• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Naam?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Time is not available for me to read the shabad you posted right now Chazji, but would just like to add to your great description of the experience of Naam in the self, that we can also recognise Naam as permeating absolutely everything, leading to a profound sense of interconnectedness (and the foundation for a supremely ethical life as epitomized in the ideal Sikh way of life).

It's interesting that you describe your body as a sponge soaking up the water of Naam. Do you think that sentiment was being expressed when Guru Sahib writes of being dyed in the colour of love?

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Yes guru sahib expressed that sentiment throughout by stating, ''ਸਉਦੇ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਉਚਰਹਿ ਉਠਦੇ ਭੀ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਰੇਨਿ ॥ (313-2) - as it is not practical to chant wah wah while asleep. It was their state of mind, their love, their experiece.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Sahni ji

Please, please provide full shabad and ang number.

I'm not sure if your quote is from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji or not... please clarify. Thank you :)

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Time is not available for me to read the shabad you posted right now Chazji, but would just like to add to your great description of the experience of Naam in the self, that we can also recognise Naam as permeating absolutely everything, leading to a profound sense of interconnectedness (and the foundation for a supremely ethical life as epitomized in the ideal Sikh way of life)

your addition sounds perfect :) Guru Ji says rather than wondering around looking on the outside for him, what better place to experience Him within our ownself first...once we experience his presence within ourself, all fear will be lost, and Guru Ji says we will know and see God in everyone and everything else also...in fact we will 'LITERALLY' see him everywhere...

then we don't need to 'TRY' or make 'EFFORT' to live in truth, because we now know the truth and therefore there will only be one intuitive option in all circumstances and that is of love, compassion, forgiveness, sharing, earning truthfully, looking after each other, no jelousy, no slander, standing up for the truth no matter what the potential outcome...

all of this with the constant presence of Waheguru Ji within us :)

It's interesting that you describe your body as a sponge soaking up the water of Naam. Do you think that sentiment was being expressed when Guru Sahib writes of being dyed in the colour of love?

i would say yes to this :)

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
I had quoted the page No.313-2. Anyway let me list the whole shabad.
ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੪ ॥
ਕਿਆ ਸਵਣਾ ਕਿਆ ਜਾਗਣਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਤੇ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥ ਜਿਨਾ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਨ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਸੇ ਪੂਰੇ ਪੁਰਖ ਪਰਧਾਨ ॥ ਕਰਮੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਲਗੈ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਕੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਰਹਾ ਦਰਗਹ ਪਾਈ ਮਾਨੁ ॥ ਸਉਦੇ ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਉਚਰਹਿ ਉਠਦੇ ਭੀ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਰੇਨਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਮੁਖ ਉਜਲੇ ਜਿ ਨਿਤ ਉਠਿ ਸੰਮਾਲੇਨਿ ॥੧॥
After experiencing the divine within, now state of sleep and awake is one and the same. Unlike the literal understanding, guru sahib is not telling those who are tuned with sach are 'ਪੂਰੇ ਪੁਰਖ ਪਰਧਾਨ' as with cross reference we find that gurbani dictate is only God himself is puran - ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਨ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਸਫਲੁ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਆਪਿ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਜੇਵਡੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦਿਸਈ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਤਿਸੁ ਜਾਪਿ ॥ SGGS.53.3 as 'ਭੁਲਣ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਅਭੁਲੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ॥ SGGS.61.7.
sahni mohinder

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
To me Naam Simran is a way to connect to with the Divine and practice Truth. Of course in Bani you will see it mentioned many times and in many different concepts. To understand the basic concept of Naam I can't even explain. You can go on and on about Naam and what you really think is the concept of Naam.

Naam in the words of Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh Ji:
When you begin to feel the love of the Divine within your mind and body, know that grace has been bestowed. This is naam.

Dyed in the love of the Divine you will see the Divine pervading everywhere. This is naam.

When your attention turns from the seen world, towards the Divine world, that is also naam.

Naam is not mere repetition.

Naam is repetition, recitation, remembrance and sensation.

Naam is life.

Naam is grace.

Naam is the divine light meeting the light within you.

Naam is love, devotion, ecstasy and rapture.

Naam is when in your remembrance of the Divine you feel a heavenly sensation on your tongue.

Naam is when all the cells in your body get immersed in the love of the Divine and the flow of blood through your veins resounds with the sensation of the Divine.

Every pore, every cell rejoices. At that moment, you are truly awake. You are truly alive.
To know naam; to understand naam, you must have faith. Faith, that the Divine is all-pervading. Faith, that in the seen and unseen world, it is the Formless One that permeates. Faith, that invisible to the naked eye, the Pure Light of the Divine is in each and every being. Faith, that the Divine is eternal strength. Faith, that the power and ways of the Divine cannot be known by mortals, for the Divine is immortal.

I believe Sikhs should be practicing Naam Simran. I am entitled to my own opinion. Not just remembering his Name 24/7 but chanting too brings sublime experiences to our lives. There are spiritual stages of Naam too. It isn't a pointless thing. My Dad's best friend who was a sant ji reached the last stage of having "Vaheguru run through his veins in his body." My Dad witnessed it too and heard it before he left this world. To bad I was young before he left. So the experiences of Naam are actually real. Many don't want to believe that the whole concept of Chanting His Name is useless but brings us closer to Him.

Quote of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee in his book "Gurmat Naam Abhyaas Kamaayee."

"Gurmat Naam Abhyaas Kamaayee."

"Those who are themselves devoid of Naam (bemukh from Naam) and who cause others to become bemukh from Naam, such pseudo philosophers are often heard saying that to recite (japp) Naam for personal need or selfish need is a pakhand (hypocrisy or pretension) and such recitation of Naam for selfish need is useless. Their such saying is totally false."

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Though gurmat way is, 'ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਪਾਈਐ - by exploring the treasure within and have called rest of all other exercises as, ' ਕੂੜੀ ਕੂੜੈ ਠੀਸ ॥੩੨॥ and guru sahib totally dismissed parroting and called it a futile exercise by stating, 'ਹਰਹਟ ਭੀ ਤੂੰ ਤੂੰ ਕਰਹਿ ਬੋਲਹਿ ਭਲੀ ਬਾਣਿ ॥ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਦਾ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹੈ ਕਿਆ ਉਚੀ ਕਰਹਿ ਪੁਕਾਰ ॥ p.1420 but at several places literal interpretation reveals guru sahib is endorsing repetition like, ' ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਜਪਿ ਮੀਤ ਹਮਾਰੇ ॥ ਮੁਖ ਊਜਲ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਦਰਬਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥. Does it mean gurbani is contradictory? No! gurbani is constant and strung in one thread, thus we need to understand where guru sahib is condemning parroting, it is not possible at other place he is endorsing at the same. It could be while saying yes, he meant no or simply quoting passing perception of people, as end of the sabd he says, 'ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਤੇਰੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਹਾਈ ॥ it is 'guru ka sabd which helps you to cross bhavjal and not parroting. For that we must reflect on the central idea of sabd. E.g., it is not possible that guru sahib didn’t know how to do bhagti, but quotes a passing common perception on page 612, ‘since I didn’t know how to do bhagti, I started parroting guru, guru, Guru or ram ram and as such people started addressing me devotee of ram (with the name of ramdas) - 'ਹਰਿ ਆਰਾਧਿ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ਰੇ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਰੇ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਿਓ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ 'and at other place guru sahib says, 'ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਿਤ ਕਪਟੁ ਕਮਾਵਹਿ ਹਿਰਦਾ ਸੁਧੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ purpose behind parroting was to transform manh/heart but despite parroting, manh is constantly practicing deception, thus it is a futile exercise. Even at other place guru sahib says, 'Guru gur kar manh mor guru bina mai nahi hor - guru sahib knew manh cannot be silenced thus is advising the manh to keep on chattering the positive thinking - the divine virtues in order to explore the treasure within instead of letting the manh to conspire.
sahni mohinder

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
To me Naam Simran is a way to connect to with the Divine and practice Truth. Of course in Bani you will see it mentioned many times and in many different concepts. To understand the basic concept of Naam I can't even explain. You can go on and on about Naam and what you really think is the concept of Naam.

When you begin to feel the love of the Divine within your mind and body, know that grace has been bestowed. This is naam.

Dyed in the love of the Divine you will see the Divine pervading everywhere. This is naam.

When your attention turns from the seen world, towards the Divine world, that is also naam.

Naam is life.

Naam is grace.

Naam is when in your remembrance of the Divine you feel a heavenly sensation on your tongue.

Naam is when all the cells in your body get immersed in the love of the Divine and the flow of blood through your veins resounds with the sensation of the Divine.

Every pore, every cell rejoices. At that moment, you are truly awake. You are truly alive.
To know naam; to understand naam, you must have faith. Faith, that the Divine is all-pervading. Faith, that in the seen and unseen world, it is the Formless One that permeates. Faith, that invisible to the naked eye, the Pure Light of the Divine is in each and every being. Faith, that the Divine is eternal strength. Faith, that the power and ways of the Divine cannot be known by mortals, for the Divine is immortal.

I believe Sikhs should be practicing Naam Simran. I am entitled to my own opinion. Not just remembering his Name 24/7 but chanting too brings sublime experiences to our lives. There are spiritual stages of Naam too. It isn't a pointless thing. My Dad's best friend who was a sant ji reached the last stage of having "Vaheguru run through his veins in his body." My Dad witnessed it too and heard it before he left this world. To bad I was young before he left. So the experiences of Naam are actually real. Many don't want to believe that the whole concept of Chanting His Name is useless but brings us closer to Him.

Quote of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee in his book "Gurmat Naam Abhyaas Kamaayee."

"Those who are themselves devoid of Naam (bemukh from Naam) and who cause others to become bemukh from Naam, such pseudo philosophers are often heard saying that to recite (japp) Naam for personal need or selfish need is a pakhand (hypocrisy or pretension) and such recitation of Naam for selfish need is useless. Their such saying is totally false."

Hi Abneet,

i couldn't have put in any better than you have. Naam is everything we can imagine and an infinite amount more! :)

biggest hurdle for many is to actually believe that God is literally within us all, and within everything...The Ego won't allow us to believe this...God is there for us to enjoy for us to realise our true potential

your post has been so refreshing to read.

God bless, waheguru

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Though gurmat way is, 'ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਪਾਈਐ - by exploring the treasure within and have called rest of all other exercises as, ' ਕੂੜੀ ਕੂੜੈ ਠੀਸ ॥੩੨॥ and guru sahib totally dismissed parroting and called it a futile exercise by stating, 'ਹਰਹਟ ਭੀ ਤੂੰ ਤੂੰ ਕਰਹਿ ਬੋਲਹਿ ਭਲੀ ਬਾਣਿ ॥ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਦਾ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹੈ ਕਿਆ ਉਚੀ ਕਰਹਿ ਪੁਕਾਰ ॥ p.1420 but at several places literal interpretation reveals guru sahib is endorsing repetition like, ' ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਜਪਿ ਮੀਤ ਹਮਾਰੇ ॥ ਮੁਖ ਊਜਲ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਦਰਬਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥. Does it mean gurbani is contradictory? No! gurbani is constant and strung in one thread, thus we need to understand where guru sahib is condemning parroting, it is not possible at other place he is endorsing at the same. It could be while saying yes, he meant no or simply quoting passing perception of people, as end of the sabd he says, 'ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਤੇਰੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਹਾਈ ॥ it is 'guru ka sabd which helps you to cross bhavjal and not parroting. For that we must reflect on the central idea of sabd. E.g., it is not possible that guru sahib didn’t know how to do bhagti, but quotes a passing common perception on page 612, ‘since I didn’t know how to do bhagti, I started parroting guru, guru, Guru or ram ram and as such people started addressing me devotee of ram (with the name of ramdas) - 'ਹਰਿ ਆਰਾਧਿ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ਰੇ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਰੇ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਿਓ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ 'and at other place guru sahib says, 'ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਿਤ ਕਪਟੁ ਕਮਾਵਹਿ ਹਿਰਦਾ ਸੁਧੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ purpose behind parroting was to transform manh/heart but despite parroting, manh is constantly practicing deception, thus it is a futile exercise. Even at other place guru sahib says, 'Guru gur kar manh mor guru bina mai nahi hor - guru sahib knew manh cannot be silenced thus is advising the manh to keep on chattering the positive thinking - the divine virtues in order to explore the treasure within instead of letting the manh to conspire.
sahni mohinder

yes it is so simple,

parroting is mindless talk....e.g. saying "i love you, i love you" over and over to your husband\wife...but inside you thinking of other things and not actually felling any love for the other person....this is mindless parroting...

mindFULL talk is when the words are a manifestation of the true feelings inside you....feeling immense True unconditional love for your partner and saying "i love you" to them....this is not parroting...so i if keep saying "i love you, i love you" over and over, it is a powerful expression that can hit deep in the other persons heart also.

when a person utters words, the world will judge them saying they are just parroting, but what they may not see is where these words are manifesting from....and that could be from deep in that persons heart where waheguru is so ever present.

and if a person utters with love and focuses on the words, then it may help like you said from preventing the mind from conspiring, while our attention/consciousness can 'explore the treasure within' like you said :)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
parroting is mindless talk....e.g. saying "i love you, i love you" over and over to your husband\wife...but inside you thinking of other things and not actually felling any love for the other person....this is mindless parroting...

mindFULL talk is when the words are a manifestation of the true feelings inside you....feeling immense True unconditional love for your partner and saying "i love you" to them....this is not parroting...so i if keep saying "i love you, i love you" over and over, it is a powerful expression that can hit deep in the other persons heart also.

how could a third party know the difference?
and if a person utters with love and focuses on the words, then it may help like you said from preventing the mind from conspiring, while our attention/consciousness can 'explore the treasure within' like you said

how do the dumb cope?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
how could a third party know the difference?

have you never had anyone say anything to you, or heard someone say something...an inspired speech....a description of an event, a description of the emotions of someones life event, or aspirations...or love for something they put a lot of effort into, where when they speak, it sends shivers down your back...uplifts you, gets you thinking...wondering, contemplating...wanting to achieve something similar or greater or help in some way and make a difference?

if you have, i think you can compare it to someone who has blabbered in your face with meaningless, lifeless, emotionless crap, self centred crap...

when something comes from the heart, it has the power to strike another persons heart also in many ways

:)

how do the dumb cope?
cope with what?

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait

Naam is life.

Naam is grace.

To me NAAM is education - divine education, ' ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਤਾਂ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਥੀਵੈ ਹਰਿਆ ॥੧॥ and this only can be achieved by studying and not parroting.
best regards

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
To me NAAM is education - divine education, ' ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਤਾਂ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਥੀਵੈ ਹਰਿਆ ॥੧॥ and this only can be achieved by studying and not parroting.
best regards

Satnaam Ji,

Why is there this assumption that everyone is parroting? even after the beautiful description Abneet has given?

Please explain what you mean by studying ji?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
No one is gonna know the meaning of naam from studying !
Naam HAS to be experienced to understand it.
AND the ONLY way you can understand this Naam is through Naam Simran and Naam Simran only.

I can't understand that members saw the topic going off track into naam simran, when naam simran is all practically done to experience and understand this very naam itself!!!

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
AND the ONLY way you can understand this Naam is through Naam Simran and Naam Simran only.

I can't understand that members saw the topic going off track into naam simran, when naam simran is all practically done to experience and understand this very naam itself!!!

We,re all obviously mindlessly parroting lucky ji...God gave us a heart and took a seat in it...but we obviously cannot go beyond this concept of parroting...why god gave us a heart I have no idea... (sarcasm) :)

so much parroting...even the ones who keep saying we,re parroting seem to be parroting with the same old comments...

Is this the limit of us human beings?

Surely we can utter guru ji,s bani with love....surely?

And this studying that is required to experience naam...how much study is needed...I may take my last breathe tomorrow....I.m pretty sure in gurbani it says even an illiterate can experience waheguru...:)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Gentlemen, how nice to see both of you again

How very definitive of you luckyji, in particular I really appreciate the capitalisation, however, I disagree with you, I do not think this is the only way, in fact I happen to think it is not the way at all, not even one of the ways, you make it, as always sound mystical and magical, when it is in fact to my mind nothing more than walking the way of truth.

We,re all obviously mindlessly parroting lucky ji...God gave us a heart and took a seat in it...but we obviously cannot go beyond this concept of parroting...why god gave us a heart I have no idea... (sarcasm)

so much parroting...even the ones who keep saying we,re parroting seem to be parroting with the same old comments...

Is this the limit of us human beings?

Surely we can utter guru ji,s bani with love....surely?

And this studying that is required to experience naam...how much study is needed...I may take my last breathe tomorrow....I.m pretty sure in gurbani it says even an illiterate can experience waheguru...

If you wish to mumble words with love in your heart, that is your right to do so, but please do expect at least a counter opinion, and that opinion is that naam is nothing more than living truthfully

but then we are all allowed our opinions boys, at least I do not make mine the definitive....:happymunda:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Gentlemen, how nice to see both of you again

How very definitive of you luckyji, in particular I really appreciate the capitalisation, however, I disagree with you, I do not think this is the only way, in fact I happen to think it is not the way at all, not even one of the ways, you make it, as always sound mystical and magical, when it is in fact to my mind nothing more than walking the way of truth.

If you wish to mumble words with love in your heart, that is your right to do so, but please do expect at least a counter opinion, and that opinion is that naam is nothing more than living truthfully

but then we are all allowed our opinions boys, at least I do not make mine the definitive....:happymunda:

Truthful living is definately a manifestation of naam.
In my opinion...so I don,t think we differ...

my objection is to the constant belief from many posters that when a person utters the words of god with their mouth that they must just be mindless parroting...of course some people may be doing that...but not everyone...good builders ... bad builders and all that :)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
my objection is to the constant belief from many posters that when a person utters the words of god with their mouth that they must just be mindless parroting...of course some people may be doing that...but not everyone...good builders ... bad builders and all that

Chazji

what about the dumb, are they devoid of this wonderful method?

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
I feel we are all describing the same thing, but from different angles. Such is the nature of truth.

I urge members to explain Naam using gurbani. Indeed we experience different things when meditating, but we all know experience is subjective. It varies from person to person. Subjective experience does not define the truth of the topic.

I posted a shabadh in reference to Naam, a few pages back (appears on pannaa 9). It stated "Speaking it I live. Forgetting it I die."

Is this a death of consciousness? In the movie "Inception", a spinning top was utilized by the main character to remind him that he was dreaming. Even though he could smell it, taste it, hear it, touch it and see it, it wasn't real. This is what Maya is. It is an illusion. We need Naam to remember it isn't real. Naam is our spinning top. It is the truth.

ਅਸੰਖ ਨਾਵ ਅਸੰਖ ਥਾਵ
असंख नाव असंख थाव ॥
Asaʼnkẖ nāv asaʼnkẖ thāv.
Countless names, countless places.

ਅਗੰਮ ਅਗੰਮ ਅਸੰਖ ਲੋਅ
अगम अगम असंख लोअ ॥
Agamm agamm asaʼnkẖ lo▫a.
Inaccessible, unapproachable, countless celestial realms.

ਅਸੰਖ ਕਹਹਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਭਾਰੁ ਹੋਇ
असंख कहहि सिरि भारु होइ ॥
Asaʼnkẖ kėhahi sir bẖār ho▫e.
Even to call them countless is to carry the weight on your head.

ਅਖਰੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਖਰੀ ਸਾਲਾਹ
अखरी नामु अखरी सालाह ॥
Akẖrī nām akẖrī sālāh.
From the Word, comes the Naam; from the Word, comes Your Praise.

ਅਖਰੀ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਗੀਤ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਹ
अखरी गिआनु गीत गुण गाह ॥
Akẖrī gi▫ān gīṯ guṇ gāh.
From the Word, comes spiritual wisdom, singing the Songs of Your Glory.

ਅਖਰੀ ਲਿਖਣੁ ਬੋਲਣੁ ਬਾਣਿ
अखरी लिखणु बोलणु बाणि ॥
Akẖrī likẖaṇ bolaṇ bāṇ.
From the Word, come the written and spoken words and hymns.

ਅਖਰਾ ਸਿਰਿ ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ਵਖਾਣਿ
अखरा सिरि संजोगु वखाणि ॥
Akẖrā sir sanjog vakẖāṇ.
From the Word, comes destiny, written on one's forehead.

ਜਿਨਿ ਏਹਿ ਲਿਖੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਿਰਿ ਨਾਹਿ
जिनि एहि लिखे तिसु सिरि नाहि ॥
Jin ehi likẖe ṯis sir nāhi.
But the One who wrote these Words of Destiny-no words are written on His Forehead.

ਜਿਵ ਫੁਰਮਾਏ ਤਿਵ ਤਿਵ ਪਾਹਿ
जिव फुरमाए तिव तिव पाहि ॥
Jiv furmā▫e ṯiv ṯiv pāhi.
As He ordains, so do we receive.

ਜੇਤਾ ਕੀਤਾ ਤੇਤਾ ਨਾਉ
जेता कीता तेता नाउ ॥
Jeṯā kīṯā ṯeṯā nā▫o.
The created universe is the manifestation of Your Name.

ਵਿਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋ ਥਾਉ
विणु नावै नाही को थाउ ॥
viṇ nāvai nāhī ko thā▫o.
Without Your Name, there is no place at all.

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕਵਣ ਕਹਾ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ
कुदरति कवण कहा वीचारु ॥
Kuḏraṯ kavaṇ kahā vīcẖār.
How can I describe Your Creative Power?

ਵਾਰਿਆ ਜਾਵਾ ਏਕ ਵਾਰ
वारिआ न जावा एक वार ॥
vāri▫ā na jāvā ek vār.
I cannot even once be a sacrifice to You.

ਜੋ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸਾਈ ਭਲੀ ਕਾਰ
जो तुधु भावै साई भली कार ॥
Jo ṯuḏẖ bẖāvai sā▫ī bẖalī kār.
Whatever pleases You is the only good done,

ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਸਲਾਮਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ॥੧੯॥
तू सदा सलामति निरंकार ॥१९॥
Ŧū saḏā salāmaṯ nirankār. ||19||
You, Eternal and Formless One. ||19||

The above shabadh (pannaa 4) states "From the Word, comes the Naam". The Word being described in this shabadh is destiny. Gurbani also refers to this as "lekha". This means "that which has been written". According to one's destiny, one obtains the Naam (the truth). It is pre-determined whether one will obtain the truth or not. Gurbani states "By His Hukam some find the path, while others continue to wonder". Perhaps the truth cannot be taught, but it can be seen. By the grace of the divine, some are able to see it.

I invite the sangat to ponder this piece from the above shabadh:

"The created universe is a manifestation of your Name. Without your Name, there is no place at all."

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM