• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Are The Gurus?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Khivi: A Pious Lady
blank.gif
blank.gif

pic14.jpg
Mata Khivi was noble soul and reveled in serving her Master and his Sikhs. She toiled lovingly in the Guru-Ka-Langar, and served the Guru's disciple with utmost courtesy and joy. The Guru-Ka-Langar in her hands was a source of unlimited bounty and the harbinger of a new social consciousness.​

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Mata Khivi
blank.gif
blank.gif

pic13.jpg
Despite the fact that Mata Khivi (d. 1582 CE) was wife of Guru Angad Dev, she rendered service in utmost humility. She used to supervise the Langar and serve food with her own hands, which was always available to everyone.​
Mata Ji toiled lovingly in Guru - ka - langar and served Guru Angad Dev Ji's disciples with utmost humility and joy.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Supporting The Supportless
blank.gif
blank.gif

pic12.jpg
The first duty Guru Angad Dev performed after his morning devotions and listening to Kirtan - singing the Glory, of God - in the congregation, was to tend the sick and succour the needy. His healing touch and loving Compassion relieved many of their pains and distresses.

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
Awesome pics begum ji !! Thanks

If Bhagat Dhana could find Guru in a stone, whats wrong with these pics...
All know where true Guru resides.
Better let the guru find us, who knows where the true Guru reside. I know I'm totally contradicting myself but what does this mind know of him.

nmo nmo nmo nmo nmo net net hai....

Gur Satgur ka jo sikh akhae so bhalke udh har naam thiawe
udam kare bhalke parbhate ishnaan kare amritsar naawe
updes guru har har jap jape sab kilbikh paap dokh leh jaawe

din charhe diwas gur bani gaawe behndea udhdean har naam thiawe
jo saas giras thiawe mera har har so gursikh guru mann bhawe

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Family is the basic structure and unit in Sikhism. It is a strong and noble Sikh institution. Family was most important to all the Gurus who preached life of a householder rather than of renunciation. The Gurus believed that the family must procreate and continue the existence of the society. The family has economic and educational functions to perform so that family life becomes smooth and happy.
[SIZE=-1]Sikhism teaches the followers to build a social structure on the basis of universal brotherhood, love for each other, equality, fraternity and Sarbat-Da-Bhala. It believes in individual as well as collective prosperity. It preaches that the human beings are sons and daughters of the same universal father (God). All of them have the same aim of realizing the ultimate Reality. Human race is one.[/SIZE]
Sikhism recommends an active life in which family has a great role to play. Life of a householder is the best institution to fulfill the Sikh ideal of contributing to the development of the human society. Here the children learn to know the individual as well as the corporate Code of Sikh Conduct through this institution.
Family in Sikhism is a training school for social, cultural, political and spiritual makeup. It is a training school for Seva and charity.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Dal singh ji

Begum ji has put what i wanted to explain as best.

You wanted answers to what to do to improve "sikh Qoum" or whatever is your idea....

here are the answers..

Make sure your children grow up to be good sikhs and educated, responsible, patriotic citizens

this would solve all the problems

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
What does Gurmat say about helping yourself flourish and creating feelings of personal well-being by mending family enstrangement ?

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Dear all and Begum Jee!

These paintings are good but under the wrong heading. Not any face in the paintings represents the True Gurus.

Children's mind is like the empty photo film. A snap on that remains for always. On the spiritual development a presumed imagination hinders.

Painters existed during the Guru's time too, but they never encouraged any painting of them.

The topic is 'Who are the gurus?' The paintings give the impression that these are the True Gurus. Those are only the imaginations of a painter though.

Balbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Begum

You make others do more khoj on Gurbani and as a result, you are helping them, me too.

This is actually happening to me too. More and more reading and thinking. I am finding Balbir's questions almost perfect for the socratic method of analyzing a problem. We may come to different conclusions, but we are also moving away from rigid mind-sets.

But keep the pictures up. They are good for big kids like me.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Let's discuss the pros and cons of art and pictures in Sikh history and its impact on future generations.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
in my opinion,

pictures paintings are artistic expression

only the one who clicked those or painted those understands what went through their mind..

rest all are chicanery critics or stupid admirers

coming to impact on religion

if we help our kids grow up from childhood to grasp the abstract, it would be great

but it is not always possible.

let's come to grasps with it..

why do we tell sakhis of bravery to kids...

1. to give them role models and to help them understand underlying message
2. but we also in averdently give them a sense of pride

as long as we are able to limit it to first it should be fine

but pride creeps in ... Sikhi is better than others....or we have "more" sacrifices.... we are the bravest....

these feelings actually hamper spiritual growth..

let us ponder how to deliver the message but not the attachments...

as i said before...

your best contribution to world could actually be raising kids who are better than you.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
But why is a picture hindrance to the spiritual growth. Even if it is a wrong picture, how does it act as a hindrance ?

Why then thinking of Guru Granth sahib as guru himself in body not a spiritual hindrance?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
A Gurmukh Is Always Humble
blank.gif
blank.gif

pic18.jpg
Datu (b. 1537 AD), son of Guru Angad Dev, considered himself to be the claimant of 'Gurgaddi', which he however could not ascend to. Deeply frustrated, Datu struck Guru Amar Das with his foot when he was seated on 'Gurgaddi.' With a rare display of sweetness and humility, the Guru kept seated on the 'Gurgaddi' and did not utter a word of anguish. Rather, he observed, "Your foot must have been hurt by my hard bones." Guru Sahib did not act by way of coercion but displayed his compassion.​

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Faith
blank.gif
blank.gif

pic19.jpg
Bhai Paro Paramhans went daily from Dalla (Sultanpur, Doaba) to pay his respects to Guru Amar Das, come what may, storm or rain. The Nawab of Jalandhar, Abdullah, marveled at his determination and forbearance when he saw Bhai Paro crossing Beas even when it was in heavy floods. The Guru was so pleased that he was inclined to make him his successor. Bhai Paro said in all humility, 'For me it is a great honor to be the Guru's devotee.'

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I collect pictures of Guru Nanaak. He is always smiling. Can you imagine, even when times were hard? Sometimes I have a sense almost of his vibration across time. Actually the pictures are not about worship and idolatry -- but just something to ponder and to fix my reflections on all sorts of things. They have a calming effect.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: