Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Christianity What Do You Think Of Christianity?

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by Abneet, May 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Funny thing is, I grew up Catholic. My dad had studied to be a catholic priest for 3 years before finally deciding to have a family instead. But what he learned in those 3 years involved a lot of misogyny. I knew at age 8 I wasn't Christian at heart and refused to go back to Sunday school.

I found Sikhi first in my mid 20s. I'm 41 now and have been attending Gurdwara regularly for about 8 years. In full baptized Amritdhari and I am married to a Singh from india. In fact I am living here half the year in Kashmir with my in laws.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lindsey

Lindsey United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

And there's me trying to tell you about Catholicism! I moved away from Christianity in my late teens and didn't go back until my mid thirties; I'm 51 now. I focused on Buddhism in my Religious Studies degree and MA, and although I admired the philosophy I never found a meditation practice which suited me. Eventually through hesychasm in the Orthodox Church and Carmelite contemplation, I found my way back. I studied Western philosophy too, particularly existentialism, so I was never going to be a conventional Christian 'believer'. Having said that, I found the apophatic tradition in theology enabled me to practise contemplation without having to believe a lot of nonsense. I'm happy with accepting religious language as metaphor for that which cannot be expressed rationally.

Maybe if I'd encountered Sikhi (is that the correct term?) earlier I might have been able to find a home there, but I've only just begun to look into it following a recent conversation with a Sikh neighbour. I stopped going to Mass again three years ago because of prejudice that I encountered, so who knows what the future may hold?

• Like Like x 2
  3. sukhsingh

sukhsingh
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Maybe better to think 'truth is' self realised

4. sukhsingh

sukhsingh
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

My understanding of dualism is not that there are two sides of a coin rather there is a whole

Since you're here... we have a small favor to ask...     Become a Supporter      ::     Make a Contribution