• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Understanding Gurbani

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Respected Namjap ji,

I am sincerely grateful to you for this guidance. I know that some questions are to be answered for by oneself. You have been kind to guide me. You are perfectly alright. I need your continued guidance.

But sometimes I feel that there should have been more guidance.
I sincerely feel that I should concentrate on my nitnem properly.

Thanks again for helping me out.

Regards.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Unfoldment comes from small nudges of life. Certain things stand out more than the others. Maybe it was some phrase used by someone that hit the target. A man once went to a garage sale and bought a couple of paintings. He hung them in his home each on one wall.

During a social gathering in his home, a art professional viewed all the paintings one by one. He told the owner that one of the paintings was absolutely original work of a professional painter and that it would have costed the owner alot of money purchasing it. The estimated figure quoted shocked the owner to his disbelief. He was even offered to sell it to the visitor.

Here we are sitting on a box of diamonds and don't know the value of it. It takes a bhagat who has attained the naam to express what little we have found via our outer practice of naam japping, nitnem, simran, etc. It takes another enlightened soul to explain the value and quality of our present position on this journey towards God. It is with the help of a lighted candle that other candles can be lighted up. Every candle is made with this potential.

We already have a portion of that enlightenment but don't know its current value. In any sadhsangat, there are enlightened souls on the watch out of the signs one should have on this journey to God. They look for humility as first priority. If you have it, they will approach you casually. Then get to know you more and more. Each visit of theirs should bring forth the value of the jewel you already possess.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikh80 ji

Don't .. please ..you are the one asking all these hard questions. That is the mark of a teacher. You are the teacher, and I am a struggling student.

I have actually taken the entire issue to heart as you present it. It did me good to think through the entire shabad line by line. And will post my understanding a little later.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikh80 ji

Don't .. please ..you are the one asking all these hard questions. That is the mark of a teacher. You are the teacher, and I am a struggling student.

I have actually taken the entire issue to heart as you present it. It did me good to think through the entire shabad line by line. And will post my understanding a little later.

Sikh 80 ji

Last night i worked on analysis of the shabad starting

isrIrwgu mhl 1 ] (19-13)
Siree Raag, First Mehl:

qnu jil bil mwtI BieAw mnu mwieAw moih mnUru ] (19-14, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
1.The body is burnt to ashes; by its love of Maya, the mind is rusted through.

Just to note: In order to continue as a discussant in this thread, which I am honored to do, I am recusing myself as moderator. And I really do not think that much moderation will be needed because the topic is Gurbani. Anyway that is my hope.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
AS a first job I am placing the sabad at the top of the post so that reference becomes easy. The immediate concern is the line no.13. I think it is this line that you have posted inthe other thread as well. WE shall discuss it here and paste the conclusion there so that one thread is clear.

isrIrwgu mhl 1 ] (19-13)

Siree Raag, First Mehl:

Aaugx iPir lwgU Bey kUir vjwvY qUru ] (19-14, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

2.Demerits become one's enemies, and falsehood blows the bugle of attack.

ibnu sbdY BrmweIAY duibDw foby pUru ]1] (19-15, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

3.Without the Word of the Shabad, people wander lost in reincarnation. Through the love of duality, multitudes have been drowned. ||1||

mn ry sbid qrhu icqu lwie ] (19-15, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

4.O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.

ijin gurmuiK nwmu n bUiJAw mir jnmY AwvY jwie ]1] rhwau ] (19-15, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

5.Those who do not become Gurmukh do not understand the Naam; they die, and continue coming and going in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||

qnu sUcw so AwKIAY ijsu mih swcw nwau ] (19-16, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

6.That body is said to be pure, in which the True Name abides.

BY sic rwqI dyhurI ijhvw scu suAwau ] (19-17, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

7.One whose body is imbued with the Fear of the True One, and whose tongue savors Truthfulness,

scI ndir inhwlIAY bhuiV n pwvY qwau ]2] (19-17, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

8.is brought to ecstasy by the True Lord's Glance of Grace. That person does not have to go through the fire of the womb again. ||2||

swcy qy pvnw BieAw pvnY qy jlu hoie ] (19-18, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

9.From the True Lord came the air, and from the air came water.

jl qy iqRBvxu swijAw Git Git joiq smoie ] (19-18, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

10.From water, He created the three worlds; in each and every heart He has infused His Light.

inrmlu mYlw nw QIAY sbid rqy piq hoie ]3] (19-19, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

11.The Immaculate Lord does not become polluted. Attuned to the Shabad, honor is obtained. ||3||

iehu mnu swic sMqoiKAw ndir kry iqsu mwih ] (19-19, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

12.One whose mind is contented with Truthfulness, is blessed with the Lord's Glance of Grace.

pMc BUq sic BY rqy joiq scI mn mwih ] (20-1, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

13.The body of the five elements is dyed in the Fear of the True One; the mind is filled with the True Light.

nwnk Aaugx vIsry guir rwKy piq qwih ]4]15] (20-1, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

14.O Nanak, your demerits shall be forgotten; the Guru shall preserve your honor. ||4||15||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Respected aad ji,

I am guided by the commentary of sahib Singh ji and translation of Sant Singh ji Khalsa. Commentary of Sahib Singh ji is also silient about whether the fear of God turned on the mind or it is the light of the mind that leads one to have fear of lord. Both have been taken as concurrent phenomenon occuring in body and mind i.e Fear of lord and the occurance of the light in the mind ,probably, to avoid any confusion in this regard.

Fear of God and Light in Mind

Nonetheless, your question is pertinent/valid as something should precede the other. I am tempted to draw a conclusion that both the events take place in mind and not in body and hence the Fear of God should precede the appearance of the light in mind. The appearance of the light is the knowledge or the spiritual wisdom that wells up in the mind on account of love of Lord or Naam or sabad that I am using as synonyms as has done by Sahib singh ji.There should not be a problem in this regard as discussed below.

Naam and Sabad: Synonyms

At many places where Naam and sabad are not read in the context as per their literal meaning Sahib Singh ji has also taken a recourse to such a presumption. This is a valid presumption as to many of us neither Naam is known nor Sabad is known and hence that the simran we do is reflective of the Love for the Lord .

Sabad and Meaning

Line containing Rahao[1]

Note: Presumption:
1.Sabad/Naam and Love of Lord are treated as same [synonyms]

Oh my mind, place your consciousness on Sabad and swim through this worldly sea of human affairs. Those Gurmukhs who have not undersood the Naam/Love of Lord will remain in the cycle of Reincarnation[2].

The body is reduced to ashes and the mind becomes like a piece of rusted iron on account of love of Maya i.e the big illusion. One is attacked by the lower qualities and falsehood if one remains engrossed in Maya and/or if one is not engrossed in Sabad or love of Lord i.e. does not engage oneself in Simran or any similar activity that is reflective of Love of Lord. [1]

[1] The emphasis in this ‘sabad’ should be on ‘Sabad’ and ‘Naam’/Love of Lord.][Rahao]

[2][Note : The word employed is Gurmukh. Gurmukh appears whenever Gurus have to imply something positive but here it is not so.Any reason.? The reason should be discussed at the end or separately.]

2.Only that body is said to be pure and immaculate that is imbued with the love of Lord/Naam and It is in the fear of God that one’s tongue tastes the Naam through Simran/love of Lord.[2]

3.It is through the Truth i.e. Him that Air is produced, and through Air water is produced. With water He established the three kingdoms/worlds and established Himself in every body. He, Himself, is always immaculate and pure and is not affected by the dirt of Maya. It is through the ‘sabad/’love of Lord’ that we are also honored.[3] [where....May be in His court]

4.One whose mind is contented with Truthfulness, is blessed with the Lord's Glance of Grace. The body of the five elements is dyed in the Fear of the True One; the mind is filled with the True Light.
[It is in this line that Fear of God should precede the light in the mind/welling up of spiritual wisdom.]

O Nanak, your demerits shall be forgotten; the Guru shall preserve your honor.

[P.S.
Although it appears a very simple translation and cut and paste work.It has taken a good number of hours. It may still be defective due to lack of appreciation. You may kindly opine.
I shall post the reason as to why/how the Term 'Gurmukh' has to be assigned positive meaning.]

Regards.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikh80 ji,

Well I will try to add my understanding. You make good points above, especially in saying that things are occurring in the mind not the body. I am including the transliteration as well as the Gurbani font. I am also using the Sahib Singh translation. My approach is to walk through the shabad line by line and look at how the Guru's message has been structured. The progress from one line to the next is important. Idea builds on idea.

I have included the reference to Sriraag to begin with, not for the formality, but because Sriraag throughout has a a special quality of contemplation on the progress of the soul. I think this is important.

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲ ੧ ॥
sireeraag mehal 1 ||
Siree Raag, First Mehl:

Guru ji starts the sabad with this line. This is the premise on which the shabad is built. The starting point in the progression of ideas. Guruji is saying -- Here is where you are -- than your earthy body is burning, is turning to ashes, your death is inevitable, you are decaying, and even your mind is decaying, rusting through, because of your love of Maya. It is as if the illusion of Maya is like a drug that destroys the body and the mind. So Guruji is saying be aware of this because this is really happening to you.

ਤਨੁ ਜਲਿ ਬਲਿ ਮਾਟੀ ਭਇਆ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿ ਮਨੂਰੁ ॥
than jal bal maattee bhaeiaa man maaeiaa mohi manoor ||
The body is burnt to ashes; by its love of Maya, the mind is rusted through.

Then Guruji,in the next line, line 13, describes what the consequences of this love of Maya have brought us. Only misery. Our own demerits, failings, faults, sins have become our enemies, and this lie that we live, the falsehood, is like a bugle, sounding a warning, these enemies will destroy us.

13 ਅਉਗਣ ਫਿਰਿ ਲਾਗੂ ਭਏ ਕੂਰਿ ਵਜਾਵੈ ਤੂਰੁ ॥
aougan fir laagoo bheae koor vajaavai thoor ||
Demerits become one's enemies, and falsehood blows the bugle of attack.

Guruji in the next line, line 14, continues describing what has happened to us, and will happen to us. We will wanter around in reincarnation, when we are without the word of the Shabad bin sabadhai. Our love of duality -- this has been the defeat of multitudes.

14 ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਭਰਮਾਈਐ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਡੋਬੇ ਪੂਰੁ ॥੧॥
bin sabadhai bharamaaeeai dhubidhhaa ddobae poor ||1||
Without the Word of the Shabad, people wander lost in reincarnation. Through the love of duality, multitudes have been drowned. ||1||

So in these two lines Guruji explains that the body will die, the mind will rust, our sins will be our enemies, the lies and illusions, and actually the falsehoods, that we cling to in duality and Maya turn against us. And all this happens because we are without the Word of the Shabad. These are the consequences.

Next Guruji tells us what the mind must do about this swim across,. The line is giving spiritual direction. Focus your consciousness on the Shabad.

ਮਨ ਰੇ ਸਬਦਿ ਤਰਹੁ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥
man rae sabadh tharahu chith laae ||
O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.

And the consequence, it follows below. Those who do not become Gurmukh, who do not turn their faces to the Lord, do not understand the Naam -- What happens to them? They die mar janamai and are subject to coming and going, aavai jaae. Guruji here is speaking of a physical death -- they die, and they are caught in reincarnation.

ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਬੂਝਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
jin guramukh naam n boojhiaa mar janamai aavai jaae ||1|| rehaao ||
Those who do not become Gurmukh do not understand the Naam; they die, and continue coming and going in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||

This is the rehaao line -- we pause and think because the next part of the Shabad is going to change in content. At this point we understand this. Focus your consciousness on the Shabad, and become a Gurmukh, understand the Naam, because if you do not you will continue in reincarnation -- all those terrible things above. The misery of all of that falsehood and illusion will come back.

In the next section lines 15 through 17m Guruji explains what our reward will be when ਮਨ ਰੇ ਸਬਦਿ ਤਰਹੁ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥ man rae sabadh tharahu chith laae || O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.

Each of these lines tells us what the treasure is for the Gurmukh.

In line 15, the material body or physical body is stated, than, That body is pure in which the Saachaa naao resides. Line 16 will also talk about the body, but it is not the physical body, than, but the body of something that is more abstract and not physical at all. And it is not earthly but something much greater than earthly consciousness.

You will also notice that this use of than is repeated in later lines for body. And then Guruji states body again, but it is not than.

First than
15 ਤਨੁ ਸੂਚਾ ਸੋ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥
than soochaa so aakheeai jis mehi saachaa naao ||
That body is said to be pure, in which the True Name abides.

Next line, line 16, than is not stated, this is a different body -- the body of consciousness -- when consciousness is imbued with the Fear of Got, and when the tongue savor the Truthfulness ( the opposite of the falsehood of Maya)

Then immediately a different body that is not than.

16 ਭੈ ਸਚਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਦੇਹੁਰੀ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਆਉ ॥
bhai sach raathee dhaehuree jihavaa sach suaao ||
One whose body is imbued with the Fear of the True One, and whose tongue savors Truthfulness -- what happens? what is it like for that Gurmukh? Line 17 explains.

This body is greater than the mind and material consciousness.
It is brought to ecstasy.

17 Sਸਚੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲੀਐ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਾਉ ॥੨॥
sachee nadhar nihaaleeai bahurr n paavai thaao ||2||
is brought to ecstasy by the True Lord's Glance of Grace. That person does not have to go through the fire of the womb again. ||2||

That person experiences ecstasy -- this is given by God's grace. That person is not reborn. Ecstasy is the reward

Now here is why I think there are two lines that are talking about a body that is all of our consciousness, something that greater than our physical or our mental faculties. Lines 16 and 19.

Line 16 ਭੈ ਸਚਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਦੇਹੁਰੀ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਆਉ ॥ bhai sach raathee dhaehuree jihavaa sach suaao ||
One whose body is imbued with the Fear of the True One, and whose tongue savors Truthfulness -- what happens? what is it like for that Gurmukh?

and Line 19
ਪੰਚ ਭੂਤ ਸਚਿ ਭੈ ਰਤੇ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਚੀ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥ panch bhooth sach bhai rathae joth sachee man maahi ||The body of the five elements is dyed in the Fear of the True One; the mind is filled with the True Light.

Compare line 16 and line 19. In line 16 the body is imbued
rathae with fear of the True One. In line 19 the body is dyed, colored rathae with the fear of the True One. Guruji is repeated this idea -- a body that is imbued with fear. That body can only be that self that is not physical. It has to be something that can be transformed. When we dye or color something we transform it. So this body is something that is transformed by Fear of bhai sach, something that can savor the Truth and can be filled with the true light joth sachee

So why is this not than? But consciousness? Well the explanation starts here, and Guruji will finish the idea later in the Shabad. Guruji says, This is the reality, this is the truth. This what we need to know and be conscious of.

ਸਾਚੇ ਤੇ ਪਵਨਾ ਭਇਆ ਪਵਨੈ ਤੇ ਜਲੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
saachae thae pavanaa bhaeiaa pavanai thae jal hoe ||
From the True Lord came the air, and from the air came water.

18 ਜਲ ਤੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣੁ ਸਾਜਿਆ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮੋਇ ॥
jal thae thribhavan saajiaa ghatt ghatt joth samoe ||
From water, He created the three worlds; in each and every heart He has infused His Light.

18 ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਮੈਲਾ ਨਾ ਥੀਐ ਸਬਦਿ ਰਤੇ ਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥
niramal mailaa naa thheeai sabadh rathae path hoe ||3||
The Immaculate Lord does not become polluted. Attuned to the Shabad, honor is obtained. ||3||

He who has created everything, and is the source of the air and of water, and who created everything from air and water, is immaculate. He is pure. He is not polluted. His mind does not turn to rust. He has no demerits. No bugle need warn him. He has infused his light into every heart. Honor is obtained from the Shabad of this One. The mind that is contented with His Truth, that mind is a mind that has been blessed by His Grace.

19 ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਸਾਚਿ ਸੰਤੋਖਿਆ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
eihu man saach santhokhiaa nadhar karae this maahi ||
One whose mind is contented with Truthfulness, is blessed with the Lord's Glance of Grace.

So now we come to the conclusion. First we are told that we are being burnt, our minds rusted, our own self-deceit is our enemy. That without the truth we will continue in the cycle of life and death. Our mind must swim across and it must be transformed by the Fear of the True Lord, Next we are told about the Truth. Who is the Truth. How the Truth is obtained. Then we come to the conclusion. (continued on Ang 20)

Guruji finishes up with the point of the shabad. What should we learn? How should we understand things now that we have listened to Guruji?

ਪੰਚ ਭੂਤ ਸਚਿ ਭੈ ਰਤੇ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਚੀ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
panch bhooth sach bhai rathae joth sachee man maahi ||
The body of the five elements is dyed in the Fear of the True One; the mind is filled with the True Light.

What is Guruji talking about here -- the panch booth sach bhai rathhae - the five elements are air, water, fire, earth, and ether. This is what all of creation is made of. This is what a changed and transformed consciousness of creation is aware of. This consciousness that is dyed in the fear of the True One sach bhai ratthae is dyed a different color, that means -- it is changed, transformed; it is fille with joth sachee

Now earlier I thought this referred to consciousness of self, but that is the part I want to change. Now I think it consciousness of creation, a consciousness that is transformed. A consciousness that grasps much m ore.

Guruji finishes up.

ਨਾਨਕ ਅਉਗਣ ਵੀਸਰੇ ਗੁਰਿ ਰਾਖੇ ਪਤਿ ਤਾਹਿ ॥੪॥੧੫॥
naanak aougan veesarae gur raakhae path thaahi ||4||15||
O Nanak, your demerits shall be forgotten; the Guru shall preserve your honor. ||4||15||
And your worries, sins are forgotten. Your honor is preserved.

In this consciousness, your deficiencies are forgotten, forgiven by God, and Guru preserves you honor. :)

The puzzling lines make more sense now to me. Hope I wasn't too far off.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Respected aad ji

With due regards and without any disrespect I have to state that you have put in lot of labor and want to convey something seemingly very important and significant. I have spent some time on this. I am not with you exactly in the manner that you want me to read the analysis.

I think there are following problems.

1.Kindly do not consider transliterations in assigning the meaning. [‘Than’ is a physical body and in phonetics it is ‘tun’ like ‘mun’ for mind.]

2.Pl. do not change the serial number of the lines of shabads.

3. In any case I am highlighting the portion in Blue from where the things are not clear to me ,may be, on account of numbering of lines and I could not establish as to why should the ‘Tun’/Than not be a physical body ,may be you have to convey. But the message is lost.

4. I have nothing to believe that your analysis is incorrect or correct or it does fit in the context as I am not able to proceed on account of the problems stated above. In any case i am not a judge.I shall appreciate if you could simplify the things so that we can go to the essence of the matter that you have to state /convey.

On the other hand I believe that you have very important thing to be conveyed but due to my lack of appreciation of things I cannot comment upon this. This seems to be an excellent analysis though.It should be so simply on account of the fact that it has been analysed by you. I think I have put the things in perspective that language is the problem. I also want to add but on account of problems of/with Vocabulary won't endeavor to do so.
Regards

Posted below is the sabad and you may like to repost by adjusting the line no. accordingly. I really want to appreciate that you want me to do.

isrIrwgu mhl 1 ] (19-13)
Siree Raag, First Mehl:

Aaugx iPir lwgU Bey kUir vjwvY qUru ] (19-14, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
2.Demerits become one's enemies, and falsehood blows the bugle of attack.

ibnu sbdY BrmweIAY duibDw foby pUru ]1] (19-15, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
3.Without the Word of the Shabad, people wander lost in reincarnation. Through the love of duality, multitudes have been drowned. ||1||

mn ry sbid qrhu icqu lwie ] (19-15, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
4.O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.

ijin gurmuiK nwmu n bUiJAw mir jnmY AwvY jwie ]1] rhwau ] (19-15, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
5.Those who do not become Gurmukh do not understand the Naam; they die, and continue coming and going in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||

qnu sUcw so AwKIAY ijsu mih swcw nwau ] (19-16, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
6.That body is said to be pure, in which the True Name abides.

BY sic rwqI dyhurI ijhvw scu suAwau ] (19-17, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
7.One whose body is imbued with the Fear of the True One, and whose tongue savors Truthfulness,

scI ndir inhwlIAY bhuiV n pwvY qwau ]2] (19-17, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
8.is brought to ecstasy by the True Lord's Glance of Grace. That person does not have to go through the fire of the womb again. ||2||

swcy qy pvnw BieAw pvnY qy jlu hoie ] (19-18, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
9.From the True Lord came the air, and from the air came water.

jl qy iqRBvxu swijAw Git Git joiq smoie ] (19-18, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
10.From water, He created the three worlds; in each and every heart He has infused His Light.

inrmlu mYlw nw QIAY sbid rqy piq hoie ]3] (19-19, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
11.The Immaculate Lord does not become polluted. Attuned to the Shabad, honor is obtained. ||3||

iehu mnu swic sMqoiKAw ndir kry iqsu mwih ] (19-19, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
12. One whose mind is contented with Truthfulness, is blessed with the Lord's Glance of Grace.

pMc BUq sic BY rqy joiq scI mn mwih ] (20-1, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
13.The body of the five elements is dyed in the Fear of the True One; the mind is filled with the True Light.

nwnk Aaugx vIsry guir rwKy piq qwih ]4]15] (20-1, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
14.O Nanak, your demerits shall be forgotten; the Guru shall preserve your honor. ||4||15||

[Sikh80 ji,

Well I will try to add my understanding. You make good points above, especially in saying that things are occurring in the mind not the body. I am including the transliteration as well as the Gurbani font. I am also using the Sahib Singh translation. My approach is to walk through the shabad line by line and look at how the Guru's message has been structured. The progress from one line to the next is important. Idea builds on idea.

I have included the reference to Sriraag to begin with, not for the formality, but because Sriraag throughout has a a special quality of contemplation on the progress of the soul. I think this is important.

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲ ੧ ॥
sireeraag mehal 1 ||
Siree Raag, First Mehl:

Guru ji starts the sabad with this line. This is the premise on which the shabad is built. The starting point in the progression of ideas. Guruji is saying -- Here is where you are -- than your earthy body is burning, is turning to ashes, your death is inevitable, you are decaying, and even your mind is decaying, rusting through, because of your love of Maya. It is as if the illusion of Maya is like a drug that destroys the body and the mind. So Guruji is saying be aware of this because this is really happening to you.

ਤਨੁ ਜਲਿ ਬਲਿ ਮਾਟੀ ਭਇਆ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿ ਮਨੂਰੁ ॥
than jal bal maattee bhaeiaa man maaeiaa mohi manoor ||
The body is burnt to ashes; by its love of Maya, the mind is rusted through.

Then Guruji,in the next line, line 13, describes what the consequences of this love of Maya have brought us. Only misery. Our own demerits, failings, faults, sins have become our enemies, and this lie that we live, the falsehood, is like a bugle, sounding a warning, these enemies will destroy us.
13 ਅਉਗਣ ਫਿਰਿ ਲਾਗੂ ਭਏ ਕੂਰਿ ਵਜਾਵੈ ਤੂਰੁ ॥
aougan fir laagoo bheae koor vajaavai thoor ||
Demerits become one's enemies, and falsehood blows the bugle of attack.

Guruji in the next line, line 14, continues describing what has happened to us, and will happen to us. We will wanter around in reincarnation, when we are without the word of the Shabad bin sabadhai. Our love of duality -- this has been the defeat of multitudes.

14 ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਭਰਮਾਈਐ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਡੋਬੇ ਪੂਰੁ ॥੧॥
bin sabadhai bharamaaeeai dhubidhhaa ddobae poor ||1||
Without the Word of the Shabad, people wander lost in reincarnation. Through the love of duality, multitudes have been drowned. ||1||

So in these two lines Guruji explains that the body will die, the mind will rust, our sins will be our enemies, the lies and illusions, and actually the falsehoods, that we cling to in duality and Maya turn against us. And all this happens because we are without the Word of the Shabad. These are the consequences.

Next Guruji tells us what the mind must do about this swim across, The line is giving spiritual direction. Focus your consciousness on the Shabad.

man rae sabadh tharahu chith laae ||
O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.

And the consequence, it follows below. Those who do not become Gurmukh, who do not turn their faces to the Lord, do not understand the Naam -- What happens to them? They die mar janamai and are subject to coming and going, aavai jaae. Guruji here is speaking of a physical death -- they die, and they are caught in reincarnation.

ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਬੂਝਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
jin guramukh naam n boojhiaa mar janamai aavai jaae ||1|| rehaao ||

Those who do not become Gurmukh do not understand the Naam; they die, and continue coming and going in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||

This is the rehaao line -- we pause and think because the next part of the Shabad is going to change in content. At this point we understand this. Focus your consciousness on the Shabad, and become a Gurmukh, understand the Naam, because if you do not you will continue in reincarnation -- all those terrible things above. The misery of all of that falsehood and illusion will come back.

In the next section lines 15 through 17m Guruji explains what our reward will be when

man rae sabadh tharahu chith laae || O mind, swim across, by focusing your consciousness on the Shabad.

Each of these lines tells us what the treasure is for the Gurmukh.
=======================================================clear upto this====================
In line 15, the material body or physical body is stated, than, That body is pure in which the Saachaa naao resides. Line 16 will also talk about the body, but it is not the physical body, than, but the body of something that is more abstract and not physical at all. And it is not earthly but something much greater than earthly consciousness.

You will also notice that this use of than is repeated in later lines for body. And then Guruji states body again, but it is not than.

First than
ਤਨੁ ਸੂਚਾ ਸੋ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥

Next line, line 16, than is not stated, this is a different body -- the body of consciousness -- when consciousness is imbued with the Fear of Got, and when the tongue savor the Truthfulness ( the opposite of the falsehood of Maya)

Then immediately a different body that is not than.

ਭੈ ਸਚਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਦੇਹੁਰੀ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਆਉ ॥
One whose body is imbued with the Fear of the True One, and whose tongue savors Truthfulness -- what happens? what is it like for that Gurmukh? Line 17 explains.

This body is greater than the mind and material consciousness. It is brought to ecstasy.

17 Sਸਚੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲੀਐ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਾਉ ॥੨॥
sachee nadhar nihaaleeai bahurr n paavai thaao ||2||
is brought to ecstasy by the True Lord's Glance of Grace. That person does not have to go through the fire of the womb again. ||2||

That person experiences ecstasy -- this is given by God's grace. That person is not reborn. Ecstasy is the reward

Now here is why I think there are two lines that are talking about a body that is all of our consciousness, something that greater than our physical or our mental faculties. Lines 16 and 19.

Line 16 ਭੈ ਸਚਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਦੇਹੁਰੀ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਆਉ ॥
One whose body is imbued with the Fear of the True One, and whose tongue savors Truthfulness -- what happens? what is it like for that Gurmukh?

and Line 19
panch bhooth sach bhai rathae joth sachee man maahi ||The body of the five elements is dyed in the Fear of the True One; the mind is filled with the True Light.

Compare line 16 and line 19. In line 16 the body is imbued rathae with fear of the True One. In line 19 the body is dyed, colored rathae with the fear of the True One. Guruji is repeated this idea -- a body that is imbued with fear. That body can only be that self that is not physical. It has to be something that can be transformed. When we dye or color something we transform it. So this body is something that is transformed by Fear of bhai sach, something that can savor the Truth and can be filled with the true light joth sachee
So why is this not than? But consciousness? Well the explanation starts here, and Guruji will finish the idea later in the Shabad. Guruji says, This is the reality, this is the truth. This what we need to know and be conscious of.
ਸਾਚੇ ਤੇ ਪਵਨਾ ਭਇਆ ਪਵਨੈ ਤੇ ਜਲੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
saachae thae pavanaa bhaeiaa pavanai thae jal hoe ||
From the True Lord came the air, and from the air came water.

ਜਲ ਤੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣੁ ਸਾਜਿਆ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮੋਇ ॥
jal thae thribhavan saajiaa ghatt ghatt joth samoe ||
From water, He created the three worlds; in each and every heart He has infused His Light.

ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਮੈਲਾ ਨਾ ਥੀਐ ਸਬਦਿ ਰਤੇ ਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥
niramal mailaa naa thheeai sabadh rathae path hoe ||3||
The Immaculate Lord does not become polluted. Attuned to the Shabad, honor is obtained. ||3||

He who has created everything, and is the source of the air and of water, and who created everything from air and water, is immaculate. He is pure. He is not polluted. His mind does not turn to rust. He has no demerits. No bugle need warn him. He has infused his light into every heart. Honor is obtained from the Shabad of this One. The mind that is contented with His Truth, that mind is a mind that has been blessed by His Grace.

19 ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਸਾਚਿ ਸੰਤੋਖਿਆ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
eihu man saach santhokhiaa nadhar karae this maahi ||
One whose mind is contented with Truthfulness, is blessed with the Lord's Glance of Grace.

So now we come to the conclusion. First we are told that we are being burnt, our minds rusted, our own self-deceit is our enemy. That without the truth we will continue in the cycle of life and death. Our mind must swim across and it must be transformed by the Fear of the True Lord, Next we are told about the Truth. Who is the Truth. How the Truth is obtained. Then we come to the conclusion. (continued on Ang 20)

Guruji finishes up with the point of the shabad. What should we learn? How should we understand things now that we have listened to Guruji?

The body of the five elements is dyed in the Fear of the True One; the mind is filled with the True Light.

What is Guruji talking about here -- the panch booth sach bhai rathhae - the five elements are air, water, fire, earth, and ether. This is what all of creation is made of. This is what a changed and transformed consciousness of creation is aware of. This consciousness that is dyed in the fear of the True One sach bhai ratthae is dyed a different color, that means -- it is changed, transformed; it is fille with joth sachee

Now earlier I thought this referred to consciousness of self, but that is the part I want to change. Now I think it consciousness of creation, a consciousness that is transformed. A consciousness that grasps much m ore.

Guruji finishes up.

ਨਾਨਕ ਅਉਗਣ ਵੀਸਰੇ ਗੁਰਿ ਰਾਖੇ ਪਤਿ ਤਾਹਿ ॥੪॥੧੫॥
naanak aougan veesarae gur raakhae path thaahi ||4||15||
O Nanak, your demerits shall be forgotten; the Guru shall preserve your honor. ||4||15||
And your worries, sins are forgotten. Your honor is preserved.

In this consciousness, your deficiencies are forgotten, forgiven by God, and Guru preserves you honor.

The puzzling lines make more sense now to me. Hope I wasn't too far off.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Having stated all this and after having a re-look at the things I really feel guilty of not doing any justice to your efforts. I may kindly be forgiven for this and also for the crude and harsh language that could have been well avoided.

Regards.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Actually Sikh80 ji

You should not be expressing any regrets or apologies. You have done something which fulfills my ideal of what a forum should look like. A conversation. Yes I spent time and effort but understanding is something that grows. You looked at what I wrote and said you don't fully get my meaning and would I please elaborate. And that is very key to a discussion. Now it is my responsibility and opportunity to be clear and make sense. What I have never liked in forum discussion is when someone swoops down like a bird -- says this and that and you are wrong and your brains are twisted -- and then flies off. i can't continue right now but look forward to going back in a few hours. Problem is I only have about 1/2 hour online right now and then have to go off to do some other things.

P/S the transliterations are needed for people who know Punjabi but can't read Gurbani font. There are plenty like that. Don't we have to consider them too?

Thanks for your comments.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Respected aad ji,

Yes, it is true that we should continue with the discussion and that is important but I am over loaded with the feeling of guilt and It shall take time to shed it off.

I did put in efforts to make out the things but my level of appreciation of the things is not the same as yours . Our carrier frequency may not be exactly the same. We have impressions of Gurbani that is almost inscripted and one tends to be guided by that is already established. Hence even if the message is properly modulated by our thoughts it is always the demodulator who has to segregate the message and the carrier. Because of this bias of the demodulator that things appear as they should not be. We also do not have reasonable means to get over this process of erroneous demodulation.

With this background in mind one tends to arrive at the conclusions that are already drawn or are in the vicinity of them.A close resemblance is accepted by mind. But if some new meaning is assigned mind becomes susceptible ab initio.

I also have this kind of a colored vision and taking new meanings with this coloring makes things difficult.
I have very recently arrived at the meanings of the lines etc., . Making mind to accept that varies significantly from the assigned meaning becomes a difficult proposition.
It is ,however, assured that I shall respond with positive and open frame of mind when you explain the things. I am no one to offer comments on the research carried by you as I am not a person who is competent to do that. I have stated all that came to my mind after devoting almost two hours in the morning. I re-looked at the things at noonish but could not proceed further on account of the difficulties stated above.

I have great regards for you and one need not express in words time and again. In fact i look forward to your posts as you are working very hard at the things and making us learn new things. With this spirit in mind i shall close now. As usual there are likely to be mistakes in this post as well. Pl. do forgive again. Let us give it a break for sometime. Kindly reply at your convenience. we are all here.
How I wish to be in US right away!
Regards.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
:eek: I don't know what to say. If you come to the US send me a pm and we can go to some good gurdwaras. Very spiritual places in their own way. Or, if that is too too too stuffy, you tell me and I will try my best.

Please do not think I am ignoring your questions. Tonight I will have more time to think about your questions -- when things quiet down around here.:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikh80 ji

This is one of the parts you highlighted in blue.

What I am thinking is that Guruji is speaking about two different ideas of body. When Guruji talks about than that is the physical, the body that is burnt to ashes. This is the part that is deluded b Maya. Then Guruji progresses to speaking about consciousness -- the "body" which must be dyed or dyed by Fear and so tranfsormed by Fear.

One line is about than and the next line is translated to mean "body" but is about a different sense of body..

The first time this is written it looks like this.

15 ਤਨੁ ਸੂਚਾ ਸੋ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥

Then immediately a different body that is not than, is referred to. This "body" is imbued with Fear, and its tongue savors Truthfulness.

16 ਭੈ ਸਚਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਦੇਹੁਰੀ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਆਉ ॥
One whose body is imbued with the Fear of the True One, and whose tongue savors Truthfulness -- what happens?

and then Guruji says it again

This "body" again is not the physical body. It a body of conscousness -- the body of the five elements -- therefore consciousness of all of creation. When this body is dyed in the Fear of the True One, it is transformed, and then it is filled with the True Light.

So there is this progression:

1. The material body than is burned, destroyed, as we speak, and its mind is being rusted away. This is the body and the mind in delusion.

2. Nothing can over come the coming and going of reincarnation until a different "body" is transformed by Fear. When its tongue speaks Truthfulness. When it becomes Gurmukh.

3. Then when the body, conscious of the 5 elements, our consciousness of creation, when it is transformed by Fear, then it will be imbued with the Light of the Lord.

Leave Maya behind, become a Gurmukh, be filled with the True Light, you will never be subject to the cycle of life and death.

Also you raised this question.

3. In any case I am highlighting the portion in Blue from where the things are not clear to me ,may be, on account of numbering of lines and I could not establish as to why should the ‘Tun’/Than not be a physical body ,may be you have to convey. But the message is lost.

I am saying that than is the physical body. Sorry about the line numbering. I could go back and put the numbers in.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Respected aad ji,

Thanks for the explanation. May be with time I shall learn more and appreciate the view point expressed as above.

I have another question for you.

In the followings there is an allusion to Shiva, Brahma...etc.,
What is the contextual meaning that is being stated in Jap Ji sahib Paudi.? I had skipped this line while discussing the paudi.
The portion stated is highlighted below.

He cannot be established, He cannot be created.
He Himself is Immaculate and Pure.
Those who serve Him are honored.
O Nanak, sing of the Lord, the Treasure of Excellence.
Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.
Your pain shall be sent far away, and peace shall come to your home.
The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading.
The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi.
Even knowing God, I cannot describe Him; He cannot be described in words.
The Guru has given me this one understanding:
there is only the One, the Giver of all souls. May I never forget Him! ||5||

Last edited by a moderator:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Sikh80 ji

aad00002 ji might have missed this post, if you allow me, I can say a little as I understand it.
If you read above Guru vaak, it says the one who are tuned to Guru(understand Guru as well), comprehend that he permeates every where there for for us Guru is the best, guru ji our Shiva, Guru is our brahma, Guru is Gorakh yogi and guru is Parvatimai. Following Guru vaak makes further clear that HE is inexpressible even after understanding Him through Guru. My reference sources are Bhai Veer Singh and Dr. Sahib singh. Bhai Veer Singh actually explains in a better way though idea and meanings remain the same.
Here duality is at target putting immense respect and faith in Guru. Inspiring idea is to have HIM in our thoughts.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks pk70 ji and apologies Sikh80 ji. I don't remember why I did not answer your question. Let me give it some thought. This is an area that always gets me into trouble. I have a somewhat unconventional understanding of the use of Hindu gods in Gurbani that gets me in trouble with various forum members. I will get back to you.

Feb 14, 2006
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵੇਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਈ ॥
guramukh naadhan guramukh vaedhan guramukh rehiaa samaaee ||
The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading.

ਗੁਰੁ ਈਸਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੋਰਖੁ ਬਰਮਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਮਾਈ ॥
gur eesar gur gorakh baramaa gur paarabathee maaee ||
The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi.

ਜੇ ਹਉ ਜਾਣਾ ਆਖਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਹਣਾ ਕਥਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥
jae ho jaanaa aakhaa naahee kehanaa kathhan n jaaee ||
Even knowing God, I cannot describe Him; He cannot be described in words.

ਗੁਰਾ ਇਕ ਦੇਹਿ ਬੁਝਾਈ ॥
guraa eik dhaehi bujhaaee ||
The Guru has given me this one understanding:

ਸਭਨਾ ਜੀਆ ਕਾ ਇਕੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਸੋ ਮੈ ਵਿਸਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੫॥
sabhanaa jeeaa kaa eik dhaathaa so mai visar n jaaee ||5||
there is only the One, the Giver of all souls. May I never forget Him! ||5||
~SGGS Ji p. 2

First the Guru is a Sanskrit word which means the Light which dispels the darkness. When the pauri says eik dhaathaa, it is saying the Guru is only One, the giver of all beings. So we know this Guru is referring to none other than the One Primal Uncreated God. Yet, we have this reference to multiplicity with the tuuk:

First consider that the human brain is formed in the duality perceived by material existence in the pakrti which is the sansaaric world of the three gunas: satto, rajo, tamo. This is because those three qualities are forms of energy which flow through the pakrti, and relate to embodied consciousness.

Guna: a constituent, strand, or dimension of prakrit

So the very nature of the human mind in sansaara is the misperception of duality of opposites and corresponding likes, dislikes, attachment, repulsion, identification and rejection. The very nature of the human mind is to perceive in forms of opposites. So the eik dhaathaa which is literally indescribable is perceived as describable forms as Hindu devas. But the truth is, this is Oneness, which Gurbani says is the nirgun and sargun nature of the One Primal Divine Beloved.

To understand this, the Bhagavad-Gita makes it clear there are different types of purusha being discussed. When the purusha, or small atma is speaking, it is from the bondage of ego-identity and material pakrti. Yet, there is a liberated jeevan which is speaking from God-consciousness, as the One Primal Parabrahm permeates all forms. And there is the final Supreme Paramatman who is uncreated.

So I believe when the tuuk is saying Guru is Mahesh, Vishnu and Brahma, it is speaking in context of the Light manifestation of the One reflecting through the forms. All that Gurbani says is the forms which manifest the Light become darkened because of the qualities of material manifestation. It does not say anywhere they are mythological forms, ideological references to Hindu theology for sake of familiarity. But clearly Gurbani says in many places that the One Parabrahm is pervading all and has manifest in the forms of Hindu devas and the ten incarnations of Vishnu. But Gurbani clearly distinguishes the different forms of atman from the Primal uncreated Ik Oangkar. And Gurbani says in many places because even the Mahadevas fell into Maya they could not provide liberation, mukti. So the Primal Shabad, the Sruti which was the sound current pervading the Vedas, (Light is sound at higher dimensions perceived at a lower scale), the Naad vibrates the sound into sansaara as the final Light of God in the Kalyug because the previous legs of religion have fallen down. No one can be saved without the Naam, which is from the Shabad, which is from the Naad. So the manifestation of God's Jyot in this age is the Sound current itself.
Bhagavan Shree Krishnan (Shreeman Narayanan) says "There are two types of Purushaas - first type is that Kshara purusha who is bound (baddha jeevaatman) in the material world in his material body. The second type is the Akshara purusha who is liberated from this material world who is mukta and another type in this itself is nitya who is eternally untouched by the material bindings. But the supreme purusha is different from these Jeevaatmans and he is called as Paramaatman who pervades the entire universe and controls everything as the unparalleled and unsurpassed infinite Lord. As I (Krishna - Shreeman Narayanan) transcend the Kshara purusha as well as the Akshara purusha, I am celebrated in all the Smruties and the Apourusheya Veda as Purushoththaman - The Supreme Self"
Sri Visistadvaitha Tutorial - Lesson Eight

Śruti (Devanagari श्रुित, "what is heard") is a canon of Hindu sacred texts. They do not date to a particular period, but rather stretch across the entire history of Hinduism, beginning with the some of the earliest known Hindu texts, spanning into the modern period with the Upanishads.

Śruti has no author; rather, it is divine recording of the "cosmic sounds of truth", heard by rishis (saints or sages).

Śábda is the Sanskrit for "sound, speech" In Sanskrit grammar, the term refers to an utterance in the sense of linguistic performance. Katyayana stated that shabda "speech" is eternal (nitya), as is artha "meaning", and their mutual relation. According to Patanjali, sphoṭa ("meaning") is not identical with shabda, but rather its permanent aspect, while dhvani "sound, acoustics" is its ephemereal aspect. Bhartrihari on the other hand held a shabda-advaita position, identifying shabda as indivisible, unifying cognition and linguistic performance, ultimately identical with Brahman.
Shabda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AUM is the eternal sound emanated at the time of creation. It is composed of three syllables viz: A U M. The mind has three important states: waking, dreaming, and sleeping. The word A, U, M represents all the three states: A=waking, U=dreaming, M=sleeping. The last syllable M, when pronounced, is followed by a deep silence and that is the fourth state of mind known a s turiya. By chanting AUM the mind transcends from three states of waking, dreaming, and sleeping to the fourth state of turya and experiences silence. When the mind goes deep into the depths of this silence, it hears the cosmic sound of AUM. This emanates from the prana (vital vibration) which fills the universe.
My Pilgrimage to Gayatri Mantra, Manohar Abhay

If you read very closely, you can see parallels in what Gurbani is saying about the Shabad, the Naad and the fourth state tureeya, or ਚਉਥਾ ਪਦ, by which the consciousness transcends ordinary mind, sansaara, brain itself and perceives intuitively the Primal Oneness as unending sound or anehad shabad. This state is sehaj samaadhi, also known as tureeya.

In Hindu philosophy, turiya (or chaturtha) is a state of pure consciousness, or the experience of ultimate reality and truth. It is a fourth state of consciousness that underlies and transcends the three common states of consciousness: the state of waking consciousness (jagrata), the state of dreaming (svapna), and dreamless sleep (susupti)...

Turiya represents consciousness free from material influence. The idea is that consciousness, of which the atman is constituted, exists in our wakeful state of material experience, as it continues during sleep. In sleep we dream and experience the mental realm, whereas during our waking state the physical plane has more bearing on our lives.

Upon awakening from deep dreamless sleep, one remembers existing in that condition. This is evidenced by the common expression, 'I slept well!' One cannot remember something one has no experience of.

Thus, in deep sleep when intelligence is transformed by tamo guna, the self continues to exist, as it does when intelligence is transformed by rajo guna during the dream condition and during the wakeful condition when intellect is transformed by sattva guna. The self is independent of the body and mind. If the physical and mental realms were to shut down, the self would continue to exist. This we know from our experience in deep sleep. Realizing this involves entering the turiya.

The Bhagavata Purana, verse 11.15.16 describes Bhagavan as turiyakhye (the fourth), defined in the Bhagavad Gita, verse 7.3 as:

"Within the material world the Lord appears as the three Visnus (gunas). The original form of the Lord is another form still. He is beyond material nature and thus known as the fourth."
ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਚਉਥਾ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇ ॥
thrai gun maaeiaa mohu hai guramukh chouthhaa padh paae ||
The three qualities hold people in attachment to Maya. The Gurmukh attains the fourth state of higher consciousness.

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੇਲਾਇਅਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥
kar kirapaa maelaaeian har naam vasiaa man aae ||
Granting His Grace, God unites us with Himself. The Name of the Lord comes to abide within the mind.
~SGGS Ji p. 30

ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਵਰਤਹਿ ਸਗਲ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਪਤਿ ਖੋਈ ॥
thrai gun varathehi sagal sansaaraa houmai vich path khoee ||
The three qualities permeate the whole world; acting in ego, it loses its honor.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਚਉਥਾ ਪਦੁ ਚੀਨੈ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਈ ॥੩॥
guramukh hovai chouthhaa padh cheenai raam naam sukh hoee ||3||
But one who becomes Gurmukh comes to realize the fourth state of celestial bliss; he finds peace through the Name of the Lord. ||3||

ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਸਭਿ ਤੇਰੇ ਤੂ ਆਪੇ ਕਰਤਾ ਜੋ ਤੂ ਕਰਹਿ ਸੁ ਹੋਈ ॥
thrai gun sabh thaerae thoo aapae karathaa jo thoo karehi s hoee ||
The three qualities are all Yours, O Lord; You Yourself created them. Whatever You do, comes to pass.

ਨਾਨਕ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਿ ਨਿਸਤਾਰਾ ਸਬਦੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਖੋਈ ॥੪॥੧੨॥
naanak raam naam nisathaaraa sabadhae houmai khoee ||4||12||
O Nanak, through the Lord's Name, one is emancipated; through the Shabad, he is rid of egotism. ||4||12||
~SGGS Ji p. 604

~bhul chak maaf karni ji

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Quote”And it doesn't make sense to us logically that God is God, and at the same time Krishna could be a manifestation of God”
It is the spiritual knowledge which is hard to swallow through logic, Guru Nanak ji asked us to find HIM within us after eliminating doors and locks of anger, ego, greed etc we protect every day unconsciously (GGSJi 877) Logic never works in spiritual pursuit, the high spiritual experience stops dividing His creation on the basis of History or any man made assertion. Tragedy of all is this that to whom Guru ji spoke so clearly and openly are engulfed with tons of loads of philosophy which was proved to be of no value by Guru Ji in this search.

Quote”Both the Vedic concepts of Pakrti and Purusha are reflected in Gurbani”
Guru ji referred many things, we do not need to stick to them. Here are two examples, please after reading do not say Guru ji agrees that Ganges water is pure because he is just using prevailed accepted idea to give his idea, sometimes it can be very sticky, only those can understand who keep the totality of Gurbani in mind while studying it.
ਪੁੰਨ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਪੁੰਨਦਾਨ [/FONT]ਕਾ [/FONT]ਕਰੇ [/FONT]ਸਰੀਰੁ [/FONT][/FONT]
पुंन दान का करे सरीरु
Punn ḏān kā karė sarīr.
He, who with his body gives in charity and alms all he can;
ਜਿਹੜਾ ਕੋਈ ਆਪਣੀ ਦੇਹ ਨਾਲ ਜਿੰਨਾ ਭੀ ਉਹ ਕਰ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ,

ਸੋ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਸੋਗਿਰਹੀ [/FONT]ਗੰਗਾ [/FONT]ਕਾ [/FONT]ਨੀਰੁ [/FONT][/FONT]
सो गिरही गंगा का नीरु
So girhī gangā kā nīr.
That house-holder is pure like the water of Ganges.
ਖੈਰਾਤ ਤੇ ਸਖਾਵਤ ਵਿੱਚ ਦਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਗ੍ਰਹਿਸਤੀ ਗੰਗਾ ਦੇ ਪਾਣੀ ਵਰਗਾ ਪਵਿੱਤਰ ਹੈ
ਗੰਗਾ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਗੰਗਾਜਉ [/FONT]ਗੋਦਾਵਰਿ [/FONT]ਜਾਈਐ [/FONT]ਕੁੰਭਿ [/FONT]ਜਉ [/FONT]ਕੇਦਾਰ [/FONT]ਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਈਐ [/FONT]ਗੋਮਤੀ [/FONT]ਸਹਸ [/FONT]ਗਊ [/FONT]ਦਾਨੁ [/FONT]ਕੀਜੈ [/FONT][/FONT]
गंगा जउ गोदावरि जाईऐ कु्मभि जउ केदार न्हाईऐ गोमती सहस गऊ दानु कीजै
Gangā ja*o goḏāvar jā*ī*ai kumbẖ ja*o kėḏār nĥā*ī*ai gomṯī sahas ga*ū ḏān kījai.
If one goes to the Ganges and Godawari every twelfth year, or bathes at Kedar Nath, or makes alms of thousands of cows at Gomti.
ਜੇਕਰ ਇਨਸਾਨ ਹਰ ਬਾਰ੍ਹਵੇਂ ਸਾਲ ਗੰਗਾ ਅਤੇ ਗੋਦਾਵਰੀ ਜਾਵੇ, ਜਾਂ ਕਿਦਾਰਨਾਥ ਦਾ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਕਰੇ, ਜਾਂ ਗੋਮਤੀ ਤੇ ਹਜ਼ਾਰਾਂ ਹੀ ਗਾਈਆਂ ਪੁੰਨ ਦਾਨ ਕਰੇ,

ਕੋਟਿ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਕੋਟਿਜਉ [/FONT]ਤੀਰਥ [/FONT]ਕਰੈ [/FONT]ਤਨੁ [/FONT]ਜਉ [/FONT]ਹਿਵਾਲੇ [/FONT]ਗਾਰੈ [/FONT]ਰਾਮ [/FONT]ਨਾਮ [/FONT]ਸਰਿ [/FONT]ਤਊ [/FONT] [/FONT]ਪੂਜੈ [/FONT][/FONT]੨॥
कोटि जउ तीरथ करै तनु जउ हिवाले गारै राम नाम सरि तऊ पूजै ॥२॥
Kot ja*o ṯirath karai ṯan ja*o hivālė gārai rām nām sar ṯa*ū na pūjai. ||2||
If he performs millions of pilgrimages of holies or freezes his body in the Himalayas; Even then all these equal not the Lord's Name.
ਜੇਕਰ ਉਹ ਕ੍ਰੋੜਾਂ ਹੀ ਧਰਮ ਅਸਥਾਨਾਂ ਦੀਆਂ ਯਾਤ੍ਰਾ ਕਰ ਲਵੇ, ਜਾਂ ਆਪਣੀ ਦੇਹ ਨੂੰ ਹਿਮਾਲਿਆ ਵਿੱਚ ਠੰਡ ਨਾਲ ਗਾਲ ਦੇਵੇ, ਤਾਂ ਭੀ ਇਹ ਸਾਰੇ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦੇ ਤੁਲ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੁਜਦੇ
Guru ji using all accepted pilgrimage and rejecting their importance in concept of purity of soul. Guru ji has to say about all these popular names, nothing more than that, I shall give you another example to prove how guru ji is just referring but not verifying the reality of those ones.
. Quote "In Gurbani the Primal Purusha is called ਪੁਰਖ.
ਧਰਣਿ ਗਗਨ ਨਹ ਦੇਖਉ ਦੋਇ
dhharan gagan neh dhaekho dhoe ||
In the earth and in the sky, I do not see any second.

ਨਾਰੀ ਪੁਰਖ ਸਬਾਈ ਲੋਇ ੩॥
naaree purakh sabaaee loe ||3||
Among all the women and the men, His Light is shining. ||3||

ਰਵਿ ਸਸਿ ਦੇਖਉ ਦੀਪਕ ਉਜਿਆਲਾ
rav sas dhaekho dheepak oujiaalaa ||
In the lamps of the sun and the moon, I see His Light.

ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮੁ ਬਾਲਾ ੪॥
sarab niranthar preetham baalaa ||4||
Dwelling among all is my ever-youthful Beloved. ||4||
~SGGS Ji p. 223"

Above is very clear description of HIS Sargun form, in that come all accepted Devtas and other so called enlightened ones. Here problem is that, it is very hard to understand the fact that His light is every where with logic. In the above Guru Vaak is a display of a state of mind that sees clearly Him in His creation, other minds just boggle.
"ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਦੀਸੈ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪਸਾਰੁ
guramukh dheesai breham pasaar ||
The Gurmukh sees God pervading everywhere.

ਸਗਲ [/FONT]ਪਰਾਧ [/FONT]ਦੇਹਿ [/FONT]ਲੋਰੋਨੀ [/FONT]
sagal paraadhh dhaehi loronee ||
You sing lullabyes to your stone god - this is the source of all your mistakes.

[/FONT]
ਸੋ [/FONT]ਮੁਖੁ [/FONT]ਜਲਉ [/FONT]ਜਿਤੁ [/FONT]ਕਹਹਿ [/FONT]ਠਾਕੁਰੁ [/FONT]ਜੋਨੀ [/FONT]੩॥
so mukh jalo jith kehehi thaakur jonee ||3||
Let that mouth be burnt, which says that our Lord and Master is subject to birth. ||3||

[/FONT]
ਜਨਮਿ [/FONT] [/FONT]ਮਰੈ [/FONT] [/FONT]ਆਵੈ [/FONT] [/FONT]ਜਾਇ [/FONT]
janam n marai n aavai n jaae ||
He is not born, and He does not die; He does not come and go in reincarnation.

[/FONT]
ਨਾਨਕ [/FONT]ਕਾ [/FONT]ਪ੍ਰਭੁ [/FONT]ਰਹਿਓ [/FONT]ਸਮਾਇ [/FONT]੪॥੧॥
naanak kaa prabh rehiou samaae ||4||1||
[/FONT]
The God of Nanak is pervading and permeating everywhere. ||4||1||
~SGGS Ji p. 1136

Quote “Here Gurbani is talking about the error of making the Supreme Primal uncreated into a stone idol, like worshipping picture frames and not the Reality. It says that the Parabrahm Nirankar is pervading and manifest everywhere”.
Bhain ji ,That is a lame interpretation, and a narrow judgment which is colored with another belief Guru ji never advocates. It is not only about idol, it is about Krishana’s ( the known God)accepted birthday well known as Janam Ashtami and Guru ji says HE does not take birth on a particular day, it is not needed to be celebrated as birthday of GOD if any one says that, his/her tongue should be burnt. Idol thing comes after that, then Guru ji addresses the stone and image of Krishna. When we talk about incarnation of God, we do not need any special dictionary, God just doesn’t take birth individually and HIS being every where should not be mixed with God incarnation, it is that simple, one needs not to be science scholar to understand that or to quote old scriptures. I have read given quotes from GGS Ji, not a single one of them supports that Guru ji used “Sach, Satt”( truth, reality) words with Hindu devtas. These words : sach, Satt” are about reality( if it is used, it is all about His sargun Sroop in totality, not in any particular(Asa dee Vaar), Yes,it is used for GOD. Were they reality or not, Gurbani doesn’t care about that because important is Guru Message, rest is immaterial. If we go by contrary to Gurbani and accept them reality, idol worshiping is as valid as God worshiping, here is the idea if we Sikhs consider them reality and their influence( though it is contrary to Gurbani.) Here is the point. God takes birth, he took birth in the form of Krisshna and Rama, shiva etc, the idols are just symbols, worship is not done to stones but to the power behind the symbols. Therefore that worship is also of GOD who takes birth time to time to solve worldly problems as per Hindu thought. Now going with this philosophy of reality of devtas which is stressed again and again by using Gurbani in a wrong context, this way, Guru Message comes under question! Why to be critic of a idol then?, it is just a symbol, attention is towards His incarnation-Him, there fore it is alright to do what is being done in context of idol worshiping. Why then Guru ji just started questioning them? Did Guru ji fail to understand symbolism? In fact,Truth goes behind it, it is not Guru ji's fault, Guru ji is very clear, it is old Hindu nostalgia of the converts (from Hinduism) that hangs over centuries and will continue as per His Hukm. Guru ji actually made it clear that only HIM the source of all should be worshiped not His creation( realty or not), seek help from Him who creates every thing, no need to be in duality, there are millions like Ram or Krishna, some are known and some are not even known to us, just don’t bother about them, stick to Him, listen to Guru message only and be worthy of Him, those who are just like beggars at HIS door, why to waste time on them. Gurmat is very clear, Gurbani uses a lot of prevailed words related to customs, devtas and other things but only as references, period. Nothing is more there. Who were they, were they actually there? Gurbani never uses any word that can verify their reality at all. It was a only way of enlightening people who were exposed to only these customs, Devtas and imaginative stories.
ਸੁੰਨਹੁ ਉਪਜੇ ਦਸ ਅਵਤਾਰਾ
sunnahu oupajae dhas avathaaraa ||
From the Primal Void, the ten incarnations welled up.

t is undeniable that Gurbani makes a point to recognize and list the ten incarnations/avataars, ਦਸ ਅਵਤਾਰਾ as deriving from the Primal Void. These are the ten incarnations/avataars of Vishnu as creative principle manifesting the Jyot of the God as deriving from the Absolute Parabrahm nirguna.
ਕਿਸਨੁ ਸਦਾ ਅਵਤਾਰੀ ਰੂਧਾ ਕਿਤੁ ਲਗਿ ਤਰੈ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ
kisan sadhaa avathaaree roodhhaa kith lag tharai sansaaraa ||
Vishnu is always busy reincarnating himself - who will save the world?

ਕਿਸਨੁ ਸਦਾ ਅਵਤਾਰੀ ਰੂਧਾ ਕਿਤੁ ਲਗਿ ਤਰੈ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ
kisan sadhaa avathaaree roodhhaa kith lag tharai sansaaraa ||
Vishnu is always busy reincarnating himself - who will save the world?

Quote 'Gurbani makes it clear the Hindu devas and the incarnations are a reality and serve a creative purpose in manifesting the nirgun in perceivable form.
It does not say they were reality, Guru ji is saying that the one( Vishnu) who is already punished by HIM by putting him incarnations how can he save any one. That Guru Vaak does not say”Eh Sach hai or Satt Hai” It could be imaginative reality. Guru ji used these words, “ dhavla, Ganges, ajrail frishta(esriel angel), chitrgupt, dharm raj but does Guru ji believe in them? or is he saying that they are reality but he just does not accept them? There is bhai santokh Singh, interprets Gurbani keeping Vedas his base for that, he himself contradicts his own meaning. It happens when Gurbani is used for own personal views. Gurbani is very clear, following are more references but all Sikhs know Guru ji doesn’t believe in all of them, if they are used as references, it doesn’t mean they are reality
Page 315, Line 4
ਅਜਰਾਈਲੁ ਫਰੇਸਤਾ ਤਿਲ ਪੀੜੇ ਘਾਣੀ ੨੭॥
अजराईलु फरेसता तिल पीड़े घाणी ॥२७॥
Ajrā*īl farėsā il pīė gāī. ||27||
Azraa-eel, the Angel of Death, shall crush them like sesame seeds in the oil-press. ||27||
Guru Arjan Dev

ਧੌਲੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦਇਆ ਕਾ ਪੂਤੁ
धौलु धरमु दइआ का पूतु
Ḏẖoul ḏẖaram a*i*ā kā pū.
The mythical bull is Dharma, the son of compassion;(Japji)
ਪੰਨਾ 6, ਸਤਰ 6[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]ਗਾਵਹਿ [/FONT]ਚਿਤੁ [/FONT]ਗੁਪਤੁ [/FONT]ਲਿਖਿ [/FONT]ਜਾਣਹਿ [/FONT]ਲਿਖਿ [/FONT]ਲਿਖਿ [/FONT]ਧਰਮੁ [/FONT]ਵੀਚਾਰੇ [/FONT]
[/FONT]गावहि [/FONT]चितु [/FONT]गुपतु [/FONT]लिखि [/FONT]जाणहि [/FONT]लिखि [/FONT]लिखि [/FONT]धरमु [/FONT]वीचारे [/FONT]
[/FONT] Gāvahi ci gupa likeh lik lik ḏẖaram vīcārė.
Chitr and Gupt, the angels of the conscious and the subconscious who record actions, and the Righteous Judge of Dharma who judges this record sing.

Guru ji expresses his ideas by referring the old ones, that is the purpose of all references used in GGS Ji, nothing more.

Feb 14, 2006
Tragedy of all is this that to whom Guru ji spoke so clearly and openly are engulfed with tons of loads of philosophy which was proved to be of no value by Guru Ji in this search.
While spirituality is something which unfolds with ease and according to karam, Sikhism isn't "anti-philosophy." It's always a surprise to me that Sikhs will pursue advanced studies, medicine, law, business degrees, but when it comes to Sikhism, many can't explain the most basic concepts. So I disagree with you that philosophy and katha are of "no value."

Let me explain something. When a person tries to explain a spiritual experience in words, every word he speaks is a step away from that experience. Every word is a step away from the intimacy because it begins to involve concepts of the mind, mental constructs to explain what is perceived psychologically, emotionally, and with the spiritual element.

This doesn't mean that learning spiritual concepts is a waste of time or without value. I don't agree with anti-intellectualism as it tends to promote cultic philosophies based on blind faith rather than investigation. This is the problem with religion today, many just blindly follow, and this lack of insight, lack of investigation hinders experience. Just as you wouldn't send an untrained, unprepared, unbriefed soldier into the field of battle, so you would not send an unprepared Sikh and expect him to encounter the many philosophies and religions with only defensive reaction and not well-reasoned, insightful knowledge. I think we invest so much into pursuits to make money, and not enough to be able to intelligently discuss Sikhism.

Logic never works in spiritual pursuit, the high spiritual experience stops dividing His creation on the basis of History or any man made assertion.
The logic I was referring to was that multiplicity in manifest form doesn't make sense to the human brain as Oneness. And because of this, Abrahamic belief systems cannot reconcile that the Supreme Oneness could be pervading in His creation or manifest within it as God-conscious realization. You seem not to be able to digest that previous forms of spirituality in past ages served a function of genuine religion and spirituality. You seem not to be able to reconcile how the Parabrahm could be manifest in an avatara if that avatara was caught in the three gunas. Yet I've explained that anything manifest in physical form is by nature caught in the three qualities of Maya and duality. It negates that the Supreme Uncreated God could ever be manifest in materiality, and is forever separate from His creation. Yet Gurbani clearly states:

ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਮੇਰੈ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਕੀਨਾ ਆਪੇ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਏ ॥
maaeiaa mohu maerai prabh keenaa aapae bharam bhulaaeae ||
Emotional attachment to Maya is created by my God; He Himself misleads us through illusion and doubt.

ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਹੀ ਬੂਝਹਿ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਏ ॥
manamukh karam karehi nehee boojhehi birathhaa janam gavaaeae ||
The self-willed manmukhs perform their actions, but they do not understand; they waste away their lives in vain.

ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਇਸੁ ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਕਰਮਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਏ ॥੧॥
gurabaanee eis jag mehi chaanan karam vasai man aaeae ||1||
Gurbani is the Light to illuminate this world; by His Grace, it comes to abide within the mind. ||1||
~SGGS Ji p. 67

If the God has created the Maya and the illusion, why is He punishing? What could be the created design?

ਭਿੰਨ ਭਿੰਨ ਜਿਮੁ ਦੇਹ ਧਰਾਏ ॥
Bhinn bhinn jim(i) deh dharaae||
According as the Lord adopted different forms,

ਤਿਮੁ ਤਿਮੁ ਕਰ ਅਵਤਾਰ ਕਹਾਏ ॥
Tim(u) tim(u) kar avtaar kahaae||
In the same manner, he became renowned as different incarnations;

ਪਰਮ ਰੂਪ ਜੋ ਏਕ ਕਹਾਯੋ ॥
Param roop jo ek kahaayo||
But whatever is the Supreme form of the Lord;

ਅੰਤ ਸਭੋ ਤਿਹ ਮੱਧਿ ਮਿਲਾਯੋ ॥੩੩॥
Ant sabho tih maddh(i) milaayo||33||
Ultimately all merged in Him.33.
~Shri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji p. 423

So ultimately existance is not a punishment. You can be punished for evil deeds because people will receive in like measure what they give as law of karam. But the goal of life is not the Abrahamic conception of sin, unworthiness and punishment by a Supreme Being. I think Gurbani is very clear that the imperceivable God made Himself perceivable in many forms and ways in order to be a Light which shines in darkness. Otherwise how would Vaheguru guide the creation back to the Primal source? And if you can accept what Gurbani says that the God came in form as avataar, which means more than simply "incarnation." We are all incarnations, and we all have Parabrahm pervading in our hearts. But we are not all avataars. An avataar is an incarnation which is the manifestation of the One God on the earth in sargun saroop so the darkness of the sansaara may be pierced by the Jyot of God. Both Shabad Guru Ji and Dasam Granth bani talk of 10 incarnations specifically. You claim this is mere story-telling using mythological references to a discarded Hindu religion. That's your right to believe.

ਬੇਦ ਗਿਰੰਥ ਗੁਰ ਹਟਿ ਹੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਲਗਿ ਭਵਜਲ ਪਾਰਿ ਉਤਾਰਾ ।
bayd girand gur hati hai jisu|agi bhavajal paari utaaraa|
From that knowledge of the Vedas which gets man across the world ocean even the knowledgeable people get away.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬਾਝੁ ਨ ਬੁਝੀਐ ਜਿਚਰੁ ਧਰੇ ਨ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਅਵਤਾਰਾ ।
satigur baajhu n bujheeai jicharu dharay n prabhu avataaraa|
So long God does not descend on earth in the form of true Guru, no mystery can be understood.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਇਕੁ ਹੈ ਸਚਾ ਸਾਹੁ ਜਗਤੁ ਬਣਜਾਰਾ ।
gur paramaysaru iku hai sachaa saahu jagatu banajaaraa|
The Guru and God are one; He is the true master and the whole world craves for Him.

ਚੜੈ ਸੂਰ ਮਿਟਿ ਜਾਇ ਅੰਧਾਰਾ ॥੧੭॥
charhai soor miti jaai andhaaraa ॥17॥
He rises like sun and the darkness is dispelled.
~Vaar 1 Pauri 17 of Vaaran Bhai Gurdas

While there may be at least 3 places where Gurbani speaks specifically of mythology in relation to the Bull:

ਧੌਲੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦਇਆ ਕਾ ਪੂਤੁ ॥
dhhaal dhharam dhaeiaa kaa pooth ||
The mythical bull is Dharma, the son of compassion;

ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਥਾਪਿ ਰਖਿਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਸੂਤਿ ॥
santhokh thhaap rakhiaa jin sooth ||
this is what patiently holds the earth in its place.
~SGGS Ji p. 3​

It is equally clear that this is not mere reference to a story, but Guruji is teaching that with the symbolism of the Dharma Bull, the compassionate Dharma holds the Earth in it's place. So the teaching is very meaningful, even with the clearly stated reference to a mythological Bull.

The Bull is called Nandi, and it is a mount of Shiva. And in each age, the Bull is losing one of it's legs until the time of Kaliyug when the Dharma Bull is standing on only one leg.

Guruji didn't tell this story of the mythological Bull because there was no truth in it. He told the symbolic story precisely because there was truth in it, as we see confirmed by the analysis of Bhai Gurdas Ji vaaran:

ਸਤਜੁਗ ਦਾ ਅਨਿਆਉ ਵੇਖਿ ਧਉਲ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੋਆ ਉਡੀਣਾ ।
satajug daa aniaau vaykhi dhaul dharamu hoaa udeenaa|
Seeing the injustice of Satyug, dharma in the form of a bull got sad.

ਸੁਰਪਤਿ ਨਰਪਤਿ ਚਕ੍ਰਵੈ ਰਖਿ ਨ ਹੰਘਨਿ ਬਲ ਮਤਿ ਹੀਣਾ ।
surapati narapati chakravai rakhi n hanghani bal mati heenaa|
Even the king of gods, Indr, and other kings with vast empires, engrossed egoism, devoid of power and wisdom could not sust

ਤ੍ਰੇਤੇ ਖਿਸਿਆ ਪੈਰੁ ਇਕੁ ਹੋਮ ਜਗ ਜਗੁ ਥਾਪਿ ਪਤੀਣਾ ।
traytay khisiaa pairu iku hom jag jagu daapi pateenaa|
In Treta- its one foot slipped and now religious people started feeling satisfied by mere performance of the ceremonies of

ਦੁਆਪੁਰਿ ਦੁਇ ਪਗ ਧਰਮ ਦੇ ਪੂਜਾ ਚਾਰ ਪਖੰਡੁ ਅਲੀਣਾ ।
duaapuri dui pag dharam day poojaa chaar pakhandu aleenaa|
In Dvapar remained only two feet of dharma and now people began to remain absorbed only ritualistic worship.

ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਰਹਿਆ ਪੈਰ ਇਕੁ ਹੋਇ ਨਿਮਾਣਾ ਧਰਮ ਅਧੀਣਾ ।
kalijug rahiaa pair iku hoi nimaanaa dharam adheenaa|
In Kaliyug, the dharma has only one feet and consequently has become quite feeble.

ਮਾਣੁ ਨਿਮਾਣੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਪਰਗਟ ਪਰਬੀਣਾ ।
maanu nimaanai satiguroo saadhasangati paragat parabeenaa|
True Guru, the power of the powerless, has made it (dharma) manifest by and through creating the holy Congregations.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਧਰਮ ਸਪੂਰਣੁ ਰੀਣਾ ॥੧੮॥
guramukh dharam sapooranu reenaa ॥18॥
The gurmukhs have brought to perfection the dharma earlier reduced to dust.
~ Vaar 23 Pauri 18 of Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji

Does Gurbani tell us untruths which we can disregard or disbelieve? Clearly here Gurbani tells the truth of degradation of spirituality through the ages by clearly using the analogy of the Dharma Bull. Are we free to infer that every story or reference is mythological because this story of the Dharma Bull is? Are we able to disregard as unnecessary what is claimed mere story-telling of Guru? Are we to infer all this is needless superstition, fake Ages, fake spiritual teaching because past religion spoke symbolically of profound truths which many today can't even recognize?

I say no.

ਇਸੁ ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮੁ ਨ ਕੋਈ ॥
eis kalijug mehi karam dhharam n koee ||
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, no one is interested in good karma, or Dharmic faith.

ਕਲੀ ਕਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਚੰਡਾਲ ਕੈ ਘਰਿ ਹੋਈ ॥
kalee kaa janam chanddaal kai ghar hoee ||
This Dark Age was born in the house of evil.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਕੋ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੪॥੧੦॥੩੦॥
naanak naam binaa ko mukath n hoee ||4||10||30||
O Nanak, without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, no one is liberated. ||4||10||30||
~SGGS Ji p. 161

I do not believe the many references to yugas in Gurbani are mythological and untrue, meaningless superstitions to be ignored and discarded because we don't understand. I don't believe the places where Gurbani talks about the physical universe being made from purusha and pakrti and three forms of Maya and illusion of duality as false, mythological or superstition either. I do believe the spiritual teaching is very high and indeed encompasses and surpasses the wisdom of the Vedas.

Guru ji using all accepted pilgrimage and rejecting their importance in concept of purity of soul. Guru ji has to say about all these popular names, nothing more than that
I'm afraid I cannot agree. The wisdom and insight are too profound. There is a problem with translation into English using the word mythology, because it has come to imply untruth, superstition, blind ritualism. And this negates the other variant definition which means symbolic truth. I cannot believe, however convenient to promote an ideological or political view, that Gurbani contains mere references, deliberate falsehoods and fables, or anything which is a lie to be discarded as useless information. If the information is in Gurbani, we should strive to uncover it's deep wisdom and symbolic meanings.

By the Christian era, the Greco-Roman world had started to use the term "myth" (Greek μῦθος, muthos) to mean "fable, fiction, lie"; as a result, early Christian writers used "myth" with this meaning.[14] This use of the term "myth" passed into popular usage.

In this article, the term "myth" is used in a scholarly sense, detached from popular associations with falsehood.

By the Christian era, the Greco-Roman world had started to use the term "myth" (Greek μῦθος, muthos) to mean "fable, fiction, lie"; as a result, early Christian writers used "myth" with this meaning.[14] This use of the term "myth" passed into popular usage.

In this article, the term "myth" is used in a scholarly sense, detached from popular associations with falsehood.

Myths were told to explain the creation and organization of the universe, fashion of man, and establishment of civilization. It teaches people lessons and it had to do with history & culture, the characters and the temper which produced them.
Mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have read so many accounts where scholars make outrageous claims. They say these stories are fabrications to please the Hindu population. They are denied to have Vedic background. They are all claimed to be myth and superstition to be discarded. They are called useless, worthless. It's claimed these deities and yogic terms don't mean what they say they mean, that Guruji wrote them but meant something else. It's like intellectual gyrations to deny the obvious. At the end of the day, the terms still mean what they say. And it is equally clear that Gurbani talks about many deities but that all are subordinate to the nirgun uncreated Parabrahm...but so do the Hindu scriptures say the same thing. Rather than posing Sikh identity on something as tenuous as deliberate mistranslation or ignorance of Vedic teaching, people should clearly evaluate the commonalities and the differences. It's clear that Sikhism is not Hinduism and does not promote worship of the deities. But it's equally clear Gurbani must be interpreted with some degree of Vedic understanding which the terminology and concepts are rooted in. And I believe this is why Gurbani says:

~SGGS Ji p. 2

I mean even the concept of the Naad is Vedic.

ਗਲਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਲੀਤਾ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਜੀ ਅਵਗੁਣੁ ਕੀਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਨ ਚਿਤਾਰੇ ।
gali vichi|eetaa krisan jee avagunu keetaa hari n chitaaray|
Krishna ignored his wrong act and embraced him.

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਸੰਤੋਖਿਆ ਪਤਿਤ ਉਧਾਰਣੁ ਬਿਰਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ ।
kari kirapaa santokhiaa patit udhaaranu biradu beechaaray|
Gracefully Krishna asked him to be full of perseverance and gave sactuary to the wrongdoer.

ਭਲੇ ਭਲੇ ਕਰਿ ਮੰਨੀਅਨਿ ਬੁਰਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਹਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰੇ ।
bhalay bhalay kari manneeani buriaan day hari kaaj savaaray|
The good is said good by everyone but the works of the evil doers are set right by the Lord only.

ਪਾਪ ਕਰੇਂਦੇ ਪਤਿਤ ਉਧਾਰੇ ॥੨੩॥੧੦॥
paap karaynday patit udhaaray ॥23॥10॥
He has liberated many fallen sinners.
~ Vaar 10 Pauri 23 of Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji

What does this vaaran mean? It means that unlike Abrahamic interpretations, Bhagavan Krishna was not a false god, an evil idol or something to be discarded, feared, insulted, denied, repressed, removed, or punished. It means this was a valid Light/manifestation of the Supreme Parabrahm for past ages. And while these forms of religion did fall down in the preceding yugs, and while not capable of giving the Supreme mukti like the Naam, these forms of spirituality in their true sense, not the blind ritualism and worshipping of stones are to be respected as a valid spiritual path for those who follow them. If you add to these kind of interpretations the fact that Guruji sacrificed Himself to torture and death to protect Hindu's right to freely worship and keep Hindu identity, it becomes impossible to insult, tear down, disregard or invalidate the proper form of Hindu spirituality without the context that in this age all forms of spirituality have fallen away from the original Light.

Bhain ji ,That is a lame interpretation, and a narrow judgment which is colored with another belief Guru ji never advocates. It is not only about idol, it is about Krishana’s ( the known God)accepted birthday well known as Janam Ashtami and Guru ji says HE does not take birth on a particular day, it is not needed to be celebrated as birthday of GOD if any one says that, his/her tongue should be burnt. Idol thing comes after that, then Guru ji addresses the stone and image of Krishna. When we talk about incarnation of God, we do not need any special dictionary, God just doesn’t take birth individually and HIS being every where should not be mixed with God incarnation, it is that simple

Yes Guruji is correcting not to miss the correct spiritual message by being caught in the age of blind ritualism without proper understanding. Special birthdays etc are just improper worship of the deity which is fallen into time and corruption, and not the Supreme. But Gurbani doesn't say Hindu religion is worthless and we should now convert them to be Sikhs since we have "the One true God." That's so Abrahamic. There is no need at all for Sikhs to go through gyrations trying to hide, invalidate or erase the Vedic teaching found in Gurbani. It's so clear Guruji was completely at peace with Hindu religion. He doesn't insult or invalidate it. He explains deep truth and gives spiritual insight and correction to why it cannot be the highest religion of this age.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਬਿਸਨੁ ਮਹੇਸੁ ਦੇਵ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥
brehamaa bisan mehaes dhaev oupaaeiaa ||
Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and the deities were created.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮੇ ਦਿਤੇ ਬੇਦ ਪੂਜਾ ਲਾਇਆ ॥
brehamae dhithae baedh poojaa laaeiaa ||
Brahma was given the Vedas, and enjoined to worship God.

ਦਸ ਅਵਤਾਰੀ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਾਜਾ ਆਇਆ ॥
dhas avathaaree raam raajaa aaeiaa ||
The ten incarnations, and Rama the king, came into being.

ਦੈਤਾ ਮਾਰੇ ਧਾਇ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਬਾਇਆ ॥
dhaithaa maarae dhhaae hukam sabaaeiaa ||
According to His Will, they quickly killed all the demons.

ਈਸ ਮਹੇਸੁਰੁ ਸੇਵ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
ees mehaesur saev thinhee anth n paaeiaa ||
Shiva serves Him, but cannot find His limits.

ਸਚੀ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਪਾਇ ਤਖਤੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ॥
sachee keemath paae thakhath rachaaeiaa ||
He established His throne on the principles of Truth.

ਦੁਨੀਆ ਧੰਧੈ ਲਾਇ ਆਪੁ ਛਪਾਇਆ ॥
dhuneeaa dhhandhhai laae aap shhapaaeiaa ||
He enjoined all the world to its tasks, while He keeps Himself hidden from view.
~SGGS Ji p. 1279

Nothing here says fake, unreal, discarded, meaningless. These Deities are clearly forms of religion with a certain Light of God for past ages. And equally clear only the Naam and Guru's Shabad can liberate us in the Kalyug and take us to the limits of the nirgun saroop of Parabrahm.

listen to Guru message only and be worthy of Him, those who are just like beggars at HIS door, why to waste time on them. Gurmat is very clear, Gurbani uses a lot of prevailed words related to customs, devtas and other things but only as references, period. Nothing is more there. Who were they, were they actually there? Gurbani never uses any word that can verify their reality at all. It was a only way of enlightening people who were exposed to only these customs, Devtas and imaginative stories.

Duality is not fake. Kaliyug is not fake. The Naad and Shabad are not fake. The three gunas are not fake. Reincarnation is not fake. Heaven and Hell are not fake. Dharamraj, chitr and Gupt, jams are not fake. The devas and asuras are not fake. The Raja Jog of the Naam is not fake. The 7 chakrs and the 10 doors are not fake. The nirgun and sargun are not fake. The avatars are not fake. Karam and dharam is not fake. Maya and mukti are not fake. Darshan of Vaheguru is not fake. Samaadhi and the Fourth state of consciousness are not fake.

What exactly do you think is fake? The whole Gurbani? Or just certain parts?

~bhul chak maaf

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Dear Harhas ji,

You have been talking of tri-gunas of nature [sato/rajo/tamo].What are these and how exactly they entrap us in this world of human affairs.?
It is also talked of in Hindu philosophies as well. How do you explain and as to how these are responsible for keeping us in Karmic cycle.?
Kindly throw some light.

regards.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: