• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Wrong With Halal Now?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
If today one can give argument against then halal then the other 3 kurehits can also be easily challenged .Khalsa was banned from consuming halal ,there are several arguments why they were but no one knows the exact reason

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Kds Ji

There maybe physical side effects related to the other kurehits so they are a little different and not really a defiant gesture and more to do with healthy living.No disrespect meant to the Rehat, but I question manmade conventions, due to men like us being fallible .

Ajuni

(previously sikhipyar)
SPNer
Aug 22, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Sat Sri Akal my friends,

I was under the understanding that Sikhi does not consume halal meat because of the way it is slaughtered. That the throat of the animal is slit and the animal is still alive and drained of its blood, which to me seems a tad inhumane...(personally)

Isn't the meaning of jhatka meat, that the meat is slaughtered in one direct blow, so that the animal is not alive and it does not suffer.

Is this correct?

Sat Sri Akal:happykudi:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kds Ji

There maybe physical side effects related to the other kurehits so they are a little different and not really a defiant gesture and more to do with healthy living.No disrespect meant to the Rehat, but I question manmade conventions, due to men like us being fallible .

How they are different.the beleif that uncut hair are not important is becoming more and more popular .I don't see any physical side for keeping uncut hair

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Sinner Ji, thanks for continuing the discussion.

I'll put myself out there with this one.

1. The reasons for non-consumption of halal for me outweight the reasons to consume it. Even if I wasn't a Sikh, I would still be wary of eating something processed according to another religion's rites.

2. Keeping the prohibition against halal reinforces community identity. It feels good to do what the rest of your group is doing, and support the reasons for doing so. As long as you don't follow blindly.

3. It is a constant reminder to be vigilant against oppression.

4. If you take Sikhi and SGGS on the philosophical level only, no one would become Khalsa, you couldn't tell the difference between a Sikh and a non-Sikh, and Sikhi dies as a vibrant living religion. The ceremonies and traditions Sikhs have now largely come from the community itself and from history. If you take all the Sikhs off the planet today, wipe out the history, give SGGS to some curious onlooker, they won't be wearing turbans, they will eat anything they want, they'll cut their hair, but they'll still get up for amrit vela!

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Isna bhen Ji
I have some muslim friends and it always puzzled me if it's ok for those kind souls why is it not ok for me.I look at everything for universal maxims.Like thou shall not Steal. Anything that divides us I tend to overlook .They are adopting something in the name of religion and we are rejecting it in the name of religion. Hopefully Kfc is not kurehit but if the devil was to offer me a 10 pce bucket, I might not ask if it is Jhatka ,the question I would ask is how many legs!

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
If non halal is ok for us, why isn't it ok for them? The argument goes both ways and given the evidence I see, I would personally choose the method of least cruelty. But that takes us away from the problem of halal for Sikhs today and into the realm of personal human choice.

When it comes to division, insisting all animals be slaughtered the Islamic way regardless of the society seems not divisive but conquoring. Allowing all to chose their own method of slaughter is better. And for Sikhs, we choose not to kill our animals in the name of god, or in a method which has been commanded by god or else we sin against god. We just kill it!

If we all gave up, we'd all be eating halal, no choice.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Aurengzeb gave all these "arguments" in order to convince Guru Teg bahadur Ji to CONVERT. He said..How Nice IF ALL united and there was only 1 religion for all Indians...Guru Ji told him..now there are 2 - Islam and Hinduism..after I am dead..there will be 3 !!! (Sikhism !!)
SIKHISM has always stood for FREEDOM of CHOICE..and Guru Arjun Ji and Guru Teg baahdur Ji gave their LIVES for this FREEDOM to worship the way we like.
This is Valid for all time and in all countries....Sikh bows to NO ONE !! except Akal Purakh.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Gyani Ji

A Sikh should bow to all mankind but bend for none then he is a real Sikh.

Dear Spn Admin

Seriously humans are mammals ,the rehat says anything killed with a swift stroke is ok, so we are allowed to eat eachother, according to our Rehat.

There was merit in the Guru's rejection under threat of death, they defied their rulers ,what punishment are the Sikhs today facing by rejecting it?In 500 years moss has grown on our religion, slowly,slowly, like it grows on my roof .Either Halal and Jhatka are both wrong or both right , as logically what is right for one soul must be right for another.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Annie Ji

Damn I forgot about the ram ,thanks for correcting me,I still feel the rejection by Sikhs was a symbolic gesture in rejection of the imposition of the ruling classes set of values on the ruled.The oppresion was our enemy, not Halal perhaps, but just a theory of course!

I disagree. The rejection was not just of the ruling classes but a rejection of a way of thinking-that food has anything to do with God and this is still valid. It was a rejection of the symbolism in the Halal process and this is still valid. It is also a rejection of the inequality inherent in the process of producing halal as only certain people are allowed to partake in the slaughter ritual-this is still valid.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
As has been previously said, the SRM doesn't specify jhatka for a Sikh. A Sikh can technically eat anything they want as long as it's not halal. The discerning Sikh will read and absorb Gurbani and learn that moderation is good, and that some foods are more appropriate than others (stick to simple diet, don't eat too much sugar, etc). I don't know about you but I've got a long way to go with all that yet!!!

On the other hand, I was talking to a colleague some time ago about obsessive compulsive disorders and the ritualistic behaviours that go along with it. My colleague explained to me that it's more difficult to eradicate a behaviour - it's easier to replace one behaviour with another. Now I'm not saying Sikhs, Hindus or Muslims have OCD (not saying anything about wudu, hehehe, just kidding), but when you come from a history of there being ritual and rules around food, it may have been difficult for some people to just abandon a food-related behaviour, so jhatka was encouraged as an alternative, perhaps? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Dear Way ji and Isna Ji

Thnakyou for atleast being interested in my mad questions and sorry for the delay in responding, I was fixing my roof.I find it helps to do some practical stuff during holidays and philosophy inbetween.I must admit it's nice to engage with my fellow Sikhs, even if I lose most of the time, as we have not discoursed Way Ji let me try to dig myself out of my self made hole.What I meant to say that we have made it a prescribed or approved thing and so as there is there no instruction in gurmat it must be ritual ,tradition or convention to eat jhatka.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I do think the thread has run its course. Two points repeated over at least 2 pages:

1. Jatkha is not mandated for Sikhs.
2. Animal cruelty is not relevant to this discussion.
3. Religions differ in the importance they place on the consumption of meat, and its method of slaughter.... because they are different religions.

If we cannot add to the current content, the thread needs to be closed. Please read beyond the last 2 or so comments to review what has already been stated. Thank you

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
ANYONE can do "Jhatka"...muslim..christian..hindu..sinner or saint !! its STILL JHATKA....but NOT for Hallal...i CANT do "hallal" although i can shout Allah hu Akbar just as loud as my muslim neighbour...???? ONLY a Certified MUSLIM can make a dead cow Hallal !!
This is a very important POINT sinner ji....BUT....on the human scale...its the opposite..he he...while everyone can be a "sinner"only some can be SAINTS !! Ha ha

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Spnadmin I think you are right and thanks for your understanding and clarification.I now intend to be vegetarian on Mondays and Tuesdays and will eat Jhatka on Wednesdays and Thursdays I will fast Friday to Sunday. But does anyone think I might be spending too much time on dietary habit and have forgotten religion is the enterprise of the soul.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
ANYONE can do "Jhatka"...muslim..christian..hindu..sinner or saint !! its STILL JHATKA....but NOT for Hallal...i CANT do "hallal" although i can shout Allah hu Akbar just as loud as my muslim neighbour...???? ONLY a Certified MUSLIM can make a dead cow Hallal !!
This is a very important POINT sinner ji....BUT....on the human scale...its the opposite..he he...while everyone can be a "sinner"only some can be SAINTS !! Ha ha

Very good point a very large number of Jhatka butchers are lower caste Hindu's.
If you leave Religion out of slaughter method then almost every kind of meat is jhatka

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
  • Any Moslem having reached puberty is allowed to slaughter after saying the name of Allah and facing Makkah (Mecca).
  • The animal should not be thirsty at slaughter time.
  • The knife must be sharp, to minimize the time and hence save the animal pain associated with the slaughtering process.
  • The knife must not be sharpened in front of the animal because it may cause undue stress to that animal
  • The slaughter is to be done by cutting the throat of the animal or by piercing the hollow of the throat, causing the quickest death with the least amount of pain.
  • The name of Allah has to be mentioned before or during slaughtering, since the Creator is the granter and taker of life; the name must be said by a member of the Moslem faith.
  • Meat slaughtered by people of the Jewish or Christian faith (People of the Book) may also be eaten.
  • The blood must be completely drawn from the carcass.

Quran: Surah 6:121.
Eat not of (meats)
On which Allah’s name
Hath not been pronounced:
That would be impiety
But the evil ones
Ever inspire their friends
To contend with you
If ye were to obey the
Ye would indeed be Pagans

Saud Twaigery and Diana Spillman, An Introduction to Moslem Dietary Laws, Food Technology, February, 1989

After all is said and done, if halal meat is not available to muslims, then they may eat non halal meat.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Quran: Surah 6:121.
Eat not of (meats)
On which Allah’s name
Hath not been pronounced:

If were a muslim I would interpret that stanza as reminding me to say grace or be grateful for what I eat even couldn't they just pronounce Allah before eating a meal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: