• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

To Cover Our Heads Or Not?

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Hello all,

I just came back to Canada from my trip to India after 5 months.
It was exciting and interesting trip. When I was in India I use to read Ajit news paper in Punjabi. One of the jathedar had the message for the Sikhs that there should be no Gurus picture or Gurbani verses on the wedding cards. He claim that cards are thrown after the wedding that is insult to Gurus and Gurbani. I sent the email to SGPC but no one replied.
My question was and still is. Is that jathedar or SGPC telling us that the pictures of the guru are real picture? AS far as I know there is no real picture of any Guru. How can that be an insult to Gurus? As far as the Gurbani is concern I can understand but still have question about it. The picture and Gurbani is printed in all papers. Those papers are thrown away and use to wipe thing. Is it not insult to Gurbani?
There is a new twist in all that. One can search google for the bani. There are thousands of pages and full listing of SGGS on the internet. With the laptop and ebook we can read the bani every there. Even as we are eating or drinking coffee in cafe? Or in wash rooms.
What is the marjayda in these cases? Should we bow and cover our head when ever we read bani on ebook?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
seeker3k ji

Most of what you have written -- all very interesting-- is not about covering one's head whilst reading Gurbani on the Internet. You have "covered" 3 possible discussion topics. Let's see how the conversation unwinds. I may have to merge this thread with another thread about covering one's head if that is direction things take. Thanks.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
My question was and still is. Is that jathedar or SGPC telling us that the pictures of the guru are real picture? AS far as I know there is no real picture of any Guru. How can that be an insult to Gurus?

True. Thinking the pictures to be Guru would be an insult.

As far as the Gurbani is concern I can understand but still have question about it. The picture and Gurbani is printed in all papers. Those papers are thrown away and use to wipe thing. Is it not insult to Gurbani?

Traditionally the Guru Granth Sahib or Gurbani in any paper form is cremated.

There is a new twist in all that. One can search google for the bani. There are thousands of pages and full listing of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji on the internet. With the laptop and ebook we can read the bani every there. Even as we are eating or drinking coffee in cafe? Or in wash rooms.

Many people when they do Paath from Laptop or Ebook or iPod prefer to sit cross legged with their shoes off. It depends on what respect you want to give to Gurbani. Whatever you give is less. Of course I would suggest if you are reading a laptop for Baani don't use it (even to listen to music or browse) in the washroom while sitting on the thinking pot.

What is the marjayda in these cases? Should we bow and cover our head when ever we read bani on ebook?

I guess that is why we have Maryada is to cover head with turban all the time.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Hello all,

I just came back to Canada from my trip to India after 5 months.
It was exciting and interesting trip. When I was in India I use to read Ajit news paper in Punjabi. One of the jathedar had the message for the Sikhs that there should be no Gurus picture or Gurbani verses on the wedding cards. He claim that cards are thrown after the wedding that is insult to Gurus and Gurbani. I sent the email to SGPC but no one replied.
My question was and still is. Is that jathedar or SGPC telling us that the pictures of the guru are real picture? AS far as I know there is no real picture of any Guru. How can that be an insult to Gurus? As far as the Gurbani is concern I can understand but still have question about it. The picture and Gurbani is printed in all papers. Those papers are thrown away and use to wipe thing. Is it not insult to Gurbani?
There is a new twist in all that. One can search google for the bani. There are thousands of pages and full listing of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji on the internet. With the laptop and ebook we can read the bani every there. Even as we are eating or drinking coffee in cafe? Or in wash rooms.
seeker3k ji some thoughts.

gurduAwry
(Gurdwara)

\) sMgq ivc jW siqgurW dy pRkwS smyN iksy is`K nUM nMgy isr nhIN bYTxw cwhIdw[ sMgq ivc is`K iesqrIAW leI prdw krnw jW GuMf k`Fxw gurmiq ivru`D hY[

Head to be covered while sitting in a religious congregation or while Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is in “Prakash”, i.e.,

§ Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is open and placed in a location with due care as per Sikh Rehat Maryada including e.g.,
o the clean area,
o respectable accommodation for Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji to be respectfully and easily opened and be able to read without holding in one’s hand(s),
o a “Chananee” (cloth garment prepared in love and care to be strung above Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji),
o a “Chaur” (a hand held fanning device) and

gurimq dI rihxI
(Living as per Gurmit)

x) is`K leI kCihry qy dsqwr qoN Cut puSwk sMbMDI bwkI koeI pwbMdI nhIN[ is`K iesqrI dsqwr sjwey jW nw
sjwey, dovyN TIk hn[

Sikh has no dress limitations beyond wearing of Turban and “Kachehra” (undergarment). For a Sikh female, the person may wear turban or not is of free choice.
So it is pretty clear that there are very specific times that Head covering is required as per the quotes from Sikh Rehat Maryada.

Equally importantly one has to consider the following from a common sense perspective,

• Is your inner psyche heavily polluted with Kam. Karodh, Lobh, Moh and Ahankar while such a question crops in your mind and you are thinking of whether to cover your head or not!

• You need to talk to your inner self!

• If the answer to any of the above five is a strong yes, I humbly submit that you ain’t going to gain much from covering your head or doing any other fake rituals
  • If the answer is that you have reasonable balance, your psyche will itself or should suggest necessary ways of humility, respect and best ways to satisfy your yearning for knowledge
  • Example:

• I knew a Nirankari follower who would purposely put the Nitnem and other Gurbani extract books on the toilet tank in the washroom. I assume that outwardly the object was a show-off (ego – Ahankar) to emphasize that these are just books like magazines or Harlequin novels.
  • What can be expected from such a person!
    • Not much really as to be so brain washed and not recognize that that before learning comes your wisdom to learn. If you are caught up in such a façade you wouldn’t go very far.
    • That is what happened and continues to happen and the person is not a baby to not be able to figure it out if wished.
Again in terms of cards and writings or depiction of Guru persona, I believe it is personal and respectful decision that needs to be taken by the people initiating such request. Again humility, respect, common sense can usually guide. To talk about dis-respect and flag the wedding cards for such, one has to then ban all the newspapers as many have Gurbani lines and similar persona painting depictions. Newspapers perhaps see more perverse and dis-respectful uses and disposition that the matter becomes irrelevant.

I hope that is helpful for the dialog.

Sat Sri Akal.

hpannu

SPNer
Dec 17, 2007
Dear Sangat Members - for a SIKH head has to be covered all the time. Question of head to be covered while only reading Gurbani is absurd. As far as pictures are concerned they are just artists representation of the Gurus - Seeker3k Ji is right -it's just like any other picture. People doing dhoop or decorating them is against SIKHI !

Just my 2 cents.

ਭੁਲਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਬਖਸ਼ ਦੇਣਾ ਜੀ

ਦਾਸ - ਹਰਜੋਤ ਸਿੰਘ

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Dear Sangat Members - for a SIKH head has to be covered all the time. Question of head to be covered while only reading Gurbani is absurd. As far as pictures are concerned they are just artists representation of the Gurus - Seeker3k Ji is right -it's just like any other picture. People doing dhoop or decorating them is against SIKHI !

Just my 2 cents.

ਭੁਲਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਬਖਸ਼ ਦੇਣਾ ਜੀ

ਦਾਸ - ਹਰਜੋਤ ਸਿੰਘ
hpannu ji I read the context of the question to be for all children, females, kurehatiye male/female sikhs (sehajdhari or who have cut their hair)! The Kurehatiye are still Sikhs!

I believe Sikh Rehat Maryada also describes it in similar context.

Sat Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
hpannu ji I read the context of the question to be for all children, females, kurehatiye male/female sikhs (sehajdhari or who have cut their hair)! The Kurehatiye are still Sikhs!

Sat Sri Akal.

You have put your finger on the crux of an ongoing issue that stands behind questions that should be simple and have simple answers. Not so! :)

Everything depends on where one stands in relation to debates going back to the late 19th Century. Notably strain between Chief Khalsa Diwan and Panch Khalsa Diwan, but not limited to it. The SRM was too loose for some, too restrictive for others. So there it stands as the broad middle lane. The debate continues.

hpannu

SPNer
Dec 17, 2007

Sat Sri Akal.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਿਹ ॥

ਵੀਰ ਜੀ - If a person calls himself a SIKH - then he should cover his head all the time. Not just when going to Gurduara Sahib or doing Nitnem. Yes, this applies to everyone, including kids and females .......

SehajDhari is a different topic by itself and so is Kurehtiye. for example - a person cannot call himself Sehajdhari Sikh all his life. Sehajdhari is a person who is on path to become GURU KA SIKH - meaning day by day he is working towards it. Now - a person cannot call himself Sehajdhari if he was Sehajdhari in 70's, 80's, 90's ....... and still calls himself Sehajdhari. That concludes he is not on his way to GURU KA SIKH ........

Recently, last year there was a incident @ our Gurduara Sahib. where a person didn't cover his head in the Darbar Hall after Sukhasan was done. When questioned his answer was GOD is everywhere. Now a days - people are under the impression that we have to do this only when needed. It's not on a need be basis.

Daas,
Harjot Singh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Sorry hpannu ji with the following you are rewriting Sikh Rehat Maryada,

• Not just when going to Gurduara Sahib or doing Nitnem. Yes, this applies to everyone, including kids and females .......
Sorry don't know where you grew up it must be very polished and City type locale or private school or highly religious family intolerant of less than perfect Sikhs.

This is not Guruan's land like Amritsar or Punjab or many villages that make this land.

• SehajDhari is a different topic by itself and so is Kurehtiye.
Sorry again it is not a different topic unless you want to make it so. It is covered as a Kurehat and that is how it is with no definition of times that you have inserted. One cannot take this or leave that or add something else in Sikh Rehat Maryada unless it is done through "Gur Matah" per Sikh Rehat Maryada.
Of course striving for the ideal and living the ideal is good.

If you looking for purest of the pure (No Kurehatiye or Tankhayeah (Rehat deviation)), let me know if you are one or know someone who is!

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The question I want to ask is..Just How many "sikhs" HANG THEIR HEADS IN SHAME...when they consume alcohol...engage in DOWRY TORTURE....Female Foetecide...Female Child DISCRIMINATION....dance wildly in drunk state in bhangras wedding parties...????..Fight in Gurdwaras over CONTROL.....and appear in the Courts Charged with petty crimes like illegal immigration, forged passports, cheating..bribery..etc etc etc....EVEN IF ALL THESE "SIKHS" have PERFECT HEAD COVERINGS ( Patiala Shahee Dastaars or ROYAL TURBANS )...they need to HANG THOSE IN SHAME !!!

TOO MUCH EMPTY FOKA DIKHAWA..show off..ritualised behaviour has overtaken us...we are EMPTY SHELLS or DRUMS making loud noises....SAD !!..even our Govt is run by S.A.D. !!peacesign

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
If everyone is to cover our heads all the time to please God then why aren't we born with a head covering?

Same argument in reverse is why would it please God to remove the foreskin when men are born with it attached?

What is the CORE REASON why Sikhs cover their head? Is this core reason relevant in the wide expanse of the limitless and vastly incomprehensible UNIVERSE that it should be for everyone of all ages, all genders, everywhere, all the time without question?

Is the CORE REASON a social / cultural / traditional one? If so, what is it trying to express? What is the reason behind it?

hpannu

SPNer
Dec 17, 2007
Sorry hpannu ji with the following you are rewriting Sikh Rehat Maryada,

Of course striving for the ideal and living the ideal is good.

If you looking for purest of the pure (No Kurehatiye or Tankhayeah (Rehat deviation)), let me know if you are one or know someone who is!

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria Ji - Truth is truth you cannot hide it that's all i am saying Like it or not. If i say - SIKH is under HUKAM to keep KESH or cover his KESH or GURU GRANTH SAHIB ਨੂੰ ਗੁਰੂ ਮੰਨਣਾ ਕਿਸੇ ਦੇਹਧਾਰੀ ਨੂੰ ਨਹੀ or believe in the Teachings of 10 Gurus from Guru Nanak Dev Ji to Guru Gobind Singh Ji or Kirat karni and so on ......... I would like to ask you whether this is true or not. If i am wrong let me know.

Code:
If you looking for purest of the pure (No Kurehatiye or Tankhayeah  (Rehat deviation)), let me know if you are one or know someone who is!

I didn't say i am perfect or i am pure and you are not. oh yes, it would be nice to see purest of the pure in this corrupt world - there are not many we all know that.

Code:
Sorry don't know where you grew up it must be very  polished and City type locale or private school or highly religious  family intolerant of less than perfect Sikhs.  

This is not Guruan's land like Amritsar or Punjab or many villages that make this land.

Please - tell me when did i say i come from a highly religous family intolerant of less than perfect Sikhs. We all are imperfect ...........

and this is not Guruan's land like Amritsar or Punjab ...... Are you saying it's ok to cover our head in Punjab / Guru's land and not ok over here.
This is what i don't like and don't want to get further into argument after this reply of mine. This is exactly the example i was giving in my earlier reply - people now a days think it's ok not to cover the head in Darbar Hall of Gurduara Sahib because Guru Granth Sahib is not present after Sukhasan Seva. Just look at the ladies during diwan half of their head is not covered at all because of their style and fashion.

Lastly Sehajdhari and Kurehatiye - I only said it's a different topic because it's a debate by itself - meaning who is Sehajdhari and Kurehatiye is a big topic ( i didn't mean different topic ). I consider myself and majority of the SIKHS to be Sehajdhari. Even if you adorn Kesh or not. We are not perfect and if we fall into the Sehajdhari category then we should be making an attempt to be GURU KA SIKH ........that's all - it's simple - not a rocket science. What i don't like is people calling themselves Sehajdhari and like Giani Jarnail Singh in his reply said - Drink alcohol, dowry issues, Kuri Maar (female foeticide) ............ it goes on and on

ਸੰਗਤ ਤੋ ਮਾਫੀ ਮੰਗਦਾਂ ਹਾਂ for getting into an argument.
Please forgive me.

Daas,
Harjot Singh

The following is from while doing Sehaj Path this morning -

ਮਾਰੂ ਮਹਲਾ ਪਹਿਲਾ - ਅੰਗ 1013

ਛਾਣੀ ਖਾਕੁ ਬਿਭੂਤ ਚੜਾਈ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾ ਮਗੁ ਜੋਹੈ
He sifts through the dust, and applies ashes to his body, but he is searching for the path of Maya's wealth.

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਏਕੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਸਾਚੁ ਕਹੇ ਤੇ ਛੋਹੈ
Inwardly and outwardly, he does not know the One Lord; if someone tells him the Truth, he grows angry.

ਪਾਠੁ ਪੜੈ ਮੁਖਿ ਝੂਠੋ ਬੋਲੈ ਨਿਗੁਰੇ ਕੀ ਮਤਿ ਓਹੈ
He reads the scriptures, but tells lies; such is the intellect of one who has no Guru.

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਈ ਕਿਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਕਿਉ ਸੋਹੈ ॥੪॥
Without chanting the Naam, how can he find peace? Without the Name, how can he look good? ||4||

ਮੂੰਡੁ ਮੁਡਾਇ ਜਟਾ ਸਿਖ ਬਾਧੀ ਮੋਨਿ ਰਹੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨਾ
Some shave their heads, some keep their hair in matted tangles; some keep it in braids, while some keep silent, filled with egotistical pride.

ਮਨੂਆ ਡੋਲੈ ਦਹ ਦਿਸ ਧਾਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਰਤ ਆਤਮ ਗਿਆਨਾ
Their minds waver and wander in ten directions, without loving devotion and enlightenment of the soul.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਮਹਾ ਬਿਖੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ
They abandon the Ambrosial Nectar, and drink the deadly poison, driven mad by Maya.

ਕਿਰਤੁ ਮਿਟਈ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਬੂਝੈ ਪਸੂਆ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਨਾ ॥੫॥
Past actions cannot be erased; without understanding the Hukam of the Lord's Command, they become beasts. ||5||

Last edited by a moderator:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
hpannu ji thanks for your post just some comments.
SIKH is under HUKAM to keep KESH or cover his KESH! or GURU GRANTH SAHIB ਨੂੰ ਗੁਰੂ ਮੰਨਣਾ ਕਿਸੇ ਦੇਹਧਾਰੀ ਨੂੰ ਨਹੀ or believe in the Teachings of 10 Gurus from Guru Nanak Dev Ji to Guru Gobind Singh Ji or Kirat karni and so on ......... I would like to ask you whether this is true or not. If i am wrong let me know.

Ambarsaria: I do not accept your language but the language of Sikh Rehat Maryada. They may sound similar but these are not the same
The following is true from the Panth as Khalsa for me nothing more nothing less,

is`K dI qwrI&
jo iesqrI jW purS iek Akwl purK, ds gurU swihbwn (sRI gurU nwnk dyv jI qoN lY ky sRI gurU goibMd isMG swihb qk), sRI gurU gRMQ swihb Aqy ds gurU swihbwn dI bwxI qy is`iKAw Aqy dsmyS jI dy AMimRq au`qy inScw r`Kdw hY Aqy iksy hor Drm nUM nhIN mMNndw, auh is`K hY[

Examplification of a Sikh
The woman or man who believes in one creator, ten Gurus (Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji to Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji), Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and the Gurbani of ten Gurus and their teachings and has belief in Baptization of the pure of Dashmesh ji and does not believe in another religion, is a Sikh.

I accept the above :happymunda:
hspannu ji the following is not in right context,

and this is not Guruan's land like Amritsar or Punjab ...... Are you saying it's ok to cover our head in Punjab / Guru's land and not ok over here. ... this is triviality . Small children playing in dirt, kids catching buffalo's tail swimming in a canal, girls in a swing with air in their hair, old ladies sitting in the sun with hair down after oil massage, ....., that is Punjab, Sikhs live and do that, they are not bad Sikhs for that. Not having your head covered outside of Gurdwara is an indiscretion and not a Kurehat. Let us keep things in scope. This is what I meant. May be it did not come across as such.

This is what i don't like and don't want to get further into argument after this reply of mine. This is exactly the example i was giving in my earlier reply - people now a days think it's ok not to cover the head in Darbar Hall of Gurduara Sahib because Guru Granth Sahib is not present after Sukhasan Seva.

I did not condone the above!

Just look at the ladies during diwan half of their head is not covered at all because of their style and fashion.

Sorry I don't pay attention to ladies heads in the Gurdwara as I like to see happy faces! We all look at life differently for sure.

Ladies in the Gurdwara with half head covered are better than ladies not in the Gurdwara for me. Let people be happy a bit. Half head covered is not end of the world. Once they are enlightened they will look at us and start smiling for our foolishness and pettiness at times!
Sorry in terms of "Sehajdhari" I was not trying to add any spirituality to the word as I could have been more proper to say "people who cut their hair". I will hug a Sikh with cut hair and a good soul any day. Hair grow all our lives and may God give them support to be complete Sikh.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Can some Gurbani about covering one's head be provided please?
Ishna ji if you search "head cover" under advanced settings at srigranth.org you get three shabads. Generally the context is the false practices and little value of those. Here is a nice shabad but may not be exactly what you are looking for. I can delete it if not right,

ਸਲੋਕ ਸਹਸਕ੍ਰਿਤੀ ਮਹਲਾ
सलोक सहसक्रिती महला १ ॥
Salok sėhaskiriṯī mėhlā 1.
Shalok Sehskritee, First Mehl:
ਪੜ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਪੁਸ੍ਤਕ ਸੰਧਿਆ ਬਾਦੰ
पड़्हि पुस्तक संधिआ बादं ॥
Paṛĥ pusṯak sanḏẖi▫ā bāḏaʼn.
You study the scriptures, say your prayers and argue;
ਸਿਲ ਪੂਜਸਿ ਬਗੁਲ ਸਮਾਧੰ
सिल पूजसि बगुल समाधं ॥
Sil pūjas bagul samāḏẖaʼn.
you worship stones and sit like a crane, pretending to meditate.
ਮੁਖਿ ਝੂਠੁ ਬਿਭੂਖਨ ਸਾਰੰ
मुखि झूठु बिभूखन सारं ॥
Mukẖ jẖūṯẖ bibẖūkẖan sāraʼn.
You speak lies and well-ornamented falsehood,
ਤ੍ਰੈਪਾਲ ਤਿਹਾਲ ਬਿਚਾਰੰ
त्रैपाल तिहाल बिचारं ॥
Ŧaraipāl ṯihāl bicẖāraʼn.
and recite your daily prayers three times a day.
ਗਲਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਤਿਲਕ ਲਿਲਾਟੰ
गलि माला तिलक लिलाटं ॥
Gal mālā ṯilak lilātaʼn.
The mala is around your neck, and the sacred tilak mark is on your forehead.
ਦੁਇ ਧੋਤੀ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਪਾਟੰ
दुइ धोती बसत्र कपाटं ॥
Ḏu▫e ḏẖoṯī basṯar kapātaʼn.
You wear two loin cloths, and keep your head covered.
ਜੋ ਜਾਨਸਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰ ਕਰਮੰ
जो जानसि ब्रहमं करमं ॥
Jo jānas barahmaʼn karmaʼn.
If you know God and the nature of karma,
ਸਭ ਫੋਕਟ ਨਿਸਚੈ ਕਰਮੰ
सभ फोकट निसचै करमं ॥
Sabẖ fokat niscẖai karmaʼn.
you know that all these rituals and beliefs are useless.
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਸਚੌ ਧ੍ਯ੍ਯਿਵੈ
कहु नानक निसचौ *िध्यावै ॥
Kaho Nānak niscẖou ḏẖi▫yāvai.
Says Nanak, meditate on the Lord with faith.
ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬਾਟ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੧॥
बिनु सतिगुर बाट न पावै ॥१॥
Bin saṯgur bāt na pāvai. ||1||
Without the True Guru, no one finds the Way. ||1||
ਨਿਹਫਲੰ ਤਸ੍ਯ੍ਯ ਜਨਮਸ੍ਯ੍ਯ ਜਾਵਦ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬਿੰਦਤੇ
निहफलं तस्य जनमस्य जावद ब्रहम न बिंदते ॥
Nihfalaʼn ṯas▫y janmas▫y jāvaḏ barahm na binḏṯe.
The mortal's life is fruitless, as long as he does not know God.
ਸਾਗਰੰ ਸੰਸਾਰਸ੍ਯ੍ਯ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਤਰਹਿ ਕੇ
सागरं संसारस्य गुर परसादी तरहि के ॥
Sāgraʼn sansārsa▫y gur parsādī ṯarėh ke.
Only a few, by Guru's Grace, cross over the world-ocean.
ਕਰਣ ਕਾਰਣ ਸਮਰਥੁ ਹੈ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ
करण कारण समरथु है कहु नानक बीचारि ॥
Karaṇ kāraṇ samrath hai kaho Nānak bīcẖār.
The Creator, the Cause of causes, is All-powerful. Thus speaks Nanak, after deep deliberation.
ਕਾਰਣੁ ਕਰਤੇ ਵਸਿ ਹੈ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਲ ਰਖੀ ਧਾਰਿ ॥੨॥
कारणु करते वसि है जिनि कल रखी धारि ॥२॥
Kāraṇ karṯe vas hai jin kal rakẖī ḏẖār. ||2||
The Creation is under the control of the Creator. By His Power, He sustains and supports it. ||2||
ਜੋਗ ਸਬਦੰ ਗਿਆਨ ਸਬਦੰ ਬੇਦ ਸਬਦੰ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣਹ
जोग सबदं गिआन सबदं बेद सबदं त ब्राहमणह ॥
Jog sabḏaʼn gi▫ān sabḏaʼn beḏ sabḏaʼn ṯa barahmaṇėh.
The Shabad is Yoga, the Shabad is spiritual wisdom; the Shabad is the Vedas for the Brahmin.
ਖ੍ਯ੍ਯਤ੍ਰੀ ਸਬਦੰ ਸੂਰ ਸਬਦੰ ਸੂਦ੍ਰ ਸਬਦੰ ਪਰਾ ਕ੍ਰਿਤਹ
ख्यत्री सबदं सूर सबदं सूद्र सबदं परा क्रितह ॥
Kẖa▫yṯarī sabḏaʼn sūr sabḏaʼn sūḏar sabḏaʼn parā kirṯėh.
The Shabad is heroic bravery for the Kshatriya; the Shabad is service to others for the Soodra.
ਸਰਬ ਸਬਦੰ ਏਕ ਸਬਦੰ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਜਾਨਸਿ ਭੇਉ
सरब सबदं त एक सबदं जे को जानसि भेउ ॥
Sarab sabḏaʼn ṯa ek sabḏaʼn je ko jānas bẖe▫o.
The Shabad for all is the Shabad, the Word of the One God, for one who knows this secret.
ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾ ਕੋ ਦਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦੇਉ ॥੩॥
नानक ता को दासु है सोई निरंजन देउ ॥३॥
Nānak ṯā ko ḏās hai so▫ī niranjan ḏe▫o. ||3||
Nanak is the slave of the Divine, Immaculate Lord. ||3||
ਏਕ ਕ੍ਰਿਸ੍ਨੰ ਸਰਬ ਦੇਵਾ ਦੇਵ ਦੇਵਾ ਆਤਮਹ
एक क्रिस्नं त सरब देवा देव देवा त आतमह ॥
Ėk krisanʼn ṯa sarab ḏevā ḏev ḏevā ṯa āṯmah.
The One Lord is the Divinity of all divinities and he is the Divinity of the soul;
ਆਤਮੰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਬਾਸ੍ਵਦੇਵਸ੍ਯ੍ਯ ਜੇ ਕੋਈ ਜਾਨਸਿ ਭੇਵ
आतमं स्री बास्वदेवस्य जे कोई जानसि भेव ॥
Āṯmaʼn sarī bāsavḏaivas▫y je ko▫ī jānas bẖev.
if any one knows the mystery of the soul and the Omnipresent Lord.
ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾ ਕੋ ਦਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦੇਵ ॥੪॥
नानक ता को दासु है सोई निरंजन देव ॥४॥
Nānak ṯā ko ḏās hai so▫ī niranjan ḏev. ||4||
Nanak is the slave of that one who knows the Secrets of the soul and the Supreme Lord God. He is the Divine Immaculate Lord Himself. ||4||
Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Thanks Ambarsaria ji.

Question to all: If head covering wasn't considered important enough by the Guru to be included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as an order for Sikhs to do it, then where does the big deal come from? How do Sikhs get practices from sources other than their Guru?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks Ambarsaria ji.

Question to all: If head covering wasn't considered important enough by the Guru to be included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as an order for Sikhs to do it, then where does the big deal come from? How do Sikhs get practices from sources other than their Guru?
Ishna ji I am not a scholar in this kind of discussion but a lay person.

My thoughts would be it is cultural, social and practical that leads into a uniqueness of persona if adopted well, as in Sikhisim.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
to be included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Things which are not explicitly included in Guru Granth Sahib - suggestion to go to SPN and share views :) and Your and mine existence. But if things are not stated, doesn't mean you don't have to do it.

ਵਜਾਇਆ ਵਾਜਾ ਪਉਣ ਨਉ ਦੁਆਰੇ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਕੀਏ ਦਸਵਾ ਗੁਪਤੁ ਰਖਾਇਆ ॥
He blew the breath of life into the musical instrument of the body, and revealed the nine doors; but He kept the Tenth Door hidden.

Guru clearly says that the Tenth Door is hidden. As are so many things. They come forth as one practices the Shabad of Guru. But for what is known, we tie a top knot which is meant to be our spiritual (and perhaps physical) location of the Tenth Door. We tie turban around our head to protect it and hair and our crackable skulls. Is the safety of your brain important to you or not?

If everyone is to cover our heads all the time to please God then why aren't we born with a head covering

If you think so, then I believe all birds should be born with nests. Is it so? No. Birds have to build their own nests. Sikhs have to tie their own turbans.

Finally my advice is that it is good to question, but lack of answers doesn't mean one should give up following Maryada.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh ji

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Great post Kanwajit ji. I'm not suggesting giving up Maryada, just trying to get ideas from outside the box. Examples about turbans are fine however it is strange to be targeted to men and not all people.

WHY do vast majority of women cover their heads with chunnis/dupattas and not turbans?

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Forgive for being blunt.

Sikhisn was there till the Gobibd Singh batiste the 5 pyare. Non of the Guru from the 1st to 9th gave any instructions to cover the head. Even the 10th never made it compulsory for every Sikh only those do the amrit pan.
The majyada is set up by men after the gurus were gone. Now if this marjyada passes that will become the law just like the other marjyadas.

We have to think where we want to take this great Idea?

It is mean that those who don’t take amrit are not Sikhs?
As for Kanwaljit Singh
I would suggest if you are reading a laptop for Baani don't use it (even to listen to music or browse) in the washroom while sitting on the thinking pot..

In India there are speaker blasting bani from 4am. What shall one do as far as going to the think pot? How can we not listen to bani then?

I am sorry that I offended many here. But truth always hurt

Why is that when I try to reply with quat in the message come back thar message is too short to post? Need help here

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM