• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Doesn't Love Pizza?

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Dear Members,

Beware:

Having recently started part-time work in a pizza shop, I discovered something. A lot of time the people making the pizzas don't wash hands between different pizzas, including between meat and vegetarian pizzas. In fact, they're encouraged not to, as that wastes time. Also, the blade used to cut the pizza into pieces does not get cleaned in between pizzas. Being vegetarian, I try to be as sensitive as possible, wash my hands inbetween, clean the blade etc. but with the pressure of work, its not always possible. But seeing this, I can't eat pizza from shops anymore.
Food prepared by others may not be what it seems.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Dear Members,

Beware:

Having recently started part-time work in a pizza shop, I discovered something. A lot of time the people making the pizzas don't wash hands between different pizzas, including between meat and vegetarian pizzas. In fact, they're encouraged not to, as that wastes time. Also, the blade used to cut the pizza into pieces does not get cleaned in between pizzas. Being vegetarian, I try to be as sensitive as possible, wash my hands inbetween, clean the blade etc. but with the pressure of work, its not always possible. But seeing this, I can't eat pizza from shops anymore.

It is well known fact in India that restaurents which serve Meat and vegetarian dishes even mix meat soup in vegetable and Dal's but still Vegetarian eat dishes in these and say it taste a lot good

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
so the tiniest itsy bitsy "meat" is supposed to have BHITTED the vegetrain daal pizza etc ??
Gurmatt has no such concept at all..its the Muslims that are absolutley PARANOID about such things..in Malaysia PORK PRODUCTS are placed in separate WALLED OFF sections..Muslim cashiers WONT HANDLE even TINNED ham etc..
And of course in restaurants etc..hallal plates..chairs and Tables even...
SCHOOL KIDS CANNOT BRING HOME COOKED FOOD to school in cas it contains non Hallal food and makes the Muslim IMPURE...

Reading this post makes me think that Sikhs are heading THAT WAY too...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Dear Members,

Beware:

I think Gyaniji is being completely correct. The moral of the story is not to get bogged down in the small print, if you do end up swallowing a small piece of animal fat, does it really matter, what is the focus, that tiny bit of fat, or your whole outlook on life. It transfers itself quite nicely into sikhi too, some people ask questions as to whether this is ok, or that is ok, and too often they are irrelevant and silly questions that could be answered by a child, but even I find myself sometimes asking such silly questions, I guess its the need for validation, but we are not a baba led religion, anyone knows as much as everyone could, knowledge is not restrictive, wisdom, to an extent is though, I think for a lot of us, we need to retrain our brain that the creator is not judging us, we are judging us, and our fellow humans are judging us, as are our fellow inhabitants, perhaps we need to cut ourselves some slack and embrace a bit of wisdom to go along with our faith

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Well, eating meat has effects our mental attitude, doesn't it? I've eaten it maybe once, as a kid. So this was news to me and I found it quite disturbing. Never really thought about how vegetarian food was prepared in restaurants which serve both meat and veg. It was enough to deter me but if it doesn't bother others as much, they can expect to enjoy flakes of ham and beef in their pizzas regularly.

And I didn't post this as a massive issue relating to the broader tenants of the Sikh faith, it was just for awareness.... something to think about when we order food from restaurants...

Giani Ji, yes I like to make pizza at home too!

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Also, food prep is a big deal to some people...I recently came across a Sikh who only eats in Sarbloh, and even deemed some langar prepared in Gurdwaras to not be up to standard b/c it was prepared by a radhaswami hired employee and not a Gursikh Sevadar. He didn't want to eat food prepared without naam. Now is THAT is a little paranoid? Even if most kitchens have speakers that play Gurbani from the darbar hall, it wasn't enough for him.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Well, eating meat has effects our mental attitude, doesn't it? I've eaten it maybe once, as a kid. So this was news to me and I found it quite disturbing. Never really thought about how vegetarian food was prepared in restaurants which serve both meat and veg. It was enough to deter me but if it doesn't bother others as much, they can expect to enjoy flakes of ham and beef in their pizzas regularly.

And I didn't post this as a massive issue relating to the broader tenants of the Sikh faith, it was just for awareness.... something to think about when we order food from restaurants...

Giani Ji, yes I like to make pizza at home too!

It is Hindu/Jain theory that Eating meat affect our mental attitude.Most of the scientific inventions were done by white's which were ravenous meat eaters .Christians Like mother teresa did selfless sewa and I don't think she was vegetarian ,so where is the proof that Eating meat affect our mental attitude

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
So Sikhs should not be vegetarian? The most recent explanation I heard for being vegetarian was that this body is not a graveyard for dead animals. And the mental attitude thing is something I've heard from people who do Katha, that upon consuming animal flesh, your mind degenerates, becomes lower... on a moral level? Not to mention, that a lot energy and resources go into making meat available for people to eat.

I don't doubt that Mother Teresa did lots of selfless seva... but is that an indication that everyone should abandon everything they follow and become just like her? Everyone would be Christian.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
So Sikhs should not be vegetarian? The most recent explanation I heard for being vegetarian was that this body is not a graveyard for dead animals. And the mental attitude thing is something I've heard from people who do Katha, that upon consuming animal flesh, your mind degenerates, becomes lower... on a moral level? Not to mention, that a lot energy and resources go into making meat available for people to eat.

I don't doubt that Mother Teresa did lots of selfless seva... but is that an indication that everyone should abandon everything they follow and become just like her? Everyone would be Christian.

There are already many threads on this issue on SPN ,nothing wrong being veggie but If you want to give argument in favour of it then please back them with Gurbani ,Sikh history or some solid scientific reasearch.

As far examples of Western scientists or mother Teresa is concerned that is just to refute your point that meat affect mental attitude ,not to say that we all should embrace Christianity

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Yes, I know theres a lot of information on being vegetarian or not. I'm happy being vegetarian for the reasons I mentioned above, not looking to argue my way for it. I personally believe consuming it probably DOES have some effect mentally...that's why, along with intoxicants, consuming flesh is banned. And I don't know what it feels like being Mother Teresa, or any other person, only she could have known about her mental attitude and made here decisions about food, lifestyle etc. accordingly.

What I wrote was just for awareness, for those who are vegetarian. To be aware and question food preparation outside of the home.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Yes, I know theres a lot of information on being vegetarian or not. I'm happy being vegetarian for the reasons I mentioned above, not looking to argue my way for it. I personally believe consuming it probably DOES have some effect mentally...that's why, along with intoxicants, consuming flesh is banned. And I don't know what it feels like being Mother Teresa, or any other person, only she could have known about her mental attitude and made here decisions about food, lifestyle etc. accordingly.

What I wrote was just for awareness, for those who are vegetarian. To be aware and question food preparation outside of the home.

Nothing against being vegetarian but consuming intoxicants is banned not flesh

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Not sure of the proper term, but the 4 kureits (?), things a baptised Sikh is forbidden from: cutting hair, adultery, intoxicants/drugs, eating meat.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Not sure of the proper term, but the 4 kureits (?), things a baptised Sikh is forbidden from: cutting hair, adultery, intoxicants/drugs, eating meat.

Here is the official Rehat maryada of Akal takhat

The undermentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided

1. Dishonouring the hair;
2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
3. Cohabiting with a person other than one's spouse;
4. Using tobacco.

http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_six.html

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.sikhs.org/meat.htm
Final Ruling from Akal Takht

The Akal Takht represents the final authority on controversial issues concerning the Sikh Panth, in this regard the issue of meat eating has been settled. Hukamnama issued by Akal Takht Jathedar Sandhu Singh Bhaura dated February 15th 1980 that Amritdhari Sikhs can eat meat as long as it is jhatka meat and that eating meat does not go against the code of conduct, Kurehit, of the Sikhs. Thus a Sikh cannot be excommunicated for eating meat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Only some sikh sects have vegetarianism in their maryada,it is notb the official position of Sikhism

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
1. Mother Theresa...?? Read the Book.."Missionary Position" by Christopher Hitchins isbn 976-1-85984-054-2....Lays all that so called seflless service baloney bare.( Actually knew that all long as Mother Theresa was involved in a lengthy struggle with Bahgat Pooran Singh Pingalwara to take some 200 sikh orphans to Calcutta..and that exposed her intentions way abck then...but reading this hialriously mean book confirmed...it all..MT was a BABA cultist same a sso many we have such as mann pehova !!)

2. GURBANI DOES NOT ENTER any Food/water/even the Human Mind...via "speakers" or microphones in Gurdwaras....in that case GURBANI deserves the MOST EXPENSIVE SOUND EQUIPMENT like BOSE etc that money can buy for each and every Gurdwara...becasue only a "fool" carries DIAMONDS such as Crown jewels of the UK in a faded jeans pocket ??
SGGS is much much much more valuable to be relayed via cheapskate speakers !!!
But Jokes aside GURBANI is for PRACTISING...PRACTISING..and MORE PRACTISING ONLY. Otherwise....on arriving at the Sach Khand Gates ( actually no such exist in Gurmatt but just as an illustration)..a SIKH might find himslef behind a large que of..old discarded GUrdwara Speakers, amplifiers, carpets, rummalhs etc etc that actually HEARD WAY MORE "GURBANI" than any SIKH !! ALL these "objects" would be more ELIGIBLE to enter the Perlay gates of sach Khand based on .."amount of Gurbani heard "..ha ha ha Sach Khand would be bursting full of such things..a virtual JUNK YARD of Gurbani CDS dvds etc ??? Can any SIKH claim he heard more Gurbani than the Microphones/speakers at NANAKSAR where there are more than 500 Simultaneous Akhand Paaths hed every YEAR !! OF course the Speakers win Hands down..they have FORCIBLY Had THOUSANDS of HOURS of Akhand Paath gurbani rleayed through their CIRCUITS blasting 24/7 !! what about the Speakers at Darbar sahib Amrtisar ?? have they heard more Gurbani or YOU ??
Sometimes I ma AMAZED at how ridiculous we sikhs are turning into...such a Nice PRACTICAL Gurmatt way of Life Guru ji gave us FREE..and we waste time in Utterly frivilous pursuits...some new titles come to mind.."Amplifier SAHIB..Speaker sahib..ATTa Gunnhan walli Machine sahib..Water cooler sahib..Tava sahib..Karrah Parshaad sahib...added to those already in vogue..Palki sahib..Chaur sahib..Nishan sahib...shall we..??:whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dear Members,

Beware:

Thanks Navdeep88 ji

I am really shocked to read your report.

We need also to ask whether even 10 percent of the discussion has addressed Navdeep ji's original point above. For example: How did this become yet one more discussion about meat versus veg?

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
1. Mother Theresa...?? Read the Book.."Missionary Position" by Christopher Hitchins isbn 976-1-85984-054-2....Lays all that so called seflless service baloney bare.( Actually knew that all long as Mother Theresa was involved in a lengthy struggle with Bahgat Pooran Singh Pingalwara to take some 200 sikh orphans to Calcutta..and that exposed her intentions way abck then...but reading this hialriously mean book confirmed...it all..MT was a BABA cultist same a sso many we have such as mann pehova !!)

2. GURBANI DOES NOT ENTER any Food/water/even the Human Mind...via "speakers" or microphones in Gurdwaras....in that case GURBANI deserves the MOST EXPENSIVE SOUND EQUIPMENT like BOSE etc that money can buy for each and every Gurdwara...becasue only a "fool" carries DIAMONDS such as Crown jewels of the UK in a faded jeans pocket ??
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is much much much more valuable to be relayed via cheapskate speakers !!!
But Jokes aside GURBANI is for PRACTISING...PRACTISING..and MORE PRACTISING ONLY. Otherwise....on arriving at the Sach Khand Gates ( actually no such exist in Gurmatt but just as an illustration)..a SIKH might find himslef behind a large que of..old discarded GUrdwara Speakers, amplifiers, carpets, rummalhs etc etc that actually HEARD WAY MORE "GURBANI" than any SIKH !! ALL these "objects" would be more ELIGIBLE to enter the Perlay gates of sach Khand based on .."amount of Gurbani heard "..ha ha ha Sach Khand would be bursting full of such things..a virtual JUNK YARD of Gurbani CDS dvds etc ??? Can any SIKH claim he heard more Gurbani than the Microphones/speakers at NANAKSAR where there are more than 500 Simultaneous Akhand Paaths hed every YEAR !! OF course the Speakers win Hands down..they have FORCIBLY Had THOUSANDS of HOURS of Akhand Paath gurbani rleayed through their CIRCUITS blasting 24/7 !! what about the Speakers at Darbar sahib Amrtisar ?? have they heard more Gurbani or YOU ??
Sometimes I ma AMAZED at how ridiculous we sikhs are turning into...such a Nice PRACTICAL Gurmatt way of Life Guru ji gave us FREE..and we waste time in Utterly frivilous pursuits...some new titles come to mind.."Amplifier SAHIB..Speaker sahib..ATTa Gunnhan walli Machine sahib..Water cooler sahib..Tava sahib..Karrah Parshaad sahib...added to those already in vogue..Palki sahib..Chaur sahib..Nishan sahib...shall we..??:whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing::whatzpointsing:

Spnadmin Ji,

Yes, it wasn't really something I paid much attention to before. But even at restaurants like "subway", where they use gloves, they don't always change them unless you ask. I guess, to the extent that a person can be knowledgeable and prevent from eating meat, why not?

Giani Ji,

I have several question:
-When deg is being prepared, is it important for the Sevadar to jap naam? Is langar different?
-What about Jal? Water you get from Gurdwaras?
-Since you have much much more exposure to these things, what would you say to the Gursikh I encountered, the one who didn't even deem langar properly prepared? The solution I had offered to him didn't have anything to do with the speakers themselves, but his concern was the atmosphere it was prepared in. Since Gurbani is heard in the kitchen via the speakers, sometimes the bibis making parshadas jap naam, I thought it would be enough.

I'm not saying theres some magical power in food, or we should rely on that solely. But it is something that goes into our body, it does have some effect. Just like the things you hear, the things you see... I'm assuming most people do practice some discretion in what they choose to surround themselves with. These things do have some significance.

-Also, I've often seen a "Jot", a lit deva at my local Gurdwara. What role do elements like fire or water have in Sikh spiritual practice?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM