distress to his soul , but he doesn't understand why you are doing this to him .You don't even tell him a word .You jst torment him. Some other folks outside his prison cage tell him he had committed some wrong and thats why he's being punished but there's no evidence for that ..

Does this sound right ??

If your answer is NO , then don't you think this is how exactly karma theory works ??

The divine ruler of the universe has made a system wherein this life will be a heaven or hell depending on your past karma but you will just feel the torment , never know even if you did something nasty to deserve the ****

Wouldn't it have been great if everytime we suffer , there would be a voice in our ear telling what bad karma this punishment is for ??!! then atleast we would be calm knowing we are not punished for nothing

Seeker2013 ji,

Guru fateh.

Before I answer your questions, there seem to be a lot of discrepancies between the title of the thread and your questions. There are many missing links.

I can only respond to you if you ask a number of questions based on the title. You may add your personal experiences to it as a child if you wish. Did it help or hinder you? In what way?

Only by clarifying the topic we can have a healthy conversation.

Hope to read your questions about punishing your child and for what purpose.

Thanks and regards.

Tejwant Singh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Does this sound right ??

This is a question on Karma, it is a bit like posting a question about meat recipes on a vegan forum........

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM