• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Whats That Pain Between Eyebrows When Meditating?

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
If he is a force then we should be able to measure it but we can't, so he doesn't exist for now, so Guru's were talking about an Imaginary friend in Sri GGS ji right?

Do you realise 'He', 'Force', 'God' are just attributes we humans assign to the Waheguru, Sikhi belives the attributeless Waheguru cannot be reduced to attributes. In fact, Waheguru is the 'whole', the start and end of all creation.

Building an unnecessary wall between Sikhi and Science would either belittle Science or Sikhi, which would be unfortunate.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I guess Guruji is not discouraging us to learn. He is telling us to shun the outside of 'scriptures, rituals, Dehdharis, False Gods' and realise the God which resides 'inside'. How exactly that translates to solely meditation and concentrating between the eyes is a thing I am yet to understand.

Surely, Guru Granth Sahib does not explain techniques of meditation, they have to learnt from the 'outside' of books, Yoga teachers, friends etc.

no one is building walls between science and religion :)

i added a link to a book which gives details and quotes from gurbani of this inner seeking...

please read it...

i do not know if it explains the whole truth...but there is only one way to find out..

it would be good to know your thoughts on the book..

Thank you ji.

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Do you realise 'He', 'Force', 'God' are just attributes we humans assign to the Waheguru, Sikhi belives the attributeless Waheguru cannot be reduced to attributes. In fact, Waheguru is the 'whole', the start and end of all creation.

Building an unnecessary wall between Sikhi and Science would either belittle Science or Sikhi, which would be unfortunate.

According to Sikhism he is the cause of everything without him nothing would even move everything goes according to his will and we have to understand and accept the Hukam.

There are things that science never will be able to proof god is one of them.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
There are things that science never will be able to proof god is one of them.

Well, if God were knowable, he wouldn't be God, no? Science is nothing but a compilation of what we know about things that are knowable.

But if someone were to tell me they could 'know' God by closing eyes for a few minutes and focussing on something, that would be absurd too. The bottomline is, meditation may heal psychological disorders, free your mind, relieve stress....but it does not translate to 'searching God within ourselves'.

PS- No Science vs Meditation debates please....if they continue, you will have to do without my participation....:D

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
this is a sikh philosphy forum...so instead of just mocking other members who are trying to ascertain how to seek god within...please give your opinions on how you think this should be done...

and if you think it cannot be done by the methods we describe and we are looking in the wrong location...please come out with Gurbani quotes as to where we can look instead...

this is a sikh philosophy forum :) so be helpful in the pursuit of God Realisation and Self realisation...

Actions my friend. We have been through this before ( Here: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/42331-what-is-naam.html )
On that thread, you posted this wonderful Shabadh (appears on page 351 of GGS)

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ
आसा महला १ ॥
Āsā mėhlā 1.
Aasaa, First Mehl:
ਕਰਮ ਕਰਤੂਤਿ ਬੇਲਿ ਬਿਸਥਾਰੀ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਫਲੁ ਹੂਆ
करम करतूति बेलि बिसथारी राम नामु फलु हूआ ॥
Karam karṯūṯ bel bisthārī rām nām fal hū▫ā.
The vine of good actions and character has spread out, and it bears the fruit of the Lord's Name.
ਤਿਸੁ ਰੂਪੁ ਰੇਖ ਅਨਾਹਦੁ ਵਾਜੈ ਸਬਦੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਕੀਆ ॥੧॥

तिसु रूपु न रेख अनाहदु वाजै सबदु निरंजनि कीआ ॥१॥
Ŧis rūp na rekẖ anāhaḏ vājai sabaḏ niranjan kī▫ā. ||1||
The Name has no form or outline; it vibrates with the unstruck Sound Current; through the Word of the Shabad, the Immaculate Lord is revealed. ||1||
ਕਰੇ ਵਖਿਆਣੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਜੇ ਕੋਈ
करे वखिआणु जाणै जे कोई ॥
Kare vakẖi▫āṇ jāṇai je ko▫ī.
One can speak on this only when he knows it.
ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਸੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
अम्रितु पीवै सोई ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Amriṯ pīvai so▫ī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
He alone drinks in the Ambrosial Nectar. ||1||Pause||
ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੀਆ ਸੇ ਮਸਤ ਭਏ ਹੈ ਤੂਟੇ ਬੰਧਨ ਫਾਹੇ

जिन्ह पीआ से मसत भए है तूटे बंधन फाहे ॥
Jinĥ pī▫ā se masaṯ bẖa▫e hai ṯūte banḏẖan fāhe.
Those who drink it in are enraptured; their bonds and shackles are cut away.
ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮਾਣੀ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਤਾ ਛੋਡੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੇ ਲਾਹੇ ॥੨॥
जोती जोति समाणी भीतरि ता छोडे माइआ के लाहे ॥२॥
Joṯī joṯ samāṇī bẖīṯar ṯā cẖẖode mā▫i▫ā ke lāhe. ||2||
When one's light blends into the Divine Light, then the desire for Maya is ended. ||2||
ਸਰਬ ਜੋਤਿ ਰੂਪੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਦੇਖਿਆ ਸਗਲ ਭਵਨ ਤੇਰੀ ਮਾਇਆ
सरब जोति रूपु तेरा देखिआ सगल भवन तेरी माइआ ॥
Sarab joṯ rūp ṯerā ḏekẖi▫ā sagal bẖavan ṯerī mā▫i▫ā.
Among all lights, I behold Your Form; all the worlds are Your Maya.
ਰਾਰੈ ਰੂਪਿ ਨਿਰਾਲਮੁ ਬੈਠਾ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇ ਵਿਚਿ ਛਾਇਆ ॥੩॥
रारै रूपि निरालमु बैठा नदरि करे विचि छाइआ ॥३॥
Rārai rūp nirālam baiṯẖā naḏar kare vicẖ cẖẖā▫i▫ā. ||3||
Among the tumults and forms, He sits in serene detachment; He bestows His Glance of Grace upon those who are engrossed in the illusion. ||3||
ਬੀਣਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਵਜਾਵੈ ਜੋਗੀ ਦਰਸਨਿ ਰੂਪਿ ਅਪਾਰਾ
बीणा सबदु वजावै जोगी दरसनि रूपि अपारा ॥
Bīṇā sabaḏ vajāvai jogī ḏarsan rūp apārā.
The Yogi who plays on the instrument of the Shabad gains the Blessed Vision of the Infinitely Beautiful Lord.
ਸਬਦਿ ਅਨਾਹਦਿ ਸੋ ਸਹੁ ਰਾਤਾ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਕਹੈ ਵਿਚਾਰਾ ॥੪॥੮॥
सबदि अनाहदि सो सहु राता नानकु कहै विचारा ॥४॥८॥
Sabaḏ anāhaḏ so saho rāṯā Nānak kahai vicẖārā. ||4||8||
He, the Lord, is immersed in the Unstruck Shabad of the Word, says Nanak, the humble and meek. ||4||8||

Moreover, Gurbani says that by the Hukam the True Lord comes to abide in the mind. You cannot find Him on your own, no matter how hard you look. This isn't a game of hide and seek. By our actions, we are given the Hukam.

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
I just want to ask the thread starter and other people here that what is your objective of meditation and what do you really do when you do meditate ?
do you just become thoughtless and try focusing on the present or something like contemplating the Guru's Shabad and then kind of self analyze yourself where you do stand in accordance with the Guru's Shabad and the TRUTH?
or maybe something else ?

Thank you

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
I just want to ask the thread starter and other people here that what is your objective of meditation and what do you really do when you do meditate ?
do you just become thoughtless and try focusing on the present or something like contemplating the Guru's Shabad and then kind of self analyze yourself where you do stand in accordance with the Guru's Shabad and the TRUTH?
or maybe something else ?

Thank you

When I meditate I do become thoughtless I do that by concentrating on a word or by concentrating on my breathing. When I'm done meditating my mind is free from all the eartly thing, which gives me beter insight of myself. It feels like that I'm the third person(not literally) who is viewing the world. It's like a moment that I feel that I'm my true self. It's like an moment when I'm thinking beyond the world and it's affairs.

arshdeep88 ji , it's very hard to explain how I feel that moment. It's like an experience from which you learn about your true self.

If someone would ask me if you get a beter person by just meditating, then I don't think so, it sure does help, however it's your deeds that will make you a beter person. Meditation clears your mind and makes you super conscious you are well aware of the illusion.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Well, if God were knowable, he wouldn't be God, no? Science is nothing but a compilation of what we know about things that are knowable.

But if someone were to tell me they could 'know' God by closing eyes for a few minutes and focussing on something, that would be absurd too. The bottomline is, meditation may heal psychological disorders, free your mind, relieve stress....but it does not translate to 'searching God within ourselves'.

PS- No Science vs Meditation debates please....if they continue, you will have to do without my participation....:D

Aristotle ji

please take the time to read the book I posted earlier...it explains a lot and gives gurbani examples to back those explanations...

rather than just reducing these efforts to just 'closing eyes' and concentrating' on something...at least try to understand the reasoning and underlying principle...even just for your own research...

I think it will help our discussions my good friend

modern science suggests the whole universe is vibrating...gurbani says the shabad is resonating through everything...the shabad creates...sustains and destroys...the shabad is in us also...the great gurus who attuned to this primal sounds wrote these word vibrations sound of god in sri guru granth. Guru ji says through deep contemplation we can come to know this primal sound...and through which experience god...

jesus said...in the beginning was the word...the word/vibration/sound was with god...the word was god..

guru ji is inspiring us to look within to regain awarsness of this anhad naad (unstruck sound current)...

This is beyond just closing eyes and concentrating on something. That which we contemplate on (guru granth) is not just something..it is said to be a manifestation of the primal sound and it i aparrently can assist us to become aware of the sound current within...

this maybe nuts...might be crazy...but I like the fact gurbani says we can explore this ourselves. Guess I and others will find out one day if its hocus pocus or true :) so far through my own experience, my doubts about guru ji are vanishing day by day...but this is subjective...

Read it if you get a chance...even if you dont agree with it I think you will find it intersting for your research

god bless ji

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Yesterday, I was again more busy trying to NOT strain my eyes then actually meditating.

I think I got used to straining my eyes in the past during meditation, that it now sometimes goes automatically.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Yesterday, I was again more busy trying to NOT strain my eyes then actually meditating.

I think I got used to straining my eyes in the past during meditation, that it now sometimes goes automatically.

The actual straining of the eyes will start to reduce as you continue with your Simran...

When someone first starts to lift weights at the Gym, muscles are painfully soar for several days after...

this soreness though gets less as the muscles get used to the weight you are lifting :)

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
The actual straining of the eyes will start to reduce as you continue with your Simran...

When someone first starts to lift weights at the Gym, muscles are painfully soar for several days after...

this soreness though gets less as the muscles get used to the weight you are lifting :)

Thanks, I think that I'm a little impatient :p

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Is it just me, or have we exhausted all discussion with regard to the pain between the eyebrows during meditation topic?

my wife is able to hold one eye still, whilst moving around the other...she freaks out my nephews!

i gave myself a headache whilst trying to do the same...a big foool i am (in my wifes own words)

:)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM