• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

To Live In Truth

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Harry ji is right in saying that gurbani does not bar a Sikh to live an householders life despite cautioning repeatedly about the entanglement of worldly life. But at the same time says :

ਸਚਿ ਸਿਮਰਿਐ ਹੋਵੈ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ॥ Sach Simariai Hovai Paragaas ||
Remembering the True Lord in meditation, one is enlightened.
ਤਾ ਤੇ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਮਹਿ ਰਹੈ ਉਦਾਸੁ ॥
Thaa Thae Bikhiaa Mehi Rehai Oudhaas ||
Then, in the midst of Maya, he remains detached.
ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਐਸੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥
Sathigur Kee Aisee Vaddiaaee ||
Such is the Glory of the True Guru;
ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕਲਤ੍ਰ ਵਿਚੇ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ॥੨॥
Puthr Kalathr Vichae Gath Paaee ||2||
In the midst of children and spouses, they attain emancipation. ||2||
ਧਨਾਸਰੀ (ਮ: ੧) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੬੬੧ Page 661

The caution is to listen and act on what guru says.

I think there should be a separate clarifying discussion on meditation. This word is used by the translators and is causing confusion.

thank you ji for posting..

there have already been many threads about naam simran...meditation...Simran etc etc...

one thing we learned is that everyone has their own personal views on what this is and what it isn't...and we end up with a thread of everyone trying to prove their view is correct...

i am one that wakes up at amrit vela and does a lot of my contemplating on Gurbani, naam simran and mediation during those hours

some say this is vedic and non sikh...others stand by it.

i guess the truth seeker will always try various things and if it bears fruit and Gurbani manifests and becomes true for them, then they should continue with whatever is working for them.

God Bless you ji

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
thank you ji for posting..

there have already been many threads about naam simran...meditation...Simran etc etc...

one thing we learned is that everyone has their own personal views on what this is and what it isn't...and we end up with a thread of everyone trying to prove their view is correct...

i am one that wakes up at amrit vela and does a lot of my contemplating on Gurbani, naam simran and mediation during those hours

some say this is vedic and non sikh...others stand by it.

i guess the truth seeker will always try various things and if it bears fruit and Gurbani manifests and becomes true for them, then they should continue with whatever is working for them.

I will never turn my back on the direction i'm going in because every day i read something in gurbani that has come true for me during naam simran...so i have no need to discuss anymore...but if you feel it needs to be clarified then please go ahead....it will never be clarified...not on this forum anyway.

God Bless you ji

I am afraid I am with Chazji, I cannot think of anything else to add, to be honest, there is nothing left to say, however what I will concede is that we are all on our own journey, and we are all Sikhs. If we are talking about the established line of Sikhism, well from that view, Chazji is proceeding brilliantly and I am a heretic.

Its been a great day, I learned a lot!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
so let us try something pragmatic, I am in business, I have rents to pay, three dogs to feed, a cat, the washing machine is up the spout, my landlord is upset because the puppies have eaten away a lot of the woodwork in our living room, I have only just finished laying out money to have the garden turfed and cleaned up, one sofa has been completely ripped apart, so we have to sit on the other sofa, not a huge problem, but as can be seen, every penny makes a difference,.

I have just listed some hardware on ebay, the new price is £699, they seem to be selling for £399 second hand, I paid £100, a supplier is expecting a payment of at least £200 by 4pm today, the best offer at present is £250 x 2, what should I do?

I would have been happy with £200 x 2, but now I have an idea of interest, I am getting greedy, also pride is there, in that I am not going to let these go for less than they are worth, should I take the money, or hold out for a few days and get the best price?

Chazji in particular, I would be interested in your take on this

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
so let us try something pragmatic, I am in business, I have rents to pay, three dogs to feed, a cat, the washing machine is up the spout, my landlord is upset because the puppies have eaten away a lot of the woodwork in our living room, I have only just finished laying out money to have the garden turfed and cleaned up, one sofa has been completely ripped apart, so we have to sit on the other sofa, not a huge problem, but as can be seen, every penny makes a difference,.

I have just listed some hardware on ebay, the new price is £699, they seem to be selling for £399 second hand, I paid £100, a supplier is expecting a payment of at least £200 by 4pm today, the best offer at present is £250 x 2, what should I do?

I would have been happy with £200 x 2, but now I have an idea of interest, I am getting greedy, also pride is there, in that I am not going to let these go for less than they are worth, should I take the money, or hold out for a few days and get the best price?

Chazji in particular, I would be interested in your take on this

Me personally...

if i was a very truthful person and in your situation

i would be content because i already have the price i am happy with i.e. the profits cover my living costs...

i would leave the items on for the duration of the auction to give everyone a fair chance to bid and maybe if someone wants to offer more...the extra money can go towards seva, un-expected living costs etc...

i would not deceive anyone and try to make them out to be more expensive than they are worth...or advertise as in working order when i know they may not be...

during all this i would be in peace that i already have a suitable bid that is great for me, and great for the buyer...afterall God exists in the buyer as well...i don't want to rip them off...at the very deepest level all i would be doing is trying to deceive God

2 happy people (buyer and seller)...and i'm not sat around my computer trying to think of ways to squeeze out more money.

In fact i would spend this peaceful state doing some simran, or reading some bani, or spending time with my family ... all whilst this auction based on the truth carried on in the background...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I have continued this on a separate thread, Gur Meet ji feel free to post relevant shabads so we can all discuss and learn

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: