• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Do People Confuse Good And Bad Luck, With The Actions Of God?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I agree. I plan on keeping a sense of humor, empathy, the ability to love (in an unattached way) etc.
how does one love in an unattached way? does that not destroy the intensity of love? Would you only love God in an attached way?

i think that you're closer to God than you think, even though you're a weirdo that it seems is being dragged down the path kicking and screaming. What the hell do THEY know, anyway?
Me and God have a good relationship, I know why I am here, its one of his big jokes, and he laughs with me constantly, mostly about all the bad stuff, which he finds hilarious, 'Harry, your the best sitcom I ever created ever, the amount of amusement I have had watching you do all those terrible things and then dig yourself out, is just off the scale' there is no kicking and screaming, I go down the path, god follows me, laughing hysterically and pointing, he never drags me anywhere, I am just here for comic relief, that is my diktat in life. I could never settle down, it would kill me, and then God would have no one to amuse him,. which is probably why every relationship I ever have had, has me say and do just the right combination to send them running, very fast. They run, he laughs!

I don't think numbness is the goal, more like transcendence. It sounds like you have transcended a lot of the shit most people are happy to wallow in. You are free! Unattached! To hell with everyone's opinions about you. Find a way to use your talents in a way that makes the world a tiny bit better for even one person and off you go. You have time.

Numbness, shmumbness, you call it transcendence, I call it numbness, either way, you are shutting yourself off from feeling something, it is true, the only way I could wallowing in all the people shit was to get rid of them, and it worked, no people, no shit, thats a choice rather than numbness, as events of the last 3 months clearly showed, bring people in, and I change, I lose myself,

I have spent 20 years doing the make the world a better place thing, my experience is it is all completely pointless, all you do is take peoples ability to better themselves by taking on their trials and problems, and stealing the learning ability they could have had, its a fine line between making the world a better place, and interfering with the flow of the world, who is to say that what you perceive as a good action, is a bad action, I am not willing to take that responsibility any more, no, for now, I will just live, there is no grand plan, there is no redemption, there is no fate, or intervention, just today, lets see what lady luck brings.......

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Why do people confuse good and bad luck, with the actions of God?

surely your path is determined by your actions, and sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't, what is luck?

luck
lʌk/
noun
  1. 1.
    success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

So would it be fair to say that changing the above to

success or failure apparently brought by God rather than through one's own actions.

would represent a majority thinking within Sikhism?
Harry Haller ji thanks for starting this thread.

I believe that we need to recognize a fundamental trait in humans. That is to believe and say, "I know!". This includes you and includes me as much if not more so; and most of the spners. It is not bad trait because it germinates confidence whether it is based on facts or fiction or a mixture thereof. Confidence continuously builds through further experiences, clarifications and realizations. SGGS ji emphasizes through mool mantar how knowing God/creator is not possible. All we can do at best is understand or live in consonance with all we can observe and understand. Furthermore SGGS guides us to observe and learn more. We as Sikhs cannot stop learning. Our Guruji's teach us not only that the world is our oyster but rather that the universe is our oyster. Sikhs seek and see further; much further than what they saw yesterday.

I make the above conjectures and statements because I know :mundawinks:. Do I really know, only God knows:harmonium:.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry Haller ji thanks for starting this thread.
good to see you back,

believe that we need to recognize a fundamental trait in humans. That is to believe and say, "I know!". This includes you and includes me as much if not more so; and most of the spners
ah but that is just it, I don't know, I have joined a new club, the don't knows and don't cares, all I really know is today, the day unfolds as it should, without divine intervention, I don't know that, but at the moment that is my holding position,

SGGS ji emphasizes through mool mantar how knowing God/creator is not possible. All we can do at best is understand or live in consonance with all we can observe and understand. Furthermore SGGS guides us to observe and learn more. We as Sikhs cannot stop learning. Our Guruji's teach us not only that the world is our oyster but rather that the universe is our oyster. Sikhs seek and see further; much further than what they saw yesterday.
in your opinion then, are events planned or do they just happen?

really good to see you back!

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Harry Haller ji, you say "I don't know ...."; In order to say that you must know:peacesingh:. So from what I know and don't know; there is no absolute I don't know nothing and I know it all.

Harry Haller ji there is also a level of predictability in action and reactions, i.e. we do something and there is a reasonable level of certainty about an outcome. However there is a level of uncertainty in all we do no matter how predictable it is. It is this level of uncertainty that makes life fun. The surprises, the coincidences, and so on can be ascribed to hukam, or to a lack of our understanding regarding the totality of all that affects what we do and what outcomes we achieve.

Whereas at macro level many actions-reactions look predictable and similar I am sure you will agree that at the micro or atomic level, no two action reactions are identical. So it also depends upon the acuteness of observation that can throw a curve where we demand or portend that all is definable action-reaction.

The biggest mystery is regarding planned versus just happening. If you look back you may find a mixture of just happening as well as planned and combinations thereof. For example, birth and child's attributes one cannot plan and they just happen. You may reasonably predict to a certain level but not much beyond in future time or space. I am sure at some times in the future it may be possible to plan.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
how does one love in an unattached way? does that not destroy the intensity of love? Would you only love God in an attached way?
Love is the actions you take to show someone that they are important to you and deserving of care. So much of what most people call love is attachment. The feeling that someone completes you, is your reason for living, that you would die without receiving their love in return, the excruciating pain of trying to hold on to a fleeting emotion, that's not love. That's attachment. I've been a romantic before. Hooked on the highs and lows, in love with the tragedy. It feels great and terrible, like what I imagine it feels like to be hooked on heroin. Moments of pure elation followed by long periods of torturous withdrawl. Done it. I don't want that anymore. I'm now feeling like unattached love is the healthiest kind of love, maybe even the only true kind of love. Loving God is different. It's ok to be attached to God because God is within you and the only love that goes with you beyond this world.

Numbness, shmumbness, you call it transcendence, I call it numbness, either way, you are shutting yourself off from feeling something, it is true, the only way I could wallowing in all the people shit was to get rid of them, and it worked, no people, no shit, thats a choice rather than numbness, as events of the last 3 months clearly showed, bring people in, and I change, I lose myself,
I'm making a choice too. You've chosen to be this way to avoid the pain of the human experience, I am choosing to be this way to see what might be beyond human experience. What happens when you strip away everything and focus on your relationship with God? I've never done it before. I've always chased after one distraction or another. This is a learning opportunity for me, not a hibernation.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry Haller ji, you say "I don't know ...."; In order to say that you must know:peacesingh:. So from what I know and don't know; there is no absolute I don't know nothing and I know it all.

Harry Haller ji there is also a level of predictability in action and reactions, i.e. we do something and there is a reasonable level of certainty about an outcome. However there is a level of uncertainty in all we do no matter how predictable it is. It is this level of uncertainty that makes life fun. The surprises, the coincidences, and so on can be ascribed to hukam, or to a lack of our understanding regarding the totality of all that affects what we do and what outcomes we achieve.

Whereas at macro level many actions-reactions look predictable and similar I am sure you will agree that at the micro or atomic level, no two action reactions are identical. So it also depends upon the acuteness of observation that can throw a curve where we demand or portend that all is definable action-reaction.

The biggest mystery is regarding planned versus just happening. If you look back you may find a mixture of just happening as well as planned and combinations thereof. For example, birth and child's attributes one cannot plan and they just happen. You may reasonably predict to a certain level but not much beyond in future time or space. I am sure at some times in the future it may be possible to plan.

Sat Sri Akal.
I cannot argue with that, I would like to argue, but I can't, I need to think about this

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
Well, Humans are unique creatures. Whenever someone prays for something, for example, a religious person prays for something when it come's true they praise God, when it doesn't happen they realise they sinned, or that God will message later. While for a person who is secular and pray in the times of need, when something good happens they will mostly assume it was luck or a miracle, or when it doesn't happen they realise that God is weakless or persume that God isn't the all knowing, powerful being. That is my view, I know it is confusing, but its hard for me to explain. Also, it has to do with free will or determinism, I guess. Honestly, I don't know, its hard to explain and well this my view on prayer.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM