• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Wake Up?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I keep meaning to wake up, I have been trying to wake up for years, the clock in my workshop is a constant reminded of this, it is the only clock here, it is stuck on 10.30, has been for years, I keep meaning to put a battery in it, I always meant to do it when I woke up.

I did wake up a few months ago, really woke up, fell in love, looked normal, talked normal, did normal stuff, now I am not sure which state is awake and which is asleep, I an free, but alone, I have no personality, no substance, no foundation, no principles, which means every day is an adventure that is not inhibited by ingrained rubbish, it means every day I get to be whoever I want to be, to deal with whatever the day brings, so I am open to anything and everything, I call this state a state of non awakening, a state of sleep, I wonder why, thinking back to the few months where I woke up, I was not free, I was not alone, I was cultivating a personality, I was finding substance, foundation, principles, every day was not an adventure, every day I had to deal with things with the notion that I was a person that consisted of XYZ, and as such, I dealt with it given XYZ. I cared what people thought, I cared about my appearance, I wanted people to see the best of me, I was careful how I spoke, I wanted to come across as civilized, educated, likeable, I wanted to be liked and I wanted to be loved, I became fearful of loss, of death, of change, I wanted to be part of society, even though, it felt like being awake, and it felt that something good was dying, looking back, I have to concede that it is this state that is the dead state.

Certainly if Gurbani is anything to go by, the state I was in those few months was an extreme state of Maya, and now, today, I am not in Maya, its hard sometimes, its strange how again, looking back, how much stupid things made me happy, driving a sensible car, being with a normal woman, looking clean and presentable, having people smile at me, instead of having people look at me like I was a tramp, being validated by society, being accepted, I was happy, but my happiness was tied in so much with external forces, the woman, the attitude of society towards me, my own morning preening and dressing, normally it takes me about 10 seconds to get dressed, socks, boots, shorts, thats it, t shirt if i go out, bu then it was a shave, various lotions and perfumes, a shirt, trousers, lots of looking in the mirror, in effect my happiness came from the response of others around me, from where I am sitting now, it looks like a living death.

The clock stays, Maya is what it is, utter crap on every level, and best to probably stay away from it, and the biggest maya of all, the most stinking despicable and rotten maya of them all is love, or what passes for love these days

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
I keep meaning to wake up, I have been trying to wake up for years, the clock in my workshop is a constant reminded of this, it is the only clock here, it is stuck on 10.30, has been for years, I keep meaning to put a battery in it, I always meant to do it when I woke up.

I did wake up a few months ago, really woke up, fell in love, looked normal, talked normal, did normal stuff, now I am not sure which state is awake and which is asleep, I an free, but alone, I have no personality, no substance, no foundation, no principles, which means every day is an adventure that is not inhibited by ingrained rubbish, it means every day I get to be whoever I want to be, to deal with whatever the day brings, so I am open to anything and everything, I call this state a state of non awakening, a state of sleep, I wonder why, thinking back to the few months where I woke up, I was not free, I was not alone, I was cultivating a personality, I was finding substance, foundation, principles, every day was not an adventure, every day I had to deal with things with the notion that I was a person that consisted of XYZ, and as such, I dealt with it given XYZ. I cared what people thought, I cared about my appearance, I wanted people to see the best of me, I was careful how I spoke, I wanted to come across as civilized, educated, likeable, I wanted to be liked and I wanted to be loved, I became fearful of loss, of death, of change, I wanted to be part of society, even though, it felt like being awake, and it felt that something good was dying, looking back, I have to concede that it is this state that is the dead state.

Certainly if Gurbani is anything to go by, the state I was in those few months was an extreme state of Maya, and now, today, I am not in Maya, its hard sometimes, its strange how again, looking back, how much stupid things made me happy, driving a sensible car, being with a normal woman, looking clean and presentable, having people smile at me, instead of having people look at me like I was a tramp, being validated by society, being accepted, I was happy, but my happiness was tied in so much with external forces, the woman, the attitude of society towards me, my own morning preening and dressing, normally it takes me about 10 seconds to get dressed, socks, boots, shorts, thats it, t shirt if i go out, bu then it was a shave, various lotions and perfumes, a shirt, trousers, lots of looking in the mirror, in effect my happiness came from the response of others around me, from where I am sitting now, it looks like a living death.

The clock stays, Maya is what it is, utter crap on every level, and best to probably stay away from it, and the biggest maya of all, the most stinking despicable and rotten maya of them all is love, or what passes for love these days

Yeh, a true lover doesn't need approval, they learn their true nature. Why look for approval when the answers are already within

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
I don't, however it takes solitude to achieve this....

True. That's why Gurbani says meditate. U go within, learn, and practice staying grounded in it during the day. Regardless of whether you're in a temple or a club. U practice staying grounded in it.

I'm not talking about your dark side. Everyone has a good n bad side. I'm talking about the balance. Who u really are, beyond the I, beyond attachments, identity etc. You know you're already truth. Everyone does. People just fear going beyond societies bullsh*t shackles and false outer appearances.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
True. That's why Gurbani says meditate. U go within, learn, and practice staying grounded in it during the day. Regardless of whether you're in a temple or a club. U practice staying grounded in it.

I'm not talking about your dark side. Everyone has a good n bad side. I'm talking about the balance. Who u really are, beyond the I, beyond attachments, identity etc. You know you're already truth. Everyone does. People just fear going beyond societies bullsh*t shackles and false outer appearances.
no, not meditation, you don't flirt with the solitude, or play with it, or have an experience of it, you have to be it, with every cell of your body, it is the only way to liberate from maya, anything else is just lip service

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
no, not meditation, you don't flirt with the solitude, or play with it, or have an experience of it, you have to be it, with every cell of your body, it is the only way to liberate from maya, anything else is just lip service

Yeh, that's my point.. We already Are it. Some by the mere remembrance during waking life, working hard and practicing truth stay in it.

But this path requires discipline. Going deeper, you experience this state at a deep level. Then stay grounded in it when life throws its tests. People come to love meditation (truth remembrance/ simran), it's an expression of love, delving deep into the heart where the mind is silenced.

Maya is disciplined in her efforts to throw you off. You need discipline and above all, Love to make her quiet.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeh, that's my point.. We already Are it. Some by the mere remembrance during waking life, working hard and practicing truth stay in it.

But this path requires discipline. Going deeper, you experience this state at a deep level. Then stay grounded in it when life throws its tests. People come to love meditation (truth remembrance/ simran), it's an expression of love, delving deep into the heart where the mind is silenced.

Maya is disciplined in her efforts to throw you off. You need discipline and above all, Love to make her quiet.

Again, I am not talking of a path of lip service, of rejection of some maya, but not other maya, at ones own discretion, or depending on how one feels when one wakes up, I am afraid, to me, meditation is also maya,

You don't need discipline, or love, you just need to be aware that there is nothing, and nothing is all there is.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Meditation and praying is not easy. Meditation and Prayer leads to erasure of the selfishness and leads us to our True Self.

You meditate to go towards the nothingness.

well that is subjective, does meditation and prayer make you think as much as a state of nothing makes you think? People meditate and pray for fun, or as a sort of hobby, they look forward to it, so it cannot be that hard, what makes your method of meditation and prayer so hard?

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
fun/hobby? i don't know. i don't meditate for that. i think this shabad explains it more:

ਆਵਹੁ ਮਿਲਹੁ ਸਹੇਲੀਹੋ ਸਚੜਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਏਹਾਂ ॥
aavahu milahu saheleeho sachaRaa naam lehaa(n) ||
Come, O my companions - let us meet together and dwell upon the True Name.
ਰੋਵਹ ਬਿਰਹਾ ਤਨ ਕਾ ਆਪਣਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸੰਮ੍ਹਾਲੇਹਾਂ ॥
roveh birahaa tan kaa aapanaa saahib sa(n)m(h)aalehaa(n) ||
Let us weep over the body's separation from the Lord and Master; let us remember Him in contemplation.
ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਮ੍ਹਾਲਿਹ ਪੰਥੁ ਨਿਹਾਲਿਹ ਅਸਾ ਭਿ ਓਥੈ ਜਾਣਾ ॥
saahib sam(h)aaleh pa(n)th nihaaleh asaa bh othai jaanaa ||
Let us remember the Lord and Master in contemplation, and keep a watchful eye on the Path. We shall have to go there as well.
ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਕੀਆ ਤਿਨ ਹੀ ਲੀਆ ਹੋਆ ਤਿਸੈ ਕਾ ਭਾਣਾ ॥
jis kaa keeaa tin hee leeaa hoaa tisai kaa bhaanaa ||
He who has created, also destroys; whatever happens is by His Will.

Shabad - SikhiToTheMax

How do you prepare for that journey?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
fun/hobby? i don't know. i don't meditate for that. i think this shabad explains it more:

ਆਵਹੁ ਮਿਲਹੁ ਸਹੇਲੀਹੋ ਸਚੜਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਏਹਾਂ ॥
aavahu milahu saheleeho sachaRaa naam lehaa(n) ||
Come, O my companions - let us meet together and dwell upon the True Name.
ਰੋਵਹ ਬਿਰਹਾ ਤਨ ਕਾ ਆਪਣਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸੰਮ੍ਹਾਲੇਹਾਂ ॥
roveh birahaa tan kaa aapanaa saahib sa(n)m(h)aalehaa(n) ||
Let us weep over the body's separation from the Lord and Master; let us remember Him in contemplation.
ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਮ੍ਹਾਲਿਹ ਪੰਥੁ ਨਿਹਾਲਿਹ ਅਸਾ ਭਿ ਓਥੈ ਜਾਣਾ ॥
saahib sam(h)aaleh pa(n)th nihaaleh asaa bh othai jaanaa ||
Let us remember the Lord and Master in contemplation, and keep a watchful eye on the Path. We shall have to go there as well.
ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਕੀਆ ਤਿਨ ਹੀ ਲੀਆ ਹੋਆ ਤਿਸੈ ਕਾ ਭਾਣਾ ॥
jis kaa keeaa tin hee leeaa hoaa tisai kaa bhaanaa ||
He who has created, also destroys; whatever happens is by His Will.

Shabad - SikhiToTheMax

Well we are all different, but I do know people that genuinely look forward to prayer or meditation, ie, it is not a hardship for them, it is a pleasure,

The journey can only be understood, in my opinion, if you first understand the concept of nothing, because at that point, anything other than nothing becomes maya, it is then your choice as to how much maya you allow to infiltrate your life, and to what end.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
although as a pre requisite, if you have prepared for that journey by dancing with the devil, then, in my opinion, your on good ground.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Again, I am not talking of a path of lip service, of rejection of some maya, but not other maya, at ones own discretion, or depending on how one feels when one wakes up, I am afraid, to me, meditation is also maya,

You don't need discipline, or love, you just need to be aware that there is nothing, and nothing is all there is.

Nirboah and Nirvair yes.

Remembrance of this is meditation.

U forget that simran/meditation is rembrance.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM