• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
Sat sri akal everyone!

I have a question that has been bothering me for quite a while.
Why do these white sikhs in the us, but also in europe wear white clothes and white turbans? Has it something to do with kundalini yoga, cause I´ve seen them wearing white too.

Beyond that... another question. Why do people who converted to sikhism wear punjabi-style clothes? I mean isn´t it enough to just wear a turban?
I suspect that this outfit (I don´t know what they´re called in punjabi) is more a cultural indian thing and doesn´t necessarely have something to do with sikhi.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
svea00 ji

It was this exact question that led me to Sikhism! The same question!

I could not figure out why kundalini yoga teachers wore white clothing and turbans - men and women. So I asked my sister who is very proficient in yoga the question. She did not know but knew a kundalini yoga teacher in another town. The answer came back - the kundalini yoga teachers wear turbans to look like authority figures.

This sounded ridiculous! I thought -- but they also talk a lot about Yogi Bhajan, and follow Yogi Bhajan, who looked like a Sikh to me. But I wasn't sure at the time. So I googled "Yogi Bhajan Sikh Religion" and low-and-behold the Sikhnet web site popped into view.

That is when I got hooked on Gurbani and kirtaan. In about a month I knew that I had to be a Sikh -- nothing would get in my way.

The answer is "white" Sikhs and also Sikhs "of color" who are followers of Yogi Bhajan are 3HO Sikhs. They often wear white. Not always. They always wear turbans. But they also wear everyday city clothes and even traditional clothes from the Punjab and other parts of India.

There are also "white" Sikhs and Sikhs "of color" who are not born into Sikhism and who convert, but do not follow 3HO. There are a few of us here on the forum.

I think most Sikhs, in the US and Europe, converts or not converts, 3HO or not 3HO, wear a variety of clothing. I bought my very first salwar kameez 2 weeks ago. Because it is more comfortable when praying.

You are a mind reader.

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
aad0002 ji!
There are also "white" Sikhs and Sikhs "of color" who are not born into Sikhism and who convert, but do not follow 3HO. There are a few of us here on the forum.
I think you have one more :)

You are a mind reader.
I do what I can :wink:

But why do they wear white? Are there special symbolical reasons for that. It looks a bit like a uniform to me.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
aad0002 ji!

I think you have one more :)

I do what I can :wink:

But why do they wear white? Are there special symbolical reasons for that. It looks a bit like a uniform to me.

svea Ji,

Whatever the reason, In white they do look good.
Yogi Bhajan only wanted to spread Yoga, Sikhi just came along by force:up:. (my understanding)

SIKHI IS ENTERING INTO MANY LIVES THROUGH BACK DOORS.

White color is worn by many in India also as a symbol of peace. My father, when he became Amrit Dhari, he always wore white afterwards. I dont, he never suggested or forced me either.

Apr 4, 2007
Sat sri akal everyone!

I have a question that has been bothering me for quite a while.
Why do these white sikhs in the us, but also in europe wear white clothes and white turbans? Has it something to do with kundalini yoga, cause I´ve seen them wearing white too.

Beyond that... another question. Why do people who converted to sikhism wear punjabi-style clothes? I mean isn´t it enough to just wear a turban?
I suspect that this outfit (I don´t know what they´re called in punjabi) is more a cultural indian thing and doesn´t necessarely have something to do with sikhi.

yes followers of Yogi Bhajan often wear white (not all of them do, and not all of them are caucasian/white).

from the 3HO website:

As recommended, many wear white clothing, which is a combination of all colors (spin a color wheel and see white)! White enhances the aura and strengthens the magnetic field. Being in this environment offers participants a chance to experience this aspect of the technology. Because of this, you will see a lot of people wearing turbans and white clothing.

ok as to the question, why do many sikh converts wear salwar kameeze (and yes, it is punjabi clothing, and has a lot to do with Sikh history... it was invented by Sikhs so that the women could ride horses into battle like the men! - riding in a sari is very difficult. :) )...

i can only answer for myself. there are several reasons that i prefer punjabi suits. first, it's the most comfortable piece of clothing ever invented. :) second, it's one of the only pieces of clothing that is comfortable when wearing kashera. third, one is less likely to attract unnecessary attention at the Gurdwara if one dresses appropriately. fourth, when you wear a suit, you always have a dupatta handy to cover your head (if you don't wear a turban or patka), fifth, one can "dress up" for functions in a salwar suit without having to worry about whether one's clothing is too revealing, or wearing a skirt (pantyhose and kashera don't really work well together. ;)).

i still wear jeans sometimes, but honestly, i prefer to wear suits mainly for comfort reasons.

and i'm one of those non-3HO white converts who wears extremely colourful suits... especially in keseri or any shade of blue. :D i only own one white suit and i almost never wear it. white gets dirty so easily! :D

Apr 4, 2007
oh! one more thing... i know a couple young white women who were born in 3HO sikh families... and they tend to wear normal western clothes and colourful dastaars. so i think the "all white" thing may only be the yoga crowd.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<< it was invented by Sikhs so that the women could ride horses into battle like the men! - riding in a sari is very difficult>>

sorry to break you myth

Shalwaar is a turkish dress and came through Turk influence to punjab

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
White signifies death.

I remember my conversation with Sant Singh Ji Maskeen about White Color.

In his views: White signifies color for the DEATH OF I-NESS.

This color reminds the wearer to be clean like white color- no I /ME/MINE- All is HE/Him/His.

Apr 4, 2007
<< it was invented by Sikhs so that the women could ride horses into battle like the men! - riding in a sari is very difficult>>

sorry to break you myth

Shalwaar is a turkish dress and came through Turk influence to punjab

i thought the turkish shalwar was men's dress? i had read that it was adopted by sikh women for ease of riding horses.

oh well, consider me educated. :)

Apr 4, 2007
White signifies death.

I remember my conversation with Sant Singh Ji Maskeen about White Color.

In his views: White signifies color for the DEATH OF I-NESS.

This color reminds the wearer to be clean like white color- no I /ME/MINE- All is HE/Him/His.

i think i read this in regards to turban colours...

but everytime i wear a white dastaar people ask me if i have a head injury... :confused:

svea00

SPN Sewadaar
SPNer
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks Jasleen Ji!

Now I know.
I can understand that these clothes are very comfy. Wear sometimes wide pants and long wide koftas myself, more western style because these are quite in here in Sweden at the time.
I agree with the other reason too, though I don´t know what it´s like wearing a kashera.

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
Hi, I'm a "white sikh" but i'm not of the "3HO/Yogi Bhajan/Yoga" path either, I've never been to America much less espinola New Mexico. By VAHEGURU'S i found sikhi on my own nearly 25 years ago. I wear turbans various colours usually black or blue and even white turbans and being an irishman i have a green turban but that only comes out once a year for st patricks nite, I wear the punjabi clothing/bana/shalmar and kameeze not only to identify myself as a sikh and to other sikhs but also because they are so comfortable particularly in hot stick weather.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It does not matter what is the color of your clothes. White Sikhs or 3HO wear white clothes because they believe that white reflects all the colors of the Universe and that this has spiritual significance. But if you take a look at the 3HO blogs and sikhnet photos you will see that 3HO Sikhs wear a variety of clothing at home, on the go and at gurdwara. They wear a lot of India inspired colors and fabrics, jeans, tees, and also beautifully crafted and colorful US designs. Comfort of clothing was an important consideration of Yogi Bhajan which has persisted.

Sat Nam, Not 3HO either. Just your mild-mannered forum corresdpondent reporting about the 3HO scene. :D

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM