• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure Why Did God Give Us Personalities If He Has None Himself?

Aug 18, 2008
Staten Island, NY
Thank you. I am finding replying very confusing, and don't want to leave anyone out, but when I bring up the quick reply field, I forgot what the person said because it's not included here for me to refer to. It's just me. I am not very computer savvy.
Finding everything overwhelming at the moment.
Thank you all for your kindness, though.

Aug 18, 2008
Staten Island, NY
Thinkforyourself Ji We have to realise more than look ,I also hardly fit in madam so you are not alone, the future content is ours to shape, admin allowing,so lets to take over SPN one post at a time together and make it whatever you want it to be.
Thanks Sinner! I'm not quite sure how I wound up here other than to say I found this site online and it seemed like it had some interesting people on it. Also very respectful. I have always admired the Sikhs. Peaceful, but not willing to take any garbage either, if you know what I mean.
That being said, it doesn't mean I agree with a personal god. I do not wish to offend anyone, and well, quite frankly, I'm sure people will wonder, Why are you on here if you aren't a Sikh?
I am asking myself that. Maybe I should look elsewhere. I so totally can't relate to 99% of the human race. Terrible, I know. But that's me.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Thank you so much. You are very kind. I'd use a smiley, but am not sure if I am allowed. I am not a Sikh. : - )

I am the creator of the Sikh Smileys and I hereby give you permission to use them here or anywhere else you feel like. (They're under a Creative Commons copyright, so anyone can use them.)

Anybody else can use them, too!

Perhaps "originator" would be a better word than "creator." I am not trying to usurp the power of the Almighty.

lol

Last edited:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Thanks Sinner! I'm not quite sure how I wound up here other than to say I found this site online and it seemed like it had some interesting people on it. Also very respectful. I have always admired the Sikhs. Peaceful, but not willing to take any garbage either, if you know what I mean.
That being said, it doesn't mean I agree with a personal god. I do not wish to offend anyone, and well, quite frankly, I'm sure people will wonder, Why are you on here if you aren't a Sikh?
I am asking myself that. Maybe I should look elsewhere. I so totally can't relate to 99% of the human race. Terrible, I know. But that's me.

You have chosen a great name ,that is exactly what a Sikh should do, It's ok to believe in that aswell , most people pray like they are talking to a person but accept the Sikh principle of form-less-force-entity, to me God is personal because we have a personal agreement ,regardless we learn and realise in ourselves regardless what website we happen to be on. Forums/Agora started in the ninth century B.C. it's an ancient way of discourse and discussion.
Take care I will try to be in the 1 percent

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thank you. I am finding replying very confusing, and don't want to leave anyone out, but when I bring up the quick reply field, I forgot what the person said because it's not included here for me to refer to. It's just me. I am not very computer savvy.
Finding everything overwhelming at the moment.
Thank you all for your kindness, though.

thinkforyourself ji

I share your feelings on this ...2 things are possible.

One is to click on Quote Post and then you can see what was said above. Just start to reply to any points you want. If you use this option you can also delete any sections of the quote that are not of interest to you. Then hit Submit Reply.

Second is to scroll down on a page. Usually the earlier posts are right there under your reply window and you can refer to the one's you want to respond to.

I typically use the first solution because I like having the comments of another member in front of me. Then I erase all or part of the comment as needed.

Welcome to SPN. kaurhug

Aug 18, 2008
Staten Island, NY
thinkforyourself ji

I share your feelings on this ...2 things are possible.

One is to click on Quote Post and then you can see what was said above. Just start to reply to any points you want. If you use this option you can also delete any sections of the quote that are not of interest to you. Then hit Submit Reply.

Second is to scroll down on a page. Usually the earlier posts are right there under your reply window and you can refer to the one's you want to respond to.

I typically use the first solution because I like having the comments of another member in front of me. Then I erase all or part of the comment as needed.

Welcome to SPN. kaurhug

Ah! I see. Thanks for the tip. I am also getting tons of e-mail with linksback to whatever it was I was commenting on, with other people replying. I don't want to leave anyone out, but it is becoming overwhelming, there seem to be an awful lot,

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thinkforyourself Ji

Welcome to SPN! Lots of different people here, so please don't feel like there's no room for you, too.

A couple of tips on how to use SPN:

Tip 1. To turn off those emails you're getting, go to the orange bar at the top of the screen (not the one at the VERY top, the next one down a bit) and click on 'Options' (second button in from the right side).

In the next screen, scroll down to the 'Messaging and Notification' section and check your Default Thread Subscription Mode - you might want to change it to 'Do Not Subscribe' and it will stop emailing you every time someone posts something to a thread you've commented on.

Tip 2. (and I wish someone had told me this one earlier!) I find the easiest way to use SPN regularly is with the help of the 'New Posts' button - find it two buttons to the left of the 'Options' button mentioned above, or alternatively on the left side when you're on the main SPN homepage (under your own avatar). I like the second method cos it tells you how many new posts since your last visit, and if it's 0 (as it often is for me hitting refresh every 5 minutes hehehe) you don't have to go there at all.

That way you won't miss anything new!

I hope these tips help orient you until you get more familiar with the site. It sure gets busy here sometimes!

Gurfateh
You fellow sista, Ishna

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Welcome thinkforyourselfji sister,

Do not worry, we are not seeking converts, only dialogue with others from any faith or background to share common views or debate uncommon ones, I also do not believe in a personal God, so you are not alone there, you are also lucky in being able to relate to 99%, I can only manage 99.99%!

I came here as an atheist, and enjoyed the company and the polite debating so much, I realised that the man I was, was already a sikh, so you will not change, but you may realise that facets of sikhism are already within you, like I did.

Sikhism does not change you per se, you change because you may want to, but I found that Sikhism and the people here validated me, and I also found that the 99.99% figure drops to around 50% when I am on this forum

icecreammunda

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Harry Haller ji
Well, that explains why you're a Sikh - but not a "Singh".
I must say - I couldn't agree more with your POV (I may 'convert' yet).
I should also point out that, when I read "An Introduction to Sikhism" (sorry, don't recall Ms. Kaurs first name), and I realized that, in this world of misogynistic faiths (women are 'unclean', having cursed us all with Eves 'original sin'), it was a WOMAN expressing such adoration for HER Beautiful Faith - I was entirely IMPRESSED!!!!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

Well said:

Sikhism does not change you per se, you change because you may want to, but I found that Sikhism and the people here validated me, and I also found that the 99.99% figure drops to around 50% when I am on this forum

As the old saying goes."If we change the way we look at things, then the things we look at change".

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Thinkingforyourself, you are right this maybe wrong site. People here are very quick to put any one down who is not thinking there ways,
Life is very simple but we make it complicated then we try to solve it.
In gurdwaras people are worshing the dead people and worship the idol (book)
One whould try to understand him/ser self. One does not need book or idol.
All the religions want to control people. Religion is needed to begin the journey. It is like child go to school in first grade. He/she have to leave the first grade if he wants to go to 2nd and so one. But most are happy in the first class. They are afraid if they leave the first they will be lost. I say let them be where they r happy.

Who ever understand him self will go far.

Aug 18, 2008
Staten Island, NY
So many interesting people here. I hope you're in that 1% too. Thanks!

Thinkforyourself Ji

Welcome to SPN! Lots of different people here, so please don't feel like there's no room for you, too.

A couple of tips on how to use SPN:

Tip 1. To turn off those emails you're getting, go to the orange bar at the top of the screen (not the one at the VERY top, the next one down a bit) and click on 'Options' (second button in from the right side).

In the next screen, scroll down to the 'Messaging and Notification' section and check your Default Thread Subscription Mode - you might want to change it to 'Do Not Subscribe' and it will stop emailing you every time someone posts something to a thread you've commented on.
Thanks. I will see what happens now!
Tip 2. (and I wish someone had told me this one earlier!) I find the easiest way to use SPN regularly is with the help of the 'New Posts' button - find it two buttons to the left of the 'Options' button mentioned above, or alternatively on the left side when you're on the main SPN homepage (under your own avatar). I like the second method cos it tells you how many new posts since your last visit, and if it's 0 (as it often is for me hitting refresh every 5 minutes hehehe) you don't have to go there at all.

That way you won't miss anything new!

I hope these tips help orient you until you get more familiar with the site. It sure gets busy here sometimes!

Gurfateh
You fellow sista, Ishna
Thanks so much Ishna. I tried the do not subscribe. I'll see what happens

You're young; we'll forgive you. At least I will. I can't speak for T4Y (but I suspect she will, too).
Of course! No offense taken Harry.

Welcome thinkforyourselfji sister,

Do not worry, we are not seeking converts, only dialogue with others from any faith or background to share common views or debate uncommon ones, I also do not believe in a personal God, so you are not alone there, you are also lucky in being able to relate to 99%, I can only manage 99.99%!

I know exactly what you mean. This may sound boring, but I am a sensible person. On another thought,
Is it just me, or is anyone else sick and tired of the word "compassion"? Why doesn't anyone use the word "justice"? I find I just do not have compassion for everyone, nor do I think they derserve it. Now I don't mean your everyday sort of person. People aren't perfect and everyone has their faults, but when I read these horror stories every day and what people get away with, and then to have these loonies standing outside a prison with signs saying how we should be compassionate towards people that do evil. No way, I'm not havin' it!
Although I don't believe in a personal God, I do believe in one. I did not create myself. God is a very hard concept. As soon as you start to describe it, it just slips through your fingers. It's really mind boggling. I used to read a lot of Spinoza, a Dutch Jew from the renaissance era. I am quite fond of his philosophy, although people see him as a pantheist, and they easily could have burned him at the stake . He was ostracized from his Jewish community. He said that God is the only susbstance that exists. We are thought and extensions of him. Einstein said he believed in the God of Spinoza. I don't see Spinoza quite as a pantheist, as that would limit god if he were just everything, things being finite. It's more like we exist in Him. Kind of like an all-encompassing infinity. Total "being". The only thing I strongly disagree with him about is he was a determinist. I believe we are individuals with choices. So I'm still finding my way.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Thinkingforyourself, you are right this maybe wrong site. People here are very quick to put any one down who is not thinking there ways,
- These are just anger driven and generalizations again. Not all fit your comment and that is true at all sites and you will always get a mix of bullies, the meek and the in-betweens.

- I agree with you without qualification. Great observation.

Now we have a generalization that needs to be looked at,
- I don't go to the Gurdwara to worship dead people. I assume you equate showing respect to worship. Did you respect your parents or you worship them? Holding forefathers, the wise that excite you with their thoughts and spirituality is not worship. It is respect.

- Now let us review at worshiping the idol part. It is the same in terms of showing respect. I personally believe that if you have a heart to learn then you got to have some tacit trust in the writer(s) and many a times if what you read or mull over makes sense to you, you develop a sense of respect. There is a cultural and a social part legacy to giving high regards to Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Historically there were not many copies and these used to be handwritten/copied. A way of protecting such was to take extra care through wrapping , display, handling and storage when not in use.
- Taking care of something that excites you, enhances your ability to develop better understanding through discourse about yourself and what surrounds us, and so on, does not mean worship. It may appear as idol to the naked eye or the agnostic but really what part of a service is spent on idol worship. If you attended any congregations you will find that their is recitations, their discourses and so on and that is 99% of one's visit so I don't understand idol worship part.
- Specifically for me I study from a soft copy on my computer and through the following URL,

www.srigranth.org

- Trust me, my computer that has a soft copy of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is not an idol for me.

- I agree with self understanding and the need to do so. Sikhism teaches or encourages that beyond any other message. This is message number one. Again I alread commented on your book/idol comments as I assume you learnt English without ever touching a book!
- Sometimes our sense of disdain gets better of us and I see that a lot in this part of your post.
All the religions want to control people. Religion is needed to begin the journey. It is like child go to school in first grade. He/she have to leave the first grade if he wants to go to 2nd and so one. But most are happy in the first class. They are afraid if they leave the first they will be lost. I say let them be where they r happy.

- Generalization.

- Great statement and nothing to add.
We are all different and that is the beauty of humanity and spice of being.

Sat Sri Akal.

Aug 18, 2008
Staten Island, NY

I don't know about that., I am going to give being on here a try. I have gone the route of the stoic, braving things out for myself most of my life. It doesn't work. Not any more. You have to look behind the books, dogma, etc. I, myself become very resentful when told what to do or think, so I understand where you're coming fron. I will NOT be told what to think in particular. I have come to many conclusions on my own. After being an island unto myself for most of my life, I am finally reaching out to people. You may be too, or you wouldn't still be on here. I don't much care for sappy sentimentalism myself and it particularly annoys me in religions. Did you ever see Bill Maher's Religilous? Very entertaining. But you have to realize that athiests tend to make people who believe in something look stupid. There are all sorts of reasons for believing in something, not just because people need a crutch. It could be as simple as believing in a "First Cause". Well, yest, now science says that isn't true, bla bla bla. There comes a point where they don't know s**t either. I'm certainly not going to wait for them, or Demi-god Stephen Hawking to tell me the secrets of the universe. Let alone solve the puzzle! They don't know, and probably never will. They also tend to make believers seem like they believe in man in a white robe lives in the sky. I think people are beyond that, and it is just to poke fun at others. So, everyone has to find their own way. As for me, I look inward, and think, "is thinking this way really constructive, or making me happy"? If the answer is no, I look elsewhere. I give things a fair trial and if it doesn't work discard it. I will not make scientists or any other human being gods, because they think they know everything. Stick around. You may find this site very helpful. I haven't been on here long, but from what I can see, they seem like a nice bunch of people. Personally I could use some friends!

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Quote In gurdwaras people are worshing the dead people and worship the idol (book)One whould try to understand him/ser self. One does not need book or idol.All the religions want to control people.
Seeker Ji I understand if you feel misunderstood,If someone has been quick to put you down ,don't give up on the site ,one or two people don't represent a whole site , it's not the way you see it though ,there might be some isolated ritual practices but most people do get alot out of going to Gurdwara. I feel these days people control religions more than religion controls people ,, I do sometimes too, any site will have issues but it seems 'they' are ok ,except when they close my threads ofcourse ,but we should have these discussions about forum views on another thread ,start one and we can then make corrections to our individual behaviours.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I don't think religions try to control people. Religions are, after all, belief systems that do nothing of their own accord. The people who run the religions are the would-be controllers. That is one reason that there is supposed to be no clergy and no priests in Sikhi.

I think this might be a good time to bring in the idea of panentheism.

Sometimes Sikhi is described as pantheistic. Really that is only partly true. Sikhi is panentheistic:

Panentheism (from Greek πᾶν (pân) "all"; ἐν (en) "in"; and θεός (theós) "God"; "all-in-God") is a belief system which posits that God personally exists, interpenetrates every part of nature and timelessly extends beyond it. Panentheism is differentiated from pantheism, which holds that God is not a distinct being but is synonymous with the universe.[1]

Simply put, in pantheism, God is the whole; however, in panentheism, the whole is in God. This means that the universe in the first formulation is practically the whole itself. In the second formulation, the universe and God are not ontologically equivalent. In panentheism, God is viewed as the eternal animating force behind the universe. Some versions suggest that the universe is nothing more than the manifest part of God. In some forms of panentheism, the cosmos exists within God, who in turn "pervades" or is "in" the cosmos. While pantheism asserts that God and the universe are coextensive, panentheism claims that God is greater than the universe. In addition, some forms indicate that the universe is contained within God. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism
OK. Wikipedia is generally not the best source, but I found this article excellent.

I hope this will not be regarded as an unnecessary complication. I think it is really necessary and clears up a lot of confusion.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM