• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Is There Suffering And Chaos In This World?

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
So, I never found the reason why there is suffering in this world, and I just don't understand why it happens to good people as well and why the 1984 Anti-Sikh riots happened. So many innocent Sikhs died, but they didn't do anything at all, but they suffered. Why did God do such a thing? Also why is there large scale tradegies and terrorist attackings that happen towards innocent people as well.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
So, I never found the reason why there is suffering in this world, and I just don't understand why it happens to good people as well and why the 1984 Anti-Sikh riots happened. So many innocent Sikhs died, but they didn't do anything at all, but they suffered. Why did God do such a thing? Also why is there large scale tradegies and terrorist attackings that happen towards innocent people as well.

who said God did anything? We are a race with our own mind, our own desires, egos, lusts, and then, go a bit beyond that, and we have even more that lives in the subconscious, even more desire, even more lust, and a whole lot more we do not have any inkling of, until its happened, or its too late,

so what is God supposed to do, keep us all in check? act as some sort of undelete function to undo all the shit that we create? and then people like you have a go at this entity for not doing a good enough job? Why should God do anything? its our own hell that we created ourself

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
The answer to that question would depend on your view of free will vs. determinism. If you believe we have absolute free will then you can't blame God for anything. If you believe in absolute determinism then you might take issue with "God's plan", then again who is to say you understand the big picture enough to take issue with destiny? From my understanding Sikhi holds a soft deterministic view of things, that is to say some things are destined and some things are left to us to completely foul up.

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
who said God did anything? We are a race with our own mind, our own desires, egos, lusts, and then, go a bit beyond that, and we have even more that lives in the subconscious, even more desire, even more lust, and a whole lot more we do not have any inkling of, until its happened, or its too late,

so what is God supposed to do, keep us all in check? act as some sort of undelete function to undo all the shit that we create? and then people like you have a go at this entity for not doing a good enough job? Why should God do anything? its our own hell that we created ourself
Does that mean there is no such thing as a God?

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
One last question what about the question regarding Natural Evil such as hurricanes, tsunami's, disease, and such. I don't understand that, I understand against Human Evil and such, but what about natural evil. I understand how man or humanity is filled with flaws and we have our own egos and such, but what about nature?

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
One last question what about the question regarding Natural Evil such as hurricanes, tsunami's, disease, and such. I don't understand that, I understand against Human Evil and such, but what about natural evil. I understand how man or humanity is filled with flaws and we have our own egos and such, but what about nature?

Weather can't be "evil". Who is to say if a hurricane is a good thing or a bad thing? The answer is entirely subjective. Even if lives are lost in a weather related natural disaster, you can't blame God for the loss of those lives. Weather patterns have existed before humans (I think), there are a number of factors that come together to make natural disasters occur, God didn't make anyone live right next to active volcanoes, evacuation is often an option when these things happen, etc. When you stop asking "why?" you can begin to accept what simply is.

notanotherloginplease

Writer
SPNer
Apr 13, 2006
"Hukamei Andar Sab ko bahr Hukam na koi"
We appear to have a free will until we do not go beyond the realm of Mind but then we realize as per above that everything happens with his Hukam.
We have a logic of Karma, which explains whatever we sow, we have to reap , bad or good doesn't matter.

As @Harry Haller wrote, we have our own mind and we can act/react to a situation as it pleases us. We should keep doing it but always try to do if it seems morally correct and we will still do it if we have to do it for our satguru. Leave the rest in His hands. "Jo kare kartar sai bhali kaar."

As far good humans getting bad treatment is concerned - It could either be their Karma or it must be in their favor when looking at great schema. It may seem unjust but it is keeping creation in balance.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
True that. As long as you accept what you cannot change and accept that there are no answers to some questions.

How do you know what you cannot change?

How do you know which questions have no answers?

100 years ago, we could not change the weather, now we can...

50 Years ago, I would be dead from the several heart attacks I have had, today, we insert leg veins,

25 Years ago, pragmatism and questioning within Sikhism was not encouraged, especially by the men in white beards, now the men in white beards are vanishing, now we encourage questions and pragmatism

Can you give me an example of something I should accept without question, and a question that I should accept has no answers?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
25 Years ago, pragmatism and questioning within Sikhism was not encouraged, especially by the men in white beards, now the men in white beards are vanishing, now we encourage questions and pragmatism

How about those who dye their white beards with henna?

As a white-bearded man who also does katha, I take offence in your assumption that I am vanishing.

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
How do you know what you cannot change?

How do you know which questions have no answers?

100 years ago, we could not change the weather, now we can...

50 Years ago, I would be dead from the several heart attacks I have had, today, we insert leg veins,

Can you give me an example of something I should accept without question, and a question that I should accept has no answers?

No, I can't tell you what you should accept without question. I my experience, however, a continuously restless mind doesn't bring me peace and doesn't allow me to focus on anything but finding the solution to whatever I "need" to resolve.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
No, I can't tell you what you should accept without question. I my experience, however, a continuously restless mind doesn't bring me peace and doesn't allow me to focus on anything but finding the solution to whatever I "need" to resolve.

Peace is overrated, its what babies do, peace is the end, its death, its when you stop living, my mind is constantly restless, although for a recent period, it was at peace, on balance, I prefer it restless, it feels alive, hungry for answers, for solutions, for engagement, it wants to grow, to learn, it is violent, sexual, ugly, at times beautiful, enriching, ecstatic, and it switches from one to another and back again all day,

what does this peace give you?

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
Peace is overrated, its what babies do, peace is the end, its death, its when you stop living, my mind is constantly restless, although for a recent period, it was at peace, on balance, I prefer it restless, it feels alive, hungry for answers, for solutions, for engagement, it wants to grow, to learn, it is violent, sexual, ugly, at times beautiful, enriching, ecstatic, and it switches from one to another and back again all day,

what does this peace give you?

It gives me freedom from anger that the world isn't as it "should" be. It gives my mind rest so I can contemplate oneness with the Akal Purkh. It helps me appreciate the small things and gives me a reprieve from worrying about the big picture. I value these things.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
It gives me freedom from anger that the world isn't as it "should" be. It gives my mind rest so I can contemplate oneness with the Akal Purkh. It helps me appreciate the small things and gives me a reprieve from worrying about the big picture. I value these things.

Curious,

How should the world be?
What are the small things?
What is the big picture?

thanks

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
Curious,

How should the world be?
What are the small things?
What is the big picture?

thanks

The answers to these questions are all subjective. My personal answers are that the world should be just and compassionate. The small things include tender moments with loved ones and the joy of feeling the first drops of the first rain of the season. The big picture includes the environmental degradation of the Earth, the creeping threat of a technological police state and the eventual death of the planet.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
The answers to these questions are all subjective.
sure they are, but they help us see where you come from,

My personal answers are that the world should be just and compassionate. The small things include tender moments with loved ones and the joy of feeling the first drops of the first rain of the season. The big picture includes the environmental degradation of the Earth, the creeping threat of a technological police state and the eventual death of the planet.

your no fun anymore, I'll go find someone else to torment

Last edited:

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
The answer to that question would depend on your view of free will vs. determinism. If you believe we have absolute free will then you can't blame God for anything. If you believe in absolute determinism then you might take issue with "God's plan", then again who is to say you understand the big picture enough to take issue with destiny? From my understanding Sikhi holds a soft deterministic view of things, that is to say some things are destined and some things are left to us to completely foul up.
Please explain what soft deterministic means ?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM