• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is 'True Destiny" In Sikhism?

Aug 28, 2010
re: What is 'True Destiny" in Sikhism?

BHAGAT SINGH Ji,
Pl look this Sabad for the Real Reference of the word SANT as

ਟੋਡੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਆਇਓ ਸਰਣਿ ਤੁਹਾਰੀ ॥ ਮਿਲੈ ਸੂਖੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਰਿ ਸੋਭਾ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਲਾਹਿ ਹਮਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਅਵਰ ਨ ਸੂਝੈ ਦੂਜੀ ਠਾਹਰ ਹਾਰਿ ਪਰਿਓ ਤਉ ਦੁਆਰੀ ॥ ਲੇਖਾ ਛੋਡਿ ਅਲੇਖੈ ਛੂਟਹ ਹਮ ਨਿਰਗੁਨ ਲੇਹੁ ਉਬਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਸਦ ਬਖਸਿੰਦੁ ਸਦਾ ਮਿਹਰਵਾਨਾ ਸਭਨਾ ਦੇਇ ਅਧਾਰੀ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਸੰਤ ਪਾਛੈ ਪਰਿਓ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਇਹ ਬਾਰੀ ॥੨॥੪॥੯॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 713
---------------------------------

Now it is important to understand after which SANT,NANAK DAAS is there?

Prakash.S.Bagga

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Well Guru Arjan Dev ji did follow Guru/Sant Ramdas ji. He was his best student even and got Gurgaddi.

Any other references that might highlight what you say more closely?

Aug 28, 2010

Well Guru Arjan Dev ji did follow Guru/Sant Ramdas ji. He was his best student even and got Gurgaddi.

Any other references that might highlight what you say more closely?

One more sabad for your reference
ਗਉੜੀ ਗੁਆਰੇਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਦਰਸਨਿ ਅਗਨਿ ਨਿਵਾਰੀ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭੇਟਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੀ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੰਗਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਮਨੁ ਡੋਲੈ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੋਲੈ ॥੧॥ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਜਾ ਸਚ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਤੇ ॥ ਸੀਤਲ ਸਾਤਿ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜਾਤੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜਪੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਗਾਉ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਸਗਲ ਦੁਖ ਮਿਟੇ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਬੰਧਨ ਤੇ ਛੁਟੇ ॥੨॥ ਸੰਤ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੇ ਮਿਟੇ ਮੋਹ ਭਰਮ ॥ ਸਾਧ ਰੇਣ ਮਜਨ ਸਭਿ ਧਰਮ ॥ ਸਾਧ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ ਦਇਆਲ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ॥ ਸਾਧਾ ਮਹਿ ਇਹ ਹਮਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁ ॥੩॥ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਿਧਿ ਕਿਰਪਾਲ ਧਿਆਵਉ ॥ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਤਾ ਬੈਠਣੁ ਪਾਵਉ ॥ ਮੋਹਿ ਨਿਰਗੁਣ ਕਉ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਕੀਨੀ ਦਇਆ ॥ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਇਆ ॥੪॥੨੨॥੯੧॥

In this Sabad the reference for the words SANT and SADH is GuR/SATiGuR.(CREATOR), not any person/persons.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010

Now I am ok with someone saying Guru Granth Sahib ji is all you need to attain enlightenment. I think seeing, listening to enlightened beings can also help

BHAGAT SINGH Ji,
Once you are enlightened thru SGGS I am sure you would not like to see any one else
second to this.

Prakash.s,Bagga

Aug 28, 2010

Prakash ji,
Ok Brahmgyani is another. I can use that.

So give us some examples of usage of 'Sant' in Guru Granth Sahib.

ਦੇਵਗੰਧਾਰੀ ੫ ॥ ਸਰਬ ਸੁਖਾ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਨਾ ॥ ਕਲਿਮਲ ਡਾਰਨ ਮਨਹਿ ਸਧਾਰਨ ਇਹ ਆਸਰ ਮੋਹਿ ਤਰਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਪੂਜਾ ਅਰਚਾ ਸੇਵਾ ਬੰਦਨ ਇਹੈ ਟਹਲ ਮੋਹਿ ਕਰਨਾ ॥ ਬਿਗਸੈ ਮਨੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਪਰਗਾਸਾ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਨ ਗਰਭੈ ਪਰਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਸਫਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਪਰਸਉ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਇਹੈ ਧਿਆਨਾ ਧਰਨਾ ॥ ਭਇਓ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੁ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਪਰਿਓ ਸਾਧ ਕੀ ਸਰਨਾ ॥੨॥੧੬॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 531

Pl observe is the word SANTAN in this Sabad for "enlightened persons"?

Prakash.S.Bagga

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Once you are enlightened thru Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji I am sure you would not like to see any one else
second to this.
Prakash ji,
This has not been my experience. Before I was enlightened I would listen to spiritual teachers whenever I had time, some of whom I have posted in the last page. They gave a lot of insights into reality that I found really useful back then.

Even now I still enjoy listening to them, because I can meditate more easily in their presence, and I can relate to them on a deep level.

ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜਪੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਉ ॥ etc
So the blessing of a Sant is that you recite Hari's name. This is pretty definitive. Sant is a God-oriented individual in whose company we learn to meditate. <- This is entirely consistent with my experience.

Now you could have said that a Sant (man) is One with God and so when he blesses us, God Himself blesses us the ability to ਜਪੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਉ. But you don't seem to be saying this.

Now in the second shabad it says Santan, which the dictionary translates as plural of Sant. Is it plural of Sant or like the phrase Hari Jan?

Aug 28, 2010

Prakash ji,
This has not been my experience. Before I was enlightened I would listen to spiritual teachers whenever I had time, some of whom I have posted in the last page. They gave a lot of insights into reality that I found really useful back then.

Even now I still enjoy listening to them, because I can meditate more easily in their presence, and I can relate to them on a deep level.

So the blessing of a Sant is that you recite Hari's name. This is pretty definitive. Sant is a God-oriented individual in whose company we learn to meditate. <- This is entirely consistent with my experience.

Now you could have said that a Sant (man) is One with God and so when he blesses us, God Himself blesses us the ability to ਜਪੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਉ. But you don't seem to be saying this.

Now in the second shabad it says Santan, which the dictionary translates as plural of Sant. Is it plural of Sant or like the phrase Hari Jan?

As I understand from your views that for understanding the teachings of GuRu
one is required to listen to the teachings of SANT?SANTS as person /Persons.

I might differ on this as I have yet to come across any person/persons
who is capable of giving the teachings of TRue GuRu /SatiGuRu-Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

I would rather prefer the company of person.persons like you and others with similar outlook only interested in
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji contemplation.
Prakash.s.Bagga

Oct 18, 2012

destiny in sikhism is beyond 3 gunas maya, where there is no ego, no time, no duality, no speeches exist, only listening, and that home is true Such Khand, no male or females exist here.. here we will realise the meaning of ONE ness with the whole creation..we does not make our destiny where there is ego, and duality.. thanks

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I seem to have mistyped a web address and found a Hindu Philosophy website!

Karma, good deeds going into next lives, Fate all very interesting

I always thought the Sikh view was to align ones will with the will of Creator, why else would there be terms such as Manmukh and Gurmukh

Just wanted to bump this forward from 4 pages back. I too thought our true destiny was to become Gurmukh (perhaps realize that is within us) with the grace of the Guru.

p/s What was the Hindu Philosophy site you found by accident? Have been looking for a site with some reliable information about karma, reincarnation and other concepts per Hindu philosophy.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
destiny in sikhism is beyond 3 gunas maya, where there is no ego, no time, no duality, no speeches exist, only listening, and that home is true Such Khand, no male or females exist here.. here we will realise the meaning of ONE ness with the whole creation..we does not make our destiny where there is ego, and duality.. thanks

We shouldn't make it sound so confusing and a near impossible task as you have mentioned above!
Although there is nothing incorrect with what you have mentioned, but we have to be able to handle them rather than crossing them off a list one by one.
You see duality and ego's have to be recognized and handled. You can't just make them vanish.
LIVING whilst being SUBMERGED in the world maya illusion is what Guru Ji tells us in many shabads.
We can NOT just deny the world and surroundings, but we can 'Try' to strip away our ego and recognize all dualities.

When this starts to happen then comes the ''REALISATION''.
This 'Realisation' is the true destiny, because then there isn't any me or him. It ALL becomes HIM.
We start to see, feel and live by ALWAYS knowing that it is just him and there is no me or you.

Sure, or surroundings help contribute to our weaknesses, But this is what it is all about. God hasn't put us here for fun and surrounded us with 'anti-God' things to see the mess we get in!!
He has put us here amongst everything so that we can eventually realise that it is ALL ONE.

Working towards this 'true realisation' is the goal and destiny in my opinion.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Just wanted to bump this forward from 4 pages back. I too thought our true destiny was to become Gurmukh (perhaps realize that is within us) with the grace of the Guru.

p/s What was the Hindu Philosophy site you found by accident? Have been looking for a site with some reliable information about karma, reincarnation and other concepts per Hindu philosophy.

Sorry thats my sarcasm again

I just feel that it is tempting to look for meaning in reincarnation, food, external facets, personality restrictions, superstitions, et al, and ignore simply living the way we were intented to be. As far as I know Sikhism is the only religion that focuses more on the one life we have on this earth, the consequences of, and the spiritual rewards available, all before we die.

In my view that is much more satisfying, productive, and wisdom inducing than raising the kundalini to the tenth gate.

As I am on a re read of Herman Hesse's work, an excellent quote on meditation.

What is meditation?... It is fleeing from the self, it is a short escape of the agony of being a self, it is a short numbing of the senses against the pain and the pointlessness of life. The same escape, the same short numbing is what the driver of an ox-cart finds in the inn, drinking a few bowls of rice wine or fermented coconut-milk.”

Herman Hesse, Siddartha

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sorry thats my sarcasm again

:happykudi: Oh, I heard the sarcasm! But could not resist a little of my own...

I just feel that it is tempting to look for meaning in reincarnation, food, external facets, personality restrictions, superstitions, et al, and ignore simply living the way we were intented to be. As far as I know Sikhism is the only religion that focuses more on the one life we have on this earth, the consequences of, and the spiritual rewards available, all before we die.

In my own experience, Sikhism is harder because it expects "less" but that road of simplicity is paved with miles of personal discipline that I have yet to cover.

In my view that is much more satisfying, productive, and wisdom inducing than raising the kundalini to the tenth gate.

As I am on a re read of Herman Hesse's work, an excellent quote on meditation.

What is meditation?... It is fleeing from the self, it is a short escape of the agony of being a self, it is a short numbing of the senses against the pain and the pointlessness of life. The same escape, the same short numbing is what the driver of an ox-cart finds in the inn, drinking a few bowls of rice wine or fermented coconut-milk.”

Herman Hesse, Siddartha

Thanks for thinking of the quote and posting it here. It echos what has been my own nagging suspicion for years.. Fleeing not only from the self, but ironically also fleeing from everyone else and what is one's ethical obligation to self and other. I would not and do not achieve any sense of inner peace from numbing my awareness. In a fleeting moment, I might just be able to manage one more small thing for one other life as small as my own even if it is nothing more than a smile on someone's sad day.

Ok, enough of that. I continue my project of trying to find a rocking Hindu site where there is stored reliable and accurate information about Hinduism. Maybe now you can see what I was getting at earlier.:whatzpointkudi:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
305383_506905889340994_217684492_n.jpg
NO COMMENTS NECESSARY..LOL

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM