• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The 8 Steps To Dying In Sikhism

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Step 1 Embracing the lies

At step 1, you take in current popular thinking of Sikhi, the caste system, the different stereotypes of the caste system, you make judgements and observations based on this system, you allow yourself to have a Abrahamic and Vedic view of Sikhism, you are heavy on ritual and superstition, you respect others who are ritualistic and superstitious as pinnacles of Sikhism, but in your heart you really don't get it, its like the Emperors new clothes, you nod, and smile, and attempt to understand, and you get the impression everyone else is bemused as you, but say nothing

Step 2 Finding the truth

At step 2, normally after some personal tragedy, you make a few more enquiries into the foundations of Sikhi, you trawl websites, try and find information, and are presented with a myriad of views and opinions as to what sikhi is, you find living Gurus, distortions of Bani, different views on food, lifestyle, meditation, reincarnation, and it gets very confusing, you are not sure whether to believe in everything, or just the bits that feel right to you

Step 3 Embracing the truth

Step 3 brings forward much understanding and soul searching, one way or another, either through meditation or self analysis you manage to get a vague idea of who you are, and what you are about, it bothers you that you may be missing the message, as step 3 involves a commitment to your truth, and your perception on interpretation, you embrace your own Sikhi, and draw up what Sikhi means to you as an individual, you find yourself at odds with those that believe in facets that you reject. Until you see the futility of arguing over these differences this step can take years to break out of, but finally, one day, the sheer lack of any point in arguing and debating over very tiny details appeals to you, and see the differences as minor and irrelevant. You do however feel it necessary to fight for the most basic and fundamental building block of Sikhism to be respected, namely that there is only one God, and that God is formless and without birth and death.

Step 4 Living the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

You are now ready for step 4, and this is to live the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, to show respect for all other opinions, to embrace from any person of any adherent any jewel of information that is in line with your thinking of Sikhi, and to politely get away from wasting time and energy in pointless debate of matters that are meaningless and designed solely to clutter the brain. You accept views with grace and understanding, you accept that there are many views and concepts, but you also accept that it is the underlying personal attitude to living that is the most important, you may come across people with completely different lifestyles and views to yours, but it is the goodness and love in the heart that is the most important judge of a person, if being a vegan makes a person a better person, rejoice in that persons choice, accept the beauty that veganism gives to this person, ensure you do not make enemies for these little small minor details.

Step 5 Detachment and Hukam

At stage 5 you allow yourself to take a step back and realise the game that is played out every day in front of you, you now have some idea of the truth, and you put your faith in it completely, the truth is more important than anything, you see the diversions of life for what they are, diversions.If you are lucky, you will surround yourself with likeminded people, people whom you love, that share your views, people with whom you can grow with, you accept completely the Hukam, but are aware that this concept only works if you live by the Hukam. This Hukam becomes one of the most important things in your life, it is a code of conduct and it is grounded on your life experiences, and submission to the ultimate truth, you know in your heart what is Hukam, and what is not, and you know that the destiny that awaits you, the plan that Creator has in store for you is related strongly to following the Hukam as best you can, to do so is to achieve the grace and peace you crave, to defy is to crawl amongst the inhabitants of the underworlds, the mentally dead, the power hungry, the egoistical.

Step 6 Read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

You are now ready to read in its entirety and in the spirit in which it was written the most holy of guides, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and when you have finished, read it again, and again, and again, until the words are second nature, until all your life experiences and all your pain, anger, hunger, all add up to a sum of understanding tempered by the Sword of the Guru, at this point, you are ready for baptism, ready to give your head to Guruji in return for a lifetime of bliss and contentment, any problem, any of lifes issues can be quickly and speedily dealt with now, your perception increases, like a soldier you are now trained to deal with things in line with Sikhi by second nature, you find yourself surrounded by the 5 K's, you get up in the morning and concentrate and focus on the wise words that will guide your day, and do the same in the evening, everything is second nature, nothing is forced, nothing is a chore, all is a show of love, for Creator, for yourself, for Creation

Step 7 Baptism

You embrace baptism, you are now a Khalsa, it is now up to you to choose an area of Sikhi that is in line with your personality, some choose seva, some make money to share it with the needy, some preach, some defend pure Sikhi as they see it, there is a multitude of roads to follow, all of which lead to

Step 8 Sachkhand

Welcome to Sachkhand, a place where no one can harm you, where you feel a complete connection with Creator and the way Creator would have you live, no matter what happens to you, what bad fortune touches you, it makes no difference, you are on a different plane, a different level, your life goals are obvious to you, you know what you have to do, and you are blissfully happy and content, however, you never forget where you have come from, and how easy it is to succumb, and how easy it is to fall back into the pit of hell, at this stage, the worst facet of hell is to think you are in Sachkhand, but in reality your actions have put you back in hell, but you are not even aware of it, staying here is hard work, and requires constant vigilance and understanding, you carry on learning, carry on being enlightened, your bliss grows with every day, with every new thing learnt, you are even learning as you die

Death

You die, as you die, you die in the knowledge that you have tried to live in Hukam, and it has bought you much peace and happiness, you die in peace, without worry or fear, you die happy

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Sikhi begins with each day, death is death, no one can really say what happens with any conviction
Veer Harry Haller ji I believe sp ji may be referring to the baptization where we die and are re-born to be Khalsa. I could be mistaken. That is why I thanked him. Of course Kamala ji is her traditional essence of stupidity adding no value other than getting people's adrenalin going in spurts. May be there is something positive in that too.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Veer Harry Haller ji I believe sp ji may be referring to the baptization where we die and are re-born to be Khalsa. I could be mistaken. That is why I thanked him. Of course Kamala ji is her traditional essence of stupidity adding no value other than getting people's adrenalin going in spurts. May be there is something positive in that too.

Sat Sri Akal.

Baptism is stage 7! Death is death, but sincere thanks for clarfication, you had me concerned for a minute that you had gone over to the other side!

Maybe the thought of bubble gum pink jumpsuits had swayed you, but to see your thanks next to Kamalaji is priceless! lol lol lol

The quote was taken from Death, not stage 7, although I respect the view that Sikhi begins at death, it is not something I believe in

GURFATEH

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Veer Ji How should you live in step 4 that which you are to read in step 6.

Sp Veerji

This is a personal post, and may only apply to me, and me alone,

Step 4 is when you realise that your life experiences are in line with the small amount of bani you have understood. You take what comes naturally through your experiences and start truthful living, honest living, and living without fear, I suppose you live the Mool Mantra, you are at this stage embracing only the first 10 lines of the SGGS, I should have made myself clearer, apologies

In effect it is the time when you realise that your understanding of life is in line with Bani, but you are still not ready for complete study of the SGGS until you have completed step 5.

I am currently at step 5

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Isn't going through all the experiences of life a build up to the actual beginning ?
Beginning being death itself. We don't know what exactly happens but we do want it to be the start of liberation, release, unity with the creator??

Isn't being a sikh(learner) about living through the life experiences at the same time, whilst learning??

When do we expect to attain salvation or mukhti ?

Lucky Singh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Isn't going through all the experiences of life a build up to the actual beginning ?
Beginning being death itself. We don't know what exactly happens but we do want it to be the start of liberation, release, unity with the creator??

Isn't being a sikh(learner) about living through the life experiences at the same time, whilst learning??

Lucky Singh
Luckysingh ji you are in "salvation or mukti" when you live per your soul so that there is no conflict between deep inner and veneer outer. You will see the benefits right away.

Try it for small things and bigger chunks of life.

Sat Sri Akal

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Lucky Singh

Luckyji

This is only my own interpretation, I am not in the business of preaching or swaying others, however if my experience assists another, that would make me very happy indeed.

The beginning is birth as far as I am concerned, and as soon as you have rational thought, the chance of Mukti is there here and right now, today!

Death is death, it is nothing, it is the end,

the bits between are the bits to be enjoyed, or cursed, depending on your outlook, some have awful lives, through no fault of their own, some have awful lives through their own hands, and some have beautiful blissful lives regardless what happens to them, they are the true Khalsa.

Creator did not put me here for my life to be a test, there is enough material to study, then graduate and live, today my friend, we find Mukti, by following Hukam.

Yesterday I spent the day in Mukti, we ate simply, spent the day with our dying dog, we cleaned, We remembered Creator, We all jumped in bed in the afternoon, lit the fire, and stroked Alfie, and fussed over him, Sian brushed him while I read out forum posts of others that interested me, We fell asleep by the dying glow of the fire, any interaction we had with others, be they human or animal was in line with Hukam, Mukti

Saturday was different, we ate rich, I had a row with someone over a parking space, well they had a row with me, but my behaviour was not in line with Hukam, I shouted and swore back, (and regretted it), by the end of the day I was unsettled as I had risen to something I should not have, and we both had indigestion, the day was not all bad, but it was not Mukti

Today I will try harder

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM