• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Trial Of Guru Ramdas

Mar 30, 2012
एक बार गुरु अमरदास जी ने अपने शिष्यों को एक जगह मिट्टी के चबूतरे बनाने के लिए कहा | जब चबूतरे बन गए तो गुरु साहिब ने कहा: ये ठीक नहीं हैं, इन्हें गिराकर फिर से बनाओ | गुरु साहिब बार-बार चबूतरे बनवाते रहे और गिरवाते रहे | धीरे-धीरे चबूतरे बनवाने वाले और गिरानेवालों की संख्या कम होने लगी | अंत में केवल रामदास जी ही रह गये | कुछ लोगों ने उनसे कहा कि क्या तुम्हारे बुद्धि भी गुरु की तरह भ्रष्ट हो गयी है जो शायद उम्र के कारण सठिया गये हैं | रामदास जी की आँखों में आंसू आ गये, बोले कि अगर गुरु की बुद्धि खराब हो गयी तो फिर दुनिया में कौन बचेगा जिसकी बुद्धि कायम हो | यदि गुरु अमरदास जी मुझे आजीवन चबूतरे बनाने या गिराने में ही लगायें रखेंगे, तो भी रामदास लगा रहेगा | यह है गुरु पर विश्वास और गुरु के हुक्म का पालन !

कहा जाता है कि गुरु रामदास जी ने सत्तर बार चबूतरे बनाये और गिराये | इस पर गुरु अमरदास जी ने कहा: रामदास ! तू भी अब चबूतरे बनाने छोड़ दे | मैं तुझ पर प्रश्न बहुत प्रसन्न हूँ, क्योंकि एक तू ही है जिसने बिना कहे पूरे विश्वास के साथ मेरा हुक्म माना है | गुरु साहिब क्यों चबूतरे बनवाते और गिराते रहे ? केवल इसलिए कि जिस ह्रदय में राम नाम की दौलत रखनी है और जिससे असंख्य लोगों को लाभ प्राप्त करना है, वह ह्रदय भी इसके योग्य होना चाहिये | रामदास जी का अटूट प्रेम देखकर गुरु अमरदास जी ने उन्हें गले लगाया और रूहानी दौलत से भरपूर कर दिया |

साधक के अन्दर जो प्रेम और विश्वास होता है, उसमें सतगुरु की दया-मेहर के साथ शिष्य की साधना भी शामिल होती है | जब तक शिष्य राम नाम के अभ्यास द्वारा गुरु के दिव्य तेज़ को नहीं देख लेता उसके अन्दर सतगुरु के लिए पूर्ण विश्वास पैदा नहीं हो सकता | इस घटना द्वारा गुरु साहिब संगत को समझा रहे हैं कि रामदास जी पूर्ण गुरुमुख थे |

One day Guru Amardas asked his disciples to make earthen platforms. When they got ready then Guru Sahib said, ” These are not okay, make them again.”In this way, Guru Sahib kept on asking to make these platform again and again. Gradually, the crowd making and breaking these platforms started getting reduced. In the end only Ramdas was left alone. People asked Ramdas that whether has gone mad along with the Guru Sahib who has perhaps gone senile due to old age. Ramdas started weeping that if Guru has gone senile then who in the world can be mentally stable. If he orders me to make and break platform for the whole life, I will keep on doing it. This is the example of true obedience and faith in the perfect master (Satguru).

It is said that Ramdas made and broke the platform seventy times. On this Guru Amardas said, “Ramdas ! Now you also stop making these platforms. I am very happy with you, because only you had followed my order with full trust without demur. Why Guru was making these platforms again and again ? Because he wanted to test the capability of seeker for sowing the seed of Namdan in his heart which could benefit the millions of people. After seeing the unshakeable love of Ramdas, he embarrassed Ramdas and graced him with the treasure of Ram Naam.

The faith and love inside the seeker’s heart develops with his own efforts and grace of the Almighty. Until the seeker does not witness the divine glory of Satguru inside the spiritual realm, he cannot develop unflinching faith and love for his Satguru. Guru Amardas showed the devotees that Ramdas was also a enlightened person by this episode.

Mar 30, 2012
Is this sakhi written somewhere or completely oral tradition?
Dear Bhagat Singh Ji,

I heard this Sakhi while listening to audio cassette of a Ragi long time back. Actually I like the message of Guru Sewa in this story. It is also available in Gyan Ratnavali of Bhai Mani Singh based on the first Var of Bhai Gurdas.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: