• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is The Goal Of Sikhi?

Aug 28, 2010
I agree that ten scientist can give ten different answres to a question.In the matter of TRUTH there is only One GurU giving the answer for the question under consideration.
And this GuRU is SABADu. We have to understand the answer of this GuRU.Once we understand this the answer is certainly going to be ONE.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Is the purpose of Sikhism to inculcate divinity or is the aim merely to become proficient in the doctrine of Sikhism?
<FONT size=3>Personally I would exchange alot of religious study, for a brief realization of the Infinite. The aim of Sikhism after all is to purify the mind and enlighten one self.<?"urn:
P><P><FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri>

Sikhi is a way of life professing the essence of God realisation through work, charity and nam simran, kirit kar, vand shuk aur nam jap . We are social beings, which means life is to be lived in harmonious relationships of all sorts. Put away theory and thought and live a virtueous life. The purpose is clearly defined by Baba Nanak - jeevat mariya bhavjal taria. That is not to say, surrender everything in life and become a model Sikh, but once having discharged worldly obligations find and meet the "god within". Guru Arjan Dev Ji puts it beautifully -Bhai parapat manukh de hariya, Gobind milan ki eh teri bariya.....avar kaj tera kita na kam, mil sad sangat bhaj keval nam

Through "true love" and devotion is the "self" found - jin prem kiya tin he prab pahyo - the purpose is to find it so that we don't have to come back to the 84 lakh.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Original ji thank you for your post.

I have one comment below,
Sikhi is a way of life professing the essence of God realisation through work, charity and nam simran, kirit kar, vand shuk aur nam jap .

What you say is the essence of Sikhism. One area where there is lot of confusion in understanding, preachings and practices is the following,

• nam simran ......... nam jap
    • I believe this to be understand the creator and creation with the help of our Gurus teachings and Gurbani
    • Many a times I have seen this replaced by "Waheguru Waheguru" or disco singing, I do not believe that either our Gurus or Gurbani teaches us that.
    • For me it is insulting to our Gurus and all their efforts if it is devoid of a greater effort in understanding Creator and creation and then living in consonance with this understanding and the creation around us.
Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Sinner ji perhaps not totally right use on my part. The following is what I had in mind,

‪Krishan Sudama Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Ji (Dhadrian Wale) Part 1‬‏ - YouTube

‪Krishan Sudama Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Ji (Dhadrian Wale) Part 2‬‏ - YouTube
(at time 2 minutes in Part 2, says close eyes while cutting and pasting shabad tuks)

This is entertainment, good tunes and is reserved for outside of Gurdwaras as you are confusing what is Bani and what is your own stuff. It is already hard enough for common people to be described or get in touch with Gurbani, this just creates that divide even bigger. Perhaps some do get something out of it, but for me it is just tunes.

• Might as well classify such as concerts then these may have some value, where people will know where they are going versus thinking it is Gurbani or shabads, etc.

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I wrote this in my Facebook....
From my friend..Inderjeet Singh..a TRUE LESSON..in Naam simran :ਮੇਰੇ ਘਰ ਇਕ "ਡਾਬਰ ਮੈਨ " ਕੁੱਤਾ ਹੈ ।ਮੇਰੀ ਮੋਟਰ ਸਾਇਕਲ ਜਾਂ ਕਾਰ ਦਾ ਦਾ ਹਾਰਨ ਘਟੋ ਘਟ 100 ਮੀਟਰ ਤੋਂ ਵੀ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਸੁਨਾਈ ਦੇ ਜਾਵੇ, ਤੇ ਉਹ ਛੱਜੇ ਤੇ ਆਕੇ ਖਲੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।ਤੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਘਰ ਵਿਚ ਵੜਨ ਤਕ ਉਹ ਅਪਣੀ ਪੰਛ ਹਿਲਾਂਦਾ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ , ਜਦੋਂ ਤਕ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਤੇ ਹੱਥ ਫੇਰ ਕੇ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਪਿਆਰ ਨਾਂ ਕਰਾਂ।
ਮੇਰੇ ਆਉਣ ਦਾ ਕੋਈ ਟਾਈਮ ਨਹੀ ਲੇਕਿਨ ਹਾਰਨ ਉਹ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਵਾਰ ਵਜਦਿਆ ਹੀ ਕੰਨ ਖੜੇ ਕਰਕੇ ਛੱਜੇ ਤੇ ਆ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।ਉਸ ਦੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਮੇਰੇ ਪਿਆਰ ਤੇ ਵਫਾਦਾਰੀ ਕਰਕੇ ਉਹ ਮੈਨੂੰ "ਸਿਮਰਦਾ" (ਯਾਦ ਕਰਦਾ ) ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ।ਸਿੱਖਾ ਨੂੰ "ਸਿਮਰਨ" ਦਾ ਸਹੀ ਮਾਇਨਾਂ ਇਸ ਕੂਕਰ ਕੋਲੋਂ ਸਿਖਣਾਂ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ ਕੇ "ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਕਹਿੰਦੇ ਨੇ (ਹਰ ਵੇਲੇ ਅਪਣੇ ਮਾਲਿਕ ਦਾ ਧਿਆਣ ਲਗਾ ਰਹਿਨਾਂ ਹੀ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਹੈ)।ਉਹ ਮੈਨੂਮਹਰ ਵੇਲੇ ,ਪਲ ਪਲ ਸਿਮਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਇਸ ਦਾ ਇਹ ਸਬੂਤ ਹੈ ਕੇ ਉਹ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਹਾਰਨ ਦੀ ਅਵਾਜ ਨੂੰ ਹੀ ਸੁਣ ਲੈਦਾ ਹੈ। ਜੇ ਉਸ ਦਾ ਧਿਆਨ ਹਰ ਵੇਲੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਵਲ ਨਾਂ ਹੋਵੇ ਤੇ ਉਹ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਹਾਰਨ ਦੀ ਅਵਾਜ ਇਗਨੋਰ ਵੀ ਕਰ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ। ਉਹ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਨ ਵੇਲੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੀਆ ਝੂਮ ਝੂਮ ਕੇ ਕੂਕਾਂ ਨਹੀ ਮਾਰਦਾ)।ਉਹ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਅਪਣੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਵਸਾਕੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਵਲ ਧਿਆਨ ਰਖਦਾ ਹੈ।
ਜੇ ਕੋਈ ਬਿਲੀ ਜਾ ਗੁਆਡੀ ਮੇਰੇ ਘਰ ਦੇ ਛਤ ਤੇ ਆ ਜਾਵੇ ਤੇ ਉਹ ਫੌਰਨ ਭੌਕਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਵੇਖੇ ਪਤਾ ਲਗ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਕੇ ਉਹ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਾਲਿਕ ਨਹੀ।
ਵੀਰ ਜੀ ਅਸੀ ਉਸ ਕੂਕਰ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਵੀ ਗਏ ਬੀਤੇ ਹਾਂ ਕੇ ਅਪਣੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਜਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਅਸੀ ਕਹਿੰਦੇ ਤੇ "ਚਵਰ ਤਖਤ ਦਾ ਮਾਲਿਕ" ਹਾਂ ਉਸਨੂੰ ਪਛਾਨਣਾਂ ਤੇ ਦੂਰ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਸਰੇ ਬਜਾਰ ਖੜਾ ਕਰਕੇ ਉਸ ਤੇ ਹੀ ਭੌਕੀ ਜਾ ਰਹੇ ਹਾਂ।ਉਹ ਕੂਕਰ ਚੰਗਾ ਕੇ ਅਸੀ ?
English summary:
My Dobbermian Dog has the knack of recognising my motor horn and when I approach my house from 100 metres the first sound of my horn results in my dog instantly leaving whatever he is doing and come running to the gate to welcome me...
He cna IGNORE the horn..or he can delay coming to the Gate...or he cna do so many number of actions..BUT NO..he is CONSTANTLY remebering ME..and waiting for the slightest sign that I am COMING...in His MIND..the dog si constantly thinking of ME..his Master....thats the WAY to do naam japp....in Punjabi this sounds even better..read it if you can...

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Pyari Saadh Sangat Ji

The Gurbani is to some extent both literature and the foundation of Sikh faith, but also the heritage of modern Sikh generation. Maintaining the link therefore is far more important than the secular wisdom of the era, not to say you have regard for the one and disregard for the other, but from a social and spiritual perspective the link is vital.

Guru Nanak was the chosen instrument through which the divine architect was to design and deliver the message for humankind. In its entirity, Japji sahib is written in a beautiful style of questions and answers.The mool manter sets the scene - ek on kar, karta purakh...gur parsad.

Having captured the main subject-matter in the preamble, Guru Nanak goes on to say, in order to meet and realise satnam, alone satnam can bestow that favour, gur parsad - meaning, by the grace of God. Guru Nanak makes good use of the simile in illustrating gur parsad - its bit like someone possessing food but chosing not to eat and remaining hungry, for if that person was to take pity upon itself that person can have a belly full - likewise when satnam takes pity on someone, it is gur parsad - the union.

Following on from that, Guru Ji throws another question - so, it is by gods grace that makes union with god possible, but how is that grace acquired ? Guru Ji answer's - the way to acquire grace is to "JAP"

Ambarsaria Ji, outside happiness is the effect of inner joy and inner joy is a state of spiritual harmony realised by the grace of God...waheguru nam jahaj ha, jo chara so utra par... Waheguru is in a mantra form to connect the soul with the creator or as the Guru's put it anhad bani. So nam jap is a mean to an end and to that end does Gurbani point. Don't worry about how others treat nam jap - rise above praise and blame and be Guru's Sikh and love every situation and circustance placed before you.

When expounding on Jeevat maryia bhav jal taria
Guru Nanak constucts the importance of nam jap beautifully...jasa jal main kamal neralam, murgai nesana ! surat shabad bhav sagar taria, Nanak nam bekhanya ! Like the lotus flower whose roots are in water yet the flower remains dry and similarily the Duck which floats on water takes flight at its fancy, so can I show you a way to connect to that "waheguru" and you too can swim the ocean of life and take flight from the fetters of this physical world.

More later perhaps...its 0238 UK time and I have to go to work. I hope there is some joy for those who know what "true love" is...jin prem kiya tin he prab payo

Goodnight & Godbless

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Original ji thanks for the response. I am just not used to the following,

‪Bhai Jagpal singh ji - Mumbai samagam 2011‬‏ - YouTube

May be generation gap. I find it even hard to understand gurbani in greater concentration and quietness.

So this is good mandir/ramlila/etc., material. But people seem to be enjoying so all the power to them. However, I subscribe to the saying that "Violence in the voice is the death rattle of reason in the throat".

Sat Sri Akal.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Ambarsaria Veera

That clip explains why we are not a 'major' religion.

They seem to be sheep just nodding heads and parrot style jap-ing.

I think Gyani Ji is right it's a mental awareness but you should be aware of the awareness?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM