• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Think Of Your Life As An Expression Of God

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Think of your life as an expression of God

Guest article by: Carol Powel Smith

How often do you ask yourself "What’s it all about?"" What’s my purpose?" "Where am I going?" Like most people, many times I would imagine.

In reality we won’t know the answer to that question while we are alive. We can speculate and guess and make educated hypotheses. We can also learn to listen to our inner voice, telling us that something just feels right.

For some, being on Earth is to wake up in the morning, do your “thing” during the day and go to bed at night, then repeat it all the next day; with no in-depth meaning of what life is about. For others, being on Earth is about experiencing life, being glad you are alive and looking forward to the next day because it has meaning for you.

There will always be extremists who believe in one extreme or another. At one end are the people who view life as having no meaning. They don’t believe in God or any form of a higher Being. Its okay when things are going well but they are ill equipped to handle the rough spots. At the other end are the people who have a deep-seated belief in a Divine Being. These people have something to fall back onto when the going gets rough. It may still be painful but nevertheless, they have some form of meaning in their life.

Why are we here? Those who have no religious or spiritual beliefs won’t care very much. “Maybe its all an accident of nature” say some. “We were cloned and put here from another planet to populate Earth” say others. Fortunately, there are many that believe that we are here on planet Earth to grow in consciousness, to express love and even be a co-creator with God.

Surprisingly, many people who live in tyranny and desperate poverty are able to grow in consciousness despite the absence of outside ideas or help. One would think that the daily challenge of subsistence living would take all of their effort. Nevertheless, many develop a deep belief system –individually or with their local group- and often seem to achieve that growth more quickly than people in more affluent countries.

We should never lose sight of the fact that the United States is a wonderful place to live. Here we have above all, freedom of speech and belief. Our environment is conducive for learning and expanding our consciousness. However, all the luxuries that we have often make us lose track of the significance of keeping in touch with our spiritual side. To grow in consciousness and be an expression of the Divine Source requires some effort on our part. But, it is well worth the effort.

Think of your life as an expression of God, experiencing a journey on planet Earth. Learning to be a creature of love, still faced with trials and obstacles of everyday life but developing faith and trust in a Divine Plan. Know that there is a reason for your life, and if we all start by trusting the Divine Source, life is less painful, more tranquil, and more rewarding. We all have a choice in life; to be kind and understanding or be cold and uncaring, with no concern for others. You will find that life actually goes more smoothly for you if you follow the path of Loving-Kindness.

Every time someone does a kind deed or says words of kindness it helps to raise the level of consciousness as a whole. Just think what a wonderful world it would be, if everyday each person consciously committed an act of loving-kindness. It doesn’t take much, just a smile or even making eye contact with someone whom is in need of a “pick me up.” Then think what the world would be like if we all went around self-serving and full of bitterness, each person caring only for him or her self. Not a very pretty picture, surely not what the Creator had in mind, not what its all about.

The world is made a better place one step at a time by each one of us taking the time to be considerate and caring. It really doesn't take much effort on our part and the benefits are well worth it. Try it, you might like it!

About this Contributor: Carol Powel Smith is a retired Radiation Therapist with over 20 years experience working in Clinical Cancer Care. She is a graduate of the Quantum Quest School of Advanced Healing and Enlightenment and is a Certified Healer and Counselor. She has a practice in St. Augustine, FL.

http://healing.about.com/od/randomactsofkindness/a/lifepurpose.htm

Anoop

SPNer
Mar 12, 2006
London Uk
i agree, im not agaisnt any religions, but would god really care about religions? I mean, guru nanak didnt learn anything from a religion. Guru nanak dev ji expressed who he really was. I admit i can never be as pur as guru nanak dev ji, and if i was, then it would just be trying to make a character up for myself. I think everyone is different, some need religion some dont. If we stick to some religion, we ma not even grow. If we just be ourself and contine this adventure of life, thats all there is to it, we are growing. Why do people even need religion? Is it because they think they are going to go to the right path? Why arnt people happy with what they are? It depends, people need religion, some people dont. If you just be yourself, there is not much ego, and not to much of spiritualism. You get the be yourself thats all, and have knowledge of god at the same time. For me i think god is life expressing itself, life is god exploring godself. We come up with a theory that we msut reach to god, and yet we get dissapointed. Its like acting! Something we dotne ven know, we carry on doing it to meet that unknown thing, and it gets us depressed. Just be yourself, and love everything!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM