• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Transmigration

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
..WOW... that'll be one hell of world to live in ! No individual identity would mean no "moral culpability". Ishna's world will be inhibited by tight-fisted liars, cheats sleeping around with whatever takes their fancy and losers twiddling their thumbs because it doesn't really matter, its not them but god who's experiencing it all. Hardly a recipe for social cohesion, hey ?

Count me in Girl !

@Original, your dreams are coming true. Congratulations!

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
The “I” I was referring to is not the costume but the actor... the actor IS I (all of us) err I mean you as in what makes you an aware entity (not the body) is the I. And it’s the same I in everyone else. I mean the I AM. Not the ‘me me me’ haume nor the costume of flesh and bones.

Alrighty. Gurbani pretty clearly says the opposite to this. There is no I - only You (ਤੁਹੀ, tuhi, god). Here's an example, from Guru Nanak Ji's shaloks beginning on ang 143:

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੧ ॥
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਹਮ ਜੇਰ ਜਿਮੀ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਪੀਰਾ ਮਸਾਇਕਾ ਰਾਇਆ ॥
All the spiritual teachers, their disciples and the rulers of the world shall be buried under the ground.

ਮੇ ਰਵਦਿ ਬਾਦਿਸਾਹਾ ਅਫਜੂ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥
The emperors shall also pass away; God alone is Eternal.

ਏਕ ਤੂਹੀ ਏਕ ਤੁਹੀ ॥੧॥
You alone, Lord, You alone. ||1||

ਮਃ ੧ ॥
First Mehl:

ਨ ਦੇਵ ਦਾਨਵਾ ਨਰਾ ॥
Neither the angels, nor the demons, nor human beings,

ਨ ਸਿਧ ਸਾਧਿਕਾ ਧਰਾ ॥
Nor the Siddhas, nor the seekers shall remain on the earth.

ਅਸਤਿ ਏਕ ਦਿਗਰਿ ਕੁਈ ॥
Who else is there?

ਏਕ ਤੁਈ ਏਕ ਤੁਈ ॥੨॥
You alone, Lord, You alone. ||2||​

And so on - I encourage you to find ang 143 and have a read - the shaloks start towards the end of the page.

Now, imho, informed from what I've learned from Gurbani... the costume that is "I" is temporal, in Maya, and is essentially nothing - it will cease to exist, and all that will be left is god. The experience of your life is not yours. It is god's, and god's alone. We just need to realise this while we're alive and live accordingly. :y:

Side note: Tuhi tuhi makes a very nice meditation chant. There is some nice kirtan of it online. When I went to Sikh camp back in 2010 we had the privilege of Veer Manpreet Singh Ji visiting at the time and the best memories I have of camp are those 5am kirtan sessions in the dim light, in darbar sahib, with the rest of the really keen campers, quietly chanting along with Veer ji and the instrument he was using. :meditatingkaur:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM