When was Jup banee written?

Mike20222022

SPNer
Apr 13, 2022
I searched and searched and found different answers:
- some claim it was written when Guru Nanak appeared after three days in the river and God uttered these words to him.
- osho claims that this was Guru Nanak’s first bani
- others claims it was Guru Nanak’s last bani
- it was written over his life at various times and places and then he compiled it together when settling in Kartarpur.
- Bhai Lehna ji compiled it from Guru Nanak’s bani, added his Shalok at the end and guru Nanak approved it.

So, what is the correct answer and proof?
Thx

Harichan1771

SPNer
Jun 3, 2022
I searched and searched and found different answers:
- some claim it was written when Guru Nanak appeared after three days in the river and God uttered these words to him.
- osho claims that this was Guru Nanak’s first bani
- others claims it was Guru Nanak’s last bani
- it was written over his life at various times and places and then he compiled it together when settling in Kartarpur.
- Bhai Lehna ji compiled it from Guru Nanak’s bani, added his Shalok at the end and guru Nanak approved it.

So, what is the correct answer and proof?
Thx
I don't want to sound rude, but what will you gain after learning behind the history of this bani. Will anything change based on 400+ years old events which are difficult to prove when each claim is backed by some proofs.
I feel that there are many things which are debatable in sikhism which can continue endlessly but one thing is for sure that bani is true.
Thank you!

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
It's a great question - I hope someone with knowledge replies.

My understanding is that Guru Nanak wrote Japji last, because it's a summary of his teaching that he spent a lifetime refining. But I have no evidence for it. I'm just repeating what I heard, and it makes sense to me.

I think there's value in asking questions like this because it can help understand the Gurbani.

Mike20222022

SPNer
Apr 13, 2022
I don't want to sound rude, but what will you gain after learning behind the history of this bani. Will anything change based on 400+ years old events which are difficult to prove when each claim is backed by some proofs.
I feel that there are many things which are debatable in sikhism which can continue endlessly but one thing is for sure that bani is true.
Thank you!
what’s your issue with asking this basic question? If we can’t answer a basic question about our most important bani, what would give confidence about rest of GGS?
What if someone claimed that Guru Nanak never existed and gave some proof, would you ignore to debate it because it is 400 years old?

And your only response is “Bani is true”. What does that even mean? Today is Saturday and it is true. Is that what you mean?

Last edited:

Harichan1771

SPNer
Jun 3, 2022
what’s your issue with asking this basic question? If we can’t answer a basic question about our most important bani, what would give confidence about rest of GGS?
What if someone claimed that Guru Nanak never existed and gave some proof, would you ignore to debate it because it is 400 years old?

And your only response is “Bani is true”. What does that even mean? Today is Saturday and it is true. Is that what you mean?
Debating on events which were not recorded accurately will cause fuss among our people which will be quite useless. One can follow any explanation which satisfies themselves but these things will never be able to resolve. One must rely on thier common sense. Santokh singh and likes of him have already taken the opportunity tu be a disgrace to our gurus and SGGS by providing manmat stories about our history. What more damage do we expect by questioning historical "facts" which are difficult to prove!!

MEET SPN ON YOUR MOBILES (TAP)