• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Are We Not Allowed To Cut Hair When It's Ok To Cut Nails, Since Both Are Created By God?

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Parma ji,

Mr Confused ji,
You are obviously talking about psychiatric issues here. This is a faith based forum. If you are looking for professional help, I would charge. Religious service I would do for free. If you are looking for help on your thesis try somewhere else that is a professional matter.
I did try to dissect you analogy and it was a beautiful reply only when I tried to post it the site would not let me, I just can not be bothrered now, maybe an admin issue you naughty admins!!! I will not reply further, unless it is regarding faith
:interestedsingh:

Well my name is Confused and you could also call me Delirious if you want to, and if you think I am mad, it would not be far from the truth. But do I need professional help? No.

I have absolutely no interest in psychology and I do not think that any psychiatrist can help me. Although my problem is not less than anyone else's, only the gradual development of understanding with regard to the Truth is the remedy for me. And this is a statement reflecting my “faith” / “confidence”!

In reducing what I wrote as being of the field of psychology, this shows that you have not yet understood what I have been talking about. I have been pointing to the mental and physical phenomena that make up human experience which can be seen and related to directly, if conditions permit. Psychology on the other hand, is all about theories based on conventional observation and not on understanding reality.

While what I point to can lead to the direct study of the reality now, and thereby increase one's understanding which will always be an asset, psychology on the other hand seeks simply to replace one story / script with another. The result is only attachment changing objects.

So you see Parma ji, I have in fact been talking about that which is directly related to faith. Only it is probably not the same faith that you are referring to. But we can discuss this if you like. ;- )

Rajwinder

Writer
SPNer
May 2, 2006
I think if we see in this way that there is no mention of 5K's in guru Granth Sahib Ji then at the same time there is no mention of allot of day to day things like should we even wear clothes or not , should cut hairs or not , what all veg should we eat , what all languages we should speak etc ..

My view is that when "rehat maryada" was established then the scholars picked up themes from all the writings and created these 5 K's as symbols of these themes and to keep us reminding of those themes.

We can surely say why these 5 k's and not some thing else , i think if for me atleast this "something else" can be long list with it's own pros and cons , so i think it's correct to have 5 K's.:interestedmunda:

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Rajwinder ji,

I think if we see in this way that there is no mention of 5K's in guru Granth Sahib Ji then at the same time there is no mention of allot of day to day things like should we even wear clothes or not , should cut hairs or not , what all veg should we eat , what all languages we should speak etc ..

My view is that when "rehat maryada" was established then the scholars picked up themes from all the writings and created these 5 K's as symbols of these themes and to keep us reminding of those themes.

We can surely say why these 5 k's and not some thing else , i think if for me atleast this "something else" can be long list with it's own pros and cons , so i think it's correct to have 5 K's.:interestedmunda:

Well that's the point isn’t it? The fact that there is no mention about what clothes to wear, what food to eat, what languages to speak or whether or not one should keep long or short hair is because doing so would be encouraging of attachment to rules and rituals.

Even as an individual if I thought up a symbol, such as 'the sword of wisdom', already this is inviting of attachment and ignorance. Why, because the truth is right here and now to understand or not. If not, even this can be known and would be an instance of some understanding of the truth, plus expression of truthfulness / sincerity. But to think up a symbol with the hope of using it as a reminder, is at that very moment, ignorance of the truth and attachment to a projected aim, also it shows that sincerity is lacking. And from this no good can be expected to follow.

So bad enough when the individual creates his own sets of symbols to hold on to and rules to follow, worse is when in the name of Truth these are created by others and we end up believing in and following them.

There is much talk about ‘nature’ and how letting the hair grow is to be in line with nature. But this is a picture painted as backdrop used to justify doing what one believes in and nothing more. It is a mind created scenario which has nothing to do with the Truth that is right here and right now.

The truth is the truth of this moment. If there is seeing, this is the truth, if it is thinking, then thinking is. This is the “nature” and is what needs to be understood. If anger arises, it is because of nature, and if this is followed immediately by attachment, this too reflects nature. Given this, understanding has to develop “naturally” and therefore to set up rules for this to happen is to be facing exactly in the opposite direction.

Therefore when someone questions following particular rules, let us not make it bad by insisting that he does and / or providing misleading reasons for it. Because that would be discouraging understanding the truth of the moment which arose naturally for him due to conditions. Besides, you can see that this is the way that more acceptances of other people happen.

In other words, to understand who we are is to understand the world / nature in the only way that is possible. Any other way must be that of “thought” and this is not reality / truth. Symbols and rules in the name of Truth must be the product of wrong understanding and this is worse than just being a diversion, it is downright misleading. And I think this is why Guru Nanak was so much against the kind of thing.

In the context of conventional reality where Truth is not being referred to, it is not only fine to have rules, but sometimes even necessary. In the military for example, if there were no rules, the military will not function. I don't have any knowledge about Sikhism, but I remember as a boy having heard that rules were laid out by Guru Gobind Singh for the soldiers who were fighting along his side. This to me sounded like a matter of military discipline, and is fine. But I think it should have ended right there when the situation changed and those Sikhs were not obliged to fight anymore.

It is not really my business to question these things, but I was encouraged by Parma ji’s post who pointed out the some people felt constraint due to not having followed all the rules. And it has been part of my thoughts all along that youngsters who have yet to develop any understanding, will naturally react negatively (this includes when they willingly accept those rules) and thereby accumulate more unwholesome tendencies. And so when drpranavsingh ji wrote what he did, I approved of what he said and felt even more motivated.

Only a small handful of people read the messages here, which means that I can’t really be a threat to anyone. So don't mind what I've written.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
1. The BHANDA is not a "theory"..its FACT and can be read in Gurbani of SGGS. Bhanda is the Pristine Human Body.

2. What Kabir ji said is correct and valid for all time. The Failure is in our own understanding.
Kabir is addressing the RELIGIOUS DUALITY of...Lambeh Kes....vs Gharra Mundaii...

a.) Group of SADHUS/Yogic Practitioners who have to KEEP LONG HAIR in JATT FORM...no cutting/no COMBING/NO OILING/ just coiled on head. These people still exist TODAY and cna be seen in nay Hindu Teerath or even /villages/towns in Ind1a. TO These people this state of LONG UNKEMPT HAIR unwashed for DECADES is a RELIGIOUS DUTY that GUARANTEES MUKTI. ( Sikhisms LONG Hair rule is Totally OPPOSITE of this disgusting practise...a SIKH has been Gifted a COMPULSORY COMB and has been ordered to COMB his long hair TWICE a DAY..keep it nicley oiled/washed/and neatly tied up in a Joora/under a dastaar.)

b.) On the Opposite spectrum there are another group of Sadhus/Yogics/ jains etc..WHO absolutely HATE all hair...so they RUB ASH on their heads and PULL OUT ALL HAIR by the ROOTS....to them THIS is RELIGIOUS REQUIREMENT which GUARANTEES MUKTI. (Gharrar Mundaii)

Just as GURU NANAK JI Sahib has also addressed THESE and many other even MORE BIZARRE RELIGIOUS PRACTISES...( One of the most disgusting ones is passing motion and then turning around covering up ones FACE/Head with a CLOTH...taking a STICK..and POKE around the SH.IT and INHALE the ODOURS arising form the fresh shi.t )..so does Bhagat Kabir Ji address the FUTILITY of such practises.

Sikhi and GURMATT doesnt "Guarantee" any sort of Muktee or spiritual benefits/salvation/rewards etc etc SIMPLY due to either keeping Long hair or cutting it. So those who think that by shaving their beards or visiting the barber for a hair cut makes them any "better" than the sikh who doesnt do that is fooling no one but themselves...NEITHER is with any MERIT..because GURMATT STRESSES PRACTISE of GURBANI....Guru nanak Ji has alredy made it very clear...SHUBH AMALLAN BAJOH...Shubh Amalls come with PRACTISING GURMATT and GURBANI..not via letting ones hair DOWN (either at home or at the barbers)

THIS is the real lesson behind the Bahgat Kabir Tuk quoted above and NOT what the proponents of CUTTING HAIR think it is (Giving them a carte blanche to viist the barber/nai).

Just because a CUT hair person thinks hes BETTER simply due to his short hair...doesn't make it FACT...same goes for a long haired person thinking hes better simply due to the length of his hair....BOTH are FOOLING ONLY THEMSELVES. Spirituality is NOT measured by length of hair or absence or presence of Hair....its whats being PRACTISED...and once that fact is acknowledged..the FAKE arguments against HAIR get flushed down the DRAIN HOLE into the sewage tank ( where they belong)

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Good post showing the 2 extremes that are around with different beliefs for their hair.
Interestingly like the sadhu's that keep hair unwashed, unoiled we also have another group of believers that do this.- The afro carribean Rastafarians-
This rastafarian religion requires that they keep matted hair in the same way as sadhus. The hair goes from shiny to matt if it is not washed or treated for a long time.

Interestingly, I just realised that the Rastafarian movement also respects Lord Shiva since Shiva was famous for making holy the cannabis plant. The sadhus and rastafarians both smoke cannabis as a religious ritual and the rastafarians also get their name from the indian word 'rasta'- the path and 'farian' to walk!!!!

Feb 1, 2010
Very nice reply by Giani Jarnail singh ji. I would like to add that I haven't come across anyone who cuts hair and thinks they are superior to amritdhari sikh. Anyone who respects The 10th masters edict is a jewel. There are many gursikhs who belong in that category and are involved in community service and are an example to the society. There are many others whose claim to fame is writing ludicrous hair theories nd bashing those who cut hair in online forums. Like Giani ji mentioned, hair is a manifestation of a higher spiritual state that comes after merging with almighty when appearence doesn't matter any more to mortal beings. It is not the starting point. You cannot put cart before the horse.

And Kabir ji's tuk is not an excuse by the proponents of cutting hair. Its a simple timeless truth that applies to present day Sikhs as well as it applied to the pakhandi sadhs.

It is up to the Sikhs if they want to preserve the sanctity of gatra and not let it become a synonym for janeu.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
drpranavsingh ji,

This is going to ruffle some feathers, but hopefully it will be useful for some in the long run.

Very nice reply by Giani Jarnail singh ji.

My impression is different. I read the message as an attempt to highlight two extreme practices, making a statement about the intentions of those who cut their hair which they do not have, and trying to make a case for keeping hair.

I would like to add that I haven't come across anyone who cuts hair and thinks they are superior to amritdhari sikh.

And the truth is:
A Sikh who cuts hair does so motivated by attachment and by conceit. A Sikh who maintains hair thinking that it serves some spiritual purpose is motivated by attachment, by conceit and also wrong understanding.

Anyone who respects The 10th masters edict is a jewel. There are many gursikhs who belong in that category and are involved in community service and are an example to the society.

And there are more people involved in the kind of activities who do not believe in any religion at all.

I know that you are highlighting Sewa here. However, it should be noted that in any particular situation while involved in some activity, there are many different motivations involved and mostly negative ones.

One thought of kindness is quickly followed by desire to “do something” and when done, the conceit “I” who does it. Following this, idealistic thoughts are entertained which is expression of more ignorance, attachment and conceit. More importantly however, it usually takes much involvement in “worldly values” to set up an organization with the aim to actualize one’s ideals. And this shows inability to distinguish worldliness from what is the real goal of religion, namely the liberation from the cycle of existence.

There are many others whose claim to fame is writing ludicrous hair theories nd bashing those who cut hair in online forums. Like Giani ji mentioned, hair is a manifestation of a higher spiritual state that comes after merging with almighty when appearence doesn't matter any more to mortal beings. It is not the starting point. You cannot put cart before the horse.

I know that you do not intend this, but to me what you say is misleading. Some people will ignore your latter remark while latching on to the other idea, namely that “hair is a manifestation of a higher spiritual state that comes after merging with almighty when appearence doesn't matter any more to mortal beings”.

How does unconcern about appearance lead to keeping the hair long? Why would someone whose hair was short, after he has come to realize the Truth suddenly stop cutting his hair? If he still bathes, dresses up, makes an effort to eat, speak and move around, why would he suddenly think not to cut his hair? Beside between short or no hair vs. long hair, in terms of hygiene and general convenience, which is better?
Moreover, given the image amongst ignorant people regarding a saint being so much to do with appearance, should one suddenly keep long hair and thereby risk sending out the wrong message?

And Kabir ji's tuk is not an excuse by the proponents of cutting hair. Its a simple timeless truth that applies to present day Sikhs as well as it applied to the pakhandi sadhs.

It is up to the Sikhs if they want to preserve the sanctity of gatra and not let it become a synonym for janeu.

I'm not sure what you are implying, but are you suggesting that a gatra and kirpan have some practical purpose in today's world?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Confused ji wrote:
My impression is different. I read the message as an attempt to highlight two extreme practices, making a statement about the intentions of those who cut their hair which they do not have, and trying to make a case for keeping hair.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width=""> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> I would like to add that I haven't come across anyone who cuts hair and thinks they are superior to amritdhari sikh. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

And the truth is:
A Sikh who cuts hair does so motivated by attachment and by conceit. A Sikh who maintains hair thinking that it serves some spiritual purpose is motivated by attachment, by conceit and also wrong understanding.

IS That the Real "TRUTH" or simply a Made up statement ?? ( as I am accused of making statements Jios ??) How does one JUDGE a "truth" from a "made up statement"...intentions which they DO NOT HAVE ?? How does one KNOW whats in every ones hearts ??..is there a Truth Meter ...and a "made up statement false intentions meter ??

The ONE and ONLY unalterable TRUTH is GURBANI..all others simply state their own OPINIONS....you, me. every poster here...no one has the monopoly on "truth/facts".
I ma 60+ and have been dealing with Sikhs, of all shades sizes, leabnings and all for past decades..locally face to face, internationally abroad face to face and via the Internet ...and thats why my Gmail accounts ( are all FULL to capacity)..and i have first hand accounts of sikhs cutting hair, facing all sorts of problems, etc etc and sikhs who keep full banna ..instant amrtidharees who think they have the world at their feet the moment they step out of Amrit sanskaar Ceremony..etc etc...so i do have a little first hand knowledge of "INTENTIONS"....but i still cannot judge anybody because thats not my job. I have many sikhs among my closest associates who dont keep hair and claim sikhi is INSIDE...and that they are MUCH BETTER than some Full banna amritdharees who cna be seen in discos.bars at weekends..and I agree..it could be..but that could also be that the Full banna guy is much more easily RECOGNISABLE even from across the road..than a cut hair shaved 'sikh" who has sikhi inside and also a jug of beer in his belly..and a lady of the night on his shoulder...no one..not even me..can see INSIDE either...whether its really "SIKHEE" inside or just SICKEE". we come to SPN to LEARN...UN-LEARN...RE-LEARN...24/7..no one is perfect...long har, short hair...balding...lasered..coloured..plucked...whatever.. SHUBH Amallan bajoh DOVEH ROOVEE...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Kirpan ( the gatra is just an instrument to enable the easy wearing of the Kirpaan - just as Dastaar is for the sole purpose of keeping the Kesh Neat and tidy and clean)..is not only PRACTICAL..it has its rightful place among the 5 Kakaars essential for a Amritdharee Khalsa SIKH. To even suggest otherwise is taking too much into ones own hands....This is a PANTH MATTER..not for individuals to decide. No one is forced to wear one...

2. Janeau...is CLASS SPECIFIC...a Brahmin cannot wear a Janeau meant for a SHUDRA..and Vice versa...each varan has its own specific janeau. ( Read up on Hindu sites)
KIRPAN is FOR ALL AMRITDHAREES. The Lowest of the Lowest mazhbee/night soil carrier is authorised to wear a Kirpan the moment he takes Amrit and his Kirpan is the exact SAME as one worn by a son of the Patiala Royal family who chhaks Amrit at the same amrit sanskaar ceremony as the mazhbee. MY Kirpan is the same as the one any other Khalsa wears in any part of the world..
Thus people who love to compare Kirpan to janeau are actually comparing moongee daal to Mangoes......///////?????????/////////????????:happysingh:kaurhug

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Gyani ji,

I consider the opportunity to hear and discuss these things rare. I therefore would like to be as direct as possible.

Confused ji wrote:

Quote: I would like to add that I haven't come across anyone who cuts hair and thinks they are superior to amritdhari sikh.

And the truth is:

IS That the Real "TRUTH" or simply a Made up statement ?? ( as I am accused of making statements Jios ??) How does one JUDGE a "truth" from a "made up statement"

It is a general statement not pointing to particular incidents, but universal truths.

A Sikh who decides to cut his long hair will not have any spiritual reasons for doing so (if there are some unusual exceptions, we should not consider it). It is clear then that he does it with attachment and if connected with some image, there must also be conceit.

A Sikh who maintains hair due to spiritual reasons has wrong understanding, since hair as you have said also, has nothing to do with the ability to develop goodness or wisdom. When there is wrong understanding, there must also be attachment associated with it. But also the very idea of long hair invariable becomes the object of sense attachment especially when there is the kind of wrong understanding. And in thinking that “I have long (or short) hair”, this is clearly an expression of conceit.

Do you disagree with this? If so, what is the reason?

...intentions which they DO NOT HAVE ?? How does one KNOW whats in every ones hearts ??..is there a Truth Meter ...and a "made up statement false intentions meter ??

You had written in your original message:

“Just because a CUT hair person thinks hes BETTER simply due to his short hair”

This I took as projecting a situation not likely to ever happen. If there are rare cases that a Sikh decides to cut his hair thinking that he will be a “better” person in doing so, it must be very rare. But certainly this can’t be taken to represent all those other people who do so simply out of attachment and conceit, can it? On the other hand, Sikhs who keep hair as a religious symbol and who convince themselves by making the association with particular moral qualities, this is very common is it not? Even if they do not in their minds, form an idea regarding why hair must be kept, do they not however feel that in cutting their hair they would be doing wrong?

Do my statements appear to be made up, if so, in what way?

The ONE and ONLY unalterable TRUTH is GURBANI..all others simply state their own OPINIONS....you, me. every poster here...no one has the monopoly on "truth/facts".

And according to your criterion, what you state above is just opinion. Doesn't sound right, does it?
One of us may be right and the other wrong or both are wrong depending on the topic of discussion. Indeed we may both be wrong about everything; however this would be due to conditions and can’t be helped. But to presume that what we say is only opinion, makes pointless any discussion of this sort, I’d think.

Would it not be that you have some level of understanding with regard to the truth that there is some validity in your stating that the Gurbani contains the Truth? Why then suggest that we come in thinking that what we say is only opinion? Why not discuss what is said in order to determine whether or not it is in line with the Truth?

I ma 60+ and have been dealing with Sikhs, of all shades sizes, leabnings and all for past decades..locally face to face, internationally abroad face to face and via the Internet ...and thats why my Gmail accounts ( are all FULL to capacity)..and i have first hand accounts of sikhs cutting hair, facing all sorts of problems, etc etc and sikhs who keep full banna ..instant amrtidharees who think they have the world at their feet the moment they step out of Amrit sanskaar Ceremony..etc etc...so i do have a little first hand knowledge of "INTENTIONS"....

What you describe appears as a case simply of attachment and conceit and is what I had pointed out. But in your original post you had said:

“Just because a CUT hair person thinks hes BETTER simply due to his short hair”

As I said, it appears very unusual this particular line of thought. It may be that this had in fact nothing to do with spiritual aims, but why then compare this with the person who keeps his hair whose reasons include spiritual ones?

but i still cannot judge anybody because thats not my job. I have many sikhs among my closest associates who dont keep hair and claim sikhi is INSIDE...and that they are MUCH BETTER than some Full banna amritdharees who cna be seen in discos.bars at weekends..and I agree..it could be..

It is good to hear that you keep friendship with Sikhs regardless of whether they keep or cut their hair.

but that could also be that the Full banna guy is much more easily RECOGNISABLE even from across the road..than a cut hair shaved 'sikh" who has sikhi inside and also a jug of beer in his belly..and a lady of the night on his shoulder...no one..not even me..can see INSIDE either...whether its really "SIKHEE" inside or just SICKEE". we come to SPN to LEARN...UN-LEARN...RE-LEARN...24/7..no one is perfect...long har, short hair...balding...lasered..coloured..plucked...what ever.. SHUBH Amallan bajoh DOVEH ROOVEE...

It is to be expected that everyone, both young and old, is full of attachment. Going to discos and bars is what young people like to do and if not this, they'd be attached to something else. Not going to discos and drinking does not therefore prove that there is no attachment; indeed there may be attachment to *not doing* these things. So why take the concept of amritdhari so seriously? There appears to be so much unnecessary suppression and guilt involved in the whole thing.

If attachment to sense objects is wrong, point out to the nature of attachment. In highlighting certain aspects and the idea that in being able to avoid these one is on the right track, this easily becomes yet another object of attachment, which means that in the end it serves no purpose at all. Besides which is worse, a person who drinks but knows that it is not good, or someone who does not drink, but not aware of his attachments?

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Gyani ji,

Kirpan ( the gatra is just an instrument to enable the easy wearing of the Kirpaan - just as Dastaar is for the sole purpose of keeping the Kesh Neat and tidy and clean)..is not only PRACTICAL..

But I was questioning the practicality of kirpan, the gatra comes later.

it has its rightful place among the 5 Kakaars essential for a Amritdharee Khalsa SIKH. To even suggest otherwise is taking too much into ones own hands....This is a PANTH MATTER..not for individuals to decide. No one is forced to wear one...

This is a discussion amongst individuals who are interested to find out what is right and what is wrong and no one has to think to change the established rules. As you say, one can decide to follow or not, therefore we discuss the understanding behind the decision either way.

Janeau...is CLASS SPECIFIC...a Brahmin cannot wear a Janeau meant for a SHUDRA..and Vice versa...each varan has its own specific janeau. ( Read up on Hindu sites)
KIRPAN is FOR ALL AMRITDHAREES. The Lowest of the Lowest mazhbee/night soil carrier is authorised to wear a Kirpan the moment he takes Amrit and his Kirpan is the exact SAME as one worn by a son of the Patiala Royal family who chhaks Amrit at the same amrit sanskaar ceremony as the mazhbee. MY Kirpan is the same as the one any other Khalsa wears in any part of the world..

Thanks for your explanation. What you are saying is that the reason for janeau is encouraging of discrimination between people, whereas that of kirpan is not. However the topic of discussion here is about having to have any symbols at all. I say that whatever the reasoning behind it, symbols are symbols and are potential object of attachment, leading away from the possibility of understanding the Truth.

Thus people who love to compare Kirpan to janeau are actually comparing moongee daal to Mangoes......///////?????????/////////????????

The similarity is in that both being symbols, are equally potential object of attachment, ignorance and wrong understanding.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Confused Ji..
i am too much 'attached" to gurbani and sggs...so i cant see what you are attached to..or confused about....apologies..i have to step out of this "confusion" as i dont belong.
Please carry on your line of thought....until maybe there is no more attachment to confusion..

In Gurbani the GURU encourages "attachment"....to HIMSELF..His DHARRA (group)...so I guess i have taken that instruction to heart...sorry.japposatnamwaheguru:

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Gyani ji,

Confused Ji..
i am too much 'attached" to gurbani and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji...so i cant see what you are attached to..or confused about....apologies..i have to step out of this "confusion" as i dont belong.
Please carry on your line of thought....until maybe there is no more attachment to confusion..

In Gurbani the GURU encourages "attachment"....to HIMSELF..His DHARRA (group)...so I guess i have taken that instruction to heart...sorry.japposatnamwaheguru:

One day ten years ago, my wife commented to me that Sikhism is aimed at “understanding”. Up until then, my image regarding Sikh was that it is a religion requiring faith and beliefs not questioned. Her comment therefore aroused curiosity and interest and I was motivated to look for some Sikh discussion list on the web to find out more. On and off I visited a few websites and there was one which consisted of articles written by the author of the website I was somewhat impressed by. But I didn't like the style of expression and preferred more to discuss and later came upon this website.

But here as in other places, my impression has been that although there is much talk regarding the virtue of “wisdom”, when it comes down to it, the general attitude does not reflect this. I see a lot of criticism about the wrong practice of other religion and sects which of course is what happens in discussion lists of other religions as well, including Buddhism. And as it is the case with most Buddhists, Sikhs express attachment to rules and rituals quite a lot. Also there are many Sikhs who often sound like the Hare Rama Hare Krishna people when expressing their love for God. But maybe all this is just due to the fact that very few people really understand. So it may be that what you say about the Guru encouraging “attachment” is perhaps not true…

Anyway, I agree with you that we should drop this particular discussion.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Satnaam Sat Sangat Ji,

In all forms of life, if something has to blossom...you need to look at the 'root' cause of the problem...
unless our next generations are bought up with Simran and Seva as method of feeling at peace along with education, brushing their teeth etc etc...then there will continue to be confusion amongst people.

the problem is that children are being told to keep their hair, but not given the deeper meaning, the power, the divine connection it has because the parents themselves do not know why they have kept their hair...its an endless cycle.

I Pray to god that when i have children that through Gods grace, i can show them the beauty of remembering Veheguru's name and helping and serving his creation...so that my Children in return can also show me where i am going wrong...Gods evolution

When the inner form (pure soul) shines its light though every pore of our being, then our outer form will shine brighter than a thousand suns. and when the world cries for help, i pray that our outer form acts like a lighthouse and that our purity can guide people across the terrifying world ocean.

During my mediations, i have felt energy trickle all over my body including my hair..
these are things you cannot describe to someone when they are focussed on wanting scientific reasoning for keeping their hair. or why we cut our nails. God is your Breath of life...literally, when you start to feel his prescence within you, you will then understand everything you need to know.

Concentrate on your simran to all the confused people...do your scientific research...record your experiences, your obstacles, your feelings every month. You will experience youself evolving that i can promise you :) and then god will tell you himself from within whether you should cut your hair or not or keep your nails, whether you should wear nike or adidas :)

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
All the answers are within us. This is how naam simran can really help us all individually.

With regards to my own hair, I never gave it much thought before,
I have been mona my whole life which just went with my upbringing. I have now not cut my hair for 10 months or so and it's still growing. If I tell someone that I may keep a khes- they just don't for the slightest believe me since I have always been famous for my hairstyles and dress sense.
Non of this matters to me anymore. Since doing simran/meditation I have actually felt an attachment and strength with the keeping of long hair. It's not Samson or anything like that, that i'm talking about. But I somehow realise that there is power/strength whatever you want to call it with maintaing long hair. The thought of cutting it makes me cringe.
I pray to the Lord to give me this continued strength. I hope I can go ahead and keep a khes. It's not anyones suggestion or even any goal that I set. It is basically an attachment to not being attached to hairstyles..etc... I hope I am able to maintain a khes with dignity. At this very moment in time, I am sure, infact I know I am doing the right thing. What happens in a year from now, I can't say, but I can't think of any strong reasons to keep myself as a mona any more. No one except myself have been involved with this choice of not cutting. Maybe it comes automatically when one starts to purify themselves from within, I can't say for sure. But it just seems the most natural and correct thing to do at this moment in my life.
Within us all, we can all determine what is right or wrong, we have had this ability since being little infants. Many of us will say it's just logic, but the answer comes from within us. I may never get this feeling or chance to keep a khes again, so I shall pursue this decision very wisely.
Being a khalsa and within it's image is the perfect example we can set for the young.
Like Chaz ji said, many of us with a khes don't even realise its significance. I am very lucky that I can actually feel it's significance even though i'm mona.
This is all thanks to the almighty creator that pervades everywhere including within us.

Waheguru
Lucky Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
You dont realise the "Feel Good factor"...until you are GURPARSAAD....bottom line. Most have an attachment to their "looks"...thats why they cut and style...or maybe its recommended becasue Guru ji also advises..Paggh chunn chunn ke bandhi...a dastaar should be vaery carefully and neatly tied...and thats attachment too...a lot of Offices require formal dress in office..others say naything goes..its all a matter of choice..

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Satnaam Sat Sangat Ji,

Its a Joy reading all your messages...Sangat is all powerful and enlightening.

The truth is nothing on the outside matters when the inside is rotton to the core.
I wear a turban, i stand out at work, in a crowded railway station...wherever i go.
People assume i am a certain way...but within myself i am filled with Ego and Filth...I can try to fool myself into thinking i am pure and a good person...but the negative aspects exist...i can feel them waiting to pounce on me. If i am making no attempt to purify myself of the 5 thieves...then I am a conman, and of no use to anyone. My outer dress is meaningless.

akhar parr parr bhuleeai bhaekhee bahuth abhimaan ||
Reading their books over and over again, people continue making mistakes; they are so proud of their religious robes. Siree Raag 61

houmai karath bhaekhee nehee jaaniaa ||
Acting in egotism, the Lord is not known, even by wearing religious robes. Raag Gauree 226

baahar bhaekh a(n)thar mal maaeiaa ||
Outwardly, they wear religious robes, but within is the filth of Maya. Raag Gauree

The secret weapon is Simran/Meditation on the Naam of Wahegury Ji. The method with which one can cure all negativity inside them. I am on the path to recovery...I wish all the Sangat would walk down this path with me :)

With Purity, your Souls Light will shine brightly...God will walk with you literally...and he will dress you as he pleases..and your life will truely be under his hukam. People will recognise you from your outer dress, and will be guaranteed to get nothing but un-conditional love from you. they will be speaking to God through you....a pure true khalsa :)

God bless all.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
You dont realise the "Feel Good factor"...until you are GURPARSAAD....bottom line. Most have an attachment to their "looks"...thats why they cut and style...or maybe its recommended becasue Guru ji also advises..Paggh chunn chunn ke bandhi...a dastaar should be vaery carefully and neatly tied...and thats attachment too...a lot of Offices require formal dress in office..others say naything goes..its all a matter of choice..

Attachment is a disease...desire is a disease..

Even the desire to wear a stylish turban so that you look good.
the pride that someone may have in their turban is also a disease.

when this pride and desire and attachement is controled...god will live through us all....It will be God that is tying our turban in the morning, or combing our hair..whether it is Cut or Not. He will keep us as he pleases...

We will be representing God. and he will make sure we are beautifully dressed and changing the lives of the people we meet.

Daily Simran and Seva with the knowledge that you are serving Gods creation is the Key to all ailments :)

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ChazSingh ji sorry you are going over board with your generalizations and end game as for as I think.
Attachment is a disease...desire is a disease..

Calling all these a disease is a disease. Using your brain to be a fine good looking or pretty person example of creation is not a disease. Creator did not give us all so we close our eyes and just chant or do simran. This is a disease of not recognizing the gift of the brain that we are given by the creator.

Daily Simran and Seva with the knowledge that you are serving Gods creation is the Key to all ailments :)
To think you are serving God is a disease. God/creator does not need your service. Living in recognition of the creation all round and doing so in positive consonance is all that is required. Simran is not a pre-requisite to it.
Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
ChazSingh ji sorry you are going over board with your generalizations and end game as for as I think.
Sat Sri Akal.

In Sikhism there does exist a trip switch, a failsafe device designed to kick in to stop Sikhs sitting in mountains with matted hair, it is the diktat that tells us that we must live as householders, as real people, with real feelings, accomplishments, goals, desires.

Chazji, I think you are a fine person, and as stated earlier, your posts always impress me with your devotion, but there is also happiness, joy and pleasure in living as a householder, I have to agree with my Veer Ambarsariaji

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: